Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Mustain, Stafford, Tebow, Smelley - Best Collegiate/NFL career
Mustain 15 18.07%
Stafford 27 32.53%
Tebow 27 32.53%
Smelley 2 2.41%
Trout 12 14.46%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2006, 07:59 AM   #51
Edward64
Head Coach

Oct 14 stats:

Passing CP-AT YDS TD INT RTG
Matthew Stafford 9-13 86 0 0 124.8
Mitch Mustain 5-13 51 1 0 96.8
Tim Tebow -no pass attempts-

Rushing ATT YDS AVG LG TD
Matthew Stafford -no rush attempts-
Mitch Mustain -no rush attempts-
Tim Tebow 3 18 6.0 16 1

AR won big over SE Missouri St (I-AA) and Mustain played first half with sub-par performance. He hasn't had a good showing since the Vanderbilt game. Casey Dick (redshirt sophomore) was the starter until he got hurt before the season and he outplayed Mustain this game. My guess is he'll share playing time with Mustain now that he is healthy. Mustain is 5-0 now but that's deceiving due to the strength of our running game.

Didn't see the GA game. Stafford played every 3rd series and although the Dogs lost to Vanderbilt, it looks as if he (and Tereshinski) did well but something didn't click for GA.

Tebow, until he gets more playing time directing a series, I don't think we can evaluate how well he is doing. They'll blame the loss on Leak but Tebow hasn't really shown anything other than running (has he?).

On a side note, with Adrian Peterson (Adrian, don't bother coming back ... go pro) out for the season hoping AR McFadden gets more press. He only had 6-71 w/2 tds before he was pulled for good. Doesn't help his stats but a classy move.

Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:51 PM   #52
st.cronin
General Manager

I think from what I've seen I like Tebow best of all of them right now. He's like a regen of Steve Young.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:16 AM   #53
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I think from what I've seen I like Tebow best of all of them right now. He's like a regen of Steve Young.

The reason why I don't agree (and am undecided) is Tebow has run much more than thrown and I don't believe he has lead the team through many (if any) series down the field.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #54
KWhit
Coordinator

Stafford has been named the starter for Saturday's game against Miss State.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:47 PM   #55
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The reason why I don't agree (and am undecided) is Tebow has run much more than thrown and I don't believe he has lead the team through many (if any) series down the field.

This is a good point, but what I've seen of Tebow has impressed me more than what I've seen of Mustain or Stafford. I do think they also both have terrific potential. I'm prepared to change my mind 4 or 5 times this year, though.

knives out
Old 10-17-2006, 01:21 PM   #56
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
This is a good point, but what I've seen of Tebow has impressed me more than what I've seen of Mustain or Stafford. I do think they also both have terrific potential. I'm prepared to change my mind 4 or 5 times this year, though.

10-14, 1 INT, 152 Yards, 2 TD

Keeping in mind that at least one of those TD passes came when everyone KNEW he would run.

I'm not saying Tebow can't be a good passer, I just don't know how you can draw any conclusion at all about him being a QB (not a RB) from his performance so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:25 PM   #57
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

Keeping in mind that at least one of those TD passes came when everyone KNEW he would run.

I'm not saying Tebow can't be a good passer, I just don't know how you can draw any conclusion at all about him being a QB (not a RB) from his performance so far.

We've seen him throw the ball far and accurately. What we don't know yet is whether he can perform under pressure, and consistently make good decisions. We also don't know that about Mustain and Stafford.

knives out
Old 10-17-2006, 10:05 PM   #58
ahbrady
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

But you have to admit he had great form on that jumping TD pass.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #59
Edward64
Head Coach

Oct 21 stats:

Matthew Stafford 20-32 270 2 3 135.3
Mitch Mustain 12-15 157 1 0 189.9
Tim Tebow -bye week-

Matthew Stafford 3 14 4.7 10 0
Mitch Mustain 1 -3 -3.0 0 0
Tim Tebow -bye week-

A good weekend for the 2 freshman QBs. Mustain numbers are respectful against Old Miss and it looks as if Stafford had his first solid passing game against Miss St (starting even with a healthy Tereshinski) with 2 TDs but 3 interceptions (any GA fans concerned about his TD to INT ratio?).

Saw the AR game, Mustain threw short, effective passes and was error free. A short screen pass to McFadden resulted in a long TD run. I don't remember a pass longer than 15 yards. He needs to be more of a passing threat, teams are definitely focused on AR's running game (McFadden and Jones didn't have great nos) and he'll need to loosen up the defense by passing more. He hasn't had a solid passing game since Vanderbilt, hope they really open up the air game next week against LA-Monroe, get him ready for SC and then TN.

Didn't see the GA game but it looks as if the Dogs are still a little shakey, game was closer than it should have been. FL is up next.

I think both QBs are developing nicely (albeit slowly) and neither has crashed and burned, and lost their confidence (yet).

Mustain should have a breeze next week, our running game will keep us in even if he fades. Stafford could really get messed up if he does not perform well next week, he'll have to play well to win against FL.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:38 PM   #60
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't remember a pass longer than 15 yards.

Just back from the game. There was at least one longer than that. The one down to Marcus Monk on about the 1 yard line in the first half before Peyton's TD.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #61
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Just back from the game. There was at least one longer than that. The one down to Marcus Monk on about the 1 yard line in the first half before Peyton's TD.

I take it Hog country is happy with 6-1? and 6 straight with Mustain?

I feel bad for Casey Dick, he didn't do anything to lose the job and it looks as if he is the better QB right now. If I was him, I would seriously contemplate transferring to get more playing time (ex. Old Miss).
Old 10-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #62
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah people are pretty happy around here. There are still a lot of people that don't like Houston Nutt, and, quite frankly, they sound like asses to me. But still, winning is good medicine and the mood is pretty positive overall.

Casey Dick definitely looks more polished right now than Mustain. I'm ok with both getting time, personally. Nutt has done that well in the past.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #63
Edward64
Head Coach

Misc news on Mustain, Tebow and Stafford.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...nry&id=2632909

Stafford vs Leak/Tebow Saturday. Hope Tebow gets throw more.

Mustain should have it easy tomorrow, hope he really opens up. Even if he makes mistakes, AR should win easy.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #64
Edward64
Head Coach

Oct 28th stats:

Matthew Stafford 13-33 151 0 2 65.7
Tim Tebow -na-

Matthew Stafford 7 -2 -0.3 13 1
Tim Tebow 6 37 6.2 20 0

Disappointed. Stafford INTs continue and should have been replaced by Cox or Tereshinski in the 2nd half. I know he had a pretty TD run but he was, at best ineffective in the big game.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:56 PM   #65
ahbrady
High School JV

Mustain isn't doing so hot in the first half tonight. At halftime against Louisiana-Monroe, he is 3-12 for 23 yards, 2 INT, and 1 TD.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:44 PM   #66
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahbrady View Post
Mustain isn't doing so hot in the first half tonight. At halftime against Louisiana-Monroe, he is 3-12 for 23 yards, 2 INT, and 1 TD.

You're right (but getting better stats now in the 2nd half). I'm okay with Nutt/Malzahn letting him air it out, make mistakes etc., the Hogs should still win the game easily with the running game and defense (4 ints now?).

But that darn GA-FL game. Richt letting Stafford stay and start in the 2nd half when he had others that (possibly) could have pulled it off was not the (imho) right coaching move.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:11 PM   #67
Edward64
Head Coach

Oct 28th stats (updated):

Matthew Stafford 13-33 151 0 2 65.7
Tim Tebow -na-
Mitch Mustain 7-18 71 2 2 86.5

Matthew Stafford 7 -2 -0.3 13 1
Tim Tebow 6 37 6.2 20 0
Mitch Mustain -na-

Not a bad game for Mustain. At least 3 dropped catcheable passes hurt his stats but good to see him air it.

SC is up next. SC played well against TN tonight and will be more of a challenge next week.

Even at 7-1, I wonder if AR is for real. We should move up at least 1 spot with Clemson losing.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:31 PM   #68
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Outside of dynasty posts, I don't think I've ever seen such a one-sided post count...
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:43 PM   #69
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Outside of dynasty posts, I don't think I've ever seen such a one-sided post count...

Welcome any analysis and participation.

Figure this post should take off next year when all 3 freshman QBs will be playing full time barring any injuries.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:46 PM   #70
st.cronin
General Manager

I stand by what I said last week, that Tebow will turn out the best, at least at the collegiate level. Stafford has the best arm, I think, but he's not exactly Tom Brady. Mustain looks good enough, but hasn't really produced. I don't know if that's a function of the team, or what.

Tebow seems to be in the best situation, and to be the best athlete.

knives out
Old 10-29-2006, 08:30 AM   #71
ahbrady
High School JV

Quote:
You're right (but getting better stats now in the 2nd half). I'm okay with Nutt/Malzahn letting him air it out, make mistakes etc., the Hogs should still win the game easily with the running game and defense (4 ints now?).

But that darn GA-FL game. Richt letting Stafford stay and start in the 2nd half when he had others that (possibly) could have pulled it off was not the (imho) right coaching move.

I'm okay with that too, and I think that Mustain should be getting at least the majority of the snaps. What did you think about their decision to leave him in during the Alabama game where Mustain wasn't playing well and the game was in doubt? That was similar to what Richt did yesterday in my opinion, although Mustain's numbers were much worse in that game than Stafford's were in the Florida game.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:47 AM   #72
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting quote in the Athens newspaper game article today

http://onlineathens.com/stories/1029...61029090.shtml
"I made some mistakes definitely," Stafford said, "but I felt like I made a couple of plays, too. I was just trying to hang in there."

Just trying to "hang in there"? That's not exactly the confidence I'd want to hear from the guy who is trying to win what is arguably the biggest game of the year.

After reading that, I'm with Edward64 I think, Richt should have probably looked elsewhere in the 2nd half.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #73
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahbrady View Post
I'm okay with that too, and I think that Mustain should be getting at least the majority of the snaps. What did you think about their decision to leave him in during the Alabama game where Mustain wasn't playing well and the game was in doubt? That was similar to what Richt did yesterday in my opinion, although Mustain's numbers were much worse in that game than Stafford's were in the Florida game.

I think the differences are (1) I/we thought this was going to be rebuilding anyway and a loss would have meant little (2) the game was close throughout and Mustain didn't start his INT until 4th qtr.

But point well taken. Nutt would have been criticized if we had lost the game for not putting in Casey Dick (me included), thank the God of wide right for the win. Really feel bad for Casey, he was (not sure about now) the better QB then and did nothing to lose the starting position, Mustain was given it.

Quote:
After reading that, I'm with Edward64 I think, Richt should have probably looked elsewhere in the 2nd half.

JonInMiddleGA. I read the AJC and web. Did not see anyone else criticizing Richt so maybe I really don't know what I'm talking about but man ... it was painful to see GA stumble offensively like that.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:44 PM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I read the AJC and web. Did not see anyone else criticizing Richt so maybe I really don't know what I'm talking about ...

I imagine that by the time the coach's radio show runs, you'll have plenty of company
Old 11-04-2006, 10:35 PM   #75
Edward64
Head Coach

Nov 4 stats:

Mitch Mustain 0-1 0 0 1 -200.0
Matthew Stafford 16-28 230 1 3 116.5
Tim Tebow 1-3 5 0 0 47.3

Mitch Mustain -no rush attempts-
Matthew Stafford 5 35 7.0 9 0
Tim Tebow 6 38 6.3 25 0

Not a good day for Mustain. He threw an INT in the first series and was replaced by Casey Dick (Mustain also threw an INT in the first pass last game). No problems with that, looks like Casey is the better QB right now. If we were losing games and didn't have a post season to play for, I would stick with Mustain but there is TN and LSU coming up. Hope Mustain gets some mop up work and a little more experience before competing next year.

Didn't catch the GA game, my cable changed from Adelphia to Comcast and I couldn't find a GA-KY game (!). Based on stats, it looks like Stafford had a decent game other than for the INTs. Anyone have any comments on whether Richt should stick with Stafford or try Tereshinski/Cox to salvage the season?

Saw bits and pieces of the FL-Vandy game but only saw Leak at work (wonder where he'll go in the draft?). Missed any Tebow action, I hope Tebow is getting good experience he can build on for next year.

Bottom line to me, it looks as if the AR/GA freshmen QBs need to be reassessed and their starting role changed for the remainder of the season. Tebow is still unknown to me.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:45 PM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Didn't catch the GA game, my cable changed from Adelphia to Comcast and I couldn't find a GA-KY game (!).

Game wasn't televised live anywhere, not even PPV. It did, however, manage a late night tape delay tonight on some cable system.

Quote:
Anyone have any comments on whether Richt should stick with Stafford or try Tereshinski/Cox to salvage the season?

Barring injury, I'd say it's probably going to be Stafford the rest of the way.
At least that's the general feeling I get from listening to all the talk, but who knows what CMR will do.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:28 PM   #77
Edward64
Head Coach

Nov 11 stats:

Matthew Stafford 14-20 219 1 0 178.5
Tim Tebow 0-2 0 0 0 0.0
Mitch Mustain -na-

Matthew Stafford 7 83 11.9 39 1
Tim Tebow 5 29 5.8 12 1
Mitch Mustain -na-

Great job by Stafford. Okay, I was wrong in thinking it would be better to start one of the other 2 QBs. A rushing TD, a TD pass and no INTs (I think for the first time this year?).

Mustain has been regulated to 2nd string (and only came in for one hand off when Casey went to the sidelines). I think his season is done unless Casey gets hurt or mop up duty. Casey is redshirt sophomore, there will be a QB controversy next year.

Season is wrapping up and Stafford looks to end the season as the best of the 3 freshman QBs. He has the best opportunity to end it on a strong note, Mustain looks as if he is ending it on a down note. I know some will point to his 7 straight wins, but other than for the Vanderbilt game, Mustain was pretty mediocre.

Tebow? ... com'on Tebow fans, he really hasn't been tested or asked to perform seriously this year. His stats are not significant enough for the comparison.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #78
MJ4H
Coordinator

There is a press conference scheduled for 5pm this evening at the U of Arkansas. My prediction: Mustain (and maybe a few more) are transferring.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #79
Poli
FOFC Survivor

??
Old 12-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #80
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Wow, just heard the story, probably slanted since it was at a UT board.

Wow. I feel for ya, MJ4H.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:52 AM   #81
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
There is a press conference scheduled for 5pm this evening at the U of Arkansas. My prediction: Mustain (and maybe a few more) are transferring.

Wow, didn't signing Mustain essentially save Nutt's job last year?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #82
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It may essentially cost him his job now.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #83
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast View Post
It may essentially cost him his job now.

After the year they've had? He'll likely get an externsion, won't he?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #84
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm hearing ugly rumors at the volnation. Mustain leaving may mean Nutt leaves for Bama.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #85
MJ4H
Coordinator

OK, been following this for awhile. You may be hearing some ugly things, but not as ugly as I have for the last month, trust me.

Here is what is likely, in my estimation:

1. Mustain and maybe several others are probably transfering.

2. Houston Nutt is probably not going anywhere.

3. Gus Malzahn may be leaving, but I doubt it.

Anything else is extremely unlikely. Most people think the players were lied to about the offense to get them to commit. A lot of others think Nutt has not let Malzahn do what he needs to do as offensive coordinator. I think the latter is pretty silly, but I may be off base on that. Out of the three things above I think the most unlikely thing is Nutt leaving.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #86
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I figured volnation was slanted, it wouldn't surprise me if they got their info from Bama fans.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #87
st.cronin
General Manager

Where is Mustain transferring to? Big 12? ACC? Rutgers? Wisconsin?

knives out
Old 12-13-2006, 11:19 AM   #88
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Wow....was just doing a little lunch-time reading...

Parents voice concerns over Hogs’ offense

BY BOB HOLT
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006
URL: http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/175675/

FAYETTEVILLE — Parents for Arkansas freshman football players Mitch Mustain, Damian Williams and Ben Cleveland met with Razorbacks Athletic Director Frank Broyles last week to discuss concerns about the direction of the football program.
Rick Cleveland, Ben’s father, confirmed Tuesday that the meeting took place last Thursday in Broyles’ office and lasted about an hour. The meeting included Rick Cleveland, Beck Campbell (Mustain’s mother ), David and Karen Williams, and Broyles.
The meeting centered on whether Arkansas offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn will get more say in how the offense is run, Rick Cleveland said, and if it will be more pass-oriented.
Mustain is a quarterback and Cleveland and Williams are receivers, and all three played for Malzahn at Springdale High School, where they excelled in a Spread, no-huddle offense to help the Bulldogs go 14-0 last season and win the Class AAAAA state championship.
“The reason for the meeting was very simple,” Rick Cleveland said. “We wanted to know what is the direction of Arkansas ’ football program ? Are we eventually going to get to Gus ’ offense ? Or are we going to stay with the way we are at present ?”
In going 10-3 this season and winning the outright SEC West title, Arkansas’ offense has been built around sophomore tailbacks Darren McFadden, a consensus All-American who was the Heisman Trophy runnerup last week to Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith, and Felix Jones. They are the third duo in SEC history to each rush for 1, 000 yards, with McFadden at a school-record 1, 558 and Jones at 1, 018.
It was a big bounce back season for the Razorbacks after they went 5-6 and 4-7 the previous two years to put Coach Houston Nutt’s job status in jeopardy.
Nutt, who hired Malzahn last December to be offensive coordinator and call the plays, was voted SEC Coach of the Year by the media and coaches after the Razorbacks’ six-victory improvement.
“For us, personally, we have nothing against Houston Nutt, nothing against Arkansas ’ program,” Rick Cleveland said. “Every school and its head coach has the full authority to run the offense that they want. That’s what they go recruit people for, to run what they’re comfortable with.
“ That’s not the issue with us. Arkansas has every right to run that and do what they want.”
Cleveland said the issue for the Springdale players and their parents is that the offense isn’t what they were led to believe it would be during the recruiting process.
After Malzahn was hired, Ben Cleveland and Damian Williams switched their commitments from Florida to Arkansas and Mustain recommitted to Arkansas after reopening his recruiting.
“With our kids going to Arkansas, it’s basically like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole,” Rick Cleveland said of the offense. “When Gus came onto the scene, the very first question we would ask was, ‘Do you have full control of the offense and do you have full control of the personnel ?’ Which we were told, ‘Yes.’
“ I don’t believe Gus lied to us. But as the season has progressed, it’s very obvious that this is not Gus Malzahn’s offense and Gus does not have full control of the personnel or the play calling.
“ From our perspective — and it’s only our perspective — it seems as if you’ve been sold a bill of goods.
“ We never would have committed here knowing that this was the offense, because we knew our boys wouldn’t be happy.”
Rick Cleveland said the response from Broyles was that Nutt continues to be in charge of the team.
“His exact words were that experts have told us that Coach Malzahn’s offense will not work in the SEC and for it to work the quarterback has to run the ball 15 to 18 times a game,” Cleveland said. “That made it pretty clear that things are going to stay the way they are and Malzahn’s offense is not going to be run here.”
Broyles said Tuesday he had told the parents they needed to meet with Nutt, not him, but he agreed to see them when they showed up at his office anyway.
“I didn’t want to be rude,” said Broyles, who declined to discuss any details of the meeting.
Nutt declined comment Tuesday about the parents’ meeting but said he doesn’t expect any players to transfer. Malzahn couldn’t be reached for comment.
Rick Cleveland said the parents wanted to meet with Broyles “because he’s the one who ultimately controls everything” at Arkansas.
“Why not go to the person who’s totally in charge ?” Cleveland said. “It was a very pleasant meeting. There was no confrontation whatsoever.”
Since Malzahn was hired, he and Nutt have said publicly the offense would be a combination of what has worked well at Arkansas in the past with additions brought in by Malzahn and new quarterbacks coach Alex Wood, a former NFL offensive coordinator.
Malzahn has said the running backs are Arkansas’ best players and the team would play to its strengths, and his greatest contribution has been putting together an offense that enables McFadden and Jones to be on the field at the same time.
The Razorbacks have run numerous trick plays for big gains and excelled in a “Wildcat” package with the versatile McFadden at quarterback.
Nutt and Malzahn also have said they expect the passing game to continue to progress next season.
David Williams, Damian’s father, declined comment on the meeting and whether his son is considering transferring from Arkansas.
“To be honest with you, I don’t think any of the boys want to transfer. They love Arkansas,” Rick Cleveland said. “But as a ballplayer, you want to be used to the best of your abilities.”
Ben Cleveland and Damian Williams each made the SEC All-Freshman Team and are among Arkansas’ top six receivers.
Williams is tied for second on the team with 19 catches for 235 yards and 2 touchdowns, including a score that put Arkansas ahead to stay just before halftime in its SEC West title-clinching 28-14 victory at Mississippi State.
Cleveland is tied for fourth on the team with 11 catches for 98 yards and 2 touchdowns, including the game-tying reception in overtime against Alabama before Jeremy Davis hit the winning extra point in a 24-23 victory.
Mustain has completed 64 of 122 passes for 853 yards and 10 touchdowns with 8 interceptions. He started eight games, all victories by the Razorbacks, before being replaced by sophomore Casey Dick.
While the three Springdale freshmen have played key roles in the Razorbacks’ season, Rick Cleveland said they anticipated having more impact on the offense.
“It’s a very fluid situation,” Cleveland said of whether he expects any of the Springdale players to transfer. “These are 18-year-old kids. One day they want to stay. One day they’re upset and want to leave.
“ What the coaching staff has to understand is that they can’t keep telling these kids, ‘This is going to happen, this is going to happen, this is going to happen,’ and it doesn’t happen.”
Rick Cleveland said his son and Damian Williams want to play in an offense where they’ll catch 60 passes per season.
J. J. Meadors, with 62 catches in 1995, is the only Razorback with 60 or more catches in a season in the program’s history.
Five SEC players have 60 or more catches this season; three had 60 or more last season.
“Our boys are used to catching 60 passes a year,” Rick Cleveland said. “They want to go to a college where they get the same opportunity. Whether they’re good enough to do that or not is a whole different question. They have to earn that.
“ They are team players... but they’re saying, ‘Hey, I don’t know if I’ll be happy being in this offense, catching 10 balls a year or 15 and blocking 90 percent of the time.’”
Old 12-13-2006, 11:28 AM   #89
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

This was a real Catch-22 for Nutt. On one hand, you have probably the best team in the state in many years with 5 D1 kids. All of the Razorback nation expected him to sign these kids and he'd have serious issues if they went to other schools. He got the main prize (Mustain) and some others.

However, in what appears to be an obvious enticement for them to come to Fayettville, Nutt hires the kids' HS coach to be his OC...a rare move from HS to OC at a major school. Doing that opens up the obvious pandora's box of where do the kids' and parents' loyalties lie: Nutt or Malzahn? (obvious now). These kids and Malzahn are clearly undermining Nutt's leadership and direction, but you can't be all that surprised about it, considering the parents are on a first-name basis with the OC, and may have grown up in Springdale with Malzahn, for that matter.

Nutt was in sort of a lose-lose situation. Miss the recruits and get crucified, or bring them in with their own coach (and again, I suspect, an old friend of these kids' parents) and now we have this Machiavellian power play.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #90
Butter
Coordinator

Who is on Alabama's list right now?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:33 AM   #91
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Yep, it's a sucky situation all around.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #92
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
Miss the recruits and get fired

I really think this was the case.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #93
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Jeez, what a bunch of whining parents. I mean Mustain, Cleveland, and Williams are freshmen for God's sake. Maybe by the time they are Juniors the offense will be more spread formation, but for now, you can't suddenly switch to a spread formation with a group of players who are built more for a running game strategy overnight and expect success. It seems they are taking the gradual shift, and moving slowly to a more passing oriented offense.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:23 PM   #94
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well, that is what was publically said about the plans: that it would be a gradual change over the course of a few years to he HUNH philosophy (NOT necessarily to a spread formation and throwing it all over the field).

The coaches were on the record as sayingt they would need a year or two to get the players conditioned to it. I really have no idea what people are complaining about.

The real stickler to most people appears to be that AD Frank Broyles apparently told the parents that the HUNH would never work in the SEC (umm, ok?) and that he also didn't even know the players' names that were coming to see him. He only knew Mustain's because he "only pays attention to the quarterbacks." If there is any truth at all to this part, who the heck knows what happens next, but Broyles needs to go now. I think the next month or so could be really crazy here.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:33 PM   #95
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well I'm now hearing that Mustain is staying. Who the heck knows anymore. Trying to figure this out is not worth the hassle. I'll just sit back and wait and stop trying to guess.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:19 PM   #96
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

It is not like you do not have two of the premier backs in the country running the ball. If I was Nutt, I would cut all three of them. If Malzahn did not like that, he could go to.

This is all anyone is talking about in LR. The general opinion seems to favor Nutt in this one. It is just a really odd situation.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:49 PM   #97
MJ4H
Coordinator

From a fairly prominent media person in this area (Mike Irwin if you are in the area):

"I have confirned that Mitch Mustain will report to practice at 6 pm when the Razorbacks resume their work for the Capital One Bowl. It does not appear that he will ask to transfer."

Old 12-13-2006, 06:19 PM   #98
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well it appears its over. Here's what just went down:

1. Houston Nutt had a meeting at the start of practice tonight. Basically said: I want people here that want to be Razorbacks. If you don't want to be a Razorback, there's the door.

2. At this point, Damian Williams hit the door. He wants to be at a place where he can make 60 catches a season. This is obviously not Arkansas. He has been granted a release.

3. Mustain and Cleveland are staying as of now. This is not expected to change.

4. At some point, Mustain apologized to Houston Nutt for some comments in a book about this whole recruiting fiasco that has recently come out.

Things are looking WAY up. Disappointed to lose Damian Williams, but we can survive.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #99
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Tough loss, MJ, but it could have been way worse.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #100
MJ4H
Coordinator

Hey this is a win at this point. I'll take this and a slap on the ass all day long.