Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2011, 04:39 AM   #51
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

Welcome back to the Road to Release for iOOTP Baseball 2011. In the fourth installment, I will continue my season with the Boston Red Sox up to the All-Star Break. Along the way, I will show you the ins and outs of managing your team during the regular season.

But first, as promised last time, I will show you how deep the world of iOOTP is. The game is not just stats and ratings — it builds a world that evolves around you, just like the baseball world we all avidly follow every season. Here are a few examples:

Players get injured ...

Trades happen ...

Players get suspended ...

Various weekly and monthly awards are handed out ...

Heroic game events happen ...

and players reach milestones:

There are even more news blurbs and messages beyond those, but before I show them to you, let’s pick up my season that’s underway. I’ve simulated the month of April, so let's take a look at the standings:

As expected, it is a close race between my Red Sox and the Evil Empire. But it’s still early in the season, so I will continue the action before I start thinking about possible upgrades. So I hit "Finish Week" ...

... and get bad news: one of my key players suffered a major injury. First, I go to my lineup:

Crawford is my leadoff man, and despite his .244 batting average, he is an important part of my team. Now I have two things to do: make room on the active roster for a replacement player and then adjust the lineups. After tapping Crawford’s name, I take a closer look at his injury:

He will miss about 6 weeks, so to make room for his replacement I will put him on the Disabled List. For that I can use the Action Menu in the bottom bar (all actions concerning a player are in that menu):

Now I need a replacement to fill his role on the active roster. I open my Minor League Roster and take a look at the available options:

I need a left fielder and my only option is Josh Reddick. A closer look reveals ...

... he had two short stints in the majors with Boston in 2009 and 2010, with below average success. However, I have no other options at the moment, so I’ll give him another shot at the big leagues. His Potential (the four grey stars) is pretty good, so maybe this is his breakthrough moment.

I promote him to Boston (again, using the Action Menu) and update my lineups:

Hopefully the number 9 spot will take away some of the pressure.
Let’s continue the season!

After another month, I'm still in first place but Pedroia got hurt too, so I lost another important player for a few weeks.

And I received a personal message from J.D. Drew. Take a look:

That’s another of your between-game duties: signing new contracts with players you want to keep. Let’s take Drew as an example.

A look at his profile shows he is 35 years old and his stats are in decline, so if I sign him it has to be a short-term contract.

I have about $45 million available for contract extensions, and David Ortiz and Adrian Gonzalez are two more possible Free Agents after the season ends.

Now, just as a real General Manager does, we can meet with Drew. I tap his name in the message and open the Offer Extension Screen (as always, through the Action Menu).

Wow, he wants $17 million and 3 years (his current contract is $14 million). That's way too much in my opinion, so I lower the years to two and the money to the $14 million he gets now. I don't think he will accept that offer, but we will see. It is important to keep in mind that even if offers are declined, you can continue to negotiate with players. But be careful: some players will stop talking to you faster than others. I submit the offer to Drew and now I have to wait a few days.

Today brings with it another season highlight: the First-Year Player Draft.

Here you can draft the future of your franchise. It’s exciting to see who gets selected first and then watch the number one pick start his career in the majors, achieve his first hit, get chosen for his first All Star Team, receive awards, break records, and maybe even earn election to the Hall of Fame! Or maybe he suffers a career-ending injury during his first season. As in real life, you never know what will happen in iOOTP.

I planned to pick a starting pitcher, but with my 26th pick there are no good starter prospects left, so I change my mind and find a pretty interesting reliever: Sergio Ramirez.

He has good potential (5 stars), but his overall rating (4 stars) is what makes him interesting: he could be part of my bullpen during the season. I choose to let the CPU handle the rest of my draft picks.

After a few days, I get an update from Drew:

As I expected. He lowers his demand but insists on three years. I update my offer (again, only two years) and continue.

After a few days I get another update from Drew and this time, I'm surprised.

That gives me at least one year to find a replacement in RF. In other good news, I received word that Crawford can be reactivated from the Disabled List. That means Reddick goes back to the Minors, but this time he had a nice stint.

All is not puppies and rainbows in Red Sox land, though: one of my players is not happy with his role on the team.

I use Cameron in my starting lineup against LHP, but that doesn’t seem to be enough for him. You have to be careful with this kind of thing in iOOTP because morale is an important part of the game. As in real life, lousy morale can not only affect that player’s performance but also the entire team’s play. I make a note to think about trading Cameron at the trading deadline (this will be part of the next article).

Finally, I reach the All-Star Game and can take a look at the selected players for both leagues:

Boo, only Lackey was nominated from the American League. Something is not right at the moment.

Well, that's it for today. I made it halfway through the 2011 season and I showed you iOOTP’s deep game world and some of the duties you have as a GM. I'm now 3 games behind first place Tampa Bay, so when I continue I will take a look at my team and see what I can do to improve it at the trading deadline. Then we will finish the season, see if my first round pick makes his major league debut, and find out who wins the World Series. After that, we’ll take a look at the off-season, which has plenty for you to do before spring training starts again. Yes, just like real life.

Sebastian Palkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #52
SegRat
High School Varsity

This game is looking fantastic.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #53
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

you guys got a mention as some sort of preview on 148apps.com
Baseball Simulation Series Out of the Park Baseball Hits iOS With iOOTP 2011 – Blog, Upcoming – 148Apps – iPhone App and Game Reviews and News

FM
Old 04-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #54
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post

Thanks, I just saw it. It is nice to get coverage from a site like 148apps. We hope to get more people interested in sport text-sim games and previews like this should help a lot.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #55
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If Big Papi is slumping, can I buy him some steroids from the app store?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #56
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
If Big Papi is slumping, can I buy him some steroids from the app store?

We planed that but then decided to go for the 12+ rating.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #57
SegRat
High School Varsity

Palli you still think you are going to make the April deadline by chance?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #58
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Getting really excited for this and OOTP12. I've been itching to start a solo (play out each game - one pitch) league going....

iOOTP is looking way better than I expected...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #59
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Looking forward to this. Have a new computer, two new monitors setup. Plan is to work on one and play OOTP on the other.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #60
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

As someone who hasn't played since 6.5 I think this will be the game that gets me back into the game. A question, do teams go into rebuilding mode and win now mode like they did back in 6.5? This is probably a standard feature now, but one that important to me nonetheless. Thanks.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #61
SegRat
High School Varsity

Sounds like iootp has been submitted to apple!

Last edited by SegRat : 04-21-2011 at 04:49 PM.
SegRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #62
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
Sounds like iootp has been submitted to apple!

Yes, we submitted to Apple today. Now we have to wait.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #63
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

I guess most will see it but just to make sure.

A nice preview of iOOTP 2011: Operation Sports
Old 04-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #64
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

As we all know, a baseball season is a marathon, not a sprint, but I can see the finish line in the distance as I open the fifth installment in the Road to Release for iOOTP Baseball 2011. Last time, I played until the All-Star Game, and this time I’m ready to tackle the second half of the season. Let’s start with a quick peek at the standings, where I’m 3 games behind the Rays in the AL East. However, I’m ahead in the wild card race by a half-game over the Royals.

To view the wild card standings, just scroll down:

If I want to make a second-half push for the division crown, I’ll need to look at possible ways to improve my team. First, I check out my team stats:

The team pitching looks good: I dominate my division. The batting side tells a different story, though:

Okay, so it’s not my offense that carries me — every team has an imbalance between hitting and pitching, and right now my Red Sox are more like the 1982 Cardinals than the 1927 Yankees. (But, hey, both teams won the World Series, right?) My next visit is the Lineup Screen, where I can see which positions could use an upgrade. iOOTP has a trading deadline, just like in real life, so I can expect some wheeling and dealing over the next couple weeks.

Looks like I have a weak spot in center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury, who is a good example of iOOTP Baseball 2011’s depth: As you can see below, Ellsbury hits only .259 against right-handed pitching. That's bad, especially since Ellsbury should have an advantage against RHP because he bats left-handed. I take a closer look at his split stats this season:

That's the beauty of the game engine in iOOTP Baseball 2011: it works as real major league baseball does: a lefty batter will do better against RHP and has a hard time against LHP. In Ellsbury’s case, he gets killed by LHP with his paltry .152 average.

So now I look on his Profile page:

He's only 27 years old, and after a injury-shortened 2010 campaign, his 2011 season has been ugly. He has the potential to be a good major league center fielder, but not this season. Notice also that he’s unhappy. I take a closer look at his morale by tapping View and then tapping the Status/Morale option:

He is angry about his own performance, which is negatively affecting his overall morale. I talked before about how important morale is in iOOTP and this is a good example of that: a young player struggling at the plate and then trying too hard to come out of the slump.

A look at my active roster shows that Ellsbury’s possible replacement, Mike Cameron, is unhappy too (remember, he wants to be traded). So my plan is to use Cameron in a trade to get a temporary replacement for Ellsbury.

You have different ways to approach trades. One is by checking the League News screen for trade rumors that are always swirling around:

Player from your team can demand trades (like Cameron), and you can receive trade proposals from other teams.

Additionally, you can look around and initiate trades with other teams. I start to shop around Cameron but the answerer is always the same:

Nobody wants an old, overpaid player who does not perform well. Oh my, I have to reconsider. So I exchange Cameron with Ellsbury in the lineup and simulate a few days. Maybe I can find a decent upgrade for the lineup (a catcher would help) closer to the trading deadline.

Fast-forward a few days and the standings look better (I’m just 1/2 a game behind Tampa Bay), but my solution with Cameron does not work out: he is only hitting .192 since I inserted him into the lineup. During the last few days, I’ve also kept an eye open for trade rumors and saw this:

Scott Hairston could be available, and he’s putting up good numbers this season (better than Cameron and Ellsbury, which is not that hard at the moment):

I tap View and then tap Contract, where I see that he’s in the final year of his contract, so I have just to pay the reminder of it for this season:

His batting ratings look good too:

And as a nice bonus, he can play center field:

I open the Action menu in the bottom bar and tap Trade for Player.

Trades in iOOTP can have up to 3 players on both sides, so you can construct typical trades, such as a good player for a couple prospects. Since I want to trade for Haiston, he is already placed on the right side and I can now add players from my organization to make this trade happen. The Trade Summary window gives you an idea of both teams’ weaknesses, so you can tailor your offer accordingly.

You always can ask for the number of players from your team that would make the other team accept the trade, but be careful: most of the time this will favor the other team!

The Mets have a weakness in their bullpen and since Hairston wants to be traded (and will be a free agent after the season), I won’t offer too much. Reliever Aceves is a good candidate:

He is an average reliever but not good enough for my active roster. He is unhappy with his situation in the minors and will most likely never play for the Red Sox.

The Mets are willing to do the trade, but my manager thinks we can get a little bit more out of this. I look at the Mets’ minor league roster and try a promising shortstop prospect:

Maybe he will never develop into a star player, but he is only 19 and with 3.5 stars as potential, he could become a decent utility infielder for the Red Sox.

After I finish filling out the trade, I get an immediate response. Since we’re so close to the trading deadline, the reaction is quick; otherwise, I would have to submit the offer and wait a few days. The Mets accept the deal, so I can now finalize it. After the deal is done, I put Hairston on my active roster and insert him into the lineup. Then I continue the game ...

August has more injuries in store for me: Hairston has a trip to the disabled list (great) and starting pitcher Lester misses at least one start. But that is nothing compared to the injury suffered by Scutaro, who will not see any more playing time this season:

After I reactivate Hairston, I lose Wakefield for a few weeks and Dice-K for rest of the season. Right now I have the best record in the American League, but I have to overcome the injury crisis and make it through September.

On my way to the playoffs, I handle a few more contract extensions: Gonzalez and Papelbon sign new deals, but David Ortiz is destined to leave Boston as a free agent because his contract demands are just too much.

At last I reach the finish line and make it to the playoffs!

Now I switch back to day-to-day simulation as I prepare my team as well as possible for every game. I will play out games that could bring a decision, but that’s just my preference. You can simulate the playoffs or play out every game; it is up to you.

I win my first game against the Tigers, but it’s a Pyrrhic victory:

Oh, the happy times of a major league manager.

The second game against Detroit goes to extra innings, but I manage to win it, 2-1 ...

Trivia question for you guys: who went 2 for 4 and score the winning run in the 11th Inning? I always have to smile at the small things that make iOOTP a great experience (Hint: his name shows up a lot in this article).

I play out game 3 and finish the sweep on a 3-hit masterpiece by Beckett and Papelbon.

to the next round, this time against the Angels ...

I lose the first two games in Boston as my offense, riddled with injuries, stops hitting the ball. In Game 3, it looks like more of the same but I have a big inning, scoring 11 runs in the 7th, to win the game 11-1 (as a side note: Beckett throws another gem and has now a 0.59 ERA in the post-season).

In Game 4, the bats go silent again (just 4 hits) and I lose the game. To top it off, starter Lackey suffers another injury. I take over in Game 5 and manage an easy win to bring the series back to Boston. Due to injuries, I have to go with Tim Wakefield, and as you would expect from a knuckleballer, the game is a wild one. But I get to Angels starter Weaver early and hang on for a 13-7 victory.

Wow, the series is tied and we have a game 7. Both number one starters get the call: Dan Haren against Jon Lester; the winner goes to the World Series, the loser goes on vacation. Maybe it is just a game, but boy, I'm nervous.

You would expect a pitching duel, but neither starter has his best stuff: neither makes it to the 5th inning and both bullpens have to send in anyone they have. Despite 3 errors in the field, I take the game 12-9! To be honest, I don't care because I’m headed to the World Series.

I will play the St. Louis Cardinals. They had no problems, needing just one game more than the minimum to reach the World Series. They’re fresh and bring their number one starter to Game 1, whereas I’ve lost one starter (Lackey), my number one guy started in Game 7 of the previous round, and my bullpen is totally exhausted. But hey, Beckett will start, so everything should be okay ...

... or not. I finally run out of steam and luck. When Beckett ran into trouble in the 5th inning, I kept him in to give my bullpen a rest. Bad decision — I wish the CPU made it so I had someone to blame.

I also lose Game 2, so again I'm down 0-2 in a series. With Lester back on the mound and a solid outing from him, I manage to win Game 3. For Game 4, I decide to use Beckett on short rest and this time I have it right: Six strong Innings from him and another 3 hits from Pedroia (who has a .450 average in the playoffs) and the series is tied at 2.

In Game 5 I can bring Lackey back to the mound and his return is strong. But the story of the game is again Pedroia: he goes 5-for-5 and now hits .492 in the playoffs. There were even MVP chants during the game. (Okay, that was me; luckily, I play at home and not in a public place).

When I start Game 6, I'm pretty nervous, but the game is smooth and I never feel like I could lose it. An easy 10-1 victory and I bring a turbulent season to a happy end: a World Series title is in my hands!

The next article will center around the offseason: awards, arbitration, free agents and maybe some winter trading. But for now, let's close with my final season score. It's not a top score because I won the title with the powerhouse Red Sox. Do it with the Pirates and you can take the score over 1,000!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #65
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

One of the most important websites for mobile gaming did a preview for iOOTP Baseball 2011!

Anyone who is interested go to:

Touch Arcade

Last edited by Sebastian Palkowski : 05-02-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #66
stevew
Hall Of Famer

release it dammit. how much longer do our apple lords have to look over it?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #67
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
release it dammit. how much longer do our apple lords have to look over it?

Believe me, I hit F5 every 5 minutes to check the status.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #68
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by palli View Post
Believe me, I hit F5 every 5 minutes to check the status.

+1
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:52 AM   #69
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Can't wait for this to go live on the app store!
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:22 AM   #70
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
One of the most important websites for mobile gaming did a preview for iOOTP Baseball 2011!

Anyone who is interested go to:

Touch Arcade

that was a very nice preview

FM
Old 05-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #71
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

Today we got an update from Apple: "Your Application is Ready for Sale".

The official release date is now: Thursday, 5/5/2011 (Worldwide).
Old 05-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #72
Arles
Grey Dog Software

nice! Congrats guys, can't wait to check it out.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #73
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Good for you Markus and Co!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #74
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Today we got an update from Apple: "Your Application is Ready for Sale".

The official release date is now: Thursday, 5/5/2011 (Worldwide).

Awesome
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #75
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Awesome! Can't wait to fire this bad boy up!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #76
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

“Wait till next year!” That’s the rallying cry of the fans of the 29 teams that don’t win the World Series each year, and iOOTP Baseball 2011 lets you live that sentiment as you guide your team through the offseason. In my case, the Red Sox won the 2011 World Series, so I’m preparing to defend my championship. As we all know, winning two straight titles isn’t easy.

Let’s start with the Manager Home screen:

In the offseason, you get one more option to advance the game: Auto/Play until an event. As you see in the screenshot, the first event is the announcement of the season awards. But before I continue, I take a look at the league news and find this:

The Hall of Fame is a nice feature in iOOTP Baseball 2011, since it’s an honor all players strive for. It’s nice to see existing players get voted in, but it’s even more exciting to read the news about a player you drafted and nurtured getting the nod.

In my game, only Jamie Moyer, was elected but it’s only a matter of time before more players enter the Hall of Fame.

But back to the offseason events. I simulated until the first one, the awards, and can now take a look at the winners: in iOOTP you have season awards for the best hitter, pitcher, rookie and fielder (for every position).

Remember: John Lackey was my only player selected for the All-Star Game and now he gets the Outstanding Pitcher Award in the AL!

Additionally, two players from my Red Sox won the Glove Wizard Award: first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and left fielder Carl Crawford.

Back to the Offseason: the next event is Salary Arbitration Hearings.

Players that have more than 2 and less than 6 years of service time will get arbitration. They automatically get a new 1-year contract (you cannot lose them to free agency) ,but the salary is decided by an arbitrator.

First I check all the players on my team who are arbitration eligible. I do this on the Active Roster screen by selecting the Financial Info View:

I have 5 eligible players. To see the estimated salary each one will receive, check the player page:

As you can see, Buchholz is expected to get a pretty nice (for him) raise, but I still want to keep him. I check out the other players and decide to keep them. If you want to avoid arbitration, just release the player and you won’t be on the hook for the salary dictated by the arbitrator.

I continue to the Arbitration Hearings and then check my in box. You receive the results of all the hearings, like this one for Buchholz:

The next step in the offseason involves players who have no contract years left filing for free agency.

So if you want to sign contract extensions, hurry up! I did this during the season, so I just tap Auto/Play.

You get a message listing the players from your team who filled for free agency (no surprises there) and ...

... another one with a few FA's from other teams (you just scroll to the bottom of the message shown above).

Now it’s time to bid for some free agents. To do so, just open the Free Agents screen from the League menu:

You get a list of all available FA's. As with all tables in iOOTP, you can chose the view you prefer. The view selected in the screenshot above shows the Overall rating, Potential rating and Salary Demand. Carlos Beltran would be a nice addition to my club (remember my problems in CF last season) but $26 million is a lot. But just for fun, I take a look:

Two things to note here: first, I don't have enough money to sign Beltran (after all, I don't work for the Evil Empire) and second, if I did sign him, I would lose my first draft pick to his old team in the upcoming amateur draft.

To show you the bidding process, I will make an offer to Russell Branyan:

With David Ortiz gone, I lost a big lefty bat and he could replace him nicely (or better, he could even be an upgrade from Ortiz, who did not have his best year).

He wants $11 million and 4 years. Considering his age, I offer him 3 years and $12 million. Now I have to wait, so I tap Auto-Play.

After a few days, I get an update from him telling me that my offer is the best one so far. I might get lucky: maybe most other teams are going for the big names and I can sign him before other teams show their interest. iOOTP Baseball 2011 has the same offseason drama that the big leagues do in real life. Remember all the rumors about who Cliff Lee was going to sign with?

During my wait for another update, I reach the next event: the Winter Meetings. This is a great time to make some deals with other teams. You will get trade offers, listen to rumors, and try to set up trades on your own. And since all GM's are around, it takes no time to negotiate. Since I showed the trade process in an earlier Road to Release article, I will continue.

Russell Branyan signed a contract with me, so I filled one need on my team. He will see time at 1B and as a DH.

As you can see, the offseason is all about setting up your team for the new season. You face the same issues that big league general managers do. Soon spring training will be around the corner and you’ll need to prepare your freshly-updated team for Opening Day and the pennant chase. In my case, I’ll be the hunted.

So that brings me to the end of the Road to Release for iOOTP Baseball 2011. Tomorrow, Thursday May 5, 2011, you’ll get the chance to pick your own big league team and see if you can win the World Series too. Or maybe you’ll want to start a fictional league and build your own baseball world, or visit one of three past seasons — 1923, 1965, or 2004 — and see if you can rewrite history.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #77
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I think I read all of the walkthroughs but did I miss the Spring Training part of the road to release? If not does that mean there isn't one and players just progress automatically at the end of the offseason? Are we given any clues about who progressed how?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #78
Raiders Army
Coordinator

iOOTP Baseball 2011 for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store

On sale in New Zealand already.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #79
Raiders Army
Coordinator

BTW, you can buy it if you change your store to New Zealand.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #80
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

The game should now be available around the globe (the US store is now available):

iOOTP 2001 on the AppStore
Old 05-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #81
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Purchased. Will post impressions tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #82
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that it's really easy to improve the look of the game by using any one of the existing OOTP logo sets.

Just grab the free iPhone Explorer app and you can access your saved game when your phone is connected to your pc/mac. Look in the apps/iootp2011/Documents/iootp2011/saved_games//news/html directory and replace the existing logos with the new ones. Here's what I was able to do tonight in about 10 mins...

PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #83
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

First review is out and about already:

iPhone GamerBlog - 5/5
Review Link
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #84
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

I bought this today and was totally blown away! Kudos to OOTP for blazing the trail for our genre on this platform. The avalanche of positive reviews alone should easily launch it into the top 100.

I will be tracking this closely, having just launched a mobile software company. If iOOTP is a big success, Football here I come

Congrats Markus and team.

Shaun
Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #85
Philliesfan980
Banned

I'm jumping into this thread kind of late, but are there any plans to port this over to Android platforms? I'd love to have this, but I'm not buying an iPhone for it.

Last edited by Philliesfan980 : 05-05-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #86
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I'm jumping into this thread kind of late, but are there any plans to port this over to Android platforms? I'd love to have this, but I'm not buying an iPhone for it.

Just to make sure: iPod Touch and/or iPad work, too.

For Android: if iOOTP is a big success and we can hire someone to do the Android port, then yes, it is possible.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #87
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just to make sure: iPod Touch and/or iPad work, too.

For Android: if iOOTP is a big success and we can hire someone to do the Android port, then yes, it is possible.

Does it matter what generation ipod touch we have?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #88
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Does it matter what generation ipod touch we have?

3rd or 4th Generation according to the faq on the ootp developments forum will work best. 1st and 2nd generation iOS devices may find that the game runs so slow that it is unplayable, particularly year 2 and beyond.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #89
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
3rd or 4th Generation according to the faq on the ootp developments forum will work best. 1st and 2nd generation iOS devices may find that the game runs so slow that it is unplayable, particularly year 2 and beyond.

I have a 2nd so I guess that leaves me out. Unfortunate.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #90
tarcone
Coordinator

I bought this today. One comment. I cant see the yellow writing on the white background. The stars on the rating s is where I really struggle. When I pull up the player card I can see it. The bigger color splashes, like the bars, I can see. Its just the small yellows.
It was during an draft before a fictional league.

I cant wait to sit down and immerse myself. I played around a bit, cant wait to have time to really sit down and play it.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #91
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

Quote:

So far we got only good feedback on 2nd Generation devices so you might try it. I tested it on my iPhone 3G (which is almost the same) and after the game is loaded it runs ok. Make sure to reboot your device before you play to free up memory!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #92
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I had a slight problem. Votto hit a single and was thrown out trying to get to second and the next time he was up he was credited with a double.

I'm a little disappointed in the starting economic numbers, but that's been an issue with OOTP for years.

It's a fun app and the only one for which I've paid more than .99.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #93
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan View Post
I bought this today and was totally blown away! Kudos to OOTP for blazing the trail for our genre on this platform. The avalanche of positive reviews alone should easily launch it into the top 100.

I will be tracking this closely, having just launched a mobile software company. If iOOTP is a big success, Football here I come

Congrats Markus and team.

Shaun

Hey Shaun, thanks for the nice words. I had at least one person ask for a football version, so go for it.

So far we are really happy with the response, we just got featured as "New and Noteworthy" on the US Store. It is also nice to see a lot of new user try iOOTP, I think that will help to bring new people into our little niche.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #94
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Bought it. Well worth it at that price. I personally like it better than the PC version.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #95
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
So far we got only good feedback on 2nd Generation devices so you might try it. I tested it on my iPhone 3G (which is almost the same) and after the game is loaded it runs ok. Make sure to reboot your device before you play to free up memory!

I have to wait I think. Need to see how it goes for people after they get in quite a few seasons. That's what scares me.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #96
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

To be frank I don't know why Markus posted saying that the game isn't 'ideal' on a 2nd generation device - its true its not as fast as on an iPhone4 (duh? ) ... but its definitely playable on them imho.

Just my tuppence worth.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #97
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

This game is not working at all on my phone.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #98
samifan24
Pro Starter

I wasn't planning on buying this because I thought it wouldn't run on my iPhone 3G but I was glad to read tonight that it will indeed run on my phone. Awesome!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #99
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that it's really easy to improve the look of the game by using any one of the existing OOTP logo sets.

Just grab the free iPhone Explorer app and you can access your saved game when your phone is connected to your pc/mac. Look in the apps/iootp2011/Documents/iootp2011/saved_games//news/html directory and replace the existing logos with the new ones. Here's what I was able to do tonight in about 10 mins...

Where did you find the correct, sized logos to put into the game folder?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #100
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I didn't check, but you might want to look at Padrefans sig. He runs THE OOTP mod site.

edit: His website appears down to me right now.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote