Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2005, 10:00 PM   #51
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Go this little text message from Clay around lunchtime - "Let's finish the game Doc, let's finish the game."
This is our "code" as our wives call it for getting pumped up for something big we have to do. It is from the horrible Young Guns movie, but we have always used it as a sort of shorthand to say, "I need to get this done!!". I am sure he is hyped up as he ever has been, now that we know that this might be his last game ever as a player.

Most people feel Tabor is about a 20 point underdog. That sounds about right to me. I was pretty close on the score last year, but this team is different. I think they have the heart to keep it close.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:49 PM   #52
Buzzbee
College Starter

Good luck to Clay and the Tabor boyz!!
Old 11-18-2005, 07:40 PM   #53
Senator

The big game is tomorrow at 1:30CST. I will be driving out with the family around 5:30am tomorrow morning for Wichita, Kansas. If anyone wants to listen to the game, I will put the link below. Even if they win, this will probably be the last game I get to see him play. This has been lots of fun.

TABOR VS GRACELAND 1:30 PM CST - NAIA PLAYOFF GAME
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 11-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And the dream continues

(Tense as all get out listening to the final 20 minutes or so)
Old 11-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #55
Senator

17-14 victory!! Incredible.

It was a great game, and now Clay has had every dream realized. I am still in shock they won. Wow.

I got to meet trirol after the game, whose son plays for Tabor as well. He is a super nice guy, and it was great getting to meet him. I think we were both in a little shock we had won.

Next up, are you ready for this? Tabor travels to Sioux Falls all over again like last year to play. Tabor has made the Final Eight.

Old 11-20-2005, 01:00 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

OLATHE, Kan. - The pairings for the quarterfinal round of the 2005 NAIA Football Championships Series are listed below. Each round is paired after the completion of the previous round as no bracket is predetermined. Semifinal teams will be paired on Sunday, December 3. Quarterfinal games will be played on November 26.

Quarterfinal Pairings - Saturday, November 26: (listed in chronological order)
#5 Georgetown (10-2) at #2 St. Francis (11-0), noon (Eastern)
#6 Tabor (11-0) at #4 Sioux Falls (10-1), noon (Central)
#10 Evangel (9-2) at #3 Morningside (11-0), 1 p.m. (Central)
#11 Montana Tech (9-3) at #1 Carroll (11-0), 12:05 (Mountain)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-20-2005 at 01:09 PM. Reason: edit to add rankings
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator

Absolutely as much fun as I've had following a game all year (I tuned in the radio broadcast about midway through the 3rd quarter) ... a real antacid chewer & I don't even know these guys, I can only begin to imagine how bad it was for the families. Heck, my wife was even yelling upstairs to get updates after I explained the scenario.

Great job by the Bluejays, just another installment on the best dynasty thread ever.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #58
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:

It was a great game, and now Clay has had every dream realized. I am still in shock they won. Wow.

I got to meet trirol after the game, whose son plays for Tabor as well. He is a super nice guy, and it was great getting to meet him. I think we were both in a little shock we had won.

Next up, are you ready for this? Tabor travels to Sioux Falls all over again like last year to play. Tabor has made the Final Eight.

Woooo!!! Great to hear.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:55 PM   #59
thealmighty
Pro Starter

wOOt!!!

I hate to be spoiled and selfish, but you wouldn't happen to have any video or audio, would you?
Old 11-20-2005, 04:15 PM   #60
JeeberD
General Manager

Awesome, amazing, incredible! I wonder what the dude from Post #49 has to say now?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:27 PM   #61
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Awesome, amazing, incredible! I wonder what the dude from Post #49 has to say now?

He says he called it. Tabor was +4 in turnovers, and he says that was the only way we win. Nice covering of yourself.

Old 11-20-2005, 04:28 PM   #62
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty
wOOt!!!

I hate to be spoiled and selfish, but you wouldn't happen to have any video or audio, would you?

I actually have the audio. I scheduled to record it from my PC when I was in Kansas, so I have it on audio. The file is big, let me see what I can do.

Old 11-21-2005, 12:18 AM   #63
Senator

I just got back from the Paul McCartney concert. This has been a very cool two days. When you have some bad days to compare it to, when days like this come around, I think you really cherish them.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:09 AM   #64
trirol
n00b

As Senator posted what a win! My face was hurting from the cold and the stupid smile that I couldn't wipe off my face after the win - it was bitter sweet for my son - he would have loved the opportunity to be on the field with his teammates, but he did not make the 52 man play-off squad, he made last year's playoff squad - but it was the first time in a long time my son and I were in the stands watching a sporting event together - I dont know yet if I'm going up to Sioux Falls again...the driving has really been hard this year physically and financially - last year's plane tickets were an early X'mas gift my wife and I gave to ourselves - it'll be a difficult decision even if he is activated for the game...I do hope the Magic continues at least one more game, just to avenge last year's loss -
trirol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:09 AM   #65
3ric
College Starter

Wo-hoo! Go Tabor!
Old 11-23-2005, 02:05 PM   #66
Senator

The game Saturday features the same three players from Sioux Falls that did the most damage to us last year. QB - Wright - RB Dvorka - WR Hovorka. Last year I said that the WR could have 200 yards and 4 tds against us. While he did his damage, the offensive line and RB was what tore us up with ease. I was hoping those three had graduated, but I find that they did not. Rats.

Sioux Falls is a very long trip - even on a plane... uggh.

In accordance with my brother and I long standing geek motivational techniques, I called his cell phone and left the screaming voice of the dad from Red Dawn screaming "AVENGE ME BOYS - AVENGE ME!!!!". No 72-11 this year. I say we give them a run for the money this year. But let us be honest. They are about twice as good as Graceland, and we only won by 3.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:01 PM   #67
Senator

AM Snow Showers

High: 28°
Low: 17

Old 11-25-2005, 01:08 PM   #68
Senator

Just got a call from Clay. They arrived by bus in Sioux Falls at midnight last night. They have been watching film all week, and they have a walk through today at 3pm CST.

He thinks the big difference between last year and this, is the offensive line they had is gone. He thinks they can stop the run, and the secondary had to defend quads against Graceland, and Sioux Falls runs a 2 receiver 1 tight end set. He thinks they can win, of course, and who am I to think they can't. I wish I was going.

Old 11-26-2005, 11:07 AM   #69
Senator

TABOR VS SIOUX FALLS - THE LAST GAME OR REVENGE SERVED Game Time 12:00 CST

Old 11-26-2005, 01:46 PM   #70
Senator

Sioux Falls 20 -5 at half.

Sioux Falls scored 14 points in the first 2 minutes of the game, and then Tabor stiffened and drove the ball, but missed 2 field goals. On a shuttlepass that was incomplete, they called it a Tabor fumble, and Sioux Falls scored - 20-3. On the extra point Tabor blocked it, and returned it for 2 points. 20-5 at half. Tabor needs to get in the endzone.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:48 PM   #71
Senator

DOLA:

I hate excuses. Don't believe in them. But, this official crew seems really bad. But, that is part of the game sometimes as well. You have to deal with it.

Old 11-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #72
Senator

40-13 now in the 4th. 5 turnovers for Tabor. Horvorka at WR just continues to amaze. 3TDS.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:26 PM   #73
Senator

Well, all things must come to an end, and so does this magnificent tale. I give my brother tremendous respect for living his dream, and he will be a better person for it. He gets to finish his education as well, and now go on and coach other young men with the things he learned from a successful program.

Thanks again this year for all the support, you guys are really great, with your own busy lives to show interest in this small story means alot to me.

Who knows, I might just toss aside the business world, and go coach with my brother at some little high school in west Texas. Who knows.

Old 11-26-2005, 07:44 PM   #74
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Rats, what a sad way to see it come to an end.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 08:02 PM   #75
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well, all things must come to an end, and so does this magnificent tale. I give my brother tremendous respect for living his dream, and he will be a better person for it. He gets to finish his education as well, and now go on and coach other young men with the things he learned from a successful program.

Thanks again this year for all the support, you guys are really great, with your own busy lives to show interest in this small story means alot to me.

Who knows, I might just toss aside the business world, and go coach with my brother at some little high school in west Texas. Who knows.

This has been the best dynasty i have read, even more knowing it's true not fictional about a game. Big congrats to your brother for what he has done.
Now i'm waiting for a future dynasty from your brother as coach, and as you said who knows, maybe you both together. You could also tell him to come to this thread and post at least once, we really admire him and his wife for being as supportive.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:11 PM   #76
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Now that the season is over, tell Clay to sign up for an account on FOFC and give us a chapter autobiography of the last 2 years of his life...at his own pace, of course. (Better copyright it, though, or some Hollywood prick will make the movie before y'all do).

Thank you for sharing this story with us. Best ever on this board, as ICy stated.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:43 AM   #77
Buzzbee
College Starter

*stands and applauds*

A note to Clay:

I've never met you. I've never even met your brother. Yet I am proud of you as if you were my brother. Stand tall and be proud of what you have done. Hold your chin high, but don't forget to lower it every once in a while to look around at those who held you up.

Yours is a great story, but don't let it end there. No matter what you do, tackle it with the same fervor, the same determination, and the same toughness. You have proven that you can do what you set your mind to so use that knowledge to push for even greater things. Congratulations to you, and wishes for all the best for you and your family.

A note to Brandon:

Thank you for sharing this story. I am better for having followed it.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:47 AM   #78
3ric
College Starter

This story deserves to be published in book format.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:35 PM   #79
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric
This story deserves to be published in book format.

I think it might have to wait considering he still has [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595142060/002-0828120-9252056?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance"]]this book and a book about Texas HS football on the way (is that still true?).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:32 PM   #80
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I think it might have to wait considering he still has [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595142060/002-0828120-9252056?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance"]]this book and a book about Texas HS football on the way (is that still true?).

It'd be worth the wait. This has definitely been a story that deserves a wider audience than a 'net forum.

My respect & congratulations to Clay for living the dream, as well as to his family & all those who helped make it possible. And my gratitude to Brandon for sharing it with us.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:56 AM   #81
Senator

It would be a good story, but I am not so sure Clay wants "just everybody" knowing about his wrong choices all along the way. It sure ended up being much more of a story than I ever thought it could be. When it started, all I was wondering was if he could make the team, not knowing he had attached himself onto something very special.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:35 PM   #82
BYU 14
Coordinator

This is a great Story Brandon.....And I agree with many others when I say this deserves a wider forum. Stories like your brothers are the truly good and inspirational tales that get far too little attention in this World.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #83
Senator

I talked to him last night, and who knows, I might put something together, if he wants to fill in the gaps for me.

Old 12-03-2005, 02:25 PM   #84
Senator

The Sioux Falls game against #1 Carroll is live on the internet - TV Style.

Lots of snow...

CSTV LIVE COVERAGE SIOUX FALLS VS CARROLL

Go just below the picture in the middle of the page where you see:

NAIA Semifinal: All-Access Free View LIVE NOW!

Old 12-17-2005, 02:12 PM   #85
Senator

Just to close this up. Here is the live coverage of the NAIA championship. You can either watch it live on CSTV or the free stream here:

#1 Carroll vs #2 St. Francis - NAIA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Old 02-03-2006, 04:31 AM   #86
trirol
n00b

Tabor head coach resigned ---
http://www.naiafootball.net/article.php?articleID=1384
http://www.malone.edu/5170
Old 02-03-2006, 05:01 AM   #87
Icy
Pro Starter

Now is time for Clay to take that coaching job

Old 02-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #88
Senator

He has been interviewing the past month at several schools in Texas, and two NAIA colleges. One school here in Texas has really been after him, and I bet he ends up coaching there.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #89
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I've been reading all along, but forgot to post after this. Really, we should be thanking you for sharing this amazing story.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:01 PM   #90
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
He has been interviewing the past month at several schools in Texas, and two NAIA colleges. One school here in Texas has really been after him, and I bet he ends up coaching there.

Does that give you an idea?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #91
trirol
n00b

Senator - I was reading an article in the Dalas Morning News last month regarding Baylors new head coach --- and I see a bunch of similiraties with the colonel... i'll try to send you a copy if stumble upon it again

Last edited by trirol : 02-04-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:27 PM   #92
trirol
n00b

make that Baylor's new Offensive Coordinator ---

http://baylorbears.collegesports.com...ays_lee00.html
Old 02-04-2006, 03:33 PM   #93
trirol
n00b

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spt/....11faef33.html
Old 05-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #94
Senator

Ben Brown, the starting fullback for Tabor College in the NAIA has signed as a FA with the Green Bay Packers. The first player since Bay Lawrence in the
70's to sign with an NFL team from Tabor.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #95
Senator

Quote:
Ben Brown, the starting fullback for Tabor College in the NAIA has signed as a FA with the Green Bay Packers. The first player since Bay Lawrence in the
70's to sign with an NFL team from Tabor.

And also wanted to add, that my brother has been offered a coaching positon at a 3A school south of Houston. He is "probably" going to take it, but I shouldn't say where until it happens. He is really getting to do what he wanted to do in life, and it was all by taking a risk.

Last edited by Senator : 05-01-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #96
Izulde
Head Coach

That's so awesome! I'm so happy for your brother.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:26 AM   #97
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
And also wanted to add, that my brother has been offered a coaching positon at a 3A school south of Houston. He is "probably" going to take it, but I shouldn't say where until it happens. He is really getting to do what he wanted to do in life, and it was all by taking a risk.

Good news, i really hope we can get a coaching dynasty soon

Old 05-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #98
Senator

I wanted to add some postscripts to this long dead thread.

Ben Brown, who is just a great guy, and who really deserves this shot, is getting some attention from the Packers.

http://www.packers.com/team/players/brown_ben/

And if you go to www.packers.com, I cannot believe I see at the very top a picutre of a guy from Tabor College. Unbelievable.

And we is the article.

http://packers.com/news/stories/2006/05/11/1/

Old 07-29-2006, 05:22 PM   #99
Senator

Clay is now the defensive lines coach for Brookshire Royal in district 24-3A. He has been there for a few weeks, and has his family moved in and settled.

Also, while he was at Tabor he made some extra cash playing country, and sure enough, someone liked him enough to get him a record deal and video shoot. Clay is a real trip.

Here is the video - CLICK HERE

Old 08-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #100
JeeberD
General Manager

Congrats to Clay on the new job(s)!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote