Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2006, 07:58 AM   #51
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I am hooked as well on this show.

I am awaiting the introduction of the hero with the power of unbeatable in Text Sim football. Do you think there will be such a character? (awaits inevitable answer from a few forum members...)
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:29 AM   #52
Izulde
Head Coach

I honestly don't think the dialogue is that terrible. Yes it's a bit overdone in places and occasionally there's a few cliched bits, but some of it is absolutely freaking hilarious.

In particular I found the line "We're not special. We're Japanese!" hysterically funny, but maybe that's because I'm somewhat versed in Japanese history and culture.

Or maybe I'm just odd.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #53
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I guess I watched a different show than Revrew. I've found many of the characters and their situations compelling. The interaction between the two brothers and the questions over whether they need each other to fly, the interaction between the daughter and the father, given what we know about the father, Hiro's continual real comic book references. The weakest character so far I think is the cop, but then we really haven't got into his story too much yet. I like that actor who plays the cop though, so I hope he becomes more involved in the story. That ending was geektastic.

Honestly, in terms of the brothers, I'm much more interested in the potential triangle that's developing between the nurse brother, the artist, and the girl. There's a beaut of a source for conflict there.

Gah, I really hope we get Sci-Fi here. I'd love to see that second episode!

By the way, I didn't find the premiere drawn out at all. Although many call this a comic book series, I consider it to be a drama first, hero elements second. With the type of elaborate construction and setup of plot they're apparently planning, you need to take your time with it and build it up slowly so that you can give the threads depth and meaning and the eventual connexions make sense.

In terms of the musical score, it was hit and miss. Some of it I really liked and thought it fit the scenes really well. Other times I was like, "Eh, doesn't quite work here."

There's definitely a lot of promise in this series, though.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:44 AM   #54
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
In particular I found the line "We're not special. We're Japanese!" hysterically funny, but maybe that's because I'm somewhat versed in Japanese history and culture.

Or maybe I'm just odd.

I had forgotten about that one. That WAS good. Still, I didn't see the second episode for lack of interest after the first.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #55
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Great 2nd episode, kind of following everyone's life, developing all the characters a bit, and then.... reset. Really cool. I wonder how stuff is going to get all altered as a result. Because you know how things happened in this episode will not happen the same way after the reset. Or did all that stuff happen before Hiro went to New York and Hiro was just occupying the future for a while?

Basically, Hiro went from 10/2 to 11/8. My question is whether all the stuff with the other people happened before 10/2 (and Hiro's story was the only one in 11/8) or did that stuff happen before 11/8, which means it can be altered by Hiro's knowledge of the future?

Interesting questions...

i think he was just occupying the future. remember, Ali Larter's story happened all in the span of about 4 hours. we know this cause she apparently blacked out in the car when she called her son on her way to pick him up. so i think he was the lone "hero" in that future sequence.

did anyone happen to catch what Hiro's character was saying/doing in the unfinished comic book at the artist's loft? i can see they're definitely going for the "Lost" angle here, trying to throw in some small, easily missable stuff that you can only catch if you rewatch or become like a Lost groupie and try to be the first one to solve all the hidden puzzles. just wondering if that comic strip might've said anything, or was it just a comic/prophecy of Hiro walking into the loft?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #56
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I have a feeling that since the future is now known by two "hero's", the future will change. Although they showed a date of November 8th, they will alter stuff as time goes on to prolong it, sort of like the Terminator Series/Timeline plot.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #57
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i think he was just occupying the future. remember, Ali Larter's story happened all in the span of about 4 hours. we know this cause she apparently blacked out in the car when she called her son on her way to pick him up. so i think he was the lone "hero" in that future sequence.

Yeah, but the entirety of Larter's story could be between 10/2 and 11/8. We aren't ever told if Hiro's story (when it begins) is running concurrently with everyone else's, until he jumps to New York, or whether it is running before everyone else's until he jumps past everyone else's story.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #58
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
I have a feeling that since the future is now known by two "hero's", the future will change. Although they showed a date of November 8th, they will alter stuff as time goes on to prolong it, sort of like the Terminator Series/Timeline plot.

Well, I'd imagine so... otherwise it'd be a short run . And I think they need two heros to have seen it, so they can meet and realize that either of them isn't entirely crazy.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:19 AM   #59
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Well, I'd imagine so... otherwise it'd be a short run . And I think they need two heros to have seen it, so they can meet and realize that either of them isn't entirely crazy.

Not necessarily...look at 24. Although the series is set up on real time, so I guess my comparison sucks.

I wonder how much teleportation takes out of him, energy wise. I would just have him teleport back and forth between the future, find out who is responsible and how everything was set up, then stop it now. Eventhough that could take some time going back and forth, the current timeline could possibly stay on track for 5 weeks.

But I assume he has some limitations on his teleportation that are unknown.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #60
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, there definately is a lot about the powers we don't know about. Such as, can he control what time he can go to, or is it just how long it would take to get to a certain place (such as 5 weeks for NYC) and then he can go back to right before he did it?
Old 10-03-2006, 10:52 AM   #61
spleen1015
Coordinator

Did anyone else think that the guy laying on the floor when Hiro showed up was not Isaac, the artist dude he was there to see?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #62
Anthony
Banned

i thought it was him. i thought it was weird that the top of his head, like the frozen guy at the murder scene, was cut off and his brain removed. perhaps the frozen guy was a hero also, and whomever is going around chopping people's heads off are trying to collect their brains in order to harness their powers.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #63
Anthony
Banned

below is an email i sent to my friends (we're also talking about Heroes today). you may not want to read if you are easily offended:

Quote:
and btw, that cheerleader chick (who played the little girl from Remember the Titans) is now in my top 10. i was watching the show thinking about how much like flowers she would smell down there, and how it would be to feel my phallus gliding in and out of her moistened vagina.

fucking hot.

Last edited by Anthony : 10-03-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #64
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
i thought it was him. i thought it was weird that the top of his head, like the frozen guy at the murder scene, was cut off and his brain removed. perhaps the frozen guy was a hero also, and whomever is going around chopping people's heads off are trying to collect their brains in order to harness their powers.

This villain guy, Sylar, I think will be the person responsible for these killings. Maybe he realizes that something in the brain determines an aspect of a persons super ability? Anyone think that Sylar could be the cheerleaders dad?

Spoiler? However, Sylar is also an apparent murderer who uses his powers to freeze his victims solid. When found, his victims are usually seen with their heads sliced open horizontally at the center of their brain, which is missing.

Last edited by gottimd : 10-03-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #65
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
This villain guy, Sylar, I think will be the person responsible for these killings. Maybe he realizes that something in the brain determines an aspect of a persons super ability? Anyone think that Sylar could be the cheerleaders dad?

I think it could be.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #66
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
below is an email i sent to my friends (we're also talking about Heroes today). you may not want to read if you are easily offended:

Hahahaha! She is hot. She kind of reminds me of Ben Stillers wife, but a younger version.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #67
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hahahaha! She is hot. She kind of reminds me of Ben Stillers wife, but a younger version.

I'm not big on the 16 year old look.

Ali Larter on the other hand...
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #68
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post

Ali Larter on the other hand...

...is looking very aged. she was either a young looking woman who played a lot of teen roles in her movies or Father Time is having his way with her.

i'd fornicate w/ her, but she ain't the Ali Larter from Varsity Blues, that's all i'm saying.

Last edited by Anthony : 10-03-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #69
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
...is looking very aged. she was either a young looking woman who played a lot of teen roles in her movies or Father Time is having his way with her.

i'd fornicate w/ her, but she ain't the Ali Larter from Varsity Blues, that's all i'm saying.

Making a complete generalization based on your attraction to the cheerleader, it would seem that if you look 19 it's too old for you.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #70
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:

Spoiler? However, Sylar is also an apparent murderer who uses his powers to freeze his victims solid. When found, his victims are usually seen with their heads sliced open horizontally at the center of their brain, which is missing.
I thought it was fairly obvious that Sylar was probably Clea Duvall's character who arrested the telepathic cop. She seemed very suspicious of him and didn't even ask how he read her mind. I don't think it's the horn-rimmed glasses dad...he's probably the master villan and Sylar is the villan of this season.

Did anyone else think that the professor's neighbor girl is bad? Some of her looks were very dubious at best when Suresh was accessing his dad's thumbdrive.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:09 PM   #71
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Obvious that it was Clea DuVall's character?! I hadn't enough thought of it until you brought it up and I'm still not convinced. She had no idea he read her mind. And the voice on the machine was definately male.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #72
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Obvious that it was Clea DuVall's character?! I hadn't enough thought of it until you brought it up and I'm still not convinced. She had no idea he read her mind. And the voice on the machine was definately male.

I'll have to re-watch the episode, but I swear she thought something and he answered her thought.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #73
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I'll have to re-watch the episode, but I swear she thought something and he answered her thought.

He did... but she had no idea that he was answering her thought (because he just said "Yea" to it and she thought he was trying to emphasize his previous answer about knowing about Syler).
Old 10-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #74
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Damn, I just IMDB'd her hoping she was over 18. She is 17 as of a couple months ago.

She has been in a ton of crap though, including a voice in Bug's Life and a voice in the Kindom Hearts games.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #75
gkb
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I thought it was fairly obvious that Sylar was probably Clea Duvall's character who arrested the telepathic cop. She seemed very suspicious of him and didn't even ask how he read her mind. I don't think it's the horn-rimmed glasses dad...he's probably the master villan and Sylar is the villan of this season.

Did anyone else think that the professor's neighbor girl is bad? Some of her looks were very dubious at best when Suresh was accessing his dad's thumbdrive.

My wife and I were both suspicious of the professor's neighbor...
Old 10-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #76
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so, we're watching episode 2, and when the cop who can read thoughts comes on screen, my wife is like "who is that?". and I know, but can't place him.

later, we're in bed, almost asleep and it hits me. so I wake up my wife to proudly tell her that it was the pilot from Lost. she grumpily tells me she didn't mean the actor, she meant "on the show", as in, how come he wasn't in the first episode.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #77
Coop
High School JV

It was Greg Gunberg, he was also on Felicity and Alias. He was underused on alias for 4 seaons but anyway..While watching the show i was thinking maybe the one brother can 'steal' other people's powers. Something like Rogue but he doesnt hurt that person. He did mention about having a connection to his brother, he started to fly when he was near his brother twice.. am I just looking too much into this because of Lost? heh

Edit:I forgot something else, after he came into contact with the painter.. When he was in the hospital he drew the picture with him floating and his brother watching on the rooftop.

Last edited by Coop : 10-03-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #78
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Edit:I forgot something else, after he came into contact with the painter.. When he was in the hospital he drew the picture with him floating and his brother watching on the rooftop.

I don't think that really counts. He was drawing what he remembered of the incident, not a future event. Unless you are talking about his artistic ability, but wasn't he drawing stick figures?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #79
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb View Post
My wife and I were both suspicious of the professor's neighbor...
the girl is cute, like a poor man's Rachel Bilson. She was sexy, but annoying in Brick.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #80
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
the girl is cute, like a poor man's Rachel Bilson. She was sexy, but annoying in Brick.

She will probably just be an annoying sidekick.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:59 PM   #81
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think that really counts. He was drawing what he remembered of the incident, not a future event. Unless you are talking about his artistic ability, but wasn't he drawing stick figures?

no, the incident he drew happened after he drew it. the roguelike power makes a lot of sense. I also can't help thinking his brother is going to end up being one of the bad guys, pitting them against each other.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #82
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
no, the incident he drew happened after he drew it. the roguelike power makes a lot of sense. I also can't help thinking his brother is going to end up being one of the bad guys, pitting them against each other.

Is it because the brother is a politician?

And as a couple guys said, I too thought the neighbor chick was bad.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #83
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
no, the incident he drew happened after he drew it.

I am confused. I thought he called his brother to the alley, jumped, his brother flew and sort of caught him and dropped him. That is how he ended up in the hospital, and he was doodling that on a pad of paper.

Then later in the show, he just levitated basically in front of his brother as he walked closer to him off of the ledge of a building. Levitated without realizing until his brother said something. I didnt think that is what he was drawing, I thought he was drawing the event that got him in the hospital.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:28 PM   #84
Coop
High School JV

Quote:
Then later in the show, he just levitated basically in front of his brother as he walked closer to him off of the ledge of a building. Levitated without realizing until his brother said something. I didnt think that is what he was drawing, I thought he was drawing the event that got him in the hospital.

No he was drawing the second event
Old 10-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #85
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:

Anyone got the picture?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #86
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Also recall the way they had a lingering shot of the sketch later on, kind of a semi-overt suggestion that it was significant.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #87
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Anyone got the picture?

Paging Flere.

I'm not at all convinced that the horned rimmed guy is Sylar. I'm not even necesarilly on board with him being evil. I do think he adopted the cheerleader after her mutie parents were killed though. Now I'm not sure how tied to the "bad guys" he is.

There is no way the female cop is Sylar. I believe that was a total misinterpretation of what happened in the scene.

I'm on board with Sylar using the professor's theories to identify "specials" and then harvesting their brains or somesuch.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #88
jbmagic
Pro Starter

You can now watch the 2nd episode here.

http://www.nbc.com/Video/rewind/full...s/?show=heroes
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:57 PM   #89
Izulde
Head Coach

Things are -really- getting interesting.

I don't suspect the professor's neighbour at all. The cheerleader's dad just oozes sliminess though and he has to be a villian of some sort.

It's my impression that we haven't encountered the real Sylar yet, but that he'll appear in future episodes.

It's certainly not the detective. I agree that those who accuse her are misreading the scene.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:27 AM   #90
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
did anyone happen to catch what Hiro's character was saying/doing in the unfinished comic book at the artist's loft? i can see they're definitely going for the "Lost" angle here, trying to throw in some small, easily missable stuff that you can only catch if you rewatch or become like a Lost groupie and try to be the first one to solve all the hidden puzzles. just wondering if that comic strip might've said anything, or was it just a comic/prophecy of Hiro walking into the loft?

It is a bit blurry but you should be able to make out the "Today is November 8" in the middle panel. So it was forshadowing the end of the ep.

Here's the sketch the brother did;

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:11 AM   #91
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

dola

There's also an appearance of a symbol (DNA-ish) in a few shots (pic borrowed from another forum)

I guess it is this show's Lost numbers.

Fire Ron Lee.

Last edited by TazFTW : 10-04-2006 at 05:13 AM.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:51 AM   #92
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just read an article on AOL that I would post if it wasn't completely useless in information-we already know what's mentioned in it, with one exception. They spoke to three of the actors-the professor's son, the cheerleader, and the stripper. We've been talking about what exactly in the stripper's power and she goes into more detail about it.

"What's in store for your character? Ali Larter: Well I'm going to have to start dealing with the other side of my personality. And its going to put me in situations where I may have to break the law. I'm going to deal with that and possibly the seperating of my personalities and figuring out how to bring the two together."

So it looks like she has multiple personalities, and I'm beginning to think the mirrors are just the visual cue for her change to the evil personality, the one that apparantly has powers.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:08 AM   #93
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Paging Flere.

I'm not at all convinced that the horned rimmed guy is Sylar. I'm not even necesarilly on board with him being evil. I do think he adopted the cheerleader after her mutie parents were killed though. Now I'm not sure how tied to the "bad guys" he is.

There is no way the female cop is Sylar. I believe that was a total misinterpretation of what happened in the scene.

I'm on board with Sylar using the professor's theories to identify "specials" and then harvesting their brains or somesuch.

I'm pretty much on board with all of this. remember in the first episode, the horned rim guy was in the apartment talking to someone else on the phone. I don't imagine an evil mastermind would need to check in with his boss. and I too am not convinced he's even bad - he strikes me more as a govt type...maybe an AD Skinner-type of sometime reluctant helper, sometime thorn in the side.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 AM   #94
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
so, we're watching episode 2, and when the cop who can read thoughts comes on screen, my wife is like "who is that?". and I know, but can't place him.

This kind of stuff drives me crazy...

For me it was the other cheerleader that took claim for rescueing the guy from the fire.. I checked IMDB and she's not listed in the episode 2 cast.. anyone have any idea what her name is or what else she has been in? It drives me crazy when I can't figure it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:36 AM   #95
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
I'm pretty much on board with all of this. remember in the first episode, the horned rim guy was in the apartment talking to someone else on the phone. I don't imagine an evil mastermind would need to check in with his boss. and I too am not convinced he's even bad - he strikes me more as a govt type...maybe an AD Skinner-type of sometime reluctant helper, sometime thorn in the side.

i don't think he's bad either. first rule of tv/movies is the most obvious person to be the bad guy isn't. can't have a surprise twist if the evil guy is revealed in the first episode.

and to be honest - he really hasn't done anything bad or evil, unless you count the evil, threatening music that usually plays in the background while he's on the screen. that doesn't necessarily mean he's evil. but to date - he's done nothing to be considered evil or a threat.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:52 AM   #96
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well he did get all creepy in the Indian dude's cab.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:14 AM   #97
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I think he is like an X-files type government character as well. Maybe he is on the trail of this Sylar guy and it has led him into the world of these superhero's. He is just trying to figure out the who's and how's, but I guess the writers want to make him look evil. Just my guess though.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #98
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

also, the chick neighbor doesn't strike me as evil. just fodder to be killed off
Old 10-04-2006, 08:31 AM   #99
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
also, the chick neighbor doesn't strike me as evil. just fodder to be killed off

I agree, see post #80. Probably will learn enough for Sylar to kill her. She is like a redshirt.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:39 AM   #100
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I agree, see post #80. Probably will learn enough for Sylar to kill her. She is like a redshirt.

Wasn't she actually wearing a red shirt?