Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #51
TroyF
Coordinator

Really, really impressive four minute stretch there by the Bulls.

TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #52
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think the fouls on rose have pretty much been legit.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #53
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I think the fouls on rose have pretty much been legit.

I think so too.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #54
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Really, really impressive four minute stretch there by the Bulls.

yeah, indy...wtf. Get a rebound douches.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #55
MikeVic
Head Coach

Nice by Noah.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #56
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Funny how the Heat resorted to a white-out to Camouflage the amount of empty seats. I guess the Heat fans can't be bothered to arrive within the first quarter?
Old 04-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #57
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Watch out NBA, if you get within Derrick Rose's imaginary force field, you'll get hit with a foul.

Not sure what game you were watching.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #58
MikeVic
Head Coach

Lol fans are chanting MVP for lebron and for wade.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #59
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Watch out NBA, if you get within Derrick Rose's imaginary force field, you'll get hit with a foul.

He's got reputation now so it makes it even more impossible to guard him. He is so good at getting into the lane and drawing contact he could probably get to the line whenever he wanted.

Might as well get used to him being in that Kobe, Lebron, DWade class now where anything questionable will send him to the line.

The difference is Rose doesnt complain or bitch all the time so the refs enjoy treating him like a star. He only had 2 technical fouls this year.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-16-2011 at 03:55 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #60
MrBug708
Head Coach

Enjoy it while it lasts
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #61
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Man, there are quite a few empty seats there in Miami.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #62
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The good news for Orlando: Dwight Howard has 31 points at halftime.

The bad news: They're still losing by 7.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Atlanta won a playoff game? Maybe those 2012 predictions are closer to being right than I thought.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #64
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
He's got reputation now so it makes it even more impossible to guard him. He is so good at getting into the lane and drawing contact he could probably get to the line whenever he wanted.

Might as well get used to him being in that Kobe, Lebron, DWade class now where anything questionable will send him to the line.

The difference is Rose doesnt complain or bitch all the time so the refs enjoy treating him like a star. He only had 2 technical fouls this year.

How about the Heat shooting 24 more free throws than the Sixers yesterday. Basically impossible to win a game with that kind of differential.

For the record, I'm not saying that free throws should be equal, but that seems to be an extreme difference.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #65
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
How about the Heat shooting 24 more free throws than the Sixers yesterday. Basically impossible to win a game with that kind of differential.

For the record, I'm not saying that free throws should be equal, but that seems to be an extreme difference.

Bill Simmons has a nice couple of tweets about this. Based on FGA inside of 10 feet and offensive rebounding, it makes sense for the Bulls difference but not the Heat. For the Knicks/Celts, the Knicks should have more FTA.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #66
whomario
Pro Starter

When Hansbrough had that steal and dunk i thought there was absolutely no way they could loose that game, great job by Chicago coming back from that.

Mavs had some FT-luck yesterday, although fact is that Nowitzki just couldnīt be guarded without fouling that 4th quarter and itīs not like itīs unusual that he can flip that switch and get his defenders to panic and revert to defending with their arms rather than their feet.

Also, Kidd propably will go 2-12 the next 2 combined from deep, so someone else better get sth going.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #67
MrBug708
Head Coach

Pau Gasol - 0-12 in Memphis postseason history
Marc Gasol - 1-0 in Memphis postseason history

Not a bad trade
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #68
whomario
Pro Starter

Shane effing Battier with the biggest shot of the game and then following it with a big time rebound.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #69
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Heckuva a last few minutes in that game. Looked like the Griz were going to run away at the end, the Spurs took the lead, then Memphis goes on a 7-0 run to close the game.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #70
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Congrats to memphis.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #71
StLee
High School Varsity

Boy, was I wrong about the Hornets. But I'll take it!

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #72
Logan
Head Coach

Nice job refs.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #73
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Nice job refs.

If the refs hadn't been working their asses off to keep OKC in the game, the Nuggets would be up by 15 or more now. They dominated every facet of the game. Nuggets called for 10 fouls and OKC has 13 FTA.

OKC called for 1 foul and the Nuggets have 1 FTA (and that was off an illegal defense)

OKC will get their feet and they will make this a game. I'll be interested to see how many calls the Nuggets get when OKC makes their charge. Thus far, it's been comical.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #74
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

How about Ray Allen?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #75
TroyF
Coordinator

the refs even up the FT tally and Denver can't hit one. they lose this game, they have nobody but themselves to blame.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #76
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I made the mistake of think Durant would score under 31 points. This streak for cash shit is serious business.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #77
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

What an amazing shot by Durant, very Julius Evering like.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #78
Buccaneer
Head Coach

As much as I like Boston beating NY, that last 16 seconds exemplifies a lot of what I hate about the NBA. First, even though Allen is a 3pt machine, a 2 pointer would've given them the lead. On that shot though, why were there two Celtics just standing around? NBA has become known for guys just standing around watching others taking shots. So then the Knicks was down by two and the Knicks guy shoots a three while double-teamed?? What was he thinking - trying to be The Man?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #79
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
If the refs hadn't been working their asses off to keep OKC in the game, the Nuggets would be up by 15 or more now.

My bad, that was referencing the Carmelo offensive foul call.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #80
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Philly isn't going to bring in the same ratings.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #81
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
My bad, that was referencing the Carmelo offensive foul call.

It was the correct call. The refs ignored two NY players fouling on the ensuing play prior to Allen shooting on Rondo I think.

Last edited by Galaril : 04-17-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #82
MikeVic
Head Coach

I don't think you can just look at FTA and cry foul (no pun intended). There has to be a bit more to it than that. It's why I liked Bill Simmons' take on the matter (shots inside of ten feet compared to FTA). Also, some teams are bound to foul more than others. Having said that, of course there are cases that are just so one-sided that it isn't even funny.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #83
Arles
Grey Dog Software

They also missed the "sweep the leg" move by Garnet to free up Allen for the winning 3.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #84
TroyF
Coordinator

Nice non offensive goaltending call ref. Incredibly nice. Stern's thank you card is in the mail.

Stern's cronies take what was a sensational ball game and destroy it with a call a four year old could make. Disgusting.

Last edited by TroyF : 04-17-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #85
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Nice non offensive goaltending call ref. Incredibly nice. Stern's thank you card is in the mail.

Stern's cronies take what was a sensational ball game and destroy it with a call a four year old could make. Disgusting.

Maybe if you team could hit more than 64% of their Free Throws, they would've won. Can't blame the refs for poor FT shooting.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #86
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Two calls went against Denver that were really bad.

Russell Westbrook with a charge that counted as a 3 point play and the Westbrook shot that was an obvious goaltend. Those 5 points decided the game.

On a side note
Im not sure I like the 2 point guard lineup late in the game. It leaves too many defensive issues. They also need to keep Westbrook under control. He could get wherever he wanted most of the game.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-17-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #87
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, Lebron, Wade, and Bosh just run into people and get fouls called. It gets sickening.

Chris Paul dribbled around into contact a couple times today just to get free throw attempts today as well. On their side its smart basketball but it really sucks to watch.

Chris Paul had Fisher beat and he knew Fischer would be tailing behind so he basically stopped and had Fisher bump into him to get Free Throws.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-17-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:39 PM   #88
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Maybe if you team could hit more than 64% of their Free Throws, they would've won. Can't blame the refs for poor FT shooting.

Ya know, the Nuggets could have done A LOT of things better. They could have shot better than 4-16 from the three point land. They could have shot better from the free throw line. They could have played better D on Durant and Westbrook. They could have run crisper fast breaks.

At the end of the day, despite all of that, they are up by a point with under a minute in the game when OKC is allowed to get the most obvious goal tend in the history of the league. Not one, not two, but THREE refs miss the guys hand going through the net and tipping it in.

If the right call is made, the Nuggets have the ball up one with 50 seconds left in the game. There is no lock that they win the game. But they were robbed of the chance to find out because they decided not to call a flat out obvious call that everyone in the arena could see.

Spare me all of the things the Nuggets COULD have done. What they had absolutely no power over was three refs deciding that offensive goaltending is allowed in the final minute of a game if it is going to give OKC the lead. And win OR lose, that spoiled an otherwise sensational game between two teams.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #89
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I don't understand how if you can use video to decide a 3 pointer or a shot clock violation - why you couldn't use it to see if something was goal-tending in the cylinder. These aren't really judgement calls.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #90
Cuckoo
College Starter

Definitely a bad call, and I agree with Arles.

That said, Denver didn't score on their next possession and OKC did. Yes, the call certainly could've changed the momentum, but if things continued as they happened, OKC would've had the lead anyway. The Nuggets were terrible in the final seconds, specifically with that in-bounds play and the ill-advised three pointer.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:11 AM   #91
whomario
Pro Starter

Battierīs wife also gave birth to their 2nd kid yesterday, crazy day for him i guess

Hope that Aaron Grayīs injury is indeed just a mild sprain, he and the whole Hornets bench were great, totally unexpected output from those guys.
Chris Paul was obviously great, hit some big, big shots as well. Overall the Hornets propably set some sort of record for "tough floaters hit over a 7 footer" in that game, at one point they had like 4 in a row of those from different guys

Durant with a pretty spectacular game yesterday, only 1 TO as well to go with his efficient 41 points.
I thougth Maynor and Collison were great off the bench, Collison is just a terrific defender and Maynor is propably the prototypical backup PG in that he seemingly never makes a bad decicion and allways does what is needed on both ends, really gives that 2nd unit structure for those 10-15 minutes where they arenīt getting by on explosiveness with Westbrook on the bench.

Nuggets could have really used Afflalo on Westbrook yesterday, whatīs the outlook there ?

Last edited by whomario : 04-18-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:18 AM   #92
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Nuggets could have really used Afflalo on Westbrook yesterday, whatīs the outlook there ?

lol...now that's interesting. Cuz you see, Westbrook probably learned a lot of what he knows about playing ball from Afflalo.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #93
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Battierīs wife also gave birth to their 2nd kid yesterday, crazy day for him i guess

Hope that Aaron Grayīs injury is indeed just a mild sprain, he and the whole Hornets bench were great, totally unexpected output from those guys.
Chris Paul was obviously great, hit some big, big shots as well. Overall the Hornets propably set some sort of record for "tough floaters hit over a 7 footer" in that game, at one point they had like 4 in a row of those from different guys

Durant with a pretty spectacular game yesterday, only 1 TO as well to go with his efficient 41 points.
I thougth Maynor and Collison were great off the bench, Collison is just a terrific defender and Maynor is propably the prototypical backup PG in that he seemingly never makes a bad decicion and allways does what is needed on both ends, really gives that 2nd unit structure for those 10-15 minutes where they arenīt getting by on explosiveness with Westbrook on the bench.

The hope is Afflalo comes back next game. Of all the Nuggets depth, I think he's by far the most important player. (with Nene a close second)
Old 04-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #94
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Definitely a bad call, and I agree with Arles.

That said, Denver didn't score on their next possession and OKC did. Yes, the call certainly could've changed the momentum, but if things continued as they happened, OKC would've had the lead anyway. The Nuggets were terrible in the final seconds, specifically with that in-bounds play and the ill-advised three pointer.

Again, I don't care about what should/would/could have happened and I'm not saying Denver wins the game if the right call is made.

I am saying that three highly paid professional officials chose not to see a hand going through the basket for a clear GT call. I use the word chose, because I think the only three people in the arena who "didn't" see it were the refs. I know the players all did. I know the entire Nuggets bench did. I know the Nuggets announcers, the OKC announcers and the national announcers did. Not after replay, right away.

I'm not even complaining about the Westbrook charge, that's a judgement call. I'm not complaining about the overall reffing. I thought it was horrible in the first in favor of the Thunder and I thought it was terrible in the second favoring the Nuggets. Outside of that, it was pretty solid.

But I'm still not sure how you MISS that call unless you decide to miss that call. And I don't care what happened afterward, it was spoiled for me because of that. As an OKC fan, you have a right to think "we'd have won anyway, that call didn't change a thing" As a Nuggets fan, I have every right to say that call changed the game and we'll now never truly know who would have won that game (and possibly this series if that's the closest Denver comes to beating OKC in their building) To me, that's a shame and it's an indictment of Stern's version of the NBA.

FWIW, I've said all along the three teams I'm cheering for these playoffs are the Nuggets, Bulls and Thunder. I just wanted to see an exciting game last night win or lose. Instead I got a comical piece of officiating to screw it up for me.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #95
Butter
Coordinator

If you (and that's anyone, not just TroyF) believe that the NBA is fixed that obviously, I don't understand why you would continue to watch and/or care.

Last edited by Butter : 04-18-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #96
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
If you (and that's anyone, not just TroyF) believe that the NBA is fixed that obviously, I don't understand why you would continue to watch and/or care.

Because I love the game. Love it, love it, love it. Last night was a snapshot of everything good about the game. Fun, fast paced, different styles, etc. It was the way the game was supposed to be played.

Yeah, I'm pissed off that the refs blew that call. Beyond pissed off actually. But it was a fun two hours of basketball.

I might be naive, but I truly believe after Stern is out of there, things will change for the better.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #97
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I dont think it is fixed but I do think the refs are told "Do whats right for business" At times a team plays so bad in a series that the refs cant even help them out.(Cavs last year)
Old 04-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #98
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm tired of refs bailing out stars, but allowing regular players to get pummeled. I'm not a big fan of the movement towards the perimeter game. I actually enjoy dominant post players, but they are virtually extinct. Dwight Howard should average 40ppg, but we get to see jackass perimeter players jack up threes.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #99
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

This.

I would never watch a sport if I thought it was as rigged as people say the NBA is.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #100
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I don't think it's rigged as much as it's just a bad setup/environment. Expecting refs to see everything unbiased in an element full of 20,000 screaming fans (esp late in a game) is a much tougher request than many people think. Imagine you're presenting religion in a conference room full of angry Catholics/Muslims/Atheists who've been drinking, even the most hard-headed of us is going to modify their presentation a hair - if only for self-preservation. That's what these refs deal with every night in the playoffs.

The only ways to improve this are more accountability by leadership (ie, Stern) on bad calls and using more technology to help. But, right now, the refs feel a bit like they are untouchable and even if they get caught up in the crowd and blow a call - they never have to face the music with Stern. However, if they knew they could get fined/suspended for missing a late call, they might try a little harder to battle through the crowd to get things right.

Last edited by Arles : 04-18-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote