Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2015, 07:15 AM   #51
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Alvin Gentry got hired by New Orleans - if Anthony Davis becomes a 3-point shooter, it will probably be under this guy.

I get that 3-point shooting big men are more valuable in 2015 than close to the rim guys. But something seems wrong about a guy with the talent to become David Robinson or Hakeem Olajuwon learning to stand in the corner and waive his hands.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #52
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Davis adding a reliable 3 point shot will be the difference between him being a multiple MVP and likely HOFer and him becoming one of the 10 best players of all time.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:41 PM   #53
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I get that 3-point shooting big men are more valuable in 2015 than close to the rim guys. But something seems wrong about a guy with the talent to become David Robinson or Hakeem Olajuwon learning to stand in the corner and waive his hands.

It's not deciding between close shots and three pointers, it's midrange and threes, and Davis already shoots a lot from 18-20 feet. Nobody has the talent to become Hakeem or David Robinson in 2015 because you can't back somebody down 1-on-1 for 10+ seconds.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:46 PM   #54
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Davis was a point guard thru 11th grade, right?
Old 05-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #55
Alf
Pro Starter

Non surprising moves so far.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #56
nol
Banned

Oh boy, the Clippers are possibly trading for Lance Stephenson. They'd be giving up Matt Barnes and Hawes.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #57
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like Embiid is still not right.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #58
Groundhog
Coordinator

Stephenson's issues are 90% mental and theres a good chance he can bounce back IMO. I'd probably take that gamble if I'm the Clippers.

Doesn't look good for Embiid or the Sixers. Really interested to see what they do in the draft now, PG or maybe trade down for size.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #59
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh boy, the Clippers are possibly trading for Lance Stephenson. They'd be giving up Matt Barnes and Hawes.

Oof.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #60
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Stephenson's issues are 90% mental and theres a good chance he can bounce back IMO. I'd probably take that gamble if I'm the Clippers.

I probably would too but it's definitely a gamble. When the Clippers have looked championship-caliber, Matt Barnes is knocking down threes at a respectable rate. He had a rough playoffs and is getting up there in years, so it very well could be the right time to move on (and moving the Hawes contract is nice too), but that 16% three-point shooting in conjunction with how the Clippers lost Game 6 to the Rockets is tough to stomach.

One draft guy I'm really not getting the hype on is Porzingis. Don't think he'll wash out of the league in 3 years or anything, but I'm having a really hard time foreseeing him as an All-Star level player.

To me, the Embiid news seems like a calculated move by the 76ers to give some credence to the idea they would draft someone like Okafor if he's there at 3, which would possibly make some teams contact them with a stronger trade offer.

Last edited by nol : 06-15-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #61
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Pistons getting Ilysova fofor nothing a few weeks ago seemed like a good trade.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:54 PM   #62
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Lance and CP3? On the same team?

Interesting.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:35 AM   #63
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Lance Stephenson will never be a member of a championship team.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #64
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Pistons getting Ilysova fofor nothing a few weeks ago seemed like a good trade.

I liked the trade. Basically gave up nothing for him.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #65
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
I liked the trade. Basically gave up nothing for him.

Yeah, that was a pure salary dump for Milwaukee. I don't know what they're gonna do with the cap room beyond re-signing Middleton.

Players like Ilyasova are in kind of an interesting place right now as teams are becoming comfortable with playing 'stretch 4s' who are pretty much traditional small forwards. Guys in that Harrison Barnes/Andre Iguodala mold are going to have the same effect on players like Ilyasova or Ryan Anderson that those players had on the traditional PFs that didn't have much of a perimeter game.

Last edited by nol : 06-16-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #66
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I'm starting to get a little worried about the Celtics actually signing Greg Monroe. I guess if it's like Evan Turner or Paul Millsap and they get him for a shockingly low per year figure, but I wouldn't even pay him 8 figures, and I think he'll sign for above that.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #67
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

So now apparently the Sixers will have no management issues, thanks to self-declared 'basketball genius' AI.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #68
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm starting to get a little worried about the Celtics actually signing Greg Monroe. I guess if it's like Evan Turner or Paul Millsap and they get him for a shockingly low per year figure, but I wouldn't even pay him 8 figures, and I think he'll sign for above that.

I think the Knicks will get desperate and pay him a lot of money when they strike out on everyone else.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #69
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Yeah not sure why they are so focused on big guys that is not what the game is built around anymore and the Warriors along with other teams are proving this is a guard especially PG drive league and you need at least one all star on your team. The Celtics have neither of those aspects though they have very strong PGs not sure they have anything remotely near a star. Lastly, all these mid/ late first round and second round picks are nearly worthless unless they can bundle them all for one or two young stars.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #70
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think the whole 'bigmen are dead' argument is a bit premature. The Warriors still played Bogut (and Ezeli/Speights et al) a good deal until the finals because of the matchups, and it was the fact that TT and Mozgov just weren't mobile enough to pester Curry and co on the picks that made bigs unplayable and let the Warriors run so long with no traditional post players on the court.

Monroe can easily be a quality starting 5 man in today's NBA IMO, as long as you have the right guys at the 4 and 3 spots to compliment him - versatile tweeners who can stretch the court and do a little bit of everything. I think having him as a 4 man and sharing the court with another big who isn't a stretch shooter runs contrary to what seems to be the winning formula as far as spacing goes these days.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #71
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Yeah not sure why they are so focused on big guys that is not what the game is built around anymore and the Warriors along with other teams are proving this is a guard especially PG drive league and you need at least one all star on your team. The Celtics have neither of those aspects though they have very strong PGs not sure they have anything remotely near a star. Lastly, all these mid/ late first round and second round picks are nearly worthless unless they can bundle them all for one or two young stars.

The Warriors proved that if you have a 3-4 guys 6'6" or taller who can all guard multiple positions, attack the basket off the dribble, and knock down three-pointers at a passable rate, you can go small and have a lot of success. Teams have tried this with worse players (mid-2000s Atlanta Hawks come to mind) and not done particularly well, so there's still room to get players you think are actually good rather than trying to duplicate whatever the championship-winning team did.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #72
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
The Warriors proved that if you have a 3-4 guys 6'6" or taller who can all guard multiple positions, attack the basket off the dribble, and knock down three-pointers at a passable rate, you can go small and have a lot of success. Teams have tried this with worse players (mid-2000s Atlanta Hawks come to mind) and not done particularly well, so there's still room to get players you think are actually good rather than trying to duplicate whatever the championship-winning team did.

Yep, I think people are getting a little too excited with the "Warriors formula". Green took a big leap forward this year, and he is basically the reason the Warriors are able to play the style that they do and not get killed on the other side of the court. The Warriors are just a hell of a team, and that's why it works. You can win it all with a more traditional lineup, just look at the Spurs last year. They shuffled things around during the playoffs as needed, and sometimes it was a traditional Duncan/Splitter frontcourt, and sometimes it was Duncan/Diaw.

Matchups are the key, and the Spurs last year and Warriors this year were deep enough and skilled enough to counter and beat what the opponents were trying to do.

Last edited by Groundhog : 06-19-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #73
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think the Knicks will get desperate and pay him a lot of money when they strike out on everyone else.

Someone is going to way over pay Enes Kanter as well
Old 06-20-2015, 02:22 AM   #74
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So what's up with the draft? The guy who maybe interests me the most is Kristaps Porzingis. I can't really find a reasonable game film, but he really seems to move well in workouts and has good size and footwork. Obviously he's going to need to hit the gym as he looks like he'd get posted up to death. I'm going to say that he's more likely to be in that Gasol/Dirk/AK47 mode rather than the Tshkivilli/Darko/Wizards guy(name escapes me) mode. Also can't seem to find any wingspan/height measurements but I've seen that he's somewhere between 6'11 and 7'2 Hopefully he somehow avoids going to the Sixers.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:18 PM   #75
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

One draft guy I'm really not getting the hype on is Porzingis. Don't think he'll wash out of the league in 3 years or anything, but I'm having a really hard time foreseeing him as an All-Star level player.

Quote:
So what's up with the draft? The guy who maybe interests me the most is Kristaps Porzingis.

lol

2 enter 1 leaves
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #76
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
lol

2 enter 1 leaves

I know. Right?

Maybe I overrate the way big guys move but his footwork looks enticing.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #77
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-

Yes there was no chair guarding him in the vids I saw. Maybe he is Yi Jainlain(sp) 2.0
Old 06-21-2015, 12:46 AM   #78
Groundhog
Coordinator

nol I'm sure has seen more of him than me, but I've watched a fair bit of video on Porzingis over the last month and a couple of full games. He's going to struggle to finish around the basket with his frame and I didn't see much in the way of ball handling ability with him, but he's got really nice touch and is deceptively athletic, and seems to fit the mould of what you want in a 4 man these days. I'd roll the dice on him at #3 over Russell, but I think the Sixers will probably go Russell as it's probably a close race between the two with PG more of a need.

Last edited by Groundhog : 06-21-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:48 AM   #79
Groundhog
Coordinator

dola

Having said that, I also have a weird feeling that if the Knicks go with Porzingis, he is destined to be a bust.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:54 AM   #80
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think Magic might be the most interesting team in the top 5. If I were Orlando and Russell or Mudiay fell to me, I'd be real tempted to look to move Payton - assuming he hasn't magically learnt to shoot. I'm not sure you can be a winning team in the NBA today if defenders don't respect your PGs ability to shoot.

I didn't like Gordon prior to the draft and saw nothing from him as a rookie to convince me that he's their future at PF (or SF), so if I were the Magic I'd be looking for options at his positions too.

If I were Orlando, I'd draft Porzingis, Russell, Winslow, Cauley-Stein, or Hezonja, in that order.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:53 AM   #81
nol
Banned

Quote:
I know. Right?

Maybe I overrate the way big guys move but his footwork looks enticing.

My thing is more that every European player has to get compared to every other European player, so people think he can only be Pau Gasol or Dirk if he's good and Darko or Tskitishvili (sp?) if he's bad. I think you can safely rule out Pau/Dirk as best-case scenarios because he does not have anywhere near the creativity or floor vision that Pau or Dirk had, and when you combine that with the likelihood that he won't be finishing at the rim against NBA athletes very well, I don't think he could be any better on offense than someone like Ryan Anderson - aka a good stretch big man whose effectiveness teams can severely limit by running him off the arc.

Now, a version of Ryan Anderson who can play defense at a pretty passable level (Porzingis is decently athletic but appears a long shot to have the kind of basketball IQ necessary to be a top-notch rim protector) is a very solid player, I think players like Russell and Okafor have a better shot at being franchise players.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #82
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lemme clarify. I think Porzingis should go 3rd or 4th due to the uncertainty. Is his frame going to hold some muscle? Can he fall in love with the weight room?

There are so many drafts where a guy with a dash of AK47 and a dash of Ryan Anderson would be a easy top 5 player in the class.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #83
nol
Banned

Quote:
Lemme clarify. I think Porzingis should go 3rd or 4th due to the uncertainty. Is his frame going to hold some muscle? Can he fall in love with the weight room?

There are so many drafts where a guy with a dash of AK47 and a dash of Ryan Anderson would be a easy top 5 player in the class.

Just to clarify, he won't be as good a shooter as Ryan Anderson - they're just similar in that even on their best shooting days, you can sell out on defense to prevent them from shooting 3s and live with them trying to put the ball on the floor and make a play.

I think if Mario Hezonja was available to have a 1-on-0 workout (instead he's playing in the Spanish league finals, where he had 18 off the bench in game 1) that focused on threes and dunks, he'd look even more impressive than Porzingis did. If I were the Knicks at 4 and the first three picks were Towns, Okafor, and Russell, I'd very much want to trade down; if some teams honestly think Porzingis is in the conversation for #1 overall and are not just smokescreening there should be some good offers (the Knicks are more than one player away from being good anyways) and I think there will be guys available in the 7-10 range who have just as much, if not more upside than Porzingis.

Last edited by nol : 06-21-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #84
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Unhappy

Quote:
So what's up with the draft? The guy who maybe interests me the most is Kristaps Porzingis. I can't really find a reasonable game film, but he really seems to move well in workouts and has good size and footwork. Obviously he's going to need to hit the gym as he looks like he'd get posted up to death. I'm going to say that he's more likely to be in that Gasol/Dirk/AK47 mode rather than the Tshkivilli/Darko/Wizards guy(name escapes me) mode. Also can't seem to find any wingspan/height measurements but I've seen that he's somewhere between 6'11 and 7'2 Hopefully he somehow avoids going to the Sixers.
Latvian Kelly Olynyk.

Rumors have the Celtics trying to trade up, and I hope they do. Stanley Johnson and Myles Turner are both players I'd love that I think will go in the 9-12 range (and it sounds like Charlotte wants a 2-guard, most of whom would be slight reaches at 9). At 16, Kelly Oubre is my favorite in a vacuum, but seems too similar to James Young for us to develop both at once. I love Bobby Portis's motor, but think Kevon Looney will be a better player. Hollis-Jefferson is a rotation player, but will never develop an offensive game imo. Maybe if he slips to 28. Delon Wright is old, but secretly one of my favorites. A great defender who can guard multiple perimeter positions and probably hold his own off in the post off a P&R mismatch, who can create some offense and will be ready to contribute during his rookie deal? Sign me up. Having said all that, we'll probably draft one of the Wisconsin guys.

At 28 (if we don't trade it) or 33 a lot of fans want Robert Upshaw, but I get less of an "immature" vibe off him and more of an "he's actually a bad person" one. I like Justin Anderson, Richaun Holmes, Andrew Harrison and the two UNLV guys. Or obviously one of Hollis-jefferson/Wright if they slide.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #85
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dwayne Wade?

I see Kobe is still trying to get that one last ring..
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #86
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Dwayne Wade?

I see Kobe is still trying to get that one last ring..

I see Dwayne Wade is still trying to get some leverage for that one last contract.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:06 PM   #87
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the saying the O word, bishop
Old 06-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #88
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So I've been hearing rumors that the Warriors are going to have to package their #1 pick to move David Lee. Am I the only one that thinks that is crazy? He's an expiring contract and despite coming off the bench all season, it's pretty obvious he's still a very good player.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:13 PM   #89
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
So I've been hearing rumors that the Warriors are going to have to package their #1 pick to move David Lee. Am I the only one that thinks that is crazy? He's an expiring contract and despite coming off the bench all season, it's pretty obvious he's still a very good player.

No, there are probably a half dozen teams with the cap room to take on $15 million in salary and a future Warriors pick is likely to be very late in the first round.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #90
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I see Dwayne Wade is still trying to get some leverage for that one last contract.

Pretty much. I also see this as an attempt by the Players Association to end the practice of the best players on individual teams taking less money.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #91
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If we're losing Love, I'd gladly package Haywood and parts for Lee.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #92
nol
Banned

Quote:
If we're losing Love, I'd gladly package Haywood and parts for Lee.

The Cavs would need another shooter more than another PF in that situation. Lee is Kevin Love without a three-point shot, and the three was all Love had going for him for a pretty big chunk of last year.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #93
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure who else we can get for Haywood that would be any better. Would have taken Ilysova but already was dealt.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #94
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

The going rate for a 1st round pick is $10 million. Lee is over that and it's for the worst pick in the 1st round. So I don't even think that'd be enough to take him off their hands.

I've heard a couple other options. Lee would work out a buyout with another team in advance. Warriors would package their 1st with him to that team who would buy him out. That would then let Lee be able to sign elsewhere before the season. The other option is to just waive him and use the stretch provision.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:50 PM   #95
nol
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure who else we can get for Haywood that would be any better. Would have taken Ilysova but already was dealt.

Marvin Williams is someone I can think of, but I'd guess the more attractive options would be trading Haywood and some other cheap player like Joe Harris for a couple guys who are paid in the $4-5 million range. Especially if some team whiffs in free agency and wants to get into cap saving/tanking mode, Cleveland can pretty much do what they did with the Shumpert/Smith trade.

Last edited by nol : 06-22-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:15 PM   #96
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lee can't be stretch provisioned. One of few players left. Might be the last.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:32 AM   #97
Groundhog
Coordinator

Phil Jackson is now:

Old 06-23-2015, 02:24 AM   #98
nol
Banned

Kings are trying to trade Cousins. Between Kings fans' rightful pessimism that the front office will get any kind of decent return and Lakers fans' delusional optimism that their team can acquire superstars at no cost, the trade rumors will be pretty funny.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:58 AM   #99
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Kings are trying to trade Cousins. Between Kings fans' rightful pessimism that the front office will get any kind of decent return and Lakers fans' delusional optimism that their team can acquire superstars at no cost, the trade rumors will be pretty funny.

I just can't see the Kings trading him for anything less than the 2nd pick in the draft. He's a really good player on a really good deal.

I don't get what the Kings are doing.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:10 AM   #100
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I just can't see the Kings trading him for anything less than the 2nd pick in the draft. He's a really good player on a really good deal.

I don't get what the Kings are doing.

Kevin Love on an expiring contract got traded for the first pick (and the first overall pick the year before, but that's mostly incidental). It should take a lot more than that.