Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #51
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I am also looking at either Nook or Kindle 2. One big draw for me on the Kindle 2is the ability to listen to audiobooks and viewing wikipedia. Also, is it true that no longer can you easily view word docs and pdfs on the kindle without paying.10 cents a page? That would suck for make since that was another big draw to a ereader. It also seems to be kind of tick or tack on the part of the amazon kindle folks.

Yes it is. You can view PDFs just by sending it to the kindle, or you can convert them to kindle format for free (that is, it's free if you connect the kindle to the computer to do it, it's 15 cents if you do it wirelessly).

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #52
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Purely out of geek interest - is there a developer SDK for the Nook? (I'm already signed up waiting to play around with the Kindle one ... what can I say I'm a geek ).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #53
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Yes it is. You can view PDFs just by sending it to the kindle, or you can convert them to kindle format for free (that is, it's free if you connect the kindle to the computer to do it, it's 15 cents if you do it wirelessly).

What he said. You can do it free by sending it to a special email address, then going to a website to grab it and transferring it over the computer with the included cable. It's simple, I actually did it for the first time the other day.

Or you can pay 15 cents for the delivery over the 3G wireless.

I love my Kindle 2.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #54
cougarfreak
College Starter

I have a kindle 2, and absolutely love it. It does what's it designed to do very, very well. There is an update coming at the end of the month that will allow for collections folders on the home screen that will make it even better.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 05-26-2010 at 07:57 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #55
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Purely out of geek interest - is there a developer SDK for the Nook? (I'm already signed up waiting to play around with the Kindle one ... what can I say I'm a geek ).

I don't know what an SDK is so I'm not sure.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #56
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Pretty sure it's software that is used to create third-party programs.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #57
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

software development kit

/tk
Old 05-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #58
rowech
Pro Starter

I know the Nook was looking at doing this using Android. I'm not sure what they finally decided.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #59
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
What he said. You can do it free by sending it to a special email address, then going to a website to grab it and transferring it over the computer with the included cable. It's simple, I actually did it for the first time the other day.

Or you can pay 15 cents for the delivery over the 3G wireless.

I love my Kindle 2.

/tk

Thanks I am sold. I f get one of the new jobs I have applied for and a nice 40-50% pay increase I am going to buy one of these as a gift to myself
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #60
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Oh, there's also a program called calibre that I've heard does a better job of converting PDFs if the kindle's own conversion doesn't look great -- that's free too, but probably not wireless. Although, with lurker's, she doesn't go to a web site to grab the files -- it just gets emailed back to her in the converted format.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #61
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh, there's also a program called calibre that I've heard does a better job of converting PDFs if the kindle's own conversion doesn't look great -- that's free too, but probably not wireless. Although, with lurker's, she doesn't go to a web site to grab the files -- it just gets emailed back to her in the converted format.

That might be it (emailing). I remember it was dead simple and I'd been on amazon's website anyway so I couldn't remember if I went there and grabbed it or if it came in through email.

All in all, between the Nook and the Kindle 2, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've never played with the Nook but I adore my K2. I bought it as a splurge to myself last year but have never regretted it. Each seems to have its advantages and disadvantages. Happy shopping!
Old 05-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #62
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
The new Kindle also supports .mobi, so for example I was able to copy the entire Baen free library to it.

!!! awesome, didn't realize this until now.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #63
moriarty
College Starter

Bloomberg reports a new slimmer Kindle in August http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/05/29/...e-this-august/

But color kindle a "long way off": http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100525/..._amazon_kindle

Last edited by moriarty : 05-29-2010 at 10:56 AM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #64
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
Bloomberg reports a new slimmer Kindle in August http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/05/29/...e-this-august/

But color kindle a "long way off": http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100525/..._amazon_kindle

Thanks for that info. Based on it I am going to hold off the Kindle until this version comes out in August.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #65
sabotai
General Manager

Anyone have or have seen the Kindle DX? I was thinking of getting that mostly for programming books. I have the Sony PRS-700, which is itself fine. The light is nice but drains the battery uberfast. The touchscreen also makes it have a reflection so I need to use the light...so I need to keep it plugged in. I also don't like its relatively small selection compared to Amazon and B&N and that their software sucks. (I've had to use calibre more than once due to Sony's software crashing).

I tried one programming book on the PRS-700, but some of the text (the code) was too small to read and wouldn't change size. Or are Kindle books formatted differently so that all text is changed in size? If so, the regular one would be fine.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #66
rowech
Pro Starter

Big time price reduction on the Nook. You can now get a WIFI only version for $150 or a 3g+WIFI version for $200.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #67
Kodos
Resident Alien

Kindle is down to $189. Three weeks after I bought one for my wife...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #68
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

I feel your pain. I wish I had waited a bit longer to buy. Regardless I've enjoyed my purchase.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #69
sabotai
General Manager

Bah, the DX stays at $489.

Seriously, at that price, I'd just rather buy an iPad and deal with reading off an LCD.

EDIT: Actually, I just read about the iBooks app for the iPad and it sounds pretty horrible, so I guess I'll scratch that off the list too.

Last edited by sabotai : 06-23-2010 at 03:22 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #70
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:

If it hasn't been 30 days, call customer support. They'll refund the difference.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #71
Kodos
Resident Alien

Really? From reading their site, it sounded like they don't give you the lower price if you ordered recently.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #72
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Really? From reading their site, it sounded like they don't give you the lower price if you ordered recently.

Yes, seriously call Kindle customer support. They will. You are within the 30 day window, so you could return it and rebuy. So they will just refund the difference. Their customer support is first rate.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #73
Kodos
Resident Alien

Cool. Will give it a try.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #74
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Cool. Will give it a try.

Let me know if it works. I belong to a kindle board, and there were several people who said they had done exactly that. A few had even bought it at Target, and they were getting the difference as well, from Target.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #75
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

The Nook is awesome
Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #76
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I've been so close to pulling the trigger on a Kindle/nook so many times and the new Kindle price makes it even harder.

But the inner bibliophile in me weeps anytime I read about an independent bookstore closing down. gahhhhh
Old 06-25-2010, 06:05 AM   #77
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
The Nook is awesome

Agreed. Unfortunately, I think Kindle got a jump start and Amazon's name has become bigger than Barnes and Noble.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #78
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Big time price reduction on the Nook. You can now get a WIFI only version for $150 or a 3g+WIFI version for $200.

Does it have a browser yet?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #79
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Does it have a browser yet?

Yes.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #80
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Nice. The wifi only version for $150 could be good, then.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #81
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Agreed. Unfortunately, I think Kindle got a jump start and Amazon's name has become bigger than Barnes and Noble.

The shitfest that was the Nook on release doesn't help their cause. They may have been since fixed, but it still taints my view somewhat. Where on the other hand the Kindle seems to be less of a risk.

Probably totally inaccurate at this point, but that's my perception. In any case, I'm going to wait until next gen too see what strides they make. I think there will be a huge step forward, between competition and experience.

Last edited by jeff061 : 06-25-2010 at 08:56 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #82
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
The shitfest that was the Nook on release doesn't help their cause. They may have been since fixed, but it still taints my view somewhat. Where on the other hand the Kindle seems to be less of a risk.

Probably totally inaccurate at this point, but that's my perception. In any case, I'm going to wait until next gen too see what strides they make. I think there will be a huge step forward, between competition and experience.

I understand that somewhat but the problems the Nook had were solved in four or five weeks with the first update. There hasn't been a problem since. The Nook is just as stable as any of them and has many more features.

I guess I can be classified as somewhat of a fan boy but when I put the Kindle of my friend and my Nook side-by-side and show and use both, it becomes clear the Nook is the better option.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #83
SackAttack
Head Coach

Got my Nook a few weeks ago. It is phenomenal. That is all.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #84
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Let me know if it works. I belong to a kindle board, and there were several people who said they had done exactly that. A few had even bought it at Target, and they were getting the difference as well, from Target.

It works. I just called Amazon and got $70 back, no arguments or anything. Just mentioned that I saw the price had dropped. Here's the number (had to do a little digging to find it, so thought I'd save you the effort):

Within the United States (toll free): 1-866-321-8851

Last edited by Kodos : 06-28-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #85
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I understand that somewhat but the problems the Nook had were solved in four or five weeks with the first update. There hasn't been a problem since. The Nook is just as stable as any of them and has many more features.

I guess I can be classified as somewhat of a fan boy but when I put the Kindle of my friend and my Nook side-by-side and show and use both, it becomes clear the Nook is the better option.

My biggest thing is it seems there are alot more kindle books on Amazon then Barnes and Noble despite what B&N says are available.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #86
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
My biggest thing is it seems there are alot more kindle books on Amazon then Barnes and Noble despite what B&N says are available.

It's about the same amount...Amazon definitely has a leg up but do you believe BandN won't get those books? Any book being published right now is on both and always will be. BandN's job is all about going back to stuff from the last 10 years to catch up...it'll easily happen.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #87
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Waiting for someone to bundle electric and physical copies together, without paying more. Is that in place?

Don't think I'd be ok with nothing but an electronic copy. In any case I am waiting until the next gen devices come out. With all this competition and experience they should killer.

Last edited by jeff061 : 06-28-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #88
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Waiting for someone to bundle electric and physical copies together, without paying more. Is that in place?

Don't think I'd be ok with nothing but an electronic copy. In any case I am waiting until the next gen devices come out. With all this competition and experience they should killer.

Not that I'm aware and I don't see the point in doing that.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #89
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Meh. Outside of the shutting down of bookstores the only thing holding me back is the fact that I love having the physical copy of the book. I kind of agree with Jeff here.

I know I am in the minority, though. Ultimately, I'd like to have a library in my house some day. Also, I tend to loan out a lot of books to co-workers and family. I love sharing a good book.

But yea, I don't see what Jeff said ever happening. It just doesn't seem logical.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #90
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I know I am in the minority, though. Ultimately, I'd like to have a library in my house some day. Also, I tend to loan out a lot of books to co-workers and family. I love sharing a good book.

FWIW - if you and your co-workers/family both have a Nook you can do this.

(don't ask me for a ton of specifics, I don't have one, I've just read about it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #91
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not that I'm aware and I don't see the point in doing that.

Between DRM and storing all my information in the cloud? Christ, I'm a technology guy and I'm not about to trust that. That and I know that feature would sway me to one device, while not costing them a lot of money. They could even charge another buck or 2.

Last edited by jeff061 : 06-28-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #93
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
FWIW - if you and your co-workers/family both have a Nook you can do this.

(don't ask me for a ton of specifics, I don't have one, I've just read about it)

It's not for every book though and there is a time limit to the duration of the lend.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #94
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Is there any legit, neutral comparison of the devices post Nook improvements?

It's from Barnes and Noble's site but it's very fair...

NOOK and NOOK Wi-Fi vs. Kindle eReader comparison - Barnes*&*Noble
Old 06-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #96
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I guess I'm looking to see if there is any independent source that would confirm that the Nook solved the issues with touchscreen lag etc.

Go to a Barnes and Noble store and try for yourself. They have floor models.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #97
Galaril
Pro Starter

I see amazon now is showing the new Kindle DX that is suppose to be slimmer and faster on preorder for $379. I guess at that price and best on what folks here have been saying but the Nook I am going to start to check one of them out. I don't see where they are coming up with that price for what I can tell slightly better model. I mean the Kindle model now out is 189 not sure I see myself jumping into a kindle for that price.($379)
Amazon.com: Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 9.7" Display, Graphite, 3G Works…

edit: I see this was for the new DX model not the standard size kindle which was also rumored to be coming out with a new model in August.

Last edited by Galaril : 07-05-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #98
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I guess I'm looking to see if there is any independent source that would confirm that the Nook solved the issues with touchscreen lag etc.

This review from CNET which was just 10 days back makes it sound like it still is not as fast as the Kindle.

Barnes & Noble Nook (3G/Wi-Fi) E-Book reader reviews - CNET Reviews
Old 07-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #99
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

In my opinion, between the ipad and the relatively new competition between the Nook and Kindle, the next gen is going to be incredible. This will be the first development cycle with so much pressure and experience.

Have a real hard time justifying spending money on any current one, especially the DX. Will most likely buy one or the other for my Mom for Christmas and possibly myself as well.

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-06-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #100
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
This review from CNET which was just 10 days back makes it sound like it still is not as fast as the Kindle.

Barnes & Noble Nook (3G/Wi-Fi) E-Book reader reviews - CNET Reviews

Where?

That said, one of the noticeable drawbacks of the device is that it just can't measure up to the iPhone or iPod Touch (particularly the most recent generation) in terms of speed and performance. Yes, the touch screen is more responsive than the laggy e-ink screen, and yes, you can flip through your reading collection Cover Flow-style, but you're just not going to get that buttery smoothness you encounter with the iPhone. Combine that minor sluggishness with a cellular wireless connection (sometimes AT&T's 3G service is quite fast, but sometimes it's not, depending on the quality of the signal and your location) and there will be moments you'll wish the device was zippier.

True, the speed gripe is par for the course with e-ink-based e-book readers; all of them still stutter and flash when moving from page to page and generally have slow start-up times after a full shutdown (the Nook does, too). However, the firmware upgrades have managed to fix earlier gripes about sluggish load times when opening books and noticeably slower page turns (compared with the Kindle). Again, though we'd always like a little more zip, the Nook is generally peppier than it was when first launched.