Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Vote for each one that you consider to be a "real" sport, not just a competition
Baseball 94 83.19%
Golf 41 36.28%
Football 106 93.81%
Hockey 105 92.92%
Auto Racing 30 26.55%
Gymnastics 33 29.20%
Basketball 101 89.38%
Bowling 22 19.47%
Tennis 85 75.22%
Soccer 97 85.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2003, 12:55 PM   #51
Kodos
Resident Alien

Strange, but you're always one of the first people to post in my polls. If you dislike them so much, shouldn't you stay away from them? :P

Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 01:11 PM   #52
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I look forward to seeing what kind of ridiculous stuff you can come up with.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 01:13 PM   #53
Kodos
Resident Alien

So you want me to aim for ridiculous when starting polls. Okay. Note to self. More ridiculous polls... Got it.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:01 PM   #54
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rheumatic duck
The object in football is to impede someone from moving forward by inflicting some kind of physical harm that prevents them from moving further at the time. Same in hockey.
The object of hockey is to put the puck in the net. Its not to physically harm or stop somebody. A winner is defined by who scores the most goals. At the end of the game they dont add up which team inflected the most harm or impeded progress.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 03:59 PM   #55
Buzzbee
College Starter

Hey Brad!
Old 05-20-2003, 04:02 PM   #56
Buzzbee
College Starter

Dola

So based on the rules listed above, a round of golf between two people IS a sport, but the Masters Tournament isn't.

And how can tennis be a sport, but table tennis not be a sport, based on his rules? There is rapid self-locomotion in table tennis, just not over as much distance.

Sorry, but even HE can't get it right.

{Edited for proper Dola notation}

Last edited by Buzzbee : 05-20-2003 at 04:03 PM.
Buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 04:13 PM   #57
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
The successful completion of a playing session results in a win for one player or team and a loss for the other or a tie between the two players or teams.

In accordance with this definition, the following are sports:
Hockey
Good article, but apparently out-dated. Thanks to the league's marketing geniuses, NHL hockey would apparently no longer be a sport based on this guy's criteria.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 04:32 PM   #58
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
I think they show the Spelling Bee itself, but I do not recall it ever being highlighted on Sprtscenter.

I suppose I should have been a bit clearer in my thoughts above.

If a 'competition' claims to be a sport (which the Spelling Bee does not, but Auto Racing does) and it fits any part of the definition of sport (auto Racing is a race, therefore a sport), I don't have a problem with it.

In this world, the more sports we have the better.

I still would like to know why people feel the need to discount something as a sport, especially when the organization that governs the sports calls it a sport.

They show the winner spelling the final word, I know.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 04:53 PM   #59
Vince
Pro Starter

Perhaps I'm missing it, but why isn't Fencing a sport? As a Fencer, I object to this.

1) Individual Playing Session between two players or teams.
Well duh...it's one on one.

2) The completion of play results in a win, loss or tie.
Yup. See further down for clarification.

3) An integer score...blah blah blah.
Each Fencer scores a 'touch' when he hits the other fencer legally. This touch is guaged by electronic equipment that is nearly infallible. The only judgement required is whether rules of right of way were established...and I believe that distinction is equivalent to Umpires determining balls and strikes in baseball, or Refs determining fouls in Basketball.

4) Winner determined by said score
Yes, the person with the most touches when time expires, or the first person to 10 touches (varies depending upon the tournament) wins.

5) Regular Self-Propelled Locomotion
If you aren't moving in Fencing, you lose. Simple as that. I sweat more fencing than I do participating in any other sport.

6) Duration of the game limited by time or playing units.
Yes, there is usually a 10 minute play limit, or a limited number of touches.

7) Intention is not to physically harm someone.
Anyone thinking that the point of Fencing is to hurt someone is sadly mistaken...it is for sport, and tons of protective equipment is worn. It takes some doing to hurt someone with a Foil, Saber or Epee.

8) Solid Inanimate Object Status
Ok, this is the only place where Fencing might not be a sport...however, this rule is ridiculous. As someone has already pointed out, in Football at nearly all times, the ball is held by someone. I think that this is the weakest of his rules for determining a sport.

9) No animals other than humans.
Nope.

I think Fencing is definitely a sport. I might get reamed up and down for this, however, I think that most anyone who has ever fenced will agree with me.

I also question those of you who do not think that Baseball is a sport. What is your reasoning? I'm honestly curious.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 06:01 PM   #60
tucker342
Pro Starter

eh I beat this total in my first poll
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 06:24 PM   #61
Kodos
Resident Alien

eh I beat this total in my first poll

No one likes a gloater, Lisa. SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

Last edited by Kodos : 05-20-2003 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:31 AM   #62
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
Hey Brad!
Rookie.

I don't like the tone of this discussion at all, as in the end everybody starts throwing in arguments to 'save' their favorite sports (like baseball ).

However, one thing keeps coming back in these "What is a sports?" discussions, track and field is called a non-sport('normal' people call it athletics, which clarifies what 'athletes' actually are).

How can one not include the mother of sports in the list of all sports?
If you want to start a list of sports, one has to start there, at atheltics as a base.
I guess in the end all team sports not involving the handover of a 'stick' would end up at the non-sports list... (Like baseball, but also like soccer and my beloved volleyball.)
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote