Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
VTech again misses out.

Such a shame.

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #52
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure we'll get sick of this ad over the next month but is the point of it "Morons everywhere love DirectTV!"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #53
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Well they get ESPN coverage. Its not as if this is the first time they get to see their name on TV. Im sorry but I just dont understand why Boston was so excited.

I would expect the reaction Kansas gave when their name was called more often. Which was the "ok, pretty much what we expected" look.

People get excited when they hear somebody refer to their hometown at a concert or something.

These guys are celebrating actually partipating in the tournment, and seeing their name officially in the bracket for the first time - that's gotta be exciting. I get excited seeing syracuse's name flashed up there and I'm just a fan, and I knew they'd be there. If I had happened to be with a bunch of su fans at the time, I probably would have even clapped or cheered. You're overthinking this.

Last edited by molson : 03-13-2011 at 05:50 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #54
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Such a shame.

They had some bad losses at the end of the year in conference play and no good wins in OOC. IMO they didn't earn it.

Last edited by Lathum : 03-13-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #55
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

So it looks like the committee was unimpressed with the Big 12 this year. I expected Mizzou, Texas to get a higher seed and Colorado to get in.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #56
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I should just link to the exact same post I made last year but first of all Duke and UNC have to earn the right to play in Charlotte or Greensboro in the first two rounds by being one of the top ~10 or so teams in the nation and getting the benefit of being seeded in a local pod.

Secondly, I believe the only time one of these teams didn't have to leave the state was in 2005 when UNC got to play in Greensboro and Charlotte. These locations are decided years in advance and UNC was the #2 overall seed and totally earned that right.

In 1993 there was a regional final in Charlotte and Kentucky got it. UNC was a 1 seed and went up to East Rutheford. Somehow they were able to miraculously win games without a home crowd and win a championship.

In 1991 UNC was a 1 seed and Duke was a 2 seed. Neither one of them was rewarded with a trip to Charlotte for the Southeast Regional. UNC somehow managed to luck their way into the final four and Duke won a national title without two extra home games.

Going back to 1985 when the tournament went to 64 teams, there have been regional finals hosted in North Carolina 5 times. Duke has never played in one. UNC has played in 3, all three times they were 1 seeds.

UNC has been to 9 final fours since 1985. Duke has been to 11. That's 20 final fours. Three times they played regional finals in their home state. This is seriously the most overblown argument that anyone makes about these programs. Its fucking ridiculous.

Must have hit pretty close to the mark to get you all riled up like that!

Seriously, they might not have to play in regionals in state, but its not very often that you see them shipped off to the west coast or anywhere else.

I would argue that the bigger home court advantage is in the first couple of rounds. How often do you see a lower seed stay close and then everyone starts cheering for them when they are playing at a neutral site. You never see that at a NC or Duke game.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #57
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

sigh

Just realized our second round game vs UNC, if we make it, would be in Charlotte. Hell of a reward for winning our conference tournament.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #58
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I still don't understand the method of the "round 1" games. Why do these #11 and #12 teams have to win 1 more game to win the title then say Boston or Hampton? If USC is better than Boston, then USC should get their "1st round bye" and play at the normal time slot on thur/fri and Boston should be moved to the "round 1" game. If Boston is better than USC, then Boston should be the #11 and someone else should be the #16.

Just using Boston and USC as examples here. You could use Hampton versus UAB, Clemson, and VCU as well.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #59
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So it looks like the committee was unimpressed with the Big 12 this year. I expected Mizzou, Texas to get a higher seed and Colorado to get in.

Yeah, they loved the SEC and disliked the Big 12

SI

Old 03-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #60
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

YAY

There is my Isiah Thomas shout out from Kenny!!
Old 03-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #61
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I still don't understand the method of the "round 1" games. Why do these #11 and #12 teams have to win 1 more game to win the title then say Boston or Hampton? If USC is better than Boston, then USC should get their "1st round bye" and play at the normal time slot on thur/fri and Boston should be moved to the "round 1" game. If Boston is better than USC, then Boston should be the #11 and someone else should be the #16.

Just using Boston and USC as examples here. You could use Hampton versus UAB, Clemson, and VCU as well.

Because the thought process was that you were letting average teams from big conferences into the tournament at the expense of teams from one-bid leagues simply because those mediocre schools were from big conferences.

So in others, anti-BCS logic.

Oh and the other thing is, they're basically playing for their spot in the tournament. In the past, one of those teams simply wouldn't have been in. So this is basically their shot at beating what otherwise would've been a 'snub.' Don't really see anything wrong with it.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-13-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #62
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I wonder if the selection committee went out of their way this year to make Lunardi look bad.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #63
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Bilas and Co certainly aren't pulling any punches on ESPN right now
Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #64
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Because the thought process was that you were letting average teams from big conferences into the tournament at the expense of teams from one-bid leagues simply because those mediocre schools were from big conferences.

So in others, anti-BCS logic.

Oh and the other thing is, they're basically playing for their spot in the tournament. In the past, one of those teams simply wouldn't have been in. So this is basically their shot at beating what otherwise would've been a 'snub.' Don't really see anything wrong with it.

My point would be, that if you are "playing for your spot in the tournament" then you should be the 16 seed. If Boston has already won their spot, while USC has not, why should Boston be punished by having to play the #1 in their first game?
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #65
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Must have hit pretty close to the mark to get you all riled up like that!

The problem is that this conversation happens every year and it happens at the level of "oh unc and duke *both* get to play *all four* games in state *almost every year* to make the final four". so yeah its become a hotbutton with me.

The real issue is that UNC and Duke are in the top 10 in the nation almost every year and therefore almost every year they get favorable draws.

Quote:
Seriously, they might not have to play in regionals in state, but its not very often that you see them shipped off to the west coast or anywhere else.

That's because there's only one west region. The other three are pretty interchangable if there isn't a regional in Charlotte. There's not much difference in playing in Texas, Kansas City, Detroit, Atlanta, Syracuse, Tampa, etc. Throw the west regional in Arizona,California, or Seattle *and* make UCLA the top seed out there and there's a disadvantage. Luckily UCLA is nowhere near as consistent as UNC and Duke so even when they do get shipped out west it rarely matters.

Quote:
I would argue that the bigger home court advantage is in the first couple of rounds. How often do you see a lower seed stay close and then everyone starts cheering for them when they are playing at a neutral site. You never see that at a NC or Duke game.

Couple factors here imo;

1) UNC and Duke get WAY more than their share of 1 and 2 seeds. They are dominating their way into the sweet 16 no matter where they play more often and more consistently than most teams. So this isn't too big a deal anyway.

2) I hate the pod system. Before the pod system only UNC or Duke could play in Greensboro, the other was going somewhere else. Now as long as they're both say top 3 seeds they're gonna get that Greensboro pod. This does make this a bigger issue.

3) counterpoint to #2: Every Duke fan in greensboro will be rooting against UNC from the outset and will go nuts if they get challenged. Every UNC fan in greensboro will be rooting against Duke from the outset and will go nuts if they get challenged. So on the whole I don't think this is really a big deal.

UNC getting Washington this year in Charlotte in round two potentially really sucks for Washington, but exactly how much less would it suck in Atlanta or Washington, DC compared to Charlotte? And again its a 2/7 matchup, so I don't have any problem at all with it. If UNC gets a 5 seed and gets shoehorned into Charlotte and plays a 4 seed in Washington, I'm not making any of these arguments. Its the fact that UNC/Duke are top 10 teams, and very very often top 5 teams when this comes up that makes me defend them so heavily.

Last edited by Radii : 03-13-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #66
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post

I think a lot of people got bored with the play in games with teams fighting for the right to play ohio st. One of those games, ok, but four of them? This way you get some bigger name teams playing in those play-ins, and they can't really complain about fairness - they're the worst at-larges, after all. So its just two spots decided on the court instead of by the selection committee.

I'm just glad they didn't go to 128 teams.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #67
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
2 seed, 7th overall

The don't actually seed the #2 seeds and align them to the #1 seeds, but rather place them in the regional that is most convenient. Therefore if ND was the best #2 seed they get first choice on a regional location.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #68
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
2 seed, 7th overall

The don't actually seed the #2 seeds and align them to the #1 seeds, but rather place them in the regional that is most convenient. Therefore if ND was the best #2 seed they get first choice on a regional location.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #69
Buccaneer
Head Coach

At first glance, I got OSU, SDSU, ND and someone from the weak SE as the Final Four. My son has OSU, UConn, ND and BYU. We both got ND to win it all for some reason.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #70
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

UNC getting Washington this year in Charlotte in round two potentially really sucks for Washington, but exactly how much less would it suck in Atlanta or Washington, DC compared to Charlotte? And again its a 2/7 matchup, so I don't have any problem at all with it. If UNC gets a 5 seed and gets shoehorned into Charlotte and plays a 4 seed in Washington, I'm not making any of these arguments. Its the fact that UNC/Duke are top 10 teams, and very very often top 5 teams when this comes up that makes me defend them so heavily.

The problem I have is we win our conference tournament and for our troubles get shipped across the country to play a round 2 road game.

That being said, no one ever said it should be easy so I'm not to upset. I actually like the way we match up against UNC.

Last edited by Lathum : 03-13-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #71
DeToxRox
Head Coach

cartman, I know you're in here. Surrender now.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #72
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
cartman, I know you're in here. Surrender now.

I'd love for the Horns to get to play Michigan to advance to the Elite Eight.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #73
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think a lot of people got bored with the play in games with teams fighting for the right to play ohio st. One of those games, ok, but four of them? This way you get some bigger name teams playing in those play-ins, and they can't really complain about fairness - they're the worst at-larges, after all. So its just two spots decided on the court instead of by the selection committee.

I'm just glad they didn't go to 128 teams.

I'm one of those people, why do I want to see two 16 seeds play each other just to get crushed, I'd rather see two teams play that might be able to make a mini run. I'd rather they have the last 8 at large play over the the bottom teams. Either way, if it is 16s playing or 11s and 12s, neither are likely to win the championship any how, so as stated earlier, mine as well watch teams that might win the next few games as well.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #74
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I'd love for the Horns to get to play Michigan to advance to the Elite Eight.

You aren't getting passed Oakland. I will be leading the riots around my beloved commuter school Friday night.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #75
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Man, quite the bitch fest going on ESPN right now
Old 03-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #76
cartman
Death Herald

You mean they aren't the Oakland in California?
Old 03-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #77
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The problem I have is we win our conference tournament and for our troubles get shipped across the country to play a round 2 road game.

That being said, no one ever said it should be easy so I'm not to upset. I actually like the way we match up against UNC.

Yeah I don't disagree with you there. Why put Temple in Tuscon and Washington in Charlotte exactly??

On the other side of that conversation that's going on w/ Warhammer though... if you had to assign a % to the chances of Washington upsetting UNC should they meet... what chance do you give them in Charlotte? What chance would you give them if it were instead in Atlanta?
Old 03-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #78
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
You mean they aren't the Oakland in California?

You son of a bitch.

Keith Benson is gonna go for 25 and 15 and you shall know thou schools location.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #79
Radii
Head Coach

Go Xavier btw. UNC is clearly going to be prone to being upset with their youth and inexperience, but they have the talent to be a massive threat too. If they do make it to the sweet 16, Syracuse has to be one of the worst matchups that UNC could possibly have. They tend to curl up in a ball and cry at the sight of a zone defense.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #80
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
You son of a bitch.

Keith Benson is gonna go for 25 and 15 and you shall know thou schools location.

You've already reached the top of the Summit League, so there is nowhere else to go but down.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #81
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I just want Syracuse/UNC in the Sweet 16, in Newark.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #82
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
You've already reached the top of the Summit League, so there is nowhere else to go but down.

And the gloves are now off.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #83
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Man, quite the bitch fest going on ESPN right now

CAA! CAA! CAA!

I love it.

VCU was a stretch in a lot of ways, but the head exploding over them getting in over VT is just silly - VT simply didn't deserve a bid.

CAA! CAA! CAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #84
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
And the gloves are now off.

I'm trying to figure out a way to work Greg Robinson into the mix.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #85
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You son of a bitch.

SI

Old 03-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #86
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
CAA! CAA! CAA!

I love it.

VCU was a stretch in a lot of ways, but the head exploding over them getting in over VT is just silly - VT simply didn't deserve a bid.

CAA! CAA! CAA!

I don't have ESPN any more so I'm watching CBS's little cheerleading thing online.

I suspect they're just bitter because they didn't get the tourney after the renegotiation this year

SI

Old 03-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #87
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I don't have ESPN any more so I'm watching CBS's little cheerleading thing online.

I suspect they're just bitter because they didn't get the tourney after the renegotiation this year

SI

Well, I'll tell you Hubert lost any shred of credibility when he tried to argue that Mason shouldn't be in. I mean, they were ranked #25 before they last on the CAA tournament for goodness sake. They were top 25 in the RPI. etc, etc.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #88
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out a way to work Greg Robinson into the mix.

Closing in on the ignore button.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #89
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, I'll tell you Hubert lost any shred of credibility when he tried to argue that Mason shouldn't be in. I mean, they were ranked #25 before they last on the CAA tournament for goodness sake. They were top 25 in the RPI. etc, etc.

While I think they should be in I can see a side that wouldnt buy into them.

They didnt win one game outside of their conference against a NCAA tourny team.

They lost to Wofford(14 seed). Split with ODU and VCU. They didnt play the most difficult of schedules.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-13-2011 at 06:51 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #90
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I just want Syracuse/UNC in the Sweet 16, in Newark.

WTF FAVORTISM. Its ok the committee will find a way to move the game to Chapel Hill by next week.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #91
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
CAA! CAA! CAA!

I love it.

CAA! CAA! CAA!

I always love the whining over who should have gotten the last few seeds. These are teams that couldn't make much of a run in their conference tourneys and didn't make enough noise in the regular season to be in the top couple, so SHUT UP! VT may have managed a win over Duke, but decided their season was over and stopped playing. Tough.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #92
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

They lost to Wofford(14 seed). Split with ODU and VCU. They didnt play the most difficult of schedules.

By "not the most difficult" you mean OOC SOS of 157? Yeah, you could say that.

VT is infamous for a terrible OOC schedule. Idiot Greenberg does it EVERY year, yet whines and doesn't understand why he doesn't get in year after year.

He did "ok" in the ACC and "better than average" against a weak OOC schedule.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #93
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I would much rather see the #2 team (or even #3 team) from the MAC, CAA, CUSA, etc., get their chance than see the #9 team from the SEC, B10, B12, etc.

Also, I agree about the pod system. The problem I have with the South and East is that they really are almost interchangeable. Some time back, they had the rule that you could not play on your home floor. While I understand the rule, it REALLY benefits some teams such as UNC or Duke more than others for reasons that were mentioned.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #94
RainMaker
General Manager

I'll be going on Friday and Sunday in Chicago and feel we got some nice games. Really happy to see Notre Dame play live and Purdue should be good too. Should be packed with their fans. Hope we get some close games.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #95
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I always love the whining over who should have gotten the last few seeds. These are teams that couldn't make much of a run in their conference tourneys and didn't make enough noise in the regular season to be in the top couple, so SHUT UP! VT may have managed a win over Duke, but decided their season was over and stopped playing. Tough.

Yup. The High-Major teams have TONS of opportunities to show why they should be in. If they don't do that, it's their fault.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #96
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'll be going on Friday and Sunday in Chicago and feel we got some nice games. Really happy to see Notre Dame play live and Purdue should be good too. Should be packed with their fans. Hope we get some close games.

I'd love to skip work on a Thursday or Friday and go to a tournament site for all 4 games. Unfortunately, I've never been in a convenient location or work environment for it.

The only downside is that I wouldn't be able to see the other 12 games that day like I'll be doing from work/home

SI

Old 03-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #97
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Oh, and your facts are way off on VT.

They refuse to schedule the top CAA teams now after losing 3 out of 4 years to ODU. Not sure what you're thinking of - University of Richmond that did split with them maybe?

Quote:
Old 03-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #98
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just not feelin' it this year. Hard for me to cry for many of the bubble teams, the field seems relatively weak, a lot of "upsets" might not be all that shocking.

re: the UNC/Duke playing in NC thing -- Harder for that not to happen when there are several sites in the state that are regular hosts AND when the placement guidelines include "Teams will remain in or as close to their areas of natural interest as possible. A team moved out of its natural area will be placed in the next closest region to the extent possible."

re: SEC seeding -- The Vols right in line with where they are in the last official RPI & presumably didn't slip noticeably with the loss to Florida. Having the #2 SOS in the country helps, even if you usually play fair to mediocre b'ball. I think having Florida a #2 if Kentucky is a #4 is a travesty, they're probably both #3's in reality. Georgia as a #10 seems high to my biased eye but only by 1 slot.

And definitely put me in the "hates the pod system" camp. I understand why they do it, but I don't like it & never have. It's even worse for the women's bracket (although I know few people in here care).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-13-2011 at 07:33 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #99
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just not feelin' it this year. Hard for me to cry for many of the bubble teams, the field seems relatively weak, a lot of "upsets" might not be all that shocking.

I agree with your last part, but not the first part. I know you differ from me in this, no surprise there, but I love the upsets and mid-major success.

But it is a weak field. If this was the field last year, my W&M Tribe would have gotten their first birth to the NCAA tournament.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #100
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Anybody look into the online bracket polls? Do they give the option of not having to pick the play-in games like they've always done with the one play-in game. Would like to get my friends together but would be nice to not have to pick those games.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote