Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #51
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

With openers being released, how much longer until the schedule comes out?

This is the year I make a trip to see my first live NHL game, just have to find a weekend that works.... I'm really hoping for a home Nashville game Dec 10th, the same weekend the Saints will be in Nashville to play the titans.

Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #52
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
With openers being released, how much longer until the schedule comes out?

This is the year I make a trip to see my first live NHL game, just have to find a weekend that works.... I'm really hoping for a home Nashville game Dec 10th, the same weekend the Saints will be in Nashville to play the titans.

I think the schedule is due out today.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #53
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Allow myself to quote...myself

From Kyle Woodlief's mock draft-

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...hl-draft_n.htm

Outside of what you guys are talking about, but I really hope Murphy falls to the Bruins at 9. Thank you Phil Kessel.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #54
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I think the schedule is due out today.

Yep, this afternoon.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #55
bronconick
College Starter

So, what's everyone think about the NHL possibly going to a 16/14 conference split with 8 team divisions in the East and 7 in the West? Winnipeg moves west and Columbus/Detroit moves east.

Edit: Apparently first round of playoffs would be "divisional play", whatever that means, but not the full Norris/Patrick 2 rounds like the 80's and early 90's.

Last edited by bronconick : 06-23-2011 at 11:34 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #56
Logan
Head Coach

I think it's an advantage to playing out West.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #57
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
So, what's everyone think about the NHL possibly going to a 16/14 conference split with 8 team divisions in the East and 7 in the West? Winnipeg moves west and Columbus/Detroit moves east.

Edit: Apparently first round of playoffs would be "divisional play", whatever that means, but not the full Norris/Patrick 2 rounds like the 80's and early 90's.

That's got Gary Bettman written all over it. Which means it's likely a dumb idea.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #58
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I think...I'm confused. Both conferences are currently 15 teams.

Winnipeg (Atlanta) moves from the East to West, making it 16-14. Then Columbus/Detroit moves East, back to 15-15. Unless you are saying both teams would move East. Which, I just don't see happening.

And, I think it's much more likely Nashville be the team moved. Without calculating it out, I'm thinking Nashville is closer to the teams in the SE overall than another team that might get bumped to make room for Detroit, say Pittsburgh or Philly.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #59
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Are you sure that's right?

Report: Gary Bettman proposes major NHL realignment - NHL - Sporting News

Looks like it could be a 15 team per conference, 2 divisions per conference (8 in one and 7 in the other) alignmenthttp://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-06-23/report-gary-bettman-proposes-major-nhl-realignment-winnipeg-detroit-red-wings?

It could also set up the NHL to add two teams (I know, not what they need right now) down the line. I absolutely hate the idea that the top 4 teams in each division would make the playoffs.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-23-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #60
Logan
Head Coach

In that case...it's an advantage to playing in the 7 team division.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #61
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I read that the conferences would be balanced: Each having one 8 team division and one 7 team division.

The top for teams from each division make the playoffs.

First round would be "divisional play." That means that the top seed in each division would play the fourth seed in that division and the second and third seeds in that division would play. So, unlike now, there would be no inter-divisional playoff games in the first round.

After the first round, the four remaining teams in each conference would be re-seeded, by record or divisional ranking I would guess. Similar how it's done to day.

I don't think that's too terrible an idea. I like the idea of the first round being strictly "divisional play." The league tried to make divisional games more important and spark divisional rivalries coming out of the lockout when they had each team playing some very high number of divisional games this year. It didn't really work. The main reason is that rivalries tend to develop in playoff series. If you want two teams to hate each other, make them play each other in the playoffs.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #62
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think that's too terrible an idea. I like the idea of the first round being strictly "divisional play." The league tried to make divisional games more important and spark divisional rivalries coming out of the lockout when they had each team playing some very high number of divisional games this year. It didn't really work. The main reason is that rivalries tend to develop in playoff series. If you want two teams to hate each other, make them play each other in the playoffs.

I think they went overkill with the whole 3 home, 3 away regular season divisional games.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #63
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

The other problem with the current setup is rather than make Edmonton v Calgary feel like an intense rivalry, they play each other so often it becomes "just another game against Calgary". In the case of rivalries, less is often more.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #64
bronconick
College Starter

CANOE -- SLAM! Sports - NHL - NHL maps out major changes

Here's what I got. He contradicts himself, first saying that Columbus and Detroit both get their wish to move East, but each conference would have one of 8 and one of 7.

Edit: Unless the conferences are no longer going to be East/West, in which case Detroit/Columbus don't improve their postseason time zone travel as much.

Last edited by bronconick : 06-23-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #65
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I think they went overkill with the whole 3 home, 3 away regular season divisional games.

Wasn't it 4 and 4 initially and then they cut it back to 3 and 3? I can't remember exactly.

I actually don't find 3 and 3 against divisional opponents to be overkill. I believe it's a smaller percentage of the overall schedule than the NFL's 1 and 1 setup. Not sure how it compares to NBA or MLB, though MLB is a different beast all together.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #66
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Wasn't it 4 and 4 initially and then they cut it back to 3 and 3? I can't remember exactly.

I actually don't find 3 and 3 against divisional opponents to be overkill. I believe it's a smaller percentage of the overall schedule than the NFL's 1 and 1 setup. Not sure how it compares to NBA or MLB, though MLB is a different beast all together.

I think you're right. I think it's hard to compare to the NFL.

I like the idea of a home-and-home series against every team in the league. Something I've missed.

The possible good news is that the Islanders might finally be getting their new arena.

http://www.buffalonews.com/wire-feed...icle464609.ece
Old 06-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #67
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I like the idea of a home-and-home series against every team in the league. Something I've missed.

I agree with this. That should be a minimum, which would likely involve shaving some of the intra-divisional games.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #68
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
In that case...it's an advantage to playing in the 7 team division.

A pretty serious advantage - with a 7 team division some pretty hilarious possibilities for teams under .500 to get in at the expense of much better teams in the 8 team division on a regular basis I would have thought. Just another brilliant Bettman idea. Let's propose a playoff system that is inherently unfair to 14 out of 30 teams in the league.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #69
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yes, used to be 8 divisional games. I remember this because Pens went 8-0 vs. Philly in the 2007 season.

Edit to add: If it is going to be top 4 of each division make the playoffs, I am in favor of going back to 8 games vs. divisional opponents. Those are the teams you are competing against for a postseason spot. A team who plays well in their division should be rewarded with that spot rather than a team who does well outside of their division.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-23-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #70
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
A pretty serious advantage - with a 7 team division some pretty hilarious possibilities for teams under .500 to get in at the expense of much better teams in the 8 team division on a regular basis I would have thought. Just another brilliant Bettman idea. Let's propose a playoff system that is inherently unfair to 14 out of 30 teams in the league.

Actually it's worse - it's unfair to 16/30 (all of the teams in the 8 team divisions). So it would be unfair to a majority of teams in the league - for no good reason.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-23-2011 at 12:58 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #71
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Schedule is out

Bruins open against Philly; Winnipeg to host Habs - NHL.com - Schedule

2011-2012 regular season NHL team schedules - NHL.com - Schedule

All 30 teams play on the final day of the season, 4/7/12

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-23-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #72
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Actually it's worse - it's unfair to 16/30 (all of the teams in the 8 team divisions). So it would be unfair to a majority of teams in the league - for no good reason.

lol yeah good catch. I can't believe this is seriously being considered, or the board of governors would ever pass it
Old 06-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #73
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
I'm not sure you'll ever come up with a system that is fair to everyone.

Just look at this year... Vancouver finished first overall, but had a huge advantage playing 24 games vs teams that didn't make the playoffs. What if they had to play in the central with Detroit, Nashville and Chicago instead of Edmonton, Calgary and Colorado? (might not be as big advantage now that you play 6 games vs division rivals compared to when it was 8... but it is still an advantage)

Last edited by chrisj : 06-23-2011 at 02:04 PM.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #74
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Jeff Carter traded to Columbus? Looks like for Voracek, # 8, & 3rd rounder
Old 06-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #75
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Steve Levy just tweeted Versteeg to the Flyers but that was all he said.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #76
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Steve Levy just tweeted Versteeg to the Flyers but that was all he said.

Versteeg was already in Philly. Out of Philly?

Edit- Looks like to Florida. Which makes sense, with Tallon there.

Double Edit - Bobby Mac saying reports of Versteeg to Florida are false.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-23-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #77
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Too many incoming tweets, my mind was boggled. Obviously meant Florida.

GMillerTSN Gord Miller by CaptainOrange18
Mike Richards to LA for a package including Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds? Hearing from good sources that it could happen.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #78
DeToxRox
Head Coach

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Unconfirmed reports that Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds would be PHI bound. But not done yet. Could happen. Stay tuned.

Eklund initially broke this too. Unreal if he fucking gets one right.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #79
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Mike Richards to LA for a package including Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds? Hearing from good sources that it could happen.

Trading texts with Sak on all of this.

Trading Carter AND Richards? That's nuts.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #80
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Just saw the same thing from Bob McKenzie on twitter... Philly pretty active today.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #81
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I'm not sure you'll ever come up with a system that is fair to everyone.

Just look at this year... Vancouver finished first overall, but had a huge advantage playing 24 games vs teams that didn't make the playoffs. What if they had to play in the central with Detroit, Nashville and Chicago instead of Edmonton, Calgary and Colorado? (might not be as big advantage now that you play 6 games vs division rivals compared to when it was 8... but it is still an advantage)

This is true, but there's "oh that's not fair but the strength of the divisions might change over time and even out" and then "teams playing in division x will have a permanent and obvious advantage over teams playing in division y every single year". Not the same thing IMO. Dumbest proposal I've seen in a long time.

Wow... Philly completely rebuilding their team around Bryzgalov? Not sure he's that good of a goaltender to warrant doing that.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #82
DeToxRox
Head Coach

RT @GMillerTSN Done deal, and it's a blockbuster. Phi trades captain Mike Richards to LA for Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #83
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

wow
Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #84
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

If this is honestly true, I don't get it.

Look at the teams with recent success:

Boston: Krejci, Bergeron (+Seguin...Peverly)
Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin, Staal
Chicago: Toews, Sharp, Bolland
Detroit: Datsyuk, Zetterberg (+Filpulla...Draper)

I like Giroux alot. But Giroux-Briere-Blair Betts isn't really that terrifying if I'm matching up against Philly.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #85
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow.

This is madness.

How do you trade your captain/#1 center and your #2.

Like SB is saying, teams that have been successful are almost always strong down the middle.

With the aging defensive core and Bryzgalov it seems sort of odd to switch gears and start going with some sort of youth movement up front.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #86
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wow.

This is madness.

How do you trade your captain/#1 center and your #2.

Like SB is saying, teams that have been successful are almost always strong down the middle.

With the aging defensive core and Bryzgalov it seems sort of odd to switch gears and start going with some sort of youth movement up front.
+infinty!

The window with Pronger and Timonen is another year or so. Schenn might turn out to be a strong player, but not this year. Simmonds is a solid player, but not a game breaker.

As I said, I like Giroux. But Philly looks real easy to play against down the middle now.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #87
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

Just thinking out loud here, Sak can confirm

JVR - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Briere - Versteeg
Leino - Schenn - Simmonds
Betts - Powe - Nodl/Carcillo

As a Pittsburgher, that makes me happy.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #88
bronconick
College Starter

"Today, the Winter Classic will feature the 16-24-5 Rangers and the 11-28-4 Flyers."

NBC just got trolled by Philly.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #89
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Bryz signed - 9 years, 51 mil.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #90
bronconick
College Starter

So it went from 7 years, 50 million to 9 years, 51 million? If those last two years are actually 500k, I hope it gets rejected.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #91
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Today Holmgren is like Michael Corleone on the day of his nephew's baptism, he is settling all family business.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #92
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I hope it's rejected...then Bryzgalov signs with the Isles July 1st.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #93
Galaxy
Coordinator

Rumors are circulating that Calgary is trying to move D Robyn Regehr to Buffalo. He needs to waive his no-trade clause.

http://wgr550.com/TSN-Report--Robyn-...falo-/10188408

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-23-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #94
bhlloy
Coordinator

WTF are they thinking? I don't think Bryzgalov is going to age well or gracefully either. Absolute madness.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #95
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
First round would be "divisional play." That means that the top seed in each division would play the fourth seed in that division and the second and third seeds in that division would play. So, unlike now, there would be no inter-divisional playoff games in the first round..

If they go for this I hope they play two rounds of divisional playoffs. There does not seem to be much point in having divisional playoffs if you don't have a division championship.

Last edited by Ryan S : 06-23-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #96
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i cant believe the flyers signed carter to an 11 year contract and got out from under it before it even started. that is some kind of magic right there.

nash must be happy today.

im torn as a devils fan. richards and carter killed us, but schenn will be a beast, the other forwards they picked up have promise (ive always loved simmonds game), and the #8 will probably land them another good defenseman for when their older ones start dropping off

weird trades, but i cant say they mortgaged their entire future

the only for sure plus to me is being stuck with bryz for a while. they were a scarier team yesterday, i think.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #97
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
WTF are they thinking? I don't think Bryzgalov is going to age well or gracefully either. Absolute madness.

Simmonds is 22, Voracek is 21, Schenn is 19. They also picked up the #8 pick. They gave away their top two centers for that. Both were 26.

They just gave 9 years to a 31 year old goalie. They have a 36 year old in Kimmo Timonen until 2013. They have a 36 year old Chris Pronger until he is 42. They have a 33 year old Danny Briere until 2015.

By the time guys like Schenn are ready to contribute, they're going to have a handful of old worthless contracts. What exactly are they trying to do?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #98
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

These two were traded because of their lack of discipline off the ice....mainly Richards. There were many rumors about their partying in center city after game nights. The GM had a talk with them both and neither listened.

I also think there is more to the story about Richards and Lavy not getting along. I'm not about to spaz out about the 9 year deal to Bryz. Their owner has deep pockets and doesnt mind having high priced talent in the minors if it comes to it.

Timmonen has said a few times he may retire before his contract is over, and since being moved back to center Briere's production has gone up. Pronger is the only one who scares me with the back issues.

I will be interested to see what they do with the rest of their cap money. Rumors have been circulating that Leino wants 4 mil a year and the Flyers will let him walk and possibly make an offer sheet offer to Stamkos or go after Brad Richards. They aren't done yet.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #99
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Any offer sheet Stamkos gets, that Philly can offer with their cap space, will get matched. Rough guess but they could give him something between 8-9m per. Also, Stamkos has to sign the offersheet.

Talentwise, there is a good chance Philly comes out ahead...in 2015. But the window to win is now.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #100
BlackJack
n00b

Quote:
"Today, the Winter Classic will feature the 16-24-5 Rangers and the 11-28-4 Flyers."

NBC just got trolled by Philly.

Rangers were a playoff team last season, pretty good young talent, no reason to think they won't be at least as good. But yeah, Flyers blow.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote