Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #51
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

They are just dumping their clearance stuff. Outside of maybe one of their tablets/phones going on sale, there isn't much to the sale.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #52
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Its actually a really cool concept.

Amazon uses this as a scaleable test for infastructure and staffing/supply chain modeling for Christmas Holiday. They attempt, 6 months out, to create a short term demand equal to the 7 week continuous holiday demand. This serves as a stress test for any new tech implemented in the last year.

My company is doing some backbone projects for Amazon and we heard this in a site meeting recently. I thought it was a brilliant strategy.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #53
PilotMan
Head Coach

Picked up a 2nd Echo dot for the house, but that's it. Ends up being less than $30 after the $10 credit (for future purchase) is figured in.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:58 AM   #54
bob
College Starter

So Amazon had an interesting start to Prime Day. When the deals went live at 9PM, tons of items that shouldn't have been listed as a Prime Day deal were marked that way and had some crazy discounts on them due to errors - 25%, 20%, and 20% off applied to each item (so basically 65% off). I read about it this morning, but Legos, video games, board games, etc at least. Not sure if it affected the entire site. But people jumped on and bought a ton of things (here's an example posted online)

http://i.imgur.com/CcbyUxc.jpg
bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #55
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

PS4 slim for 229, Sony must be getting desperate
Old 07-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #56
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
So Amazon had an interesting start to Prime Day. When the deals went live at 9PM, tons of items that shouldn't have been listed as a Prime Day deal were marked that way and had some crazy discounts on them due to errors - 25%, 20%, and 20% off applied to each item (so basically 65% off). I read about it this morning, but Legos, video games, board games, etc at least. Not sure if it affected the entire site. But people jumped on and bought a ton of things (here's an example posted online)

http://i.imgur.com/CcbyUxc.jpg

So it sounds like they shipped these orders. Quite the deal for those that got them.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #57
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
So it sounds like they shipped these orders. Quite the deal for those that got them.

I'm one of those who jumped at this "glitch", buying 5 board games for less than $20 in all. None of these are shipped yet, and I'm expecting my orders to be canceled before they are.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #58
muns
Pro Starter

I actually picked up a cable modem and a gaming router that should really improve my internet speeds. Should have cost me 350 and I picked them up for 209. I can't complain about that, especially since getting rid of the Comcast cable modem will save me 120 a year itself.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #59
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
I'm one of those who jumped at this "glitch", buying 5 board games for less than $20 in all. None of these are shipped yet, and I'm expecting my orders to be canceled before they are.

According to the posts I've seen on Reddit, the orders that have shipped so far were all from people that paid for 1 day shipping.

The only deal I've done so far is getting a $5 credit for buying a $25 gift card. Might as well take the free $5 since I buy so much from Amazon anyway.

Last edited by bob : 07-11-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #60
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I love sites like slickdeals and utilize them quite a bit when making major purchases like appliances and even smaller stuff like diapers. Some of the people though seem to take "deal" to the extreme and I'm not personally sure if they are any worse than the people who pay full retail everywhere. What in the world is that guy going to do with $800+ worth of legos? Sure he "only" paid $300 but sometimes a deal is not really a deal.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #61
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I love sites like slickdeals and utilize them quite a bit when making major purchases like appliances and even smaller stuff like diapers. Some of the people though seem to take "deal" to the extreme and I'm not personally sure if they are any worse than the people who pay full retail everywhere. What in the world is that guy going to do with $800+ worth of legos? Sure he "only" paid $300 but sometimes a deal is not really a deal.

These were people buying the $150+ sets. So 1) collectors who saved a bunch on what they were gonna buy anyway or 2) resellers that are gonna make a ton.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #62
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

FBA.....PROFIT
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #63
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
These were people buying the $150+ sets. So 1) collectors who saved a bunch on what they were gonna buy anyway or 2) resellers that are gonna make a ton.

LEGO sets, especially those selling for $150+, hold their value very well, even increase in value as they "retire". It's pretty difficult getting a used set for a discount, especially if it's a more popular IP (Star Wars, Marvel, etc). Either way, as a builder or as an investor, this guy made a killing.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 07-11-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:53 AM   #64
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
LEGO sets, especially those selling for $150+, hold their value very well, even increase in value as they "retire". It's pretty difficult getting a used set for a discount, especially if it's a more popular IP (Star Wars, Marvel, etc). Either way, as a builder or as an investor, this guy made a killing.

This is crazy to me. Thanks for explaining this. My GF is a kindergarten teacher and each year we try to find LEGO's to replace the ones that kids eat, and lose and all that fun stuff. Its virtually impossible to find ones that are cheaper because the secondary market is just like paying full retail for them. Now I know why that is.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #65
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:

So far 4 of my 5 games have been shipped. The last one has an expected Saturday delivery date. Reports on reddit are showing games arrived on their doorstep.

So it seems Amazon is honoring those orders. With a $1B in sales in one day, this glitch didn't hurt them at all.