Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #51
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Just browsing thru some beginner videos online about multiplayer, and I have some questions:
1. Seems like most players start their build orders fairly similarly. Does this game get repetitious where you just wash, rinse, repeat?
2. Is it fastest clicker wins?
3. Are there strategies in the "mid game" that really differ from game to game, or does it play out in familiar patterns?

Any of you still playing it on a regular basis?

Thanks for your answers...

tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #52
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Note, I am a bronze player, no expert.

1. There are standard tried and true build patterns. They are generally safe and easily transition to several different options and counters at the midgame. Generally if the game lasts longer than maybe 10 minutes(sooner at higher skill levels) you are passed that initial build and using strategies based off of what you scouted of the other player. I don't find it repetitive. More often than not I run into the enemy doing some bizarre things early on. Doubt they'd try it outside of Bronze though.

2. Definitely part of it, but it's less simply fast clicking and more gathering, parsing and making use of information. Large part of that is simply mental and understanding of game mechanics, obviously if you move your mouse faster you are going to be able to implement your strategy or counter the enemy faster. It's very fast paced, generally when I finish a game that's lasted 20 minutes it feels like over an hour. Actually part of the reason I don't play as much, exhausting for such a relatively short amount of time.

3. Yes, there are pretty clearly defined beginning, mid and end. Beginning has a few set strategies(variations here or there), mid is a combination of how you decided to transition from beginning(based on information gathered) and you countering opponents beginning and transition. Mids can vary quite a bit. Ends usually play out very similar, but you don't often get that high in the tech tree once you are beyond the newbie level with a couple turtling players.

I still play. I do recommend watching those videos. They were very helpful in my transition from clueness noob to very unskilled player .

Like I said, I'm just bronze. If I posted on the SC2 forums they would ridicule me and tell me I shouldn't talk .

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #53
mckerney
Coordinator

NA Battle.net Invitational - Tournaments - BlizzCon

Blizzard North American Invitational finals coming up this afternoon if anyone wants to watch, next match starting soon. Playing to $10,000 and a spot in a tourney at Blizzcon to represent the US, Day[9] is casting.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #54
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
NA Battle.net Invitational - Tournaments - BlizzCon

Blizzard North American Invitational finals coming up this afternoon if anyone wants to watch, next match starting soon. Playing to $10,000 and a spot in a tourney at Blizzcon to represent the US, Day[9] is casting.
I've been watching this tourney off and on. I do have to say the broadcast aspect of it makes it much more enjoyable (and informative) to watch.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #55
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Just picked this up a couple days ago. Do we have a list anywhere of FOFC battle.net usernames? I would like to friend you guys who play MP. My username is: Broth if anyone want to add me.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #56
Warhammer
Pro Starter

My name is.... Warhammer

I have been sucked in by this. I typically do not like RTS games, but this one has sucked me in. I finished the campaign on normal, and am plowing back through it on hard and to take a couple of different branches on the mission tree.

These decisions do affect some future missions since they affect the order that you get units.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #57
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah I am finishing up hard. Wasn't even close to possible when I first bought it, so apparently I suck slightly less now.

And 920k on lost viking, fuck yeah.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #58
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

It looks like I'll need your email addy to add as friend.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #59
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I'm thinking about digging into this series.. should I buy the original first and play through it and the first expansion before digging into SC 2?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #60
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I'd get SC2 and the expansion, personally. The first Starcraft is still playable but it is definitely old. I don't think the story is that important, I've played through the majority of SC2 and it's fun, but I think that multiplayer is the core of the game.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #61
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I haven't played it in a while, so I can't speak to the way it holds up, but the story in SC1 was way the hell better than I ever expected from an RTS, even coming from Blizzard.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #62
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I read up on the first part and purchased SC 2.. I can't believe I haven't purchased this game yet.. judgement reserved, but it looks right up my alley. I was a C&C fiend years ago.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #63
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow.. this is one fantastic RTS! I can't sleep How did I miss this game or the first one for that matter?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #64
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Lol. the campaign is top notch
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #65
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Lol. the campaign is top notch

Maybe one of the best games I've ever played.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #66
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Wow.. this is one fantastic RTS! I can't sleep How did I miss this game or the first one for that matter?

I spent at least a couple of semesters in college playing Starcraft and will still play it every once in a while. It's one of the best games ever made.

So, yeah, how in the world did you miss it?!?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #67
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I spent at least a couple of semesters in college playing Starcraft and will still play it every once in a while. It's one of the best games ever made.

So, yeah, how in the world did you miss it?!?

SI

So many games out there..