She is a true thespian

rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:10 PM   #52
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
Nice Cave

You know, I'd never heard of Nick Cave, first I'd heard of him was from the Johnny Cash cover of The Mercy Seat on his Solitary Man CD, and then he showed up again to sing I'm So Lonesome I could Cry on the last one. I loved The Mercy Seat though, awesome song.

From what little I heard from him singing though his stuff is mostly punk-ish eh? That's too bad, I think I'd really like his stuff lyrically, but the few songs I heard just gave me a headache.

As for the bands that move, I'd definitely say Radiohead, APC, Tool, and I am of course a huge Johnny Cash fan and would add him as well, doesn't even matter what he's singing, that voice...

In another week I might add The Flaming Lips as I just listened to them the first time last week. A friend made me listen to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, and I think I'm in love. Going to grab Soft Bulletin also as I hear it's even better. Excuse my musical ignorance, but what the hell is this classified as? I have a hard time explaining it to people who ask.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:18 PM   #53
Butter
Coordinator

Flaming Lips are uncategorizable. All Music lists them as:

* American Underground
* Noise Pop
* Alternative Pop/ Rock
* Neo-Psychedelia
* Dream Pop
* Experimental Rock

Experimental probably covers it best. First time I heard Yoshimi, I couldn't turn it off for a month.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:20 PM   #54
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Starlight Mints is a band very similar to FL. And oddly enough, they're also from Oklahoma.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:35 PM   #55
Dutch
"Dutch"

I absolutely hate Morrissey. I did like a few songs by the Smiths, they have good music, but I can't stand his voice. And only a few times could I find the music compensated enough for me to over look that.

The Stone Roses had a few good songs, as did the Charlatans. New Order kicked ass. I saw them back in the late 80's but they got pissed and walked off the stage when the sound wasn't friggin' perfect. Bitches.

I never found much 80's alternative that really made for a good concert except for Depeche Mode. They could really energize a crowd.

I watched the Cure back in 97 at the Great Western Forum (I was moonlighting there as a security guy) and they were brilliant. Robert Smith and the band basically just winged the whole concert like they were in a garage somewhere and it turned out fantastic. They are very, very talented.

Last edited by Dutch : 11-11-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:45 PM   #56
lurker
High School JV

This has nothing to do with anything, but the apostrophe in the subject is bugging me, even though I think it's technically correct. Maybe I should change it to: Is there any music better than that of The Smiths?

Okay, I need to get a life.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:52 PM   #57
Ksyrup

While you're at it, capitalize "The".
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-11-2004, 05:46 PM   #58
Super Ugly
High School JV

Useless trivia fact #346: Nick Cave used to live round the corner from me in Brighton. He used to scare all the local children and the sea gulls. I owned a Birthday Party album and only dared to listen to it a couple of times.

I was too young to catch the Smiths, but I was around to catch Morrissey's flirtation with the British National Party, so I've never been able to dig anything he's done. However, I was wondering if anybody here has heard of a Canadian band called the Dears? I saw them at a show the other week and they were very good - the British music press is currently hyping them as the successors to the Smiths. A little over the top perhaps, but perhaps you guys might like them.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:23 PM   #59
Suicane75
Coordinator

The only British musician I really enjoy is Billy Bragg. I like the Cure, but not ga-ga so.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:43 PM   #60
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Right now I have "No More Shall We Part" and "Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus" double CD, and both are dark, slightly comedic masterpieces.

Cave reminds me of a cross between Nick Drake's gloominess but beautiful lyrically, and Warren Zevon's nasty dark comedic wit.

The Rolling Stone review gives it 3 stars but is poor as always, the reviewer is surprised but the comedy or lack of doom...but if you listen to "God is in the House" on "No More Shall We Part" you'll hear the cackle of a Zevon-like moment. Check out these lyrics (I did a doubletake first time I heard them); remember this is sung in a very quiet lullaby like church hymn, just his baritone voice (sometimes whisper) and a piano

"Homos roaming the streets in packs
Queer bashers with tyre-jacks
Lesbian counter-attacks
That stuff is for the big cities
Our town is very pretty
We have a pretty little square
We have a woman for a mayor
Our policy is firm but fair
Now that God is in the house
God is in the house
God is in the house
Any day now He'll come out
God is in the house"

"Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus" is an awesome double album. Abbatoir starts off with "Get Ready for Love" which is a punkified gospel tune (NO REALLY!) Cave really likes to delve between the Western idealogy of God and the lack thereof in the people that follow faith (fundamentalists?) or at least the short attention span of people and faith.

Take the first lyric from "Get Ready for Love"

" Well, most of all nothing much
ever really happens
And God rides high up in the ordinary sky
Until we find ourselves at out most distracted
And the miracle that was promised
creeps quietly by"

"Lyre of Orpheus" starts off with its namesake song, which is a interesting take on the mythological story. Orpheus makes a lyre (go figure), and accidently kills his love, Eurydice. Later on in the story, God gets somewhat pissed because anything that listens to the lyre dies, so He kills Orpheus and again he and Eurydice meet in Hades...
This is like a blues vamp...anything about birdies detonating in the sky and bunnies bashing their brains in has to have some sort of edge to it...

"Orpheus went leaping through the fields
Strumming as hard as he did please
Birdies detonated in the sky
Bunnies dashed their brains out on the trees
O Mamma O Mamma

Orpheus strummed till his fingers bled
He hit a G minor 7
He woke up God from a deep, deep sleep
God was a major player in heaven
O Mamma O Mamma

God picked up a giant hammer
And He threw it with an thunderous yell
It smashed down hard on Orpheus' head
And knocked him down a well
O Mamma O Mamma

The well went down very deep
Very deep went down the well
The well went down so very deep
Well, the well went down to hell
O Mamma O Mamma

Poor Orpheus woke up with a start
All amongst the rotting dead
His lyre tacked safe under his arm
His brains all down his head
O Mamma O Mamma

Eurydice appeared brindled in blood
And she said to Orpheus
If you play that fucking thing down here
I'll stick it up your orifice!
O Mamma O Mamma"

There is a song honoring Johnny Cash...there are some countrified tunes, some Gaelic influences, some sea chanty songs...it's a mixmash. Abbatoir is rock, to the more laid back acoustic affair of Lyre. It's a good listen.

Simply put, Nick Cave is someone I wish I would have followed earlier. He's somewhat refreshing. I'm looking for "Murder Ballads" but haven't been lucky enough to find it.
I think that once you listen to a song of his, you'll either be drawn to his music, or put off (there doesn't seem to be an inbetween).

Some of his songs are quite dark (anyone who puts out an LP just about murder must have one hell of a dark side) but there are periods of comedy, and daresay, hope.

Are there songs just as gloomy as the Smiths? I would have to listen more to the Smiths...but a song like "No More Shall We Part" will just get under your skin, his voice sounds of utter agony (not in screaming pain, but in utter despair).

Just my .02 cents.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:48 PM   #61
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

sadly, I'm kind of burned out on all the bands I used to like, and have yet to find a new band that gives me that feeling.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:58 PM   #62
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
The Stone Roses had a few good songs, as did the Charlatans. New Order kicked ass. I saw them back in the late 80's but they got pissed and walked off the stage when the sound wasn't friggin' perfect. Bitches.

I never found much 80's alternative that really made for a good concert except for Depeche Mode. They could really energize a crowd.

You know, I could never understand this: how can a synthesizer "band" energize a crowd? Isn't it all MIDI-interface computer-driven music?

That's why I could nevrer understand the love affair with Depeche or New Order. Bunch of people standing around a drum machine and synthesizers. Obviously I'm not naiive enough to believe they were without talent, but I personally need something more organic - guitars and real percussion.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 08:30 PM   #63
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
No thanks. I don't even think I could get it. I only have basic cable because I've got DirecTV, and we get one of those UPN/WB/PAX-type stations.

I was wondering where Alyssa Milano went after those inspiring 1-800 phone company commercials, though.

After getting canned by Carl Pavano, I believe she is dating Barry Zito now.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 08:42 PM   #64
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
After getting canned by Carl Pavano, I believe she is dating Barry Zito now.

I would like to can her, oh yes I would.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:40 PM   #65
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
You know, I could never understand this: how can a synthesizer "band" energize a crowd? Isn't it all MIDI-interface computer-driven music?

That's why I could nevrer understand the love affair with Depeche or New Order. Bunch of people standing around a drum machine and synthesizers. Obviously I'm not naiive enough to believe they were without talent, but I personally need something more organic - guitars and real percussion.

Well, it was alternative music.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:44 PM   #66
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hated how Matchbox 20 used that similar riff to "how soon is now?" in that one sucky song of theirs(bent? maybe). Check out the cover of HSIN by t.A.T.u.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:58 PM   #67
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Predictable. The only band of all the ones mentioned in this thread, KX is, of course, the only one I like. I think someone mentioned the Beatles, so that's two. While just listening to various music, bands, sounds, acts, whatever is fun and worthwhile, give it 10 years to see if any can stand the test of time without being labeled as part of the nebulous decade of pop angst.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:09 AM   #68
Sporkimata
High School JV

Im a huge Nick Cave fan. You should check out "let love in" cd. Murder ballads is great too. I have seen him in two concerts, both two of the best shows I have seen.
I love talking music. Im all over the place. Depends on my mood. I love Cake, Everclear, Tom Waits, Pixies, Frank Black, Modest Mouse, Velvet underground, lou reed, beatles, david bowie, so on and so on.
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:30 AM   #69
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
sadly, I'm kind of burned out on all the bands I used to like, and have yet to find a new band that gives me that feeling.

Well the other day on the radio
I heard this song I used to know
And I remember a time when I was 16
In my old bedroom on 40th street
And I'd just bought a record with my fast food dough
And I opened up the wrapper kinda slow
And I'd never heard nothin' like it before
So I turned it up and I shut the door
I'd never heard nothing like it before
So I turned it up and I shut the door
I think I took off my shirt
I think I took off my pants
I started jumpin' on my bed, I started to dance
I didn't care 'cause I was all along
And I made my fist into a microphone
And I wanna go back to that very first time
I heard that song and it made me cry
Yeah I wanna go back
To that very first time
I heard that song and it made my cry, cry, cry
Cause the other day on the radio
I heard that song I used to know
It didn't make me weep, it didn't make me smile
I just shrugged my shoulders and I hit the dial
And at the end of the day there's not much to say
And it's a such a relief to be back asleep

From one of the greats.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 07:39 AM   #70
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Predictable. The only band of all the ones mentioned in this thread, KX is, of course, the only one I like. I think someone mentioned the Beatles, so that's two. While just listening to various music, bands, sounds, acts, whatever is fun and worthwhile, give it 10 years to see if any can stand the test of time without being labeled as part of the nebulous decade of pop angst.

Hey look, just because you can't buy 8 tracks any more is no reason to go all super-curmudgeonly on us.

Besides, I believe The Smiths, The Cure, and Depeche Mode all started in the early '80's and are still influential and worshipped today. So there.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:54 AM   #71
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca

They did have synthesizers and things like that, but there were definitely drums and guitars. The guitar parts of the song are maybe my favorite of New Order's.

Hey, Buccaneer, I think several people mentioned the Beatles, not just one. And The Smiths (see -- capitalized The, Ksyrup ) have been around for twenty years.

I should listen to some more Modest Mouse. I've heard some of their stuff, but not enough to really get a feel for it, but people seem to really love them.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:46 AM   #72
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker

I should listen to some more Modest Mouse. I've heard some of their stuff, but not enough to really get a feel for it, but people seem to really love them.

Thank you. Mention "Modest Mouse" and that "Float On" song gets stuck in my head.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:42 AM   #73
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker

I picked up Good News for People Who Like Bad News based on all the hype a while back and enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away.

I just recently picked up The Moon an Antarctica and think it's a MUCH better album, just didn't get the attention. Someone else said that Good News is more like a collection of singles, but The Moon is really a great album.

I'm really going to give Cave another try now, might try to pick up that double set mentioned.

And hey, I think most of the bands/singers mentioned here actually have been around for 10 years, although a few haven't. Very curmudgeonly though, but someone had to say it, and who better?
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:32 PM   #74
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
No offense sov, but this isn't even close to the original.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:32 PM   #75
lurker
High School JV

Yeah, it kinda grated.

But then again, I like Morrissey's voice, so maybe I'm a minority.

Last edited by lurker : 11-12-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:48 PM   #76
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Hey look, just because you can't buy 8 tracks any more is no reason to go all super-curmudgeonly on us.

Besides, I believe The Smiths, The Cure, and Depeche Mode all started in the early '80's and are still influential and worshipped today. So there.

Those were not the bands I had in mind.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:02 AM   #77
Ksyrup

Get out your tin foil hats....

http://home.cogeco.ca/~morrissey/
Old 01-24-2006, 11:41 PM   #78
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Panic on the streets of London,
Panic on the streets of Birmingham.
I wonder to myself........

Sorry, popped some Smiths in tonight and thought about this thread. Great band.