Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #51
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Not sure of the exact demographic breakdown of Sweden, but it seems likely that there are very, very few folks that live there with African heritage. Not that this excuses racist behavior, but it's easier to fear/disparage the "other" when you almost never encounter them.

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #52
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Not sure of the exact demographic breakdown of Sweden, but it seems likely that there are very, very few folks that live there with African heritage. Not that this excuses racist behavior, but it's easier to fear/disparage the "other" when you almost never encounter them.

Indeed. I remember a friend who went to visit Norwegian relatives in the '80s reporting back on all the weird 'little Sambo'/pinckaninny type advertising & images he saw at the time. Most of it wasn't necessarily directly demeaning, so much as staggeringly tone deaf, but it's certainly contradictory to the picture of the Scandinavian Paradise we are often presented in America.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #53
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
Agree entirely. Here in Japan, it's uncommon for Japanese people to meet any non-Japanese person in their everyday life, much less an African American like myself. Therefore, ignorance about other races can crop up every now and then - stuff that would be shocking in the U.S., for example TV comedians putting on blackface in order to imitate a famous black person. A lot of the time, people here don't know what's right and wrong simply because they don't know anybody of another race and they don't see how it bothers other races.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #54
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
You're just not understanding the context of it.
or, as RainMaker can attest, no one was actually offended
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #55
Autumn
Head Coach

Whether or not this guy is really racist, or just one of those guys who thinks they're "edgy" by using language and jokes like this, who knows. But in a world where people really do want to kill all Jews, or really do use racial slurs intentionally, I understand the outrage at people doing it for laughs. Maybe this guy, and millions of his followers, are just being "funny," but at some point that helps out the real racists by creating a culture where it's normalized, and that truly harms the groups that are being disparaged, ostracized, and attacked. My children are not Jewish or black, but if they were I sure wouldn't want them growing up in a culture where you either laugh along with jokes like these, or you're on the outside. The answer isn't censorship but it certainly can include public pressure, ads being pulled, etc. Art should be able to shock us, but that doesn't mean we can't respond to the shock.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:57 PM   #56
Drake
assmaster

I keep thinking that I'm eventually going to look this guy up and figure out who he is/why he's so famous...but I never get around to it. He's sort of in that category of Biebers and Kardashians -- people who I know are famous, but I'm not sure why.

(I'm assuming that I've probably heard a Bieber song at some point in my life, but I couldn't tell you which one. Part of that is probably just being old as fuck.)
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #57
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I keep thinking that I'm eventually going to look this guy up and figure out who he is/why he's so famous...but I never get around to it. He's sort of in that category of Biebers and Kardashians -- people who I know are famous, but I'm not sure why.

Let me just say that when you do find out where his fame comes from you aren't going to feel any younger.

Spoiler
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #58
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/...tial-to-gaming
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #59
Atocep
Coordinator

He released a very serious and heartfelt apology video so we can all forget about this until he does it again.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #60
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He released a very serious and heartfelt apology video so we can all forget about this until he does it again.

He didn't even spend 90% of it blaming the media this time!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #61
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Let me just say that when you do find out where his fame comes from you aren't going to feel any younger.

Spoiler

Good lord. Could I do this with text sims and old PC adventures games? Anybody want to pay to watch me stumble through the Gabriel Knight Series?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #62
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Anybody want to pay to watch me stumble through the Gabriel Knight Series?

I want to say that who in their right mind would want to watch someone play Gabriel Knight. But there's probably people who would.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #63
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

FWIW, about 8.5% of Sweden's population is non-European, 14% of the population is foreign born.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #64
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I want to say that who in their right mind would want to watch someone play Gabriel Knight. But there's probably people who would.

About 2K-5K, if previous playthroughs represent the full audience. Longform Let's Plays for FM17 seem to top out at around 10,000 for the in-depth career replays (going by arbitrary play counts 50 or 60 episodes in).
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:10 AM   #65
Bobble
College Prospect

I don't have time to PLAY let alone WATCH someone play. Witness a Steam backlog of {embarrassing number} games I haven't even fired up! (Don't tell my wife!)
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #66
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Good lord. Could I do this with text sims and old PC adventures games? Anybody want to pay to watch me stumble through the Gabriel Knight Series?

I don't know, but a friend and I were reminiscing about the sound effects in the Pool of Radiance PC game. Hit up YouTube and found a guy posting a bunch of playthrough videos that hit me right in the nostalgia. So I guess the answer is, yes.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #67
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The only times I've watched YouTube videos of people playing video games is for the occasional tip or walkthrough for those times I'm stumped. It's pretty limited.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote