Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2008, 11:54 PM   #51
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
...along with some of the insane, dickheadish comments by Gammons as of late...
???

I'm not disputing you, just wondering what comments you're referring to...

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:11 AM   #52
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
???

I'm not disputing you, just wondering what comments you're referring to...

http://umpbump.com/press/when-did-pe...-so-crotchety/

Quote:
Want to know about winners? (Dustin) Pedroia gave up his scholarship at Arizona State to free up money to sign a much-needed pitcher, so when the Sun Devils reached the College World Series, coaches and players had “DP” on their caps in honor of their leader who never got to Omaha. The sabermetrics guys in their garages never understand these things.- October 29, 2007
Raines, Rickey Henderson and Wade Boggs were the best of the ’80s and early ’90s, and while some of our sabermetric fellows do not believe players are humans, Raines made every team he was on better - December 29, 2007
I voted for (Jim Rice), but it’s been interesting that there have been people like Rob Neyer who are so obsessed with degrading Rice’s career. - January 3, 2008

The first bolded part originally said "stats-nazis" and was later changed.

I noticed the comments on Raines and about Neyer and wondered what Gammons problem is now. He's been a guy thats pushed for Bill James to be in the Hall of Fame, but after seeing how personal he takes any criticism of Jim Rice I'm wondering if that isn't just the Red Sox homer in him.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #53
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The funny thing about the second statement is that Raines is being pushed, the most, by the "sabermetric fellows".
Old 01-11-2008, 01:04 AM   #54
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Its sad, as non-traditional stats have become more available and new ways of analyzing players across generations are readily accessible the gap between the traditional minds and the stats community is growing.

We're approaching an interesting time in HOF voting but I wouldn't call the lack of good analysis "sad". To me, the HOF isn't and was never intended to be a pure representation of the best players in history. Instead, it's honor for players who's performance have connected with fans in a way that achieves this type of immortality (through the vote of the writers). Whenever I watched a baseball game on TV growing up, the three stats you saw on the screen when a batter came to the plate were AVG, HR, RBI. That's what mattered, we decided, for decades. And thus, those numbers created huge stars. The writers respected that and honored that stardom with the HOF.

So some egg head comes around and decides that there's a different, more accurate way to statistically value players. Until those parameters truly catch on with the mainstream, I don't really care if they're not a part of HOF induction analysis. The HOF (to me), isn't about the trendiest new stat someone came up with. It's about stardom, about connecting with fans. Biggio was never able to do that. He never really seemed larger than life, never seemed like a big star, never transcended the playing field in the way HOF players do. I'd don't think he belongs.

Just my, insignificant, (over-romanticized) view of the HOF.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:20 AM   #55
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I guess we just have different standards for the Hall. In my mind, it's the place to honor the best players of the game, not the most famous. And the "trendy" new baseball stats in fact do a much better job of describing who the best players are, thus why they are gaining more currency in Hall of Fame debates.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:26 AM   #56
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
And the "trendy" new baseball stats in fact do a much better job of describing who the best players are

I do agree with that part - I just see Cooperstown as more a tourist destination for fans than a reward for players.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote