Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #51
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

woah, yeah flabby calves don't provide a nice feeling, or so I would think

FM
PS: do you need a Ryan Reynolds picture to help you run with more conviction?

FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #52
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
I have a fabulous sports bra. I highly recommend this bra by Under Armor. It does give me an unattractive uniboob, but these puppies don't move at all so I don't care how I look.

I was about to order one for the fiancee' (she was saying just last night that she won't run on the treadmill because it hurts her boobs too much) until I saw the pricetag. $42 for a sportsbra? Damn!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #53
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
woah, yeah flabby calves don't provide a nice feeling, or so I would think

FM
PS: do you need a Ryan Reynolds picture to help you run with more conviction?

hehehe no, thanks. I have the pic Antmeister photoshopped for me. I take it with me to the gym and stick it over the display so I can't see how much time is left. That does the trick.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #54
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I was about to order one for the fiancee' (she was saying just last night that she won't run on the treadmill because it hurts her boobs too much) until I saw the pricetag. $42 for a sportsbra? Damn!

Well considering the dental work would be in the hundreds of dollars if they weren't securely fastened....
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #55
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

dude, think that you're investing for the future. You're about to marry the lady, meaning you could well be with her for the rest of your life on this planet. That's many years in the future...

FM
Old 05-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #56
JeeberD
General Manager

Excellent point, FM...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #57
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Wow, I didn't realize there were this many other runners on here until doing a search.

I have a question for those who have experience racing longer distances.
I want to run two half marathons this fall. Right now the two I'm looking at running are three weeks apart. Do you think that's enough recovery time to race well in both?

I'm in okay shape right now (ran 50 miles last week with 14 miles being my longest run of the summer so far) so I can finish both, but I want to schedule my half marathons such that I have a realistic shot at running faster in the second one that I run. Five miles/8 kilometers is the longest I've ever raced although I plan on racing a couple 10Ks and one 15K before I run the half marathons.

My goal is to eventually at least qualify for Boston and hopefully break 3 hours in the marathon. I'm doubting that I can get in that kind of shape by mid to late October when most of the marathons are run so that's why I'm looking at doing two half marathons instead.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #58
Subby
lolzcat

Three weeks is plenty of time. I would just do a lot less of a taper for your first half than you normally would. Treat that first half marathon as a hard training run and then start tapering for the second hm.

Good luck!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #59
digamma
Torchbearer

Three weeks is plenty of time for two halfs. I know an idiot who ran three on three successive weekends last fall.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #60
digamma
Torchbearer

In all seriousness, I completely agree with what Subby wrote.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #61
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I just finished running 3 miles 20 minutes ago. I did some weight training this morning. I was feeling pretty good about myself until Mr. Two Half Marathons came along.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #62
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Hahaha, I know how you feel Cringer, I've recently done a couple 10k's, and plan on running my first half-marathon next spring/summer. Now I feel like I should be sent back to lazy town or something.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #63
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Yeah, I just ran my first 5K on Sunday...and already feel like sloth for not tackling a bigger fish.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #64
Pyser
Pro Rookie

sometimes you see a thread get bumped that you have no recollection of, and see you posted in it, and just want to see what you could possibly have said about, oh, i dont know, marathons.

so i found it. and, (sigh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
this thread makes my nipples hurt

now i know how i finally cracked 3k.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #65
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Three weeks is plenty of time. I would just do a lot less of a taper for your first half than you normally would. Treat that first half marathon as a hard training run and then start tapering for the second hm.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Three weeks is plenty of time for two halfs. I know an idiot who ran three on three successive weekends last fall.

Thanks for your input guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I just finished running 3 miles 20 minutes ago. I did some weight training this morning. I was feeling pretty good about myself until Mr. Two Half Marathons came along.

You should feel bad about yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Hahaha, I know how you feel Cringer, I've recently done a couple 10k's, and plan on running my first half-marathon next spring/summer. Now I feel like I should be sent back to lazy town or something.

To date, you've raced farther then I ever have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
Yeah, I just ran my first 5K on Sunday...and already feel like sloth for not tackling a bigger fish.

Nothing wrong with that. I ran cross country in high school and was fortunate enough to be able to run cross country and track in college even though I was pretty bad relative to other NCAA runners. All the running I've done over the years has allowed me to develop a lot of cardiovascular endurance so I think running longer distances is easier for me then it would be for most people. I've decided race longer distances primarily because running a PR in the 5K or 8K seems more daunting at this point then running a time I can be happy with in the half marathon (Plus all I have to do in order to get a PR is finish ). Plus it's a new challenge for me.

Last edited by Racer : 07-15-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #66
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Awesome to hear Racer, I was just being sarcastic, I think what you're doing is fantastic.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #67
hhiipp
College Prospect

TK was talking about shoes, but hasn't it been proven you have to be kenyan and shoeless to win a marathon? So dump the New Balance and go barefoot.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #68
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Ran my first marathon today in Columbus, OH and qualified for Boston! Very pumped.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #69
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Ran my first marathon today in Columbus, OH and qualified for Boston! Very pumped.

It's one thing to finish, but qualifying for Boston is awesome Racer. Congrats!
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #70
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Good job, Racer! Completely badass.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #71
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

See you in the online registration queue tomorrow morning. Congrats!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #72
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Wow, that is impressive! Do you mind if I ask what time you ran to qualify? I'm guessing somewhere around or under 3:30?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 10-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #73
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Wow, that is impressive! Do you mind if I ask what time you ran to qualify? I'm guessing somewhere around or under 3:30?

As I recall, Racer is my age-ish, so less than 3:11. He would have to be over 45 years old for a 3:30 to suffice.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #74
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Only one of the 4,106 marathon finishers self-identified from Muncie -- so if that's Racer he ran 3:07:16.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #75
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Wow, that is crazy fast!!
Old 10-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #76
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

Quote:
See you in the online registration queue tomorrow morning. Congrats!

If you were planning to run in 2011, hope that you got registered today. There were some major glitches this morning, but I got in after about an hour of trying.

And now, registration has closed in record time, approximately 8 hours. (Last year it took about 4 weeks.)
Old 10-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #77
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn View Post
Then run with me! We could form an FOFC marathon team....

Ok yes I realize how funny that was...

Great once you get about 50 others I will join and we can make it a relay.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:43 AM   #78
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
Only one of the 4,106 marathon finishers self-identified from Muncie -- so if that's Racer he ran 3:07:16.

Yes. I'm definitely happy with my time. Long term I'd like to break 3 hours. It'll be tough to achieve, but definitely something to shoot for.

Quote:
If you were planning to run in 2011, hope that you got registered today. There were some major glitches this morning, but I got in after about an hour of trying.

And now, registration has closed in record time, approximately 8 hours. (Last year it took about 4 weeks.)

I heard from a former undergrad teammate who works for Runners World that it might fill in a day so I made sure I registered. I also had problems in the morning and wasn't able to register until a little before noon.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #79
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Yes. I'm definitely happy with my time. Long term I'd like to break 3 hours. It'll be tough to achieve, but definitely something to shoot for.

That was going to be my Boston goal (3:08:08 qualifier), but having a kid this summer has really slowed my running. May just have fun with it and try to run 3:30 or so.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #80
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

With all the talk of nipple and thigh chafing back then, I can't believe I didn't mention a fomer co-worker who ran a marathon in Alabama during December or January and it was so cold, he didn't notice/feel the bleeding between his legs and ended up rubbing a good portion of skin off his, uh, privates. He finished the marathon...in a pool of blood.

Enjoy your dinners!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #81
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

One of these days... one of these days.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #82
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That was going to be my Boston goal (3:08:08 qualifier), but having a kid this summer has really slowed my running.

Dude, leave the kid at home! You'll run faster.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #83
digamma
Torchbearer

Racer, you ready to do this?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #84
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So glad I don't have to work Monday, the EMC lots are overflow for the Marathon (they bus people over to the Common from them)
Old 04-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #85
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Wait - anyone running Boston this year??

Let me know and I'll come out with a FOFC-centric sign for you right at the halfway point (where my office is).
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #86
digamma
Torchbearer

Yes.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #87
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

WOOHOO digamma!!!

I'll have to do up a sign then - something referencing FOFC or digamma.

My office is literally like 50yds from the halfway marker (the mat that you'll run over in the middle of Wellesley right after the college). I'll see about taking up position either right before or right after the halfway mat on the left side (left as you're running).

Do you want anything? Runners snack or anything?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #88
digamma
Torchbearer

Beer?

Nah, I should be good--carry my own energy gels and stuff. I'll look out for the sign. Not sure what I'll be running in--weather dependent.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #89
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Beer?

Nah, I should be good--carry my own energy gels and stuff. I'll look out for the sign. Not sure what I'll be running in--weather dependent.

Alright - sounds good!

Forecast is good (I think?): Mostly sunny, highs in the upper 50's. We'll see how windy - I guess that matters a ton.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-15-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #90
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Racer, you ready to do this?

Came here to bump this thread today and saw there have been a lot of messages in it the last few days. Leaving for Boston tomorrow!

Overall, I'm in better shape than I was going into my first marathon. I've done more speed work (speed is my weakness) and I'm running my mile repeats 15 to 20 seconds faster on average than I was going into Columbus. Muncie, IN has no hills though so I'm not really prepared for the course per se. If Boston was flat like Columbus, I'd probably go out in just under 3 hour pace (6:52 mile pace) and see what happens. Since it's Boston and I haven't done any hill workouts, I'll try to at least PR and maybe shoot for sub 3:04:00 (7:01 mile pace). I ran 3:07:16 at Columbus (7:09 mile pace).

On a side note, two people I know have had setbacks going into this. The girl I'm flying out with and staying with in Boston has strep throat and a fever currently and one of my friends from my undergrad days hurt his knee a couple weeks ago and hasn't been able to run much since. I feel bad for both of them. I'm completely healthy going in though.

Last edited by Racer : 04-15-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #91
digamma
Torchbearer

Which corral are you in?

I am #3905 in Corral 4.

I would be thrilled to run 3:08 again, but I think the low 3:10's is probably more realistic. I haven't gotten the speed workouts in that I did prior to my qualifier, but my long runs were over tougher routes and went pretty well. We'll see.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #92
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Which corral are you in?

I am #3905 in Corral 4.

I would be thrilled to run 3:08 again, but I think the low 3:10's is probably more realistic. I haven't gotten the speed workouts in that I did prior to my qualifier, but my long runs were over tougher routes and went pretty well. We'll see.

I'm Corral 4 also. #3599.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #93
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Came here to bump this thread today and saw there have been a lot of messages in it the last few days. Leaving for Boston tomorrow!

Overall, I'm in better shape than I was going into my first marathon. I've done more speed work (speed is my weakness) and I'm running my mile repeats 15 to 20 seconds faster on average than I was going into Columbus. Muncie, IN has no hills though so I'm not really prepared for the course per se. If Boston was flat like Columbus, I'd probably go out in just under 3 hour pace (6:52 mile pace) and see what happens. Since it's Boston and I haven't done any hill workouts, I'll try to at least PR and maybe shoot for sub 3:04:00 (7:01 mile pace). I ran 3:07:16 at Columbus (7:09 mile pace).

On a side note, two people I know have had setbacks going into this. The girl I'm flying out with and staying with in Boston has strep throat and a fever currently and one of my friends from my undergrad days hurt his knee a couple weeks ago and hasn't been able to run much since. I feel bad for both of them. I'm completely healthy going in though.

You want anything at the halfway point Racer? Energy gels or anything? Like I told digamma, my office is literally 50yds from the halfway point so I'll plan to setup shop either right before or right after halfway point on the left side of the street (as you're running).

Guess I'll be making a "REPRESENT: FOFC!!! GO RACER AND DIGAMMA" sign! Be great if you guys just gimme some acknowledgement as you go by (if you happen to notice me), so once you're both past I can head back to work (he says selfishly). Regardless, I'll probably see the elite runners and then watch for a couple hours more, so I'm likely to catch you.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-15-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #94
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Thanks. DT. I should be okay. I believe they have an energy gel station around there - mile 16 or 17 so I'll get mine then. I'll definitely acknowledge a FOFC sign if I see it.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #95
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Many years ago, my dad roughly ran about what you guys did(a shade over 3hours). He said he was most suprised about how long you ended up running just to get to the starting line, and how it wasn't so bad once you got passed the initial mile which was crammed with people.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #96
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Good marathoning day. Course record (and WR) shattered by the Kenyans - although it won't stand as a WR due to the course (a shame). Actually the top 4 men all finished inside of last year's course record.

I do believe I saw our FOFC guys motoring past in good time, and I think they saw me? There was definitely one darker-haired guy in all-black who gave me a double thumbs-up as he was going under the halfway banner and looked back over at me I thought, and then there was a ginger who gave me an enthusiastic thumbs-up a lil later.

There were a couple others I thought maybe, but those were my top 2 thoughts. Was that you guys? And more importantly, how did you find the race?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #97
digamma
Torchbearer

I had on a grey shirt and navy shorts. Could have looked black by then. I yelled Welcome to Hollywood to you and gave you some sort of thumbs up which you seemed to acknowledge.

Still processing everything and will have to post more reactions later. I ended up running 3:14.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #98
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I had on a grey shirt and navy shorts. Could have looked black by then. I yelled Welcome to Hollywood to you and gave you some sort of thumbs up which you seemed to acknowledge.

Still processing everything and will have to post more reactions later. I ended up running 3:14.

Yeah - it probably looked black by then. Haha!!

Like I said - I definitely had like 3-4 people I thought you guys could be, because once I ran into my parents and my father started yelling encouragement to people we got a lot more responses, but I definitely recall that (although to be honest I probably didn't hear what you yelled or I would have reacted even more).

That's cool though - as long as it gave you some sort of like...encouragement that's all that really matters.

3:14 is great - congrats digamma!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #99
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

awesome!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #100
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

You were right behind a friend of mine who did 3:11. An amazing acomplishment, hearty congrats!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote