Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2006, 06:47 PM   #51
lungs
Pro Rookie

Just a question on this topic..

I know quiting tobacco is a lot harder for some than it is others. Has anybody ever heard of any genetic factors involved? All three male members of use tobacco. I've smoked and dipped since I was 15 (23 now). But all of us seem to have the ability to just quit cold turkey for weeks at a time with no withdrawal symptoms.

Dipping seems to be primarily an outdoor activity for me. I work on a farm so I dip when I'm working. I also dip when I play softball. But when I go home at night I have no urge to put one in. Pretty much the same with smoking. If I'm not drinking or driving a long distance I have no urge for a smoke.

Maybe it's more a function of environmental factors that bring on a weak addiction.

lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:41 AM   #52
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Lungs - I am no doctor, just play one on the Internet, but unlike you I come from a long line of alcoholics and very addictive personalities in my family. It is very hard for any of us to quit any addiction. One of my brothers and I are quitting smoking together and it is as hard for him as me. I quit drinking alcohol about 6 years ago and it was the hardest thing I have ever done (next to quitting smoking).

I believe in the "genetic" thing as I see destructive patterns in certain people and typically if you look at those individuals’ families (like my own) there is pattern as well. I luckily quit drinking before I got to bad and it was mainly because I saw my father, my grandfather, many uncles, one of my brothers all destroy or lose touch with their lives. I was once told by a close friend of the family who I went to for help and he told me that it is ok to be an alcoholic in our family because we are from "Ireland and its normal, I was born and raised in the old country it is just who we are".

Anyway, I know their is a whole lot out their about genetics + addiction which backs.

By the way, I had a cigarette this morning...:mad
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #53
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Don't worry about it, get back on that horse!!

Day 13
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #54
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Don't worry about it, get back on that horse!!

Day 13

Congrats - keep going Mizz & cowboy up BAH!

Just about to knock off work now, which is the hardest time of a non-pub day for me... Spend a day concentrating on my job, then when I switch off I want to relax, and I really want a smoke

But if I can be strong for about an hour it will pass...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:47 PM   #55
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Good luck.

I want to quit smoking too.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #56
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Day 14.. 2 weeks and I'm doing ok.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #57
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

You are doing great. Keep it up, Todd.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #58
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Day 15 - tough weekend ahead.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #59
AlexB
Pro Starter

Suck it up MizzouRah - time to be a man. For some reason tonight has gone well - been down the pub, watching my team play on the big screen, had a few beers, and no baccy.

I've finally cottoned on that we're quitting differnt things, but stay strong buddy
Old 04-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #60
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
Suck it up MizzouRah - time to be a man. For some reason tonight has gone well - been down the pub, watching my team play on the big screen, had a few beers, and no baccy.

I've finally cottoned on that we're quitting differnt things, but stay strong buddy

Another short lived quit. One dip in 16 days.

I'm thinking about investing in a quit aid such as nicorette gum. I can't seem to quit for longer than a month or so cold turkey.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #61
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Get right back on that horse, Todd. There is no shame in using nicorette gum or other aid. Just realize that you will need to wean yourself off of that too according to the instructions.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #62
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm thinking about investing in a quit aid such as nicorette gum. I can't seem to quit for longer than a month or so cold turkey.

For the last 16 months I've probably smoked for a total of 9 months, used patches for 5, and neither for about 2 (I'm 33 now, smoked on & off for about 12-13 of the last 15 years - mostly on as you can see)

Whether I'm right on this or not I'm not sure, but the way I see it it's better to use a stop tobacco aid than the real thing healthwise, and (for me at least with the price of smokes over here) cheaper as well.

It is true that you need the right mind set to start with, and then the tricky bits come when you drop down a level and eventually stop the aids altogether. But even if it doesn't work 100%, you've still had x number of weeks when you haven't been taking in the other chemicals within tobacco.

Of course I could be totally wrong on this as well . It's obviously not the macho way of quitting, but if you do want to, but find it tough (as I do), quitting aids do seem to help, but are not a 'cure'.

Give it another go - if you can kick it it's good for you, your family & your wallet: you've inspired me to try again - it's only right you should have the benefits as well.

For the record I'm on day 9 now, patch assisted, and so far so good.

Last edited by AlexB : 04-10-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #63
JeeberD
General Manager

Get back on the wagon, Todd. It's worth it!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:01 AM   #64
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Someone help me out here. I've never been addicted to anything other than video games. Why the need to do the smokeless tobacco, cigarettes, etc.? I guess I just don't get it. I assume that you do know that use of cigarettes or smokeless tobacco will most likely reduce your life expectancy by 15-20 years. I don't understand this type of self destructive behavior.

Think of what you'll miss by dying 15-20 years earlier............
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #65
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
Someone help me out here. I've never been addicted to anything other than video games. Why the need to do the smokeless tobacco, cigarettes, etc.? I guess I just don't get it. I assume that you do know that use of cigarettes or smokeless tobacco will most likely reduce your life expectancy by 15-20 years. I don't understand this type of self destructive behavior.

Think of what you'll miss by dying 15-20 years earlier............

my only guess is that non-smokers/non-dippers (invented word here ) like you and me can't understand the cravings that come with being addicted to nicotine and/or whatever there is in the chewing tobacco. Again, only guessing but I'd have to think there's a "I have to have one, RIGHT NOW!" feeling that comes once you've been addicted for a long time.

Now, the question you might want to ask people in general is why start in the first place??? That one baffles me. I've never smoked, not even one cig in my life so I can't answer that one.

As for you Todd, I'd want to echo what our resident doctor said and urge you to get back on that horse. Keep trying until you succeed and if you really want to do it, you'll get it done. We're still 100% behind you.

FM
Old 04-11-2006, 08:42 AM   #66
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
As for you Todd, I'd want to echo what our resident doctor said and urge you to get back on that horse. Keep trying until you succeed and if you really want to do it, you'll get it done. We're still 100% behind you.

FM

Absolutely. I still want Todd to kick this brutal habit (MU fans unite!!!!). I don't question his conviction with my previous comments. I just asked because it's obviously hard for someone who doesn't have any addictions to understand why this occurs.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:02 AM   #67
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Nicotine is very highly addictive. It causes spikes in dopamine (along with some other neurotransmitters) levels which are associated with pleasure. It has been postulated by some scientists that nicotine is even more addictive than Cocaine.

It is hard for Todd or anyone to quit Nicotine, but as you said, it cuts down your life expectancy significantly, and I know Todd loves his family. I'm sure that will be good motivation to get back on the horse and start a new longer streak.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #68
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Nicotine is very highly addictive. It causes spikes in dopamine (along with some other neurotransmitters) levels which are associated with pleasure. It has been postulated by some scientists that nicotine is even more addictive than Cocaine.

It is hard for Todd or anyone to quit Nicotine, but as you said, it cuts down your life expectancy significantly, and I know Todd loves his family. I'm sure that will be good motivation to get back on the horse and start a new longer streak.

Eagles, I know you work in the medical field. I have smoked an occasion cigar (3-4 times a year) and I have drinks socially, but nothing on a regular basis (i.e. I could go without a drink for a long period of time and not feel any different). Why is it that I can do that type of thing while others become addicted and allow these types of things to cause problems in their life from a health perspective?
Old 04-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #69
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
Eagles, I know you work in the medical field. I have smoked an occasion cigar (3-4 times a year) and I have drinks socially, but nothing on a regular basis (i.e. I could go without a drink for a long period of time and not feel any different). Why is it that I can do that type of thing while others become addicted and allow these types of things to cause problems in their life from a health perspective?

Genetics. I really believe that some people are more genetically susceptible to becoming addicts. Addiction runs in my family, so I limit myself to 2 nights of drinking/month maximum. It's not all genetics of course, but I do believe that is a key component. Of course, there are many environmental factors that play a role as well.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #70
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for all the support.. I am back on the horse and it's easy during the week.

No doubt smokeless is not harmless and definitly can cause all types of oral cancers, that I'm aware of. The military is what got me started chewing this crap and although a can now lasts a month or so compared to one can every other day... I need to never put that shit in my mouth again.

I've done it time and time again.. and I think I need some help via aids like nicorette or something along those lines.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #71
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for all the support.. I am back on the horse and it's easy during the week.

No doubt smokeless is not harmless and definitly can cause all types of oral cancers, that I'm aware of. The military is what got me started chewing this crap and although a can now lasts a month or so compared to one can every other day... I need to never put that shit in my mouth again.

I've done it time and time again.. and I think I need some help via aids like nicorette or something along those lines.

Good job getting back on the horse quickly, Todd. Besides Nicorette gum, Zyban, which is the same medicine as Wellbutrin, has been clinically proven to help cut down the desire for cigarettes and Nicotine. It's a relative safe method that might help you kick this habit if you feel you need further help besides just the nicorette gum. The major risk of Wellbutrin is seizures if you overdose on it. While your goal should be to quit completely, even these partially successful attempts are periods of time where you are taking less toxins into your body and therefore prolonging your life. Don't view them as failures, but partial successes which are stepping stones to complete success in the near future.

Good luck. Lots of people on here are pulling for you (and the rest of the guys who mentioned quitting in this thread.)
Old 04-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #72
tarcone
Coordinator

The tobacco industry targets children who are easily seduced into thinking smoking/dipping is cool/glamorous/thein-thing. When a kid starts, it is almost impossible to quit due to the highly addictive nature of the product. rarely do you see a 22 year old person just decide to smoke or dip becuase they know of the risks.
It is the Youngsters the industry is after and get. If you get a 12 yr old to smoke you have a customer for life (50 years?).
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #73
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yep, and all the new "flavors" damn them and that peach flavor.

Thanks EF for your help and support. I've dramatically reduced my intake of nicotine, just need to realize cold turkey is darn near impossible for me and a piece of n gum would be nice to have around for those "hard" times.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:51 AM   #74
AlexB
Pro Starter

Oh man. In the middle of a huge desire for a cigarette right now. Can't concentrate, relax, or get it out of my head.

I'm sure I won't have one, but this is not fun.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #75
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh man. In the middle of a huge desire for a cigarette right now. Can't concentrate, relax, or get it out of my head.

I'm sure I won't have one, but this is not fun.

You CAN do it!!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #76
PSUColonel
Banned

Hey Mizz,

You have inspired me to do the same. I drink way too much, and when I do, I use dip frequently. I really need to stop both. I know you are on day 12, but I' going to make today day 3 for me, since I haven't had either since Sunday. My problems always seem to arise around weekends..hmmm.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #77
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel
Hey Mizz,

You have inspired me to do the same. I drink way too much, and when I do, I use dip frequently. I really need to stop both. I know you are on day 12, but I' going to make today day 3 for me, since I haven't had either since Sunday. My problems always seem to arise around weekends..hmmm.

Yep, alcohol is a DEFINITE killer for caving.

Good for you PSU!!
Old 04-13-2006, 04:39 AM   #78
AlexB
Pro Starter

Yesterday wsa the first tough day I've had (day 11). Got through it, but as I had a half a box of the big muthas left over from my previous attempt, I bought another full one and was planning to go down a notch on the patches today after a box and a half.

Went to the chemist and got another of the step 1 patches after yesterday! Next week will now be the drop down.

I think it was linked to a lack of sleep, working in the office on my own and doing the one part of my job that I hate the most: I find it boring, unrewarding, uninspiring and generally a drag. Unfortunately I'm in the same situation today
Old 04-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #79
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Just wanted to say, keep it up guys!
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:18 PM   #80
PSUColonel
Banned

It's day 4 for me now, and so far so good. The true test for me will be once I have about 10 days under my belt. It is always at this point (especially when I get exercising) that the cravings for both get much stronger. I don't know why. This time though, I don't want to give in.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:56 PM   #81
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm on day 3 or 4 I think yet once again...
Old 04-13-2006, 03:06 PM   #82
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Keep it up, guys.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #83
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I'm on day 3 or 4 I think yet once again...

remember, every day without a dip is one less day with that crap in your body so nothing's lost... Keep it up!

FM
Old 04-14-2006, 07:52 AM   #84
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
remember, every day without a dip is one less day with that crap in your body so nothing's lost... Keep it up!

FM

Agreed. The current situation is still WAY better than what Mizzourah was doing to his body on a regular basis even with his small stumble a few days ago.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:46 PM   #85
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm not going to let this thread die.. took a dip today while cleaning the garage.. yep, found a can hidden and couldn't resist.

Tomorrow is Easter and I would love nothing more than for my final quit to start. I've had two dips in the past 3 weeks, but it still doesn't count towards quitting.

I've checked all my hidding places and by tonight all tobacco will be gone. I'm going to post a lot as I think writing my thoughts will help.

Feel free to join in!
Old 04-15-2006, 04:53 PM   #86
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

whatever helps, do it Todd. We're still here to support you, and hop, back on the horse!

FM
Old 04-15-2006, 09:00 PM   #87
tarcone
Coordinator

here is an idea and it helped me when i quit. i was extremely hungover and riding in a car from iowa to home. was sick as a dog and couldnt dip. now i reflect back on that feeling of illness and relate that to chewing. just a thought
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:57 PM   #88
SFL Cat
College Starter

good stuff tarcone. My dad smoked cigars when I was a kid. When I was six, I remember finding half a cigar in an ash tray down in the basement. It was stone cold...I picked it up and took a loooong drag on it. Started coughing my lungs up...I thought I was going to die. I've never been tempted to try any kind of tobacco product since. While I've always like the smell of cigar and pipe smoke, cigarette smoke makes me gag.

Anyway, keep it up Mizzouh...I'm pulling for you.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:46 PM   #89
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Good luck, Todd. I hope you quit for the final time starting tomorrow. We continue to pull for you.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:18 AM   #90
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks again guys.. Day 1 is today!!

Have a great Easter!!!
Old 04-16-2006, 05:34 PM   #91
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yesterday wsa the first tough day I've had (day 11). Got through it, but as I had a half a box of the big muthas left over from my previous attempt, I bought another full one and was planning to go down a notch on the patches today after a box and a half.

Went to the chemist and got another of the step 1 patches after yesterday! Next week will now be the drop down.

I think it was linked to a lack of sleep, working in the office on my own and doing the one part of my job that I hate the most: I find it boring, unrewarding, uninspiring and generally a drag. Unfortunately I'm in the same situation today

Bizarrely, on Friday I just decided after a hot bath not to put a patch on at all. Now Sunday night, and two and a half days of no smoking and no patches either - completely clean. So over a fortnight no smoke, and a couple of days of no nicotine. So far, so good.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:54 PM   #92
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I have a question about trying to quit smoking/smokeless/anything, really. I've never been in this situation so I don't have any experience. Wouldn't it be better to say "I can still do this, but only once in a while" instead of trying to totally quit but keep going back to it?

I'm not saying I don't think you guys can't quit altogether, its more of a general question for this type of thing.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:16 PM   #93
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Actually no ice.. once in awhile leads to whenever I want and back full blown. Quitting it for good, although takes some gut wrenching and gall, is the only way to go, imo.

I've tried the once in awhile method and it makes me look foward to getting home to have my "one a day" chew.

It's time for this... long overdue and I've had it. I've stuck my neck out there this time and I plan to go through with it.

Good for you JRS!!
Old 04-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #94
PSUColonel
Banned

Well, I fell off the wagon. The bad news, I drank and dipped. The good news?...I only had 4 drinks, and 2 dips over the weekend. This may be considered moderate use for some, but compared to what I am used to doing, it is almost nothing...nonetheless, I am not happy with what I've done. I know I will have no trouble over the next five days..I'm going to need to start finding things to do on weekends. After 17 years pf partying almost every weekend, I'm not sure where to start. I'm a big golfer, but drinking and dipping always kind of surround it.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:41 PM   #95
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually no ice.. once in awhile leads to whenever I want and back full blown. Quitting it for good, although takes some gut wrenching and gall, is the only way to go, imo.

I've tried the once in awhile method and it makes me look foward to getting home to have my "one a day" chew.

It's time for this... long overdue and I've had it. I've stuck my neck out there this time and I plan to go through with it.

Good for you JRS!!

Good call, Todd. Conversely, some people see 1 slip-up as a reason to say they failed and they give up trying to quit and just use as much as they want. Good luck staying on the wagon.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:31 AM   #96
Izulde
Head Coach

I started smoking occasionally when I was 18 and have done it right up until now. It's not something I do very often and I go for months at a time without having one.

Oddly enough, I found that the best way for me to quit smoking tobacco cigarettes entirely was to switch to cloves. Those have their own problems of course, but they taste better and feel like they have less crap in them than tobacco, but I'm not entirely certain on that.

Anyway, good luck Todd and the rest. I have faith that you can do it if you want to!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #97
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Day 2 - feeling great today and I'll say again it's amazing what 1 simple day of no chewing tobacco will do as far as how nice my mouth feels
Old 04-17-2006, 04:06 PM   #98
AlexB
Pro Starter

Old 04-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #99
AlexB
Pro Starter

That was partly because I've just been for a leak forgetting I hadn't washed my hands after chopping birds eye chili's, but mainly because I've had 3 cigarettes tonight - guess I wasn;t ready for no patches after all.

Was OK over the weekend at my folks, but today was bad. But destroyed the remaining 7 smokes in the pack, and put a middle level patch back on (which is the step down I was going to make last week before I got ahead of myself and went cold turkey).

So back to a only a few hours again, and a burning sensation where there shouldn;t be one
Old 04-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #100
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That's ok JRS... get back on the wagon! You can do it!!