Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #51
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

The Passing system is very innovative and hopefully works decently. If it does than yea these guys could teach Madden a thing or two. Then again, any 7 year old midget/pop warner player could probably teach Madden a thing or two as well :/

k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #52
rowech
Pro Starter

I guess for me, it'll boil down to a couple of things...

1. How much do I want real players?

2. What type of long term modes are there for backbreaker. Is there a season mode, a franchise mode, or something similar?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #53
rowech
Pro Starter

I also think it was very smart for them to get this game out two months before Madden...especially if it starts getting good reviews.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #54
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I guess for me, it'll boil down to a couple of things...

1. How much do I want real players?

2. What type of long term modes are there for backbreaker. Is there a season mode, a franchise mode, or something similar?

#2 is the most important issue for me. Depending upon how well their "career mode" is implemented will be the deciding factor if I get this or not. I agree that coming out 2 months before Madden and a month before NCAA is smart.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #55
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

As much as I love a good career mode, I think it is a secondary concern for me in this game. If this actually plays a good game of football, I'd be happy with something approximating a season mode.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #56
aran
High School Varsity

The physics in this game are so impressive. To play a football game and actually have the action on the field look uniquely like football every play--that may be worth $35 alone. Looks like this game gets a lot of the visceral elements right at least as far as play on the field is concerned.

The career mode only matters to me in that it stitches individual matches together in a semi-meaningful way.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #57
NewIdentity
High School JV

This look and sounds a lot like Blitz The League I and II

Any connections?

Of course something tells me that this game will not have Lawrence Taylor on the cover.

BTW.... You can pick up Blitz the League II for $7.99
Blitz: The League II (PLAYSTATION3 NEW): N02-009216 iNetVideo.com - HD DVD, DVD, Blu-ray, Video Games, CDs
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 05-20-2010 at 09:02 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #58
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some info concerning what's available in the upcoming demo.........

Quote:
1: Getting to grips with it.

Backbreaker was designed around a new control scheme and a new way to play. Seasoned football gamers will instinctively want to hit the buttons to spin/juke/pass/truck etc. This is normal, but with a little practice you’ll be pulling off evasive and aggressive moves without thinking about it. To help get the hang of things:

i: Complete the training camp drills before leaping into Exhibition, this will give you all the tools you need to play the game.

ii: Consider playing Tackle Alley before Exhibition to help hone your basic running game skills.

iii: If you really don't get on with the dual stick controls after this, select "Alternate Controls" on the controller select screen. This moves the majority of controls to the buttons.

2: Tackle Alley tips.

i: Power moves are harder to pull off than jukes and spins, but earn you more points.

ii: After missing a tackle, the defense will get up and try to chase you down - be aware of who may be catching up behind you.

iii: Showboating will earn you more points, but you are much slower.

iv: Going over the red boundary is as bad as being tackled - wave over.

3: Exhibition tips.

i: Don't be afraid to start on Easy Arcade and work your way into the game.

ii: When kicking, or indeed receiving a kickoff, watch the wind. With strong winds, you can get a pretty good idea how far (or short) the ball is going to go.

iii: Player stats matter in Backbreaker! In the demo there are 6 teams to choose from with varying abilities. Here is the QA team's **unofficial** assessment of those you get to play with!

----------
UPFL Teams
----------
The UPFL sits below the BBFL in Road to Backbreaker, it's the 'middle' division. The teams that play in this league represent the 'Average' teams of Backbreaker. They have their individual strengths and weaknesses:

Charleston Cougars:
-------------------
This team is heavily biased to the offensive side of the ball, based around a long-time star player.

Strengths:
Behind the Center sits Cougar Greathouse, The Cougars' star Quarterback is regularly chosen as starting Quarterback for the UPFL division's All Star team. He's the cornerstone of the Cougar's offense, backed up by steady players at Fullback, Halfback and Receiver slots. Unlike some of the weaker teams in their division, they are capable of leaning on the passing game whilst still mixing up their playcalling.

Weaknesses:
With the team being built around the talent of Greathouse, their Defense has lacked the big star names needed to dominate. Though they play hard they can sometimes be exposed when playing tougher opposition.

Smart teams attempt to break down the Cougars by attacking their O-line, which isn't as strong as their passing numbers make out. Many teams seek to blitz through and bring down Greathouse before he can make the play. No Greathouse, no Cougars.

Columbia Colonels:
------------------
A well rounded team, with their star player, Craig Swanson, bringing the pain at the outside LB position. Marshall Coy at Quarterback has a strong arm but is often restricted by his receiving corps, which lack a stand-out passing option. They favor maintaining possession, controlling the clock and slowly moving up the field rather than throwing long for big gains.

Strengths:
Strong all round team, good Defense.

Weaknesses:
Often lack the ability to make that one big play against a superior team.

----------
BBFL Teams
----------
The BBFL contains the best teams in Backbreaker. In all there are 32 BBFL teams, 4 of which are represented in the demo. All these teams should be able to hold their own against the UPFL teams relatively easily - when playing with them, bear the following in mind:

Pittsburgh Pioneers
-------------------
The Pioneers are one of the more unusual teams in the BBFL. While Devonte Levy at TE typically wins the praise as the Pioneer's main playmaker, their true strength perhaps lies in their special teams where they have a strong set of players with which to gain strong field position, put points on the board and swing close games in their direction.

Strengths:
One of the best Special Team units in the League. Their kickers are accurate and powerful, while Isai Kelly, at Kick Return, piles the pressure straight back on whenever he touches the ball.

Weaknesses:
They have problem positions, Donavan Sexton at FB often getting the brunt of the blame, having not lived up to the promise he showed when he was drafted by the team, Sexton has increasingly proved himself to be a weak link in the Pioneers' offense.

Chicago Talons
--------------
The talons are one of the weaker teams in the BBFL. With the exception of Alan Gomez, star RB, their Offense often lacks the power to make the big play when under pressure. In an offensive shoot-out, the Talons have a habit of coming out second best. When things are going their way they rely on shutting down opponents with their strong D and trying to keep momentum rolling with their running game.

Strengths:
Very strong D, especially at CB. Good special teams. Though Gomez often has to carry the weight of his team on his shoulders, if can break into the open field, he can do major damage.

Weaknesses:
Lack of options on offense, can struggle to get back into a game if it starts going against them.

Indianapolis Spartans
---------------------
The Spartans are a tough team to beat. Taking them down requires containing their offense - easier said than done. Those trying to break through their O-line by Blitzing are often forced to rethink things pretty quickly. Getting through to sack Reed Wagoner at Quarterback is easier said than done.

Strengths:
Awesome offense. Even though McPherson is said to be somewhat slow at WR - the Spartans have enough options in their receiver corps to spread the ball around. Once a defense has been weakened, they often strike a killing blow with their star Tight End, Stone Lara.

Weaknesses:
It's hard to find any, which is why they are currently sitting pretty near the top of the BBFL. Their Defense isn't the best in the league, but it won't help most teams that come up against these guys. You need to bring your A-Game against the boys from Indiana.

Oakland Scourge
---------------
The scourge are a team built from the backfield. Their secondary is amongst the best the league has to offer, and they tend to keep a lid on somne of the league's toughest offenses. Their star player on offense is Dexter Houston a Running Back, renknowned for being tough and reliable. Houston is at his best when running downhill for consistent gains that are tough to stop. Strong fast and agile, Houston embodies the way the Scourge play. It's often said that the addition of a world class QB would put the scourge right up there amongst the best of the best.

Strengths:
Very strong secondary makes it difficult for opponents to make big gains. Often teams will be reluctant to throw long against the scourge, as it's a team that prides itself on Ballhawking.

Weaknesses:
They talk about replacing the QB for a reason. Corey Stark could be generously described as an average BBFL QB.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #59
whomario
Pro Starter

Maybe this is exagerating, but the guys behind that seem to really put their heart and soul into this game, kind of reminds me of a fantasy author creating a world to write about in how they really create an alternate football universe with alternate gameplay and new control system. Even if the game doesn´t keep up, it´s hard to not give them an A+ for effort from the info we´ve been given.
Then again, as the new guys in town they have to give a better effort than Madden to stand any chance of establishing themselves.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #60
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Dates for the demo:

"Xbox Live Gold - Friday 21st 9am PST
Xbox Live Silver - Friday 28th 9am PST
PSN - "incoming", we expect it on Tuesday."

Looks like I'll be busy tomorrow afternoon...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #61
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Looking forward to trying the demo tomorrow night.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #62
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

So... anyone play the demo yet?
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #63
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I tried it briefly today.. lots of things to do in the demo, game menus are well done.

Actual gameplay is "ok" for me so far with limited time playing.

I don't like the default camera, although I know they are simulating the limited view a player has on the field. I also don't like all the times I have to hit A to get past the replays and such.

Will spend more time with it later.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #64
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow.. no more impressions?

I'm going to play some more tonight.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #65
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Wow.. no more impressions?

I'm going to play some more tonight.

I'm downloading it now.. but it will need to be very good to keep me from switching to RDR in a bit.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #66
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Only played the training camp and 1 exhibition "game", which is actually locked at a half that has 2 2 minute quarters. I picked the pro mode which I assume is a simulation mode since the other mode is "arcade." I played on the medium difficulty level (easy, medium, and hard are the three choices.) I played as Indianapolis vs Columbia. We had vastly better ratings. I felt the skill of their star OLB as he sacked my QB twice, but otherwise I was able to move the ball at will and the QB threw 3 picks right at my guys in that short period. As a result, I won easily 35-0. Not that encouraging. I'm going to move up to hard difficulty and see if the QB makes better choices. The other issue I had is that both teams had too many fumbles and too many big hits. I saw 4 fumbles between us in 2 2 minute quarters.

The positives are the physics which generally look good, although not all of the time as backs seem to be able to change their direction a bit too quickly and drastically at full speed in my opinion. Overall, not that impressed, but intrigued enough to give it another few tries before RDR sucks me in again..

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-21-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #67
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Looking forward to hearing some other people's impressions but I'm not that impressed right now. There are some great wow collisions, but also a lot of stupid football plays that I've seen in just the 2 demo games. For example, the computer loves to throw it the HB for a loss of 4 or 5 when it is getting pressured. All QB's love to throw Tebow like jump passes, particularly when pressured. QB's are being allowed to throw it far down the field when getting hit at times, although with an awkward animation playing and poor accuracy. Running seems too difficult while passing is a bit too easy so far. I've seen DB's collide with each other twice in 2 short games allowing the receiver to go untouched for a TD. Neither one of the plays was particularly bang-bang and it didn't look authentic. Also, there are too many sacks off blitzes. I played as the worse team this last time and still got 4 sacks off blitzes in 2 2 minute quarters. Maybe this is just a demo thing but it seems like all players may only have 4 ratings (maybe it is just 4 listed on the depth chart) - Focus, Speed, Strength, and Agility. Hopefully, that is just a demo depth chart thing.

On the plus side, some of the WR/DB hits look amazing. QB's are sometime inaccurate. A lot of the hits look very good.

Anyway, I'll give it another try tomorrow, but this demo does not entice me to pay full price for this game, assuming it is 50-60 dollars (or even 39.99.)

Edit: One other thing I do like is the camera angles which give a much more limited view of the field and make you feel more like you are playing whatever position you are at on the field at that time. That is done well at least for QB and LB, in my opinion.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-21-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #68
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would agree somewhat.. I'm not impressed as much as I thought I would be, but to me, the camera angle leaves a lot to be desired.

There is no peripheral vision, which kind of makes the game a tad borning for me.. not being able to see what's going on besides your view doesn't do much for me, I still like to see all of the action.

Stadiums are great.. maybe later on when it's not $50.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #69
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It's growing on me - the hitting alone makes the game worth putting some time into it.

I really like the running, but passing is damn tough and I feel like a lucky man when I complete one. If the camera was back just a bit further, I think I would really get the hang of it.

Spins are hard for me to pull of, but the rest isn't too difficult.

I love how your player starts gasping for air if you hold the aggressive button too long.

Defense isn't too bad if I play safety.. but again, I would like the camera pulled back.

I'm still on the fence and with NCAA 11 coming, I'm not sure I'll get it until it drops to $20-$30.

Really impressed with all the tackling/hitting variations though, I've seen so many cool hits and tackles!!!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-22-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #70
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I thought the game felt kind of alien to me, and I could rarely truly tell what I was doing when running the ball. There is no real ability to feel where defenders might be coming from, and that makes it kind of a wham bam, how many yards did I get? kind of thing unless you manage to break into the open field, where it seems there is at least a little time to survey the scene.

I also wish there were other camera options, as limiting to one camera view really sucks when it cant have been that hard to have multiple or even custom camera views.

And watching replays.. Why show only from my player's P.O.V.? Why can't I see other angles of the action? Lame for when I want to really look at the game and see what happened on a given play from a better perspective. Not as enjoyable as I had hoped, can only hope they try again and refine the system based on feedback to give the game more realism and the player more options. What good are the impressive physics based animations if you only get one or two glimpses of a great tackle or block before you have to move on, when one could sit for a couple minutes and really enjoy the details of all the action taking place?

I give it a 2/5, and this is from a guy who hasn't been able to enjoy a football game since Madden 07 for the original XBOX.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 05-22-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #71
MajikMan77
n00b

Sure the tackles are nice and all but does anyone else feel the models are um....awful looking? I keep expecting them to whip out a gun and shoot my QB in the face as they look like they are wearing body armour. Also whats with every freaking player looking like Randal McDaniel with the cool visor in his helmet?

I had this game preorderd and if anything, this demo has me considering cancelling it
MajikMan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #72
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Been playing some more and the camera angle is just killing it for me. I just don't feel connected to the rest of the game.

A pulled back camera would do wonders for me.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #73
Raiders Army
Coordinator

The game arrived in the mail today from Gamestop. I played a little bit and completed the tutorial (the only one I can't get is the lob pass).

The game seems very fun overall. I like how the running game and passing game are different from Madden and NCAA Football. I also like playing the defensive side of the ball...it seems much more like playing real football.

The cons are the create-a-team. It's not very intuitive at all. I haven't played the online part of it yet and I'm not sure I will.

Overall, it seems as if it's a solid effort, especially compared to Madden 07 (I think that was the first 360 version).
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #74
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Too bad the CPU AI is horrible, the playbook is limited, and lots of goofy bugs from what I've read over at OS and a review from Game Informer.

They did announce a BB2, so I'm sure they will use this years feedback and improve on the AI and what not.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #75
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I haven't played the online part of it yet and I'm not sure I will.

From a few reviews I've read it sounds like online is where the game really shines, outside of some lag issues. By all reports it's the AI's inability to not throw picks or run the ball that are the game's biggest issues.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #76
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone wanting to pick it up cheaper: Backbreaker Football - Xbox 360 - QVC.com
Old 06-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #77
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Okay, I played online and I've played a little in the Road to Backbreaker.

It's simply not a good game.

The pluses:
The tackling is amazing.
Running the ball feels more organic than Madden.

The minuses:
Play selection is very limited.
Create a team is very work intensive. It'd be better if they did it like NCAA Football.
No NFL license.

The NFL license thing isn't a dealbreaker, but it would greatly enhance the game.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #78
aran
High School Varsity

I think the NFL license would make it too comparable to madden. THe idea behind this game should be to release a unique football game with features you can't find in Madden and a radically different approach to many aspects. I think using a multi-tiered league style of play is very cool and hope they come up with other unique twists to add to the picture in BB2.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #79
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Okay, I played online and I've played a little in the Road to Backbreaker.

It's simply not a good game.

The pluses:
The tackling is amazing.
Running the ball feels more organic than Madden.

The minuses:
Play selection is very limited.
Create a team is very work intensive. It'd be better if they did it like NCAA Football.
No NFL license.

The NFL license thing isn't a dealbreaker, but it would greatly enhance the game.

Somebody over at OS has NFL teams that you can import or something like that..

The game will be in the bargain bins at some point and I might pick it up then, especially if there is a patch.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #80
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Patch is due out soon and if it really does some of what they state, I might pick this one up instead of Madden 11.

Quote:
From the NaturalMotion Games team:

Over the past few months, the team at NaturalMotion Games has been talking with the community and listening to all of their ideas for Backbreaker. We’ve taken it all on board and, as you know, we’ve been working hard on an update. As a tribute to the Backbreaker forums’ favourite player, we’re naming this update “Greathouse” and it does a whole lot more than simply tweak a few things here and there. We’re very nearly done and now we want to share with you exactly what “Greathouse” will bring to Backbreaker.

One final thing. We take great delight from seeing all your videos and we’re humbled by your support and enthusiasm. If you’ve seen something uniquely amazing in Backbreaker that made you smile, laugh, point, call a friend or rub your eyes in amazement, then you ‘get’ Backbreaker… and we’ve made this game, and “Greathouse”, for you.

Key Additions

Brand new replay camera suite

• New free-flight camera
• Sideline and Endzone cameras including ball lock, pan and tele-zoom function
• A player-centric camera including zoom and rotation function. Track any player on either team.
• Ball camera including zoom and rotate
• Complete replay suite functionality added to Tackle Alley
• Added pause/play to all replay cameras for greater footage control
• Added ability to remove OSD for clean footage capture

Offensive Gameplay Camera

• The Quarterback camera has been pulled back and raised a little. This still keeps the feeling of being down in the action, but provides a slightly wider view and vision over the line
• Added a ‘glance’ button which allows you to instantly check your blind-side

Expanded Playbook

An Extra 59 Offensive plays consisting of these formations:
• Ace – Double Tight End
• Spread – 4 Wide
• Bunch – Bunch right
• Empty – 5 WR!!
• T-form – Old fashioned power football, 3 running backs in the backfield

An Extra 51 Defensive plays have been included consisting of these formations:
• 44 – 4 Defensive linemen, 4 linebackers.
• 46 – Traditional old school defense born of Buddy Ryan
• 33 – Nickel package with 3 defensive linemen and 3 linebackers
• 3 Deep – 7 defensive backs package with 3 deep across the back.

Gameplay Enhancements

Improved Passing Game & Reduced Interception Frequency

Following valuable feedback from reviews and Backbreaker forums, we rewrote elements of the AI that will help make passing a more effective way to gain yards.

Here is a summary of the changes:

• We’ve improved the O-Line for teams throughout the game. This will give you longer in the pocket to make your reads correctly and go through your progression
• We’ve increased the passing animation speed and increased the minimum distance where a long windup will be required. You will now be able to execute the pass more quickly and hit your target more effectively
• There were too many dropped passes to the flats. We’ve introduced a new pass classification for these simple passes and have ramped up the accuracy of the QB when performing this type of pass
• The accuracy of QBs has been increased across the board
• Defensive Backs now fully respect their visibility cone, only seeing interception opportunities when appropriate. The DBs will continue with the assigned role until the either “see” the need to change, or “hear” the need to change, which is typically about 1-2 seconds after the snap
• We’ve tweaked the amount your QB will lead a receiver when activated
• Moved pump fake to shoulder button to make lob passes easier to execute
• Improved mechanism for Quarterback scanning the field
• Reduced penalty applied for throwing out of focus mode

User Interceptions and User Controlled Catching

• Following community feedback, the user is now given full control over interception attempts when controlling a defensive player. Interception attempts are made by holding the left trigger (focus mode), ie. by actively looking towards the ball as it comes in
• Wide Receiver catching in now also uses this mechanic (i.e. hold left trigger when ball is approaching)
• To signal an incoming ball, the user-controlled WR will be highlighted red when targeted by the QB

QB AI Logic

The QB AI has received a major overhaul. Firstly, the opposition QB will now recognise double coverage better. He is also more likely to throw the ball away rather than risk a throw / take a sack. This results in fewer AI interceptions and sacks. We’ve also reworked the QB receiver selection logic and increased prioritisation of throwing to the primary.

Improved Pocket Protection

Following numerous tweaks, the pocket is more solid. Pocket time now averages around 5 seconds and is all linked to the players’ attributes.

Show and Hide Blitz

New ability to show and hide blitz, pre-snap , by pressing the shoulder button.

Jukes and spins

The animation speed of these has been increased and better linked to a player’s agility attribute.

Improved AI Time Management, Audibles and Play-calling

Sophistication of play selection, audibles and timeouts has been improved. Additionally, the AI is more likely to flip their selected play depending on the situation.

Opposition AI

This has been given an overhaul and you should find your opponent much more of a threat. We’ve also rebalanced Easy, Medium and Hard settings to be more challenging and linked almost all AI decisions/speeds to their attributes. Also, you should be aware that all of the notes relating to AI, animation and behaviours above will apply to your opponent as well. These are game-wide changes.

New RB Focus Mode

When holding the left trigger, the camera will turn upfield when the RB is heading towards the sidelines. This is NOT automatic – you need to press the hold the trigger to manually glance upfield.

Stumble Mechanic

We have added a stumble recovery mechanic for when your player has been knocked off course. To recover from a stumble, just press the Action button as quickly as possible.

Fumbles

• Fumbles are now more likely to happen for non-QB players.
• Passes backwards are now classified as fumbles (respecting QB arm movement direction)
• Catches bobbled / dropped within 2 steps as a result of a tackle are marked as incomplete passes rather than fumbles (player deemed not in control of ball)
Bug Fixes & Other High Priority Issues

Friendly Fire!

Your players occasionally reacted too strongly to friendly physical impact. This happened especially when controlling a RB/FB and clashing with your line. We’ve dialled that back, which should make your running game more effective. Players will still react to the collision but will be less likely to be knocked down

Penalties

Users have been reporting a multitude of penalty issues. We have done a comprehensive review of all penalty complaints and bugs (including the infamous roughing-the-kicker) and have been able to resolve them. We believe you will find this drastically improves the quality of the game.

Online Gameplay

• Reduced online lag slightly
• Built in a new protection system against people hacking the game to create a “super team” and taking it online
• Removed the Cancel Stats Posting option as reported by the forum. People were abusing this to avoid losses showing up in their profile
• Fixed a number of other stat posting related issues

D-Line

• Users playing as part of the D-Line were experiencing a slower-than-desired speed in getting off the mark due to a delay in input control. This has been solved
• Users playing D-line can now bat the ball (pull down on the right-stick)
• Spins, rips and swims are now more effective to help you get that sack

Too much Boom!

Stopped “Boom” playing every kickoff. It now only occurs at the start of each half. Yay!

Team Ratings

Offense, Defensive and Overall ratings for teams have been recalculated and now more accurately reflect the quality of the team if all the best players are on the field.

Play Exploits

Thanks to feedback from the forums we have put tweaks in place to prevent exploits on the following:
• RB spinning through the line
• QB sneak
• FG block
• Punt block
• Nanoblitz

Rule Fixes

• Players must take 2 steps before they gain possession of a caught ball
• Tipped punts and kick-offs that touch receiving team players and subsequently go out the back of the endzone no longer cause safeties (just touchbacks).
• Intentional Grounding penalty now causes a loss of down.
• Scrimmage kicks (punts/field goals) can only be returned by the kicking team if blocked before the line of scrimmage
• Two Minute Warning will only stop the game clock after the play has ended.
• Defensive/Offensive Pass interference rules are turned off when the ball touches a player.
• Pre-snap penalties (Encroachment, Delay of Game, False Start) no longer stop the game clock.
• Touchbacks and Safeties are determined by whoever intentionally touched the ball last, instead of whoever physically touched it last.
• Failed field goals restart at the 20 yard line or the point the ball was kicked from (used to be from the 20 yard line or the previous LoS).
• Improved Pass Interference detection.
• Defensive Holding rule now active during punts.
• Game clock is only stopped by a penalty if it is within the last 2 minutes of the first half, or the last 5 minutes of the second half.
• No longer declaring a pass as incomplete if a player catches it in the air with their feet out of bounds (the feet must be grounded).
• Fumbles on a 4th down, or within the Two Minute Warning, can only be advanced by the Defense or by the player who fumbled the ball.
• Improved the "ball carrier" logic.
• Now awarding a touchback when the punting team catches a non-live ball in the opponent’s endzone
• A ball is only considered blocked/batted if it changes the impetus of the ball.
• Intercepting the ball before your own endzone but being carried into the endzone with momentum will now give a touchback instead of a safety.
• If a QB fumbles a ball while in the motion of throwing (i.e. hands moving forwards), then this is now considered a forward pass.
• Ineligible receiver downfield during a pass down penalty now excludes tight ends."
Old 08-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #81
MJ4H
Coordinator

Wow. Pretty awesome list.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #82
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

They really do pay attention and listen to customers, that is interesting. How are they going to dominate the market and create a roster update every year with all this work they actually are trying to do? They will never top madden omgwtfbbq!
Old 08-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #83
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Very nice. Definitely good to see.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #84
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Too much Boom!

Stopped “Boom” playing every kickoff. It now only occurs at the start of each half. Yay!

That one made me laugh.

It is quite an impressive list of fixes and it seems to me they have been working hard since it's release quite some time ago.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #85
Groundhog
Coordinator

Very nice to see.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #86
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Aside from the refreshing lack of a beer tent, I didn't really find anything redeeming about the game. It would take another couple of bug fix lists of that length and depth to get it on a level that is both fun and playable. I haven't even made it through a game yet. It's hard to get into and while there are a few good graphics moves, the game really lacks something.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #87
whomario
Pro Starter

Will definitely give the game another go, has huge potential and the concept has some intrigue definitely.

as for the import of NFL teams :

http://forum.backbreakergame.com/showthread.php?t=8012&highlight=european

haven´t tried it myself, link is for the 360. Just browse their customization-forum for more info.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 08-03-2010, 05:53 AM   #88
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

If this game is even moderately successful, EA will show up with bags of loot and devour it.....goodby competition
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #89
Groundhog
Coordinator

From Dubious Quality:

Dubious Quality: Backbreaker (Greathouse #3) Impressions (360)
Quote:
Backbreaker (Greathouse #3) Impressions (360)

The Backbreaker patch isn't good.

It's great.

Remember how we all wanted to like this game, and then it actually came out and we played it and said "Oh crap, this game has cancer"? And remember how 505 Games said they were working on a patch, and then they came out with a patch list that basically shat rainbows, and we all said there was no way they could pull it off?

Well, they pulled it off.

This may be the most dramatic improvement I've ever seen in a game via patch. All the possibilities that Backbreaker represented, all the unique qualities that were designed to capture the intensity of being on the field--they nailed it.

When this game was originally released, the average Metacritic score was 54. I wrote this:
"This game is a 90 that was released in 65 condition."

I also listed these problems with the game:
--the CPU A.I. was utterly incompetent on offense, both passing and running.
--sacks and interceptions were far too high.
--incorrect rules interpretations.
--no accelerated clock.

There was actually quite a bit more than that, but by then I felt like I was piling on.

So what is the game like post-patch?
--the CPU offense is entirely competent
--sacks and interceptions are within normal range.
--rules errors have been corrected.

There's still no accelerated clock. Hey, so Santa only left a dozen presents. I can deal with that.

The CPU A.I. is occasionally a bit baffling in the last two minutes (particularly regarding the use of defensive timeouts), and sometimes the safeties are too passive on pass plays, but otherwise, the gameplay is entirely stellar. It's a 90 game in 90 condition now.

Let me be clear about this. It's not just that the broken parts of the game have been fixed. It's that this game absolutely soars, in a way that I don't remember seeing since ESPN NFL2K5.

Yes, I thought Madden was a better game last year, but I still remember how blown away I was the first time I saw NFL2K5 in 480P on the Xbox. It was incredibly vibrant and totally breathtaking.

In 2010, so it is with Backbreaker.

How much fun have I been having? I stopped trying to score an early copy of Madden. I'm still doing a slider project, but it just didn't seem nearly as important after a few hours of playing Backbreaker post-patch.

This game is obviously competing in the same demographic space as Madden, but it's important to understand that it offers an entirely different experience, because the camera is so close that it offers a significantly more authentic experience than the "God cam" of other football games. In Backbreaker, even with the slightly elevated passing camera post-patch, you learn to read receivers as they pass in-between other players. You learn to study the defense with extreme scrutiny pre-snap, because you can't see everyone post-snap--players will be blocked by other players, and you can't see the whole field in one glance. On defense, you learn to identify and remember how many receivers are on each side of the field, and on what side the tight end is lining up. You can get away with not doing that particularly well in Madden, because with one glance during the play, you can see everything.

In Backbreaker, you can't really get away with anything. Not anymore, anyway.

It's really impossible for me to describe how dynamic the action feels. The animation is just so convincing, and seems so unscripted, that it feels almost entirely real. In one play last night, I played as a middle linebacker, then fought through three players for an eventual quarterback sack. It was a coverage sack, really, but it was a huge rush to watch the replay and see my player fighting through those blockers in an extremely realistic manner.

It's also a huge rush to see receivers stretching the ball out on their way to the ground in an attempt to get a first down. There are so many little moments like this, and they all combine to create a terrifically immersive experience.

This is also the first game I've ever seen that truly captures the brutality of professional football without turning it into a cartoon. Hits in this game will make you wince because they look so real.

There are many examples of how Backbreaker makes you experience football in a different way, but here's one excellent example. It's always said that on offense, the left tackle may be the most important player on the field, because he protects the quarterback's blindside.

In Madden or NCAA, that doesn't mean anything, because there IS no blindside. There's no camera where you can't see trouble coming.

In Backbreaker, there damn sure is a blindside, and you better watch out. A button was added in the patch that lets you glance to the side away from your primary receiver, but believe me, it can only help so much.

The defense means to harm you.

This is why, as I played in Road To Backbreaker Mode, that when I accumulated enough credits to buy a free agent, I didn't look at a better quarterback or a skill position player.

I looked, first, at left tackle.

Now, if you want to play the game, listen to this next section carefully. First, you need to do the tutorials. Don't even think about skipping them--the controls are extremely intuitive, but practice is definitely needed. On defense, it will take time for you to feel comfortable swinging the camera with the right stick when the ball goes past you. I'm doing it quite easily now, though, and you will be as well. On offense, it will take time to be comfortable switching receivers during a play. Again, though, that will come with a little practice, and it is a far more satisfying feeling to complete passes in this challenging environment.

In short, a sensational effort.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #90
whomario
Pro Starter

I agree that it´s very fun now, rented it for 2 days post-patch and loved it. Won´t buy it just yet because i also love playing NCAA right now and there´s no time for another console game right now. But i´ll definitely pick it up at some point, propably in november or sth when the weather starts sucking consistently

The one thing that continues to bug me as that the game (on offense) feels slooooooow, mainly due to the very stiff animations (especially jukes are laughably stiff, but even running straight looks off) and the huge player models, but the QB play is extremely challenging (and rewarding) and playing defense is a blast.

And yeah, the tackling is really like a million times better than anything EA ever produced.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 08-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #91
Groundhog
Coordinator

I picked this up yesterday thanks to a gift voucher, and man, I really struggle with the camera view, going to take some getting used to. I completed all the tutorials and then created a team and started a "career mode" (can't remember their term for it). First game, lost 33-0... And it really wasn't even that close.

I was surprised to find that on D I actually enjoyed controlling the CBs the most, which is something I never do in Madden. Biggest problem I have is focusing entirely on the WR lined up opposite me and not noticing that the QB in fact handed the ball off 4 seconds ago...

On offense I completely suck balls. By the 4th Q I was starting to get the hang of controlling the QB and switching between the WRs, but I'm still woeful at running and didn't manage more than 3 yards on any rush, though few of my runs ended in positive yardage.

All in all though, I got to say I dig the game's style. Once I adapt to the camera angle and controls I think I'll really enjoy it.

Last edited by Groundhog : 08-24-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #92
WSR
Mascot

I picked this up last weekend, installed the NFL patch, and have been loving it all week. The animations, the "role" playing aspect of playing a certain player throughout the entire play (or game), the camera angle (yes, it does take some getting used to), all add to the experience IMHO.

It's not perfect, but it beats Madden 11 hands down for my money. I tried playing Madden 11 the other night, and found it unplayable. The animations and gameplay seem so contrived, it's not even close for me.

In all, I'm very happy with the purchase.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #93
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSR View Post
I picked this up last weekend, installed the NFL patch, and have been loving it all week. The animations, the "role" playing aspect of playing a certain player throughout the entire play (or game), the camera angle (yes, it does take some getting used to), all add to the experience IMHO.

It's not perfect, but it beats Madden 11 hands down for my money. I tried playing Madden 11 the other night, and found it unplayable. The animations and gameplay seem so contrived, it's not even close for me.

In all, I'm very happy with the purchase.

+1. It's a fantastic game now that they've made the necessary adjustments. Really glad they stuck with it.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #94
rjolley
College Starter

WSR: Tell me more about this NFL patch.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #95
WSR
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
WSR: Tell me more about this NFL patch.

It's a patch that updates the uniforms, logos, etc. and the team rosters to mirror the NFL. The latest version if V15 (I believe). The main person behind this effort has his own website Backbreaker NFL 11 along with a Youtube video on how to transfer the files. (I'm playing the XBOX version, but I believe there is a version floating around for the PS3 as well.)

Here is a link to a Youtube video that shows the final product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM40S...layer_embedded

Last edited by WSR : 09-11-2010 at 11:13 AM.
WSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #96
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Dammit...now I may have to look into finding a way to afford this...
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #97
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, I probably wasn't going to buy this, but the NFL patch might make me reconsider.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #98
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan View Post
Dammit...now I may have to look into finding a way to afford this...

It's available for $20 if you look around a bit. Well worth it at that price.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #99
RendeR
Coordinator

Still no PC version?

Still not interested.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #100
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Still no PC version?

Still not interested.

This. A game like this would be awesome on the PC.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote