Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How old is planet earth?
Billions of years old 120 96.77%
Thousands of years old. 4 3.23%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #51
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Great post by Jim.

My serious thought process here is...Faith-based beliefs on the age of the world are flawed from a logical perspective at their very core. You're appealing to ignorance if you follow this reasoning -

Premise: Nobody can prove that God didn't create the world X number of years ago.
Conclusion: God must have created the world X number of years ago.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 12-04-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #52
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'd be very interested in hearing an interpretation of the evidence which points to a 6000 year old earth, and for the sake of this discussion, I'd accept the Bible and all of its evidence. From my reading of the Bible, I can't see where a young earth comes from...or any age at all. I also haven't been able to find a religious person near me (in Wisconsin) who holds to the idea of a young earth. I'm genuinely curious where people get that age from.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #53
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I'd be very interested in hearing an interpretation of the evidence which points to a 6000 year old earth, and for the sake of this discussion, I'd accept the Bible and all of its evidence. From my reading of the Bible, I can't see where a young earth comes from...or any age at all. I also haven't been able to find a religious person near me (in Wisconsin) who holds to the idea of a young earth. I'm genuinely curious where people get that age from.

It derived from simply adding up the genealogies from the Bible. YAC'ers believe in a strictly literal interpretation of the Bible.

Except when it comes to eating bacon.

Last edited by Blackadar : 12-04-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #54
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It has its basis in ancient Hebrew texts that place the date of creation anywhere from 5500 BC to 3500 BC.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #55
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Except when it comes to eating bacon.

:Looks about a 1/2 inch lower than the letters on this line...right here:

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 12-04-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #56
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

I was under the impression it came from adding up all the begatting.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #57
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I was under the impression it came from adding up all the begatting.

This was my first assumption too, but it assumes that the lineage is complete with nothing left out, and it assumes an age of procreation. Understanding that men stay fertile throughout their lives, and some of these guys lived multiple-hundreds of years, that leaves quite a bit of variation.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #58
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
This was my first assumption too, but it assumes that the lineage is complete with nothing left out, and it assumes an age of procreation. Understanding that men stay fertile throughout their lives, and some of these guys lived multiple-hundreds of years, that leaves quite a bit of variation.

Hence the YEC estimates tend to vary from 6,000 years to 10,000 years.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #59
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

The young earth belief is based on the bible being the absolute and perfect word of God with 100% accuracy so I don't think they have much of a problem assuming the lineage is complete.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote