Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who Goes on the Yankees Mount Rushmore? (choose 4 - should go without saying)
Yogi Berra 3 2.83%
Joe DiMaggio 95 89.62%
Whitey Ford 4 3.77%
Lou Gehrig 92 86.79%
Derek Jeter 15 14.15%
Mickey Mantle 94 88.68%
Don Mattingly 1 0.94%
Mariano Rivera 4 3.77%
Babe Ruth 103 97.17%
Trout 3 2.83%
Other (explain below) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #51
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I am alive and don't remember the older group of players now. Still, the stats don't lie: The top 4 are the older group of guys.
Exactly.

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #52
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
IMO - DiMaggio was a better hitter and player than Mantle. His career numbers take a hit from losing his prime years due to the war. Therefore, I kept Mantle off and added Ford to have a pitcher on the Mount.

Sure - top 4 hitters are Ruth, Gehrig, Joe D and Mantle - but slided off Mantle to add a pitcher in Ford. And I think Ford is super underrated when you talk about great pitchers. Take deadball pitchers out, Whitey Ford has the lowest ERA of any LHP of all time. All time.

Agreed. I didn't vote for Ford, but this echoes my thoughts perfectly.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #53
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
And I think Ford is super underrated when you talk about great pitchers. Take deadball pitchers out, Whitey Ford has the lowest ERA of any LHP of all time. All time.

And he also served in the Army during the Korean War for 2 years during his career (so his win totals would be better one would assume). Jeter didn't fight in any wars.

Why do people love Jeter so much? He didn't win a Gold Glove until they went out and traded for the Gold Glove guy and moved him to third. I understand he got 3k in hits but besides that he is/was average at best defensively.

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 03-12-2013 at 08:15 AM.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #54
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
And he also served in the Army during the Korean War for 2 years during his career (so his win totals would be better one would assume). Jeter didn't fight in any wars.

Why do people love Jeter so much? He didn't win a Gold Glove until they went out and traded for the Gold Glove guy and moved him to third. I understand he got 3k in hits but besides that he is/was average at best defensively.

He is certainly one of the best Yankees ever, but I agree, I don't see him in the mix in this conversation for the top 4. Clearly in the to 7 for sure, and that is a big deal considering the Yankee dynasty as a whole.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #55
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
He is certainly one of the best Yankees ever, but I agree, I don't see him in the mix in this conversation for the top 4. Clearly in the to 7 for sure, and that is a big deal considering the Yankee dynasty as a whole.

I think it comes down to what you consider the purpose of Mount Rushmore. I think of it as a representation of the most iconic members of the team so as the consistent face of the franchise during a period where the Yankees won 5 World Series titles I think he deserves strong consideration even though I wouldn't pick him as one of the four. If you think it's the best 4 players i don't think his qualifications are nearly as strong.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote