cougin it early on!

Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #52
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
North Dakota State in Ames is Bugging Andy | whotv.com

This video is well done and has goaded enough NDSU fans into becoming stark raving lunatics. It's all clearly tongue in cheek and funny as hell.

Great video. I laughed through the whole thing. Being from Iowa and hating the Cyclowns, I enjoyed it tremendously.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #53
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Well, the Boise State QB has only had two passes hit the dirt. 14/19 and 3 INTs

Hedrick has no business as a starting QB playing like this. Same terrible decision making as last year. BSU hung in for a while, but this was inevitable.

People need to realize that the Broncos were overachieving with Peterson and last year was just a prelude to what will probably become more common with this program outside of the MWC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #54
General Mike
Pro Starter

R-U Rah Rah!

General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #55
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I am surprised that Rutgers answered right back after the WSU scored. Very unlike teams of the past few years! Me likey!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #56
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, I spoke too soon... it's just no defense on either side time.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #57
Lonnie
High School Varsity

No A&M love? Kevin Hill was a bad ass today. Gig'em!
Old 08-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #58
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

And just because their last game was several months ago, the Cougs decided to remind folks why the term "Coug'n it" was created. There's nothing like seeing one of your main rivals blow a game, especially when they do it playing in their rivals home town.

Go Huskies!
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:57 AM   #59
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
No A&M love? Kevin Hill was a bad ass today. Gig'em!

I know it's early, but you might want to learn his name. It's Kenny Hill.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:17 AM   #60
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Kevin Sumlin is the bad ass and folks are starting to figure it out.
On a related note, the fill ins on Mike and Mike just discussed how SC wasnt overrated, but A&M were under rated..."since they play in the SEC they bring in new players every year" (what does that even mean?) and that they think SC should "probably be ranked around 12th while A&M moves up to 9th"
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:38 AM   #61
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Kevin Sumlin is the bad ass and folks are starting to figure it out.
On a related note, the fill ins on Mike and Mike just discussed how SC wasnt overrated, but A&M were under rated..."since they play in the SEC they bring in new players every year" (what does that even mean?) and that they think SC should "probably be ranked around 12th while A&M moves up to 9th"

Yes, but you knew that was going to happen.

Despite the fact that anyone who pays attention to South Carolina football knew that them being in the top 10 was a joke, let alone them being named as a good candidate for the playoff.

They are really going to feel the loss of Connor Shaw and Clowney this year. Even though Clowney struggled last year, he still ate up two blockers every play.

Plus, SCAR is going through transition to a new defensive coordinator, and we all see how THAT worked out last night.

That said, I was really impressed with TAMU. But being so early, it's hard to know how much of that was no defense on the SCAR side, and how much was quality play on the TAMU side. That's why these preseason rankings are a joke. Give them a couple of games to play, then we can start to see where everyone shakes out.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:40 AM   #62
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Does Boise State return to obscurity now?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #63
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
That's why these preseason rankings are a joke. Give them a couple of games to play, then we can start to see where everyone shakes out.

Agreed..but ESPN has a vested interest in certain teams and will try to write the story instead of report it...
Old 08-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #64
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
And just because their last game was several months ago, the Cougs decided to remind folks why the term "Coug'n it" was created. There's nothing like seeing one of your main rivals blow a game, especially when they do it playing in their rivals home town.

Go Huskies!

+1000

As a lifelong Rutgers fan, my Dad wen there and I grew up 20 minutes from campus, and a Washington alum, last night couldn't have gone better.

Really wish I still lived in Seattle, would have loved to go to that game. Dad and I already have plans to come out for the Rutgers- UW game in a couple years.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #65
MrBug708
Head Coach

Cant believe the Cougs lost that game
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #66
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Cant believe the Cougs lost that game

How can any PAC 12 fan be surprised by anything the Cougs do?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #67
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I know it's early, but you might want to learn his name. It's Kenny Hill.

I might have had a few beers before that post and morphed Sumlin and Hill together into a mega beast.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Agreed..but ESPN has a vested interest in certain teams and will try to write the story instead of report it...

In fariness to ESPN, preseason rankings have been around far longer than they have ... and people would get those wrong too.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #69
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yes, but you knew that was going to happen.

Despite the fact that anyone who pays attention to South Carolina football knew that them being in the top 10 was a joke, let alone them being named as a good candidate for the playoff.

They are really going to feel the loss of Connor Shaw and Clowney this year. Even though Clowney struggled last year, he still ate up two blockers every play.

Plus, SCAR is going through transition to a new defensive coordinator, and we all see how THAT worked out last night.

That said, I was really impressed with TAMU. But being so early, it's hard to know how much of that was no defense on the SCAR side, and how much was quality play on the TAMU side. That's why these preseason rankings are a joke. Give them a couple of games to play, then we can start to see where everyone shakes out.

To be fair, SC had very few seniors on last year's team and were returning a bunch of players. Replacing QBs is always a tricky thing though. Hell, Sims somehow has won out at 'Bama so far, and I have yet to see anything that gives me confidence in the guy.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #70
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Old 08-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #71
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
To be fair, SC had very few seniors on last year's team and were returning a bunch of players. Replacing QBs is always a tricky thing though. Hell, Sims somehow has won out at 'Bama so far, and I have yet to see anything that gives me confidence in the guy.

Wait...they lost 8 starters off last years team. and 16 off the 2 deep.
They lost the #1 overall draft pick. Plus 3 other NFL draft picks off the Defense.
Their best QB in school history and their most productive WR in school history.

And they were ranked 9th.

That was a joke...and most (I think) knew it going in.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #72
tarcone
Coordinator

Welcome to the B1G, Rutgers. Keep beating the Pac.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #73
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They lost the #1 overall draft pick. Plus 3 other NFL draft picks off the Defense.

I had 'em 8th.

They lost a player that showed as little heart as any I've ever watched.

They replaced their best QB in history with a senior backup that had played major minutes in wins at UCF and at Missouri last year, in wins at Clemson and over Michigan in a bowl game two years ago

The WR was gone but a nearly 1,200 yard rusher returned, as did three receivers with significant experience, plenty of catches & yards & touchdowns between them.

Last night was an egg of epic proportions. Maybe that's the real SC but if so, it's not one that was easily foreseeable.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #74
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Returning 7 on a side is still decent and that's what they were doing on average. This was as good of a SC team they have had under Spurrier or at least that was the thinking. They also were as good of a pick to make the SEC title game as anybody in the East.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #75
Butter
Coordinator

The SEC East is now what the SEC West was in the late 90s... A sad and much weaker division than the other side. I think we are going to learn similar things about Georgia on Saturday.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #76
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The SEC East is now what the SEC West was in the late 90s... A sad and much weaker division than the other side. I think we are going to learn similar things about Georgia on Saturday.

Two of the top 5 teams in last year's final poll were in that division.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #77
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm not going to argue since SCar is definitely overrated but assuming you are a Clemson fan I would probably not get too angry at a preseason treatment your school also enjoys every year while never really doing anything to deserve it. Plus haven't you lost like 6 in a row to them?

Last edited by panerd : 08-29-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #78
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'd love for you to be right but, honestly, I think this is the most dangerous Georgia team in a number of years.

If they don't outsmart themselves offensively (which they've done in the past) and if they finally have a DC that can get even 80% performance out of their athletes on defense, they could be downright scary.

And anybody who knows me knows how it disgusts me to say that.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #79
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sparty nation holding their breath right now. There QB took an ugly hit to the knee and was carried off.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #80
molson
General Manager

It was pretty disappointing to learn that DirecTV, which I, and probably many others, hold onto only for sports, does not have a deal with ESPN to let customers access the ESPN device apps. My internet provider gives me ESPN3 access on my desktop, but not on my roku or tablet. And the desktop live streaming version of ESPN3 has no DVR function, and won't even let me go full screen. So I'm watching Syracuse/Villanova on a tiny window on my desktop monitor.

I guess I shouldn't really complain, it's pretty crazy that I can watch this hugely obscure game across the country at all. But if I can't do it easily, it makes it much easier to cut the cord.

Last edited by molson : 08-29-2014 at 06:47 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #81
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'd love for you to be right but, honestly, I think this is the most dangerous Georgia team in a number of years.

If they don't outsmart themselves offensively (which they've done in the past) and if they finally have a DC that can get even 80% performance out of their athletes on defense, they could be downright scary.

And anybody who knows me knows how it disgusts me to say that.

Gurley is a hell of a player, but they are missing some other key offensive players and have never been great shakes on defense. But we shall see tomorrow.... That's why they play the games.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #82
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I'm not going to argue since SCar is definitely overrated but assuming you are a Clemson fan I would probably not get too angry at a preseason treatment your school also enjoys every year while never really doing anything to deserve it. Plus haven't you lost like 6 in a row to them?

Uh hh..what?!?

Three years in row Clemson has ended the season ranked 5+ positions higher than they started it.
And yes Clemson has list FIVE in a row to SC....but that is also my point. After out gaining SC almost 2:1 but losing on 6 turnovers. Clemson lost much less than SC, doesn't play the mighty SEC schedule and starts the season 8 positions below SC.

SC run the last few years was built on the brains and talent evaluations largely of Ellis Johnson, and the S&c genius of coach Fitz. We are now two years removed from both bolting ...

Not to mention Brad Lawing who developed all those D linemen headed to Florida and took his probation causing bag with him.

They have also benefitted from the biggest simultaneous ineptitude of UF and UT in SEC history.

SC will win 7 games this year in my opinion....and less next year.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 08-29-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #83
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Gurley is a hell of a player, but they are missing some other key offensive players and have never been great shakes on defense. But we shall see tomorrow.... That's why they play the games.

Pruitt will do wonders with that defense, but not in week 1.
Have to think Chad Morris is licking his chops looking at that secondary, and having a more accurate and patient QB...

Plus arguably the best and inarguably the deepest dline in the nation...tomorrow night could be fun.

I'll be there either way. I'm not ready to predict a Clemson win, but when I got +10 three weeks ago I made a play...the line is now down to 7.5 and I think that is too high...but Vegas puts about 5.5 points on Athens...so 2 is probably fair
Old 08-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #84
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Uh hh..what?!?

Three years in row Clemson has ended the season ranked 5+ positions higher than they started it.
And yes Clemson has list FIVE in a row to SC....but that is also my point. After out gaining SC almost 2:1 but losing on 6 turnovers. Clemson lost much less than SC, doesn't play the mighty SEC schedule and starts the season 8 positions below SC.

SC run the last few years was built on the brains and talent evaluations largely of Ellis Johnson, and the S&c genius of coach Fitz. We are now two years removed from both bolting ...

Not to mention Brad Lawing who developed all those D linemen headed to Florida and took his probation causing bag with him.

They have also benefitted from the biggest simultaneous ineptitude of UF and UT in SEC history.

SC will win 7 games this year in my opinion....and less next year.

I think you are mistaking my comments as either pro South Carolina or pro SEC. You made a comment that SC (and the entire SEC) are a product of ESPN hype. My response was to be careful because anyone outside the Clemson fan base will tell you that your school is national title hyped every year by the same network. You get the exact same overhype that you laugh at when SC gets it.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #85
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Two of the top 5 teams in last year's final poll were in that division.

Yes, you are right about last year... I forgot Mizzou was over there. But this year, I predict that only 1 of the 7 teams on that side will finish in the top 25 (prior to bowl season).
Old 08-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #86
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
My response was to be careful because anyone outside the Clemson fan base will tell you that your school is national title hyped every year by the same network. You get the exact same overhype that you laugh at when SC gets it.

Really? The first time I can remember Clemson getting any national respect was after beating LSU in the 2012 Peach Bowl... then the following season (last year), they were talked about as a contender. Before that it was nothing but "Clemsoning"... let's see how Clemson can blow it this year!

But if you think being preseason ranked #16 and zero out of 23 ESPN predictors picking Clemson to make the 4 team playoff as being "national title hyped", then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #87
Butter
Coordinator

Holy crap, UCF looks lost on offense without Blake Bortles. I think they have less than 50 yards of offense halfway through the third quarter.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #88
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That was an exciting end to the UCF-Penn State game. UCF scored a touchdown after converting a 4th and 10 with an incredible catch, and Penn State drives down and kicks the winning FG as time expires.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #89
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not so much necromancing this sub-topic as finally getting around to doing something I meant to do when I first saw this post

The totally not actual AP (etc) voters top 25s here at FOFC had SC in the following positions in the pre-season:

5, 12, 10, 8, 9, 7, 10, 9 ... for an aggregate of 9

That's exactly the same spot that 60 AP voters and 62 USA Today voters put them.

We may have all been wrong about them, but I'm pretty sure that's a sign that there was indeed a strong consensus belief about them.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #90
BillJasper
Pro Starter

UCLA having a tough time blocking the Virginia front four.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #91
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
UCLA having a tough time blocking the Virginia front four.

It's the blitzing they can't pick up, but they are missing four OL from last year so it'sbeen a rough going.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #92
BillJasper
Pro Starter

It's the UCLA defense that ends up breaking the game open.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #93
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Three Defensive Touchdowns for UCLA... yeesh.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #94
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA's D is pretty underrated nationally but should be one of the best in the PAC-12 and nation.

Our offense is looking terrible. This should end Hundley's Heisman campaign
Old 08-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #95
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Maybe I spoke too soon? Matt Johns looked great and gets the ball first in the second half.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #96
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I really like Hundley but he needs to tighten up a bit (granted his receivers dropping passes has to mess with his rhythm.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #97
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

this may be a rough start to the season for the BIG10. Iowa, Illinois, and tOSU all down or in close games right now.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #98
Butter
Coordinator

Ohio State's offensive line is getting manhandled.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #99
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I really like Hundley but he needs to tighten up a bit (granted his receivers dropping passes has to mess with his rhythm.

Passing vision is a big obstacle that he needs to overcome. Hasn't really improved in three years now
Old 08-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #100
Easy Mac

Someone should tell nc state that Georgia southern isn't 1aa anymore.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote