Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #51
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

If the school wanting to hire him can give a reasonable arguement to the NCAA as to why, then he can coach but he will be suspended for the first five games of the regular season, plus any conference championship game or bowl game.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
If the school wanting to hire him can give a reasonable arguement to the NCAA as to why, then he can coach but he will be suspended for the first five games of the regular season, plus any conference championship game or bowl game.

Given the Bruce Pearl situation - and the Kiffie probation stuff - I can't see UT touching a guy who has a Show Cause with a hundred foot pole.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #53
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Maybe they just know they're going to fire the next guy in three years.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #54
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Mark Stoops reportedly to Kentucky

Twitter / KySportsRadio: OFFICIAL: KSR can confirm Mark ...
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #55
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Sark to Ark?
No.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #56
digamma
Torchbearer

Paul Finebaum @finebaum
What's next?Saban back to LSU?@SPORTSbyBROOKS: SbB has learned Ark is engaged w/ reps of Les Miles & a $5-yr $27.5M offer on table.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #57
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Paul Finebaum @finebaum
What's next?Saban back to LSU?@SPORTSbyBROOKS: SbB has learned Ark is engaged w/ reps of Les Miles & a $5-yr $27.5M offer on table.

In other words, the agent for Miles is trying to get his contract bumped up at LSU.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #58
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Knowing little, is that a credible source (Paul Finebuam?) Or is this a troll? Wasn't he some Alabama radio host that everyone hates, or am I "misremembering?"
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #59
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
Les Miles to Arkansas? - SBNation.com
Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #60
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Knowing little, is that a credible source (Paul Finebuam?) Or is this a troll? Wasn't he some Alabama radio host that everyone hates, or am I "misremembering?"

He is a very controversial host that a lot of people hate but he is the equivalent of Howard Stern for SEC radio. Usually pretty credible stuff and in the know accept when it comes to Auburn.

Last edited by panerd : 11-27-2012 at 04:59 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #61
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Pinkel is the reason Mizzou is in the SEC. Pinkel is staying. I won't go all MJ4H if I am wrong but firing him after one poor season after what he has done would have to make think other coaches think twice about coming to Mizzou right? Plus with Tenn, Ark, and Auburn open in the SEC what exactly would they be able to get as the 3rd/4th most desirable opening in just the conference?

If Pinkel left it would be demoralizing for the Mizzou fanbase. I don't think he should go. Like you said, he's done a ton for the school.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #62
digamma
Torchbearer

Finebaum is credible. I am not so sure about Sports by Brooks.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #63
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Makes no logical sense outside of Les getting LSU to pay him more.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #64
cschex
High School Varsity

Seriously? Sports by Brooks? What's that guy's success rate for "scoops", 2%? That rumor makes literally no sense
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #65
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Well, now apparently the Times Picuyane is reporting an offer. I'm just reading Twitter for funsies. Twitter / ?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #66
Logan
Head Coach

In a move that surprises no one, Miles has agreed to an extension with LSU. Which led to this good tweet:

@RandyRosetta LSU AD says Les Miles contract extension is not in reaction to another offer & says media won't believe him. He's right.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #67
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa is not searching for any coaches........unfortunately.

Greg Davis comes back as OC after Iowa produces on of the worst performances in FBS.

The fanbase is up in arms. Not a happy group. But Ferentz has an $18 million dollar buyout.

Ferentz had his end of season presser today. He was smug, condescending and flippant. A jerk. Who made excuses when he said there were no excuses. Among other idiotic answers. And our weak press let him go. No tough questions.

What has Iowa gotten themselves into?

Maybe our AD will get fired.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #68
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I know this is about football coaches. I think Wake needs to get a basketball coach something fierce.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #69
Logan
Head Coach

Apparently Charlie Strong interviewed for the Auburn job within the last two days.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #70
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
I know this is about football coaches. I think Wake needs to get a basketball coach something fierce.

Not to continue the threadjack, but I'm a UNC alum who fondly remembers all those great games we played in the 90s. I still get pissed off thinking about Randolph Childress ABSOLUTELY KILLING US FROM OUTSIDE and we still couldn't figure out how to stop him. I'd really like to see Wake find its mojo again. Hasn't been the same since Odom left.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #71
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
Not to continue the threadjack, but I'm a UNC alum who fondly remembers all those great games we played in the 90s. I still get pissed off thinking about Randolph Childress ABSOLUTELY KILLING US FROM OUTSIDE and we still couldn't figure out how to stop him. I'd really like to see Wake find its mojo again. Hasn't been the same since Odom left.

Fellow UNC alum... the bad news is that we still can't stop outside shooting.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #72
Izulde
Head Coach

Hauck is getting at least another year and they're swearing 5-6 wins next year.

I'm betting another 2 win season but I won't be in LV anymore, so I won't have to watch the ugliness.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #73
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Dave Doeren hired as North Carolina State Wolfpack coach - ESPN

Doeren to NCSate.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #74
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Reaction I've seen has been mixed to positive. Most of the negatives have to do with the fact that he wasn't at NIU very long (in a sense, it still wasn't "his" program, but he maintained someone else's work), that he was from NIU, period (that is, he's a lower-level college coach and not a high-major one), and that he was a defensive coach before becoming head coach (after years of an O'Brien/Bible offense, fans are keen for something more...inventive, I guess is the right word).

My own personal take is that this is very much a high risk/high reward hire. He's relatively young, has had some recruiting success in the past when he was assistant at Wisconsin (Montee Ball has been mentioned as one of his pickups), and coming from the MAC, he's relatively inexpensive. So, if he turns out well enough, hopefully it means we've gotten someone we could have around for quite a while and hopefully we'll be big enough to only face the occasional poaching threat from an SEC school. If he doesn't, then he's still not going to cost a whole lot to let go. Is it a home run hire? No. But, there were few that were (State's not getting anybody out of the SEC, for example) and some of those had issues that precluded their hire anyway (ahem, Bobby Petrino).

So, while not a headline-grabbing hire, it has a lot of potential and it looks decent after he coached NIU to the MAC title last night (and that win likely made accepting his hire a bit easier...I'm pretty sure the hire would have been ripped pretty hard had NIU got blown out last night).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #75
MrBug708
Head Coach

Petersen to Arkansas is all over the web
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #76
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Petersen to Arkansas is all over the web
I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #77
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

He's a west coast guy, can't see him going south.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #78
molson
General Manager

Peterson to anywhere but Cal, Stanford, or Oregon would be pretty shocking, especially with the Oregon job possibly on the verge of opening up. But as long as he's at Boise St, internet "done deal" reports will happen every year. Last year it was UCLA, and I think North Carolina.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #79
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I think Sitake might be the one taking the bullet at Utah. I need to reach out to him to see how he is doing and find out what the scuttlebutt is over there.

I haven't talked to him since the beginning of this season, but he was positive going into it..
Old 12-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #80
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pretty funny (particularly coming from scout.com): Scout.com: Will Chris Petersen Be YOUR Next Coach?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #81
Logan
Head Coach

Butch Jones of Cincy is interviewing for the Purdue job.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #82
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I think Sitake might be the one taking the bullet at Utah. I need to reach out to him to see how he is doing and find out what the scuttlebutt is over there.

I haven't talked to him since the beginning of this season, but he was positive going into it..

Hell we will take him down south, DC and groom him to take over when Bronco leaves, love that guy!!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #83
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Butch Jones of Cincy is interviewing for the Purdue job.

So guys, what are your thoughts on him? Rumor from several people at Purdue is that the school is basically going to go all-in on him, particularly after Doeren told us that he had no interest and took the NC State job (which, to me, is a bit telling about the direction/quality of our program). Just curious what you guys think and know about Jones.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #84
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Hell we will take him down south, DC and groom him to take over when Bronco leaves, love that guy!!

Yeah, I would love to see him down south, but he has had offers from all over the country at the DC position and he hasn't jumped because he was promised next in line.

I just hope Whitt knows what he is doing and doesn't throw anyone under the bus, he had a piss poor offense and a rookie OC calling the shots. It kept the defense on the field 80% of the time.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #85
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
So guys, what are your thoughts on him? Rumor from several people at Purdue is that the school is basically going to go all-in on him, particularly after Doeren told us that he had no interest and took the NC State job (which, to me, is a bit telling about the direction/quality of our program). Just curious what you guys think and know about Jones.

Very good gameday coach, although he made such a bad decision with a 4th down call vs Rutgers a few weeks ago that I don't know if I'd ever want him coaching my team. But let's ignore a single mistake. He does a good job getting his QBs to overachieve, he seems to keep finding guys further down in the depth chart that can step in and contribute. Seems to be a solid recruiter re: rankings, nothing too special but gets 3* players continuously.

Along the lines of what you're thinking, I'm surprised he's interested in the Purdue job. To me it says much more about where he thinks Cincy will end up with realignment (read: out of it) and he wants to get out while he can. I think he is good enough for a higher level B1G job, and I doubt he climbs the ladder from within the conference.

But you should be very happy if you get him.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #86
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Report: South Florida to fire Skip Holtz - CBSSports.com

Skip Holtz reportedly out at USF.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #87
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks Logan, the information is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #88
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Very good gameday coach, although he made such a bad decision with a 4th down call vs Rutgers a few weeks ago that I don't know if I'd ever want him coaching my team. But let's ignore a single mistake. He does a good job getting his QBs to overachieve, he seems to keep finding guys further down in the depth chart that can step in and contribute. Seems to be a solid recruiter re: rankings, nothing too special but gets 3* players continuously.

Along the lines of what you're thinking, I'm surprised he's interested in the Purdue job. To me it says much more about where he thinks Cincy will end up with realignment (read: out of it) and he wants to get out while he can. I think he is good enough for a higher level B1G job, and I doubt he climbs the ladder from within the conference.

But you should be very happy if you get him.

Eh, I'm not as high on him as you are Logan. Not sure what my biggest complaint is about him tho. Heck Dantonio got the Michigan State job after a 18-17 record at Cincy so I do think he could hold out for a better job then Purdue.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #89
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Paul Petrino of Arkansas Razorbacks hired as Idaho Vandals coach, sources say - ESPN

Idaho hires Paul Petrino. Idaho is a WAC team, but will be an independent next year (as will NM State) since the WAC won't sponsor football after this year.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #90
MrBug708
Head Coach

As long as there is an SEC, Idaho will continue to have opponents
Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #91
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
As long as there is an SEC, Idaho will continue to have opponents

molson can speak to this better than me, but really, UI is the flagship. They're not very good obviously outside of that one bowl season they had when Erickson went up there, Kibbie Dome is tiny and they need to really go back to FCS and play in the Big Sky (where they're wanted) but...all of the state officials still come from Idaho since it's the flagship and there's some resentment that the former Boise Junior College is now some kind of football power.

Plus some distinction of not wanting to be the first FBS school to go back down to FCS. I just don't know where their conference lifeline is going to come from, Sun Belt doesn't want them back, Mountain West told them "stop trying to make fetch happen, Idaho. It's not going to happen." and so, really...it's a matter of them playing chicken.

The good news about an independent schedule means if they schedule well, they should be able to achieve bowl eligibility relatively short order. And it seems likely they'll work out a deal with the Idaho Potato Bowl akin to what Hawaii has with the Hawaii bowl.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-02-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #92
MrBug708
Head Coach

Bronco Mendenhall interviewed with CU. It's probably just a pay raise, but using CU as the leverage has to be disheartening
Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #93
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

NIU has named the replacement for Dave Doeren: Rod Carey, the current offensive coordinator. I'm a bit surprised he's not going with Doeren but this is a good first head coaching gig.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #94
MrBug708
Head Coach

So where does Sonny Dykes land now that LTU just declined a bowl
Old 12-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #95
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I've read that Butch Jones is going to interview with Colorado as well. Looks like Purdue's first choice, but as a lifetime boiler fan I can see him turning us down.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #96
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Bronco Mendenhall interviewed with CU. It's probably just a pay raise, but using CU as the leverage has to be disheartening

I am really confused at this one.

A. You could be right because Boulder is the exact opposite of the type of environment that Provo is and Bronco wears the Provo experience on his sleeve. Just doesn't seem like a good fit and many decision makers at BYU love him and could pony up more money.

B. There has been alledged friction between Bronco and AD Tom Holmoe and this has easily been the most frustrating season for BYU fans since he took over. Bronco does not always have the thickest of skins and with many believing he badly mishandled the QB situation, it could be to the point he is looking for a change and/or escape from the pressure of Provo.

There are also rumors of disharmony among some of the coaches, so if he does stay I see changes on the staff.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #97
korme
Go Reds

Hearing that Butch has all but agreed to become CU's next coach. Dantonio, Kelly, now Jones. Ugh
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #98
molson
General Manager

Idaho is apparently about to hire (Paul) Petrino. That has to be one of the worst jobs in the country in that they don't have a conference, they can't win, and yet they appear to have some type of expectation and keep firing coaches.

Edit: Didn't even read 5 posts earlier....sorry.

Last edited by molson : 12-04-2012 at 09:09 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #99
MrBug708
Head Coach

Tennessee fans are claiming Mora not only is interested in the job, but is actively trying to get hired and might have interviewed for the job

Weird.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #100
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Tennessee fans are claiming Mora not only is interested in the job, but is actively trying to get hired and might have interviewed for the job

Weird.

We'll see. They were also claiming Gruden had already signed his contract at one point.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote