Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #51
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
Watching Embiid vs Dwight has been a treat so far

It probably hasn't been too much of a treat for Dwight so far. If you told someone who had never seen the NBA that one of the players was an eight-time All-Star and the other was a rookie playing in his 2nd game, they'd certainly guess incorrectly.

Plus-minus in an individual game tends to be noisy enough that I don't pay it much attention unless it's something extremely jarring like Embiid being +6 in seven minutes (next closest was -1) when his team is losing by 14 points at halftime.

I don't think he'll play enough minutes this year to be an All-Star, but he should be a lock for first team all-media with these kind of quotes from his SI profile:

Quote:
You know how I learned to shoot? I watched white people. Just regular white people. They really put their elbow in and finish up top. You can find videos of them online.

Last edited by nol : 10-29-2016 at 01:06 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #52
wustin
College Prospect

he's not wrong

wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #53
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Embiid is already one of my favorite players in the NBA lol.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #54
wustin
College Prospect

Pop is resting Ginobili and Parker for today's game against the Pelicans. Really excited to see how AD fairs up against Aldridge, Pau, and Dedmon.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #55
nol
Banned

Kawhi just had two of the best passes I've ever seen from him on back-to-back possessions for assists. If he continues at this rate of improvement for the next couple years, I could see him going down as better than Kobe when it comes to wing players.

AD is getting double-teamed when he doesn't have the ball (leaving a guy on the other side of the floor wide open), so his inevitable lack of a 40+ point game isn't going to have too much to do with any individual Spurs player's defense on him.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:05 PM   #56
Groundhog
Coordinator

Westbrook going to be averaging a triple double 3 games into the season.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #57
nol
Banned

First trade of the season! Philadelphia sends Jerami Grant to OKC for Ilyasova and a future pick. Grant is a young, cheap version of Andre Roberson, who's coming up on restricted free agency after the Thunder signed Adams and Oladipo to pretty big extensions.

I'm guessing the pick OKC is giving up would be in the first round considering how much of a salary dump this is for them.

Ray Allen officially retired today so you no longer have to hear about whether he's going to make a comeback for some contending team.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #58
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
First trade of the season! Philadelphia sends Jerami Grant to OKC for Ilyasova and a future pick. Grant is a young, cheap version of Andre Roberson, who's coming up on restricted free agency after the Thunder signed Adams and Oladipo to pretty big extensions.

I'm guessing the pick OKC is giving up would be in the first round considering how much of a salary dump this is for them.

Ray Allen officially retired today so you no longer have to hear about whether he's going to make a comeback for some contending team.

Saves OKC about 6 million I guess but Grant can't shoot to save his life. Probably a protected pick that turns into a 2nd rounder in 2 years.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #59
wustin
College Prospect

It won't be a first round pick. It'll most likely end up being two 2nd round picks because I bet the condition is something like 1-25 protected.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #60
nol
Banned

Shows the value of PR. The Sixers just took on a salary dump to get a draft pick or two in the distant future (and traded a player who was/is better than KJ McDaniels to do it) and that's not considered an outrageous 'tanking' move.

The Magic are certainly in the running to be the worst team in the league with three double-digit losses to start the year and a 14-point halftime deficit to the 76ers. Embiid's on pace for 20 points, 12 boards, and 6 blocks in 22 minutes.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #61
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Shows the value of PR. The Sixers just took on a salary dump to get a draft pick or two in the distant future (and traded a player who was/is better than KJ McDaniels to do it) and that's not considered an outrageous 'tanking' move.

The Magic are certainly in the running to be the worst team in the league with three double-digit losses to start the year and a 14-point halftime deficit to the 76ers. Embiid's on pace for 20 points, 12 boards, and 6 blocks in 22 minutes.

When the hell did they get Gerald Henderson? I'm not sure if Gordon can play the 3 so they may have to trade him soon.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #62
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
It won't be a first round pick. It'll most likely end up being two 2nd round picks because I bet the condition is something like 1-25 protected.
Top 20 protected starting in 2020, turns into 2022 & 2023 2nd rounders eventually. (Thunder owe a lottery protected 2018 to Utah for Enes Kanter). #1 reason why we'll never have lottery reform - teams keep making trades for assets a decade out!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #63
nol
Banned

The Jazz gave the Spurs as many home regular season losses as they had all last season. Utah's looked really good so far for having no Hayward and Favors not at full strength, with both losses coming down the stretch on the road.

I certainly don't envy Brett Brown for having 4 rotation players injured and his best player available for half the game at most, but it's been a few years now that the Sixers' offense enters into an entirely new category of awfulness at the end of close games.

The Warriors are having yet another game where none of their stars are making threes, the defense isn't on the same page, and yet they're on the way to handling the Blazers at Portland.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #64
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Nets are a huge surprise. They aren't good, but they surely don't look like the worst team in the league.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #65
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
The Warriors are having yet another game where none of their stars are making threes, the defense isn't on the same page, and yet they're on the way to handling the Blazers at Portland.
Golden State played amazing defense though? 14 steals, forced 18 turnovers, held Portland to 20 points in the 3rd quarter. Portland's score is inflated because they had a rookie drop five 3-pointers in 8 minutes in the fourth quarter against GSW's reserves.

Last edited by wustin : 11-02-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:07 AM   #66
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Regardless of if I win my fantasy league or not, having James Harden is an absolute great thing to watch.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #67
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Old 11-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #68
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Probably not gonna pull out a W with Horford & Crowder out, but at least it'll be fun to watch Jaylen try to D up LeBron for 36 minutes (and I guess Smart? I can't imagine James Young or Gerald Green on LeBron would work out well. Even Jordan Mickey's probably a better option than those two.). Hopefully it goes better than his crunch time scoring audition @ Chicago last week!

PS don't take that sarcasm the wrong way - I'm loving him so far. Don't know if the outside shot will ever come around, but everything from the work ethic to his ability to attack both hips against a recovering defender, to his surprising court vision and offensive moves, and most importantly the rate at which he gets to the line has been great so far. Long way to go, but light years ahead of where most analysts thought he'd be coming into the draft. (Though not far off of what they thought heading into his freshman year - add Cuonzo Martin to the list of coaches like Rick Barnes, Sean Miller (offensively), and Johnny Jones who appear to have no idea how to utilize a star player. I strongly suspect Lorenzo Romar is in this category too, and Fultz's draft stock will suffer at times due to it.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #69
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

4 minutes in and OKC-GS already seems like a conference finals game. Kerr hasn't run that fast in 10 years.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:02 PM   #70
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Klay Thompson in full let the Lakers cover mode tonight. Curry in as well.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-04-2016 at 11:29 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:00 AM   #71
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Steph Curry's streak of 157 games with a made 3 ends against the Lakers.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #72
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That Nance Jr dunk doe

Larry Nance Jr.’s head-caressing dunk on David West becomes instant Internet classic - The Washington Post
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #73
wustin
College Prospect

They sucked last season at the Lakers too. Can't make any wide open 3s and bad defense. No way there won't be a trade some time during the season to bring in a rim protector now.

Last edited by wustin : 11-05-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #74
wustin
College Prospect

sixers...
Old 11-06-2016, 01:21 AM   #75
wustin
College Prospect

Streamable - simple video sharing
Old 11-08-2016, 02:34 AM   #76
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Steph Curry's streak of 157 games with a made 3 ends against the Lakers.

And now he (finally) made 13 to have that record all to himself
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #77
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Regardless of if I win my fantasy league or not, having James Harden is an absolute great thing to watch.

pretty cool little graphic i saw:

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 11-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #78
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Anybody want Bradley Beal?

Meanwhile, Otto Porter is playing more and more like a 3rd overall pick these days. Putting up a solid 14 and 7 at SF this year, and tonight having a career night with 30 (12-17 shooting) and 11 along with 4 assists, 3 blocks, and 2 steals.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-09-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #79
wustin
College Prospect

not on that contract
Old 11-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #80
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

In case anyone missed it, the Clippers are good.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:36 AM   #81
wustin
College Prospect

If Harrison Barnes keeps up with this level of play even when Dirk comes back anyone think coaches will vote him into the all-star team?

Last edited by wustin : 11-10-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:19 AM   #82
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
If Harrison Barnes keeps up with this level of play even when Dirk comes back anyone think coaches will vote him into the all-star team?

I was just about to post about him. My main fantasy group had nicknamed him Hot Garbage after preseason, and then suddenly he begins the year averaging 22+ ppg on nearly .500% shooting.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #83
wustin
College Prospect

He leads all players in the NBA in points per isolation play I'm pretty sure. Though that's mostly because Dallas can't get any other consistent scorers.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #84
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
He leads all players in the NBA in points per isolation play I'm pretty sure. Though that's mostly because Dallas can't get any other consistent scorers.

He is also played pretty straight up so far. Once that changes, it´ll be interesting how he adjusts (weird stat alert: For a guy averaging 22+ ppg, having 7 Assists and 8 TOs in 8 games is pretty weird)

One also shouldn´t forget that he´d need to beat out quite a few excellent players and the Mavs don´t look like they will be winning much

Harden was really impressive last night. Not saying i am a fan, but i´m not exactly opposed to watching him play anymore. Say what you will, but D'Antoni seem to have a way to get players to "buy in". While he handles the ball even more, he does not stop the offense like he used to last 2 seasons.

DeRozan also is a strange case. 34 a game without the 3 ball in his arsenal is pretty ridiculous.

Last edited by whomario : 11-10-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #85
wustin
College Prospect

Well again, Dallas can't get any other consistent scorers that's why Barnes can't rack up any assists. If you look at Wes Matthews game log you'll see why. Barnes is also playing the stretch 4 position.

Whenever Dallas runs a iso play for Barnes on one side, teams try to double him. I watched the Lakers do it and watched GSW do it. That's how awful this Dallas team is. It's so bad that Harrison Barnes is worth double teaming.

Last edited by wustin : 11-10-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #86
wustin
College Prospect

Embiid's nickname should be The Process.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #87
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

76ers get their 2nd win of the season over Washington 109-102. Embiid didn't play and Philly still lead most of the game topping out at a 24 point lead in the 2nd quarter.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:03 AM   #88
wustin
College Prospect

Marc Gasol can shoot 3s now apparently.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:14 AM   #89
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Marc Gasol can shoot 3s now apparently.

Yup. He has a history of killing the Clips, and he did it again tonight.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:18 AM   #90
whomario
Pro Starter

Porzingis with 35 last night. That turnaround out of a variety of moves is just unfair to others and he´s taking guys 4,5 inches smaller off the dribble. What a talent. Will be interesting how he adjusts when teams will eventually give him the Dirk-treatment of putting a smaller guy on him and jumping him on the first move.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #91
Atocep
Coordinator

I was very critical of the Jaylen Brown pick, but after seeing him in the preseason and so far during the regular season I think he could develop into another Corey Maggette.

Long term I'd still rather have Jamal Murray or Bender, but Brown's ability to get to the free throw line will make him a much safer pick than I expected him to be.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #92
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I was very critical of the Jaylen Brown pick, but after seeing him in the preseason and so far during the regular season I think he could develop into another Corey Maggette.

Long term I'd still rather have Jamal Murray or Bender, but Brown's ability to get to the free throw line will make him a much safer pick than I expected him to be.

For what it's worth I was at the Bulls-Celtics game in Chicago and he really stood out athletically. It was late in the 1st and my brother even turned to me and said "who the hell is that?". It's pretty rare to see someone stand out that much in terms of athleticism.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #93
wustin
College Prospect

Portland seems awful. The worst part about them is that they're locked in with that roster the next few years. I've been talking with some Portland fans but they keep defending their offseason and that payroll.

Last edited by wustin : 11-19-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #94
bhlloy
Coordinator

You mean paying McCollum, Crabbe and Evan Turner nearly 60 million a year isn't a good strategy?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #95
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
You mean paying McCollum, Crabbe and Evan Turner nearly 60 million a year isn't a good strategy?

Technically right now McCollum is still on his rookie contract. Look at their payroll for next year and look at the outlook of the team currently and the other improving teams in the western conference. They're digging themselves in a hole.

I'll give Crabbe a pass because he's good. Evan Turner and Meyers Leonard are not. Those two alone are like 25% of the cap.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #96
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

McCollum is not a mistake or worthy of being included on that shit list. He's a good player.

The rest...hrm...

Maybe the worst thing for Portland was Clips getting hurt last year and Portland thus moving on to the second round. If the Clips stayed healthy and embarrassed Portland in the first round, maybe the Blazers would have done more drastic things this offseason than double-downing on the current roster and making tweaks.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #97
wustin
College Prospect

They don't have any cap space to pursue anyone either. I don't think they'll make any moves this season but if they miss the playoffs they're going to have to ship some of those contracts.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #98
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cavs are 16-22 on 3s at the half and are up 81-60 on Portland. Kevin Love with 34 points in the first quarter.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #99
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

How has nobody on the Orlando roster shaved Elfrid Payton's head yet?
Old 11-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #100
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like first road loss of the year for the Clippers. Meanwhile, San Antonio is still undefeated and has the best road record in the league ... while only being tied for 12th at home. Some strange things going on.

Haven't seen anything to this point to convince me that we aren't headed for Cavs-Warriors, part II, in several months time.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote