Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #51
Anthony
Banned

1. i like the problems Claire is having - on the list of powers to have, the ability to just heal yourself doesn't do much. that's a defensive power. she said it best, "so i'm always a victim". she's obviously feeling helpless at this time since she doesn't have a more "offensive-based" type of power. it seems that Sylar found something even more interesting about her power, i'm sure it'll manifest itself in the future. this isn't the 1st time a hero has found out that their current abilities are just the tip of the icerberg (Parkman's dad revealed that Parkman's mind-reading abilities were nothing compared to what he would be able to do). i can see Claire becoming a villain if only to feel more empowered (hence her using a gun on Future Peter). curious to see what more her power can become.

2. i loved the line from Hiro when Ando suggested he go back in time..."we both know how badly that wound up", which to me was a nod to the internet fanboy's frustration over Hiro's horrible storyline last year in ancient Japan. still, that having been said, i don't understand why Hiro just doesn't rewind time everytime something goes wrong. they showed you him in his office rewinding/fast forwarding the clock a couple hours, why can't he just go back to a couple minutes before the Speedster stole his formula? obviously after the 2nd time he met up with her he wanted to track where the other half of the formula was, but the 1st time when she actually stole the paper he should've just rewinded time. i guess they don't want Hiro just altering events willy nilly for the duration of the show, perhaps that's why he went through that awful storyline last year, so that he's completely freaked out about another Adam type event happening.

3. if Ma Petrelli can see the future - why couldn't Present Day Peter do so also? Peter Petrelli is truly the most powerful person in this show, they need to do away with him. as much as i like Sylar, they need to do away with him also. you can't have these two titans walking around with 100 powers and being invincible while everyone else can bring flowers to life or fly. it's silly. Sylar, Peter and Hiro need to go, as much as i love the 3 of them. they're the 3 most powerful people in this show and that much power confined to so few people just makes everyone else unnecessary. i love the show still, but my wife and i agreed Peter needs to go.

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #52
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Uh... what the Hell is the point about labeling it no spoilers then?

You do realize people are going to come in here who have it on DVR and throw a shitfit because it said no spoilers in the title but people are discussing the inner guts of the episodes, right?

Those people are idiots.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #53
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
they're the 3 most powerful people in this show and that much power confined to so few people just makes everyone else unnecessary.

I think that's why they've "boxed" Peter in early this season and Sylar seems to be trapped and possibly under the sway of Ma Petrelli this season. Hiro seems to have began some "house rules" because of the experience with Adam (I also think the going back in time arc was important to introduce Adam and the beginnings of the Company).
Old 09-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #54
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Linderman is clearly Obi-wan like now. He is part of the force now. This comment is half a joke. I do not think it is just Petrelli's mind (as in he is losing it). When he first came back he was clearly into full 'God' mode, he saw him, he brought him back, and on. Then boom there is Linderman and Nathan right away says 'You brought me back didn't you?' in a disappointed voice. So, an Obi-wan or ghost type is my best guess right now, over just Nathan's mind.

As for Nikki/Tracy, how does one with no connections to anything all of the sudden have a job as an advisor to a Governor when she supposedly hasn't been around very long. Also, how does she have a new power that she never knew about? This leads my wife and I to this initial guess....this is NOT Nikki/Jessica but is the actual 'dead' sister who the Jessica personality was from in Nikki's head. Her twin. Linderman admitted to basically impacting Nikki's and DL's lives from fairly earlier on and being the one who actually set them up to get together. Linderman, who likes having people in governmental positions, perhaps had something to do with Tracy.....Hopefully thats is somewhat clear.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #55
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
I think that's why they've "boxed" Peter in early this season and Sylar seems to be trapped and possibly under the sway of Ma Petrelli this season. Hiro seems to have began some "house rules" because of the experience with Adam (I also think the going back in time arc was important to introduce Adam and the beginnings of the Company).

which is great, there's limitations, but they already did the limitations story arc on both Sylar and Peter. Peter had amnesia last season and was effectively taken out of the picture for 80% of the season. Sylar was abducted and had his powers stripped (which is now apparently only a temporary thing since he's right back on the path he was before and is now even more unstoppable with Claire's power). this is basically the same storyline for every Superman movie:

ultra unstoppable mega-powerful hero is presented with something that can wipe out all his powers and make him vulnerable (in superman's case, kryptonite). no matter which way you cut it, the whole plot behind every superman movie involves a villain getting a hold of kryponite to make superman "mortal".

if the Big 3 get so powerful that the only way, every season, is to 1. find a way to take away their powers, 2. ship them off to a location where they can't do any harm or 3. give them amnesia, well, that'll get old. its just better to eliminate them (as much as it'd suck to have that happen) so that you have all these lesser hero's/villains with average powers battling each other.

Last edited by Anthony : 09-23-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #56
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Linderman is clearly Obi-wan like now. He is part of the force now. This comment is half a joke. I do not think it is just Petrelli's mind (as in he is losing it). When he first came back he was clearly into full 'God' mode, he saw him, he brought him back, and on. Then boom there is Linderman and Nathan right away says 'You brought me back didn't you?' in a disappointed voice. So, an Obi-wan or ghost type is my best guess right now, over just Nathan's mind.

As for Nikki/Tracy, how does one with no connections to anything all of the sudden have a job as an advisor to a Governor when she supposedly hasn't been around very long. Also, how does she have a new power that she never knew about? This leads my wife and I to this initial guess....this is NOT Nikki/Jessica but is the actual 'dead' sister who the Jessica personality was from in Nikki's head. Her twin. Linderman admitted to basically impacting Nikki's and DL's lives from fairly earlier on and being the one who actually set them up to get together. Linderman, who likes having people in governmental positions, perhaps had something to do with Tracy.....Hopefully thats is somewhat clear.

That is actually an interesting guess about Tracy and might be it.. I've been puzzled all day trying to figure out who or what she was.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #57
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Reading HA's last post I have this question....

Does Sylar have all the powers back that he had before? I don't think so. I think he lost them and can't get them back for some reason. The only ones he ever really used was the telekinesis and his original power of being able to figure out how things work. No super hearing, no other noticeable powers besides those main ones. He certainly wasn't all-powerful against Claire who was able to stab him. I think Sylar has to build himself back up before he could match up with Peter again.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #58
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Does Sylar have all the powers back that he had before? I don't think so. I think he lost them and can't get them back for some reason. The only ones he ever really used was the telekinesis and his original power of being able to figure out how things work. No super hearing, no other noticeable powers besides those main ones. He certainly wasn't all-powerful against Claire who was able to stab him. I think Sylar has to build himself back up before he could match up with Peter again.

I assumed he used the telekinesis to make all of the windows and such close.. That was someone else's power he originally got from someon else right? I'd assume he still have the others too.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #59
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

he only has his own natural power (figuring out how things work to aquire their abilities). i assume telekinesis is either one of his other abilities or something he aquired in the time he escaped captivity (remember the girl who could make illusions who made him think he was on a deserted island?). he's back to square one.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #60
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I assumed he used the telekinesis to make all of the windows and such close.. That was someone else's power he originally got from someon else right? I'd assume he still have the others too.

Exactly, the telekinesis wasn't his but he has that. That has always been his go-to power. Yet we never saw him use any other powers until he used the healing and the 'turn things to gold' power, both new ones. Either the writers always forget to have him use other powers, or he lost them and hasn't been able to get them back. It might just be a hole in the story....

BTW Alan, have you ever read the online comics? I was for a while but lost track of them. Kept telling myself all summer I would check them out and never actually did until yesterday. I found out I was about 40 stories behind the 'current' ones. I have some catching up to do. These usually give you some nice info that is left out, or background on the minor characters. I suspect there is some stuff on the villians and others in there.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #61
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Exactly, the telekinesis wasn't his but he has that. That has always been his go-to power. Yet we never saw him use any other powers until he used the healing and the 'turn things to gold' power, both new ones. Either the writers always forget to have him use other powers, or he lost them and hasn't been able to get them back. It might just be a hole in the story....

BTW Alan, have you ever read the online comics? I was for a while but lost track of them. Kept telling myself all summer I would check them out and never actually did until yesterday. I found out I was about 40 stories behind the 'current' ones. I have some catching up to do. These usually give you some nice info that is left out, or background on the minor characters. I suspect there is some stuff on the villians and others in there.

Nah, I never really read the online comics. I always meant to, just always forgot to.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #62
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
if the Big 3 get so powerful that the only way, every season, is to 1. find a way to take away their powers, 2. ship them off to a location where they can't do any harm or 3. give them amnesia, well, that'll get old. its just better to eliminate them (as much as it'd suck to have that happen) so that you have all these lesser hero's/villains with average powers battling each other.

Of course the problem with that is ratings... Peter, Sylar, and Hiro have become, basically, fan favorites. I don't think Sylar will be killed off, simply because he's the big bad villain. Hiro is just too liked by the audience. Peter may, however, be terminated. Of course it depends on how many movie roles these actors get.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #63
Anthony
Banned

Wiki on Sylar does explain a lot, don't know how "official" it is. apparently he'll get all his old powers back, as he lost them to the Shanti Virus and found the cure thanks to Mohinder, the most useless character on this show outside of the Jessica/Nikki/Micah storyline.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #64
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I agree with your theory. I think the blood is still in his system and it brought him back to life.

That was my thought as well. As far as Linderman, I think that Nathan has lost it and that is just a projection of his mind and not related to any super powers.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #65
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Of course the problem with that is ratings... Peter, Sylar, and Hiro have become, basically, fan favorites. I don't think Sylar will be killed off, simply because he's the big bad villain. Hiro is just too liked by the audience. Peter may, however, be terminated. Of course it depends on how many movie roles these actors get.

they're the most popular cuz they're the most powerful.

did they not see the risk that was posed in making a hero like Peter, someone who gets the powers of everyone he comes across? a person who can't be stopped, can travel back and forth in time to alter events. which is cool, cuz if he ever gets too big they always have Micah, who can make Peter's cell phone stop working or Claire, who can keep coming back to life everytime Peter blows her up. lol

Last edited by Anthony : 09-23-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #66
MikeVic
Head Coach

Or Mohinder's combined power of stupidity and shirtless flirting with latino hotties.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #67
hoopsguy
General Manager

If we are looking for characters to kill off, I humbly submit Maya. She was terrible last season and no better to start this year. Somehow I think that Kristen Bell and Ali Larter can maintain the "hot chick" quota for the show without her.

My biggest challenge with last night is that there was so much to follow. I would expect that future episodes will focus in on 2-3 short/medium plot concepts, providing more focus than what we saw last night. Maybe yesterday was a necessary evil to kicking off a new season, but it felt to me like more of a problem with a bloated cast.

If they are going to introduce a bunch of new characters (like the villains)then I hope it leads to killing off some of the old ones. Only death yesterday was Needle-Nose Ned, right?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #68
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Exactly, the telekinesis wasn't his but he has that. That has always been his go-to power. Yet we never saw him use any other powers until he used the healing and the 'turn things to gold' power, both new ones.
The 'turn things to gold' was Ned Ryerson's - remember Sylar saying to Elle "Look what your father could do."

Q: In Ma Petrelli's new future dream, who were all the bad guys? There was Sylar, Parkman's dad, one of the guys that broke out from Level 5, but at least 1-2 I didn't recognize.

(I also love them bringing in Marlo from The Wire as a villain. Even if his power - he can turn your fears against you? - seems somewhat vague he was great on The Wire. I also noticed Bubbles (Andre Royo) listed on the credits, but didn't remember him from the episode. Was he one of the company men in Level 5 after the breakout or did I miss him?)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #69
MikeVic
Head Coach

Adam was a bad guy, and so was Ma Petrelli i think.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #70
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Adam was a bad guy, and so was Ma Petrelli i think.

Yeah both Adam and Ma Petrelli were there.. I want to say I think Nikki was there too (or whichever persona the Ali Larter character was at that point)

Old 09-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #71
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, bottom line is that I'm pretty sure everyone they showed were people we've met already.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #72
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
they're the most popular cuz they're the most powerful.

Not necessarily. They like the personalities. Hiro isn't really popular because of his time stop, but because of his unbridled joy at being a superhero. It's probably how most people would think if they got powers. Sylar is just a bad ass mofo. Peter... well, apparently at some other boards I post on, the ladies think he's a hottie.

Quote:
did they not see the risk that was posed in making a hero like Peter, someone who gets the powers of everyone he comes across? a person who can't be stopped, can travel back and forth in time to alter events. which is cool, cuz if he ever gets too big they always have Micah, who can make Peter's cell phone stop working or Claire, who can keep coming back to life everytime Peter blows her up. lol

I think Peter was created mostly to actually have a chance of stopping a supervillain like Sylar. In order to counter it, they have to make Peter too much of a goodie-goodie, so he messes things up by trying to have them be perfect (like going back and shooting Nathan).
Old 09-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #73
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
If we are looking for characters to kill off, I humbly submit Maya. She was terrible last season and no better to start this year. Somehow I think that Kristen Bell and Ali Larter can maintain the "hot chick" quota for the show without her.

I think if Maya doesn't die (and I don't see her doing so), at least Mohinder will find a cure... which will cure him from being The Fly and Maya from being black eyed death.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #74
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Slyar used invis/teleport type powers as well. Elle proved that even a one dimensional hero can take out someone like Sylar.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 PM   #75
Thomkal
Head Coach

I was kind of meh on the two episodes-yeah there was some cool things like Sylar/Claire, Peter being the one to shoot Nathan, Ando showing up with a power in the future and a cool looking one at that and hey we even got a nod to another great sci-fi show of the past with Bruce Boxleitner being added to the cast.

But like a few others said too much was going on, and after a long time since the last episode hard to keep up with. Hated the whole Mohinder plot other than the fact that I'm curious about what he is turning into. I liked him kinda of being the voice of the people without powers and now that is gone until/if he finds a cure.

Not a fan of the "religious conversion" of Nathan, and the somewhat suspect "rebirth" of Lindemann. But waiting to see just what happened there.

And I'm just not liking all this time travel. I'm not a fan of time travel stories to begin with-most of the time I think they use time travel when they have written themselves into a corner-oh look we will just change the future since we don't have a real good answer for why this happened!
They've already saved the future at least once on Heroes, and we've been to the past too. Let's stay in our time period for a change.

And speaking of time travel storylines, refresh my memory-did they ever resolve what happened with Peter's Irish chick from last season? Didn't she get trapped in the future or something?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #76
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They've already saved the future at least once on Heroes, and we've been to the past too. Let's stay in our time period for a change.

It's hard to see the distopia that is possible (or to give the heroes a nudge) without going to the future. But I think with the villains, we are going to stay in this time period.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #77
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I was kind of meh on the two episodes-yeah there was some cool things like Sylar/Claire, Peter being the one to shoot Nathan, Ando showing up with a power in the future and a cool looking one at that and hey we even got a nod to another great sci-fi show of the past with Bruce Boxleitner being added to the cast.

And Willam Katt, the Greatest American Hero, being frozen to death.

Quote:
But like a few others said too much was going on, and after a long time since the last episode hard to keep up with. Hated the whole Mohinder plot other than the fact that I'm curious about what he is turning into. I liked him kinda of being the voice of the people without powers and now that is gone until/if he finds a cure.

Not a fan of the "religious conversion" of Nathan, and the somewhat suspect "rebirth" of Lindemann. But waiting to see just what happened there.

And I'm just not liking all this time travel. I'm not a fan of time travel stories to begin with-most of the time I think they use time travel when they have written themselves into a corner-oh look we will just change the future since we don't have a real good answer for why this happened!

With ya. One of the biggest disappointments for me in this show is the time-travel junk. When it comes down to it, you can just keep "going back" until you get the results you want. I get real annoyed by that stuff real fast.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #78
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
It's hard to see the distopia that is possible (or to give the heroes a nudge) without going to the future.
We have/had at least 5 people that can see the future in Isaac, Ma Petrelli, the new African guy and both Peter Petrelli's. I'd rather have one long Dallas-type episode where it all turns out to be a dream at the end of the episode or beginning of the next one than deal with the constant ability to go back and forth in time and to anyplace you want.

Instead they're trying to write themselves out of it by using House Rules - Hiro won't do it because of Adam, which I can kinda accept, but we know he'll do it again when it's a huge deal; Peter won't do it his mother guilt trips him out of it and tells him he ruins the future - but really, he could just go back again and try X times. Now he's all torn up because Claire had a bad day and Sylar's invincible? Ummm..... go back a day and stop it. You have the ability and just used it to go back 4 years and shoot your brother - you won't go back a day and tell Claire to leave the house?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #79
Izulde
Head Coach

I don' t know that you'd be able to fix stuff by going back till you get the results you want.

Remember The Butterfly Effect? Every time he went back to try and fix things, they just got worse and worse in the future.

Maya continues to annoy me. Future Peter vs. Present Peter makes Peter much more interesting, but both versions are still annoying dumbasses.

Ma Patrelli is really developing into a fascinating character in my opinion.

I still really, really like Elle.

I found this whole Hiro's mistrust of Ando thing to be somewhat contrived and akwardly acted out in the present, which kind of dinged that particular storyline for me, but we'll see where it goes.

Given that Tracy's power is command over ice (heh nice that she's literally the Ice Queen), I'm inclined to believe that she isn't Nikki/Jessica after all, because there are people who look remarkably like others in this world.

Regarding Linderman, I'm not sure what to think. Is he some sort of supernatural/celestial being or is he Nathan's imagination? Those are my two opinions right now and I don't know which I believe.

I like that we appear to have several groups of villians going on right now. There's the escaped villians, there's Sylar/Ma Patrelli and there's the potential for Claire to turn.

On the heroic side, I see Parkman, Hiro, Noah and Elle obviously.

Everyone else, I think has the potential to be on either side or their actions have the potential to result in advantages to one side or the other.

I was a little sad to see Bob go, though he had to.

One of the best part of the first two volumes... No West! Who, incidentally, speaking of replicating powers, was the first instance of duplicate powers if I remember right, as he and Nathan can both fly.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #80
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
And Willam Katt, the Greatest American Hero, being frozen to death.

I saw his name in the credits, but didn't make the connection and didn't recognize as that reporter. That's cool. And what happened to him was pretty cool too.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #81
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
One of the best part of the first two volumes... No West! Who, incidentally, speaking of replicating powers, was the first instance of duplicate powers if I remember right, as he and Nathan can both fly.

I believe somewhere in season 2(outside of the show) it was revealed that there is a limited number of powers, but we obviously haven't seen the limit yet.

IIRC, Kristen Bell was signed on for 13 episodes so she should have some more screen time yet, but she seems to be leading to being eventually put aside. Keeping her in the storylines shouldn't be hard though as I can think of some they could do.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #82
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So, btw, about the prophecy. Who do you think is pure and the "light"? I thought it may have been Mohinder, who directly injected himself with the purified version of the formula, but his "Fly" metamorphosis put a kibbosh on that. Is it Peter again who has to save everything? If so, at least he's trapped in a body and no one knows where he is or who he's trapped inside (well, very few know).
Old 09-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #83
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I assumed the light was Claire since she is special and sort of the anti-Sylar since the healing powers were made such a big deal. Saving the world will probably come down to Peter and Hiro again.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #84
Thomkal
Head Coach

that was just about what I was going to say Brian-damn you for stealing my thoughts!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #85
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
that was just about what I was going to say Brian-damn you for stealing my thoughts!

I'm guessing you would have said it using better English.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #86
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

On the other hand, I can see the writers getting tired of Claire being the key and Peter and Hiro saving things.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #87
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
On the other hand, I can see the writers getting tired of Claire being the key and Peter and Hiro saving things.

And break out of a pattern that has worked so well in the past? You can get kicked out of the Writer's Guild for doing something like that.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #88
gi
College Prospect

The show had potential if Sylar died at the end of season 1, but it seems the writers are grasping at straws now. Introducing too many variables making it that much more non-believable for the setting. I'll give it a couple more viewings, but am losing interest. Time travel is the ultimate writer cop-out and I was hoping we were done with it as a major story line.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #89
Anthony
Banned

so much for "Save The Cheerleader, Save The World". the whole point of season 1 was to prevent Sylar from getting Claire's power.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #90
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
so much for "Save The Cheerleader, Save The World". the whole point of season 1 was to prevent Sylar from getting Claire's power.

Have to look at it from the broader picture. The reason "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" worked was because it allowed Sylar to be incapacited (by Hiro's sword) when he started to go all nuclear bomb... giving Nathan time to sweep him up and carry him to space.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #91
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It really should have been "Kill Ted... Save the World", since it wasn't so much Sylar having Claire's power as it was Sylar having Ted's power.

I will admit, however, that from a marketing perspective the phrase they chose is a bit more catchy.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 09-24-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #92
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Indeed... people like cheerleaders more than Ted.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #93
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The show is becoming a bit unweildly in many regards. Between the constant time travelling and the at times limitless - and other times very limited - powers of Peter things don't always seem to add up.

I'm also slightly annoyed at what they've done following the last two season finales. At the end of Season 1, Peter, Nathan, and Sylar all appeared to have "died". At the end of Season 2, Nathan and Nikki appeared to be dead. None of these character (the Nikki thing is still up in the air) have remained dead. I understand that you can't kill off main characters like that (unless you're George RR Martin) and that it's a very old comic book convention for heroes to "come back from the dead", but it's getting a bit tired already.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #94
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It really should have been "Kill Ted... Save the World", since it wasn't so much Sylar having Claire's power as it was Sylar having Ted's power.

I will admit, however, that from a marketing perspective the phrase they chose is a bit more catchy.

What about "Toss Peter into space....Save the World"
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #95
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I just have this sneaky suspicion that one of the main characters that we know and love is going to end up offed (and for good) sometime this season. Like others have said, you can't keep bringing em back if you want to keep viewers.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #96
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
The show is becoming a bit unweildly in many regards. Between the constant time travelling and the at times limitless - and other times very limited - powers of Peter things don't always seem to add up.

I'm also slightly annoyed at what they've done following the last two season finales. At the end of Season 1, Peter, Nathan, and Sylar all appeared to have "died". At the end of Season 2, Nathan and Nikki appeared to be dead. None of these character (the Nikki thing is still up in the air) have remained dead. I understand that you can't kill off main characters like that (unless you're George RR Martin) and that it's a very old comic book convention for heroes to "come back from the dead", but it's getting a bit tired already.

I think you need to shake up the cast though for a show like this. Maybe not killing people off, but I thought shows like Buffy and Angel did a great job of at least making it seem like the composition of the main characters was changing every season. Through people leaving, or through major character development.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #97
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

IIRC, the original idea was to have a whole new cast of heroes for S2, with the original heroes kind of more in the background... but then they become mega popular and it was hard to do that.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #98
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Particularly when the creators claim they are not comic book guys.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #99
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

BTW - for those of you that like the behind-the-scenes stuff almost as much as the show itself (like I do), you should check out Greg Beeman's blog. Beeman is one of the producer/directors on the show. He always has backstage pictures and insights in the show and such.

Beaming Beeman

Good stuff

Last edited by PackerFanatic : 09-24-2008 at 09:39 AM.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #100
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I think you need to shake up the cast though for a show like this. Maybe not killing people off, but I thought shows like Buffy and Angel did a great job of at least making it seem like the composition of the main characters was changing every season. Through people leaving, or through major character development.

Perhaps I wasn't as into buffy or Angel as I am into Heroes, but I have probably watched the majority of those shows by now thanks to reruns over the years. I don't recall the casts changing -that- much on those shows. At least not any moreso than Heroes has done the first few years.

I was trying to think of a good example of what I think you were trying to say from other shows I like or have watched. I can't really think of any, even in series I enjoy that seem to have alot of people killed off (Prison Break for instance), they still keep the core cast. Might just be one of those downfalls of being a popular show type thing.