Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2005, 02:45 PM   #51
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
I don't understand the clips I have been seeing of this movie.

I always thought Fire FLy was a rip off of Cowboy Beebop, but the clips look nothing like what I was expecting.

Also, Seems like there should be 2 lost episodes from the FireFly series as most studios make 16 episodes for new shows.

There are 13 episodes. 2 were not aired.

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #52
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Bump.

Only two days until the movie opens.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:18 AM   #53
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Bump.

Only two days until the movie opens.

Yep, I'm getting pretty excited for this.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #54
gi
College Prospect

Trying to squeeze in all the episodes for my GF before we see the movie on Friday. Looking forward to the movie. Anyone see any reviews out for it yet?
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:05 AM   #55
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
Trying to squeeze in all the episodes for my GF before we see the movie on Friday. Looking forward to the movie. Anyone see any reviews out for it yet?

There's a handful already up at www.rottentomatoes.com and many more can be found at www.aintitcoolnews.com
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-28-2005, 10:30 AM   #56
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
There's a handful already up at www.rottentomatoes.com and many more can be found at www.aintitcoolnews.com

So far it reviews like I expected. A gift to the fans, newcomers will be slightly confused. Joss also seems to have gone light on introducing characters to newcomers. I'll be selfishly enjoying it I'm sure.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:03 AM   #57
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Bumpity bump!

Movie opens today.

A solid 77% fresh (according to rottentomatoes.com) from the critics.

Go see this film.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:13 AM   #58
gi
College Prospect

Local Detroit papers gave this movie great reviews. Seeing it tonight.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:30 AM   #59
WrongWay
Banned

I just don't understand all the advertising I have beeb seeing for this movie.

No offense, but what can the studio expect to make off a TV series that didn't even run for 12 episodes? I will be buying my ticket this weekend as I was a fan when the show was on, but I just don't get it. I am confused on why the Studio is spending so much money on ads. I would understand if it was at #1 this weekend and then the studio started a blitz campaign, but not before. The inhouse reviews must have been through the roof.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:34 AM   #60
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
I just don't understand all the advertising I have beeb seeing for this movie.

No offense, but what can the studio expect to make off a TV series that didn't even run for 12 episodes? I will be buying my ticket this weekend as I was a fan when the show was on, but I just don't get it. I am confused on why the Studio is spending so much money on ads. I would understand if it was at #1 this weekend and then the studio started a blitz campaign, but not before. The inhouse reviews must have been through the roof.

I've had a raised eyebrow towards the amount of advertisment this movie has received. I'm not complaining, but just amazed that they are pushing it so much. Maybe they feel they can make a franchinse out of this.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:39 AM   #61
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
I've had a raised eyebrow towards the amount of advertisment this movie has received. I'm not complaining, but just amazed that they are pushing it so much. Maybe they feel they can make a franchinse out of this.

They do, and there is a good chance they will. I think early buzz on this was so big that they wanted to try and push this into a huge opening. It is odd they would do this in October, though (not the biggest movie month). I predict (without knowing what the top gross was) this movie will come close to breaking the top boxoffice gross ever for October.

Homer: Who-hoo! Four day weekend!!
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:49 AM   #62
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
It is odd they would do this in October, though (not the biggest movie month). I predict (without knowing what the top gross was) this movie will come close to breaking the top boxoffice gross ever for October.
The biggest ever??? I seriously doubt this. MAybe the biggest Sci-Fi movie opening in the first weekend of Ocoober.

The october opeing is pretty smart as you would not want this movie comming out when there were some major blockbusters also opening the same week as it would probably get lost. What else is opeing this weekend?
Old 09-30-2005, 08:50 AM   #63
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The biggest ever??? I seriously doubt this. MAybe the biggest Sci-Fi movie opening in the first weekend of Ocoober.

The october opeing is pretty smart as you would not want this movie comming out when there were some major blockbusters also opening the same week as it would probably get lost. What else is opeing this weekend?

Bigegest for October is what I said. I'll stick to it.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:50 AM   #64
gi
College Prospect

History of Violence open yet?
Old 09-30-2005, 08:54 AM   #65
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

BTW, biggest weekend for October is "Scary Movie 3" at 48 million. Totally do-able.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:58 AM   #66
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Not on 2188 screens it isn't.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:58 AM   #67
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
BTW, biggest weekend for October is "Scary Movie 3" at 48 million. Totally do-able.
Funny, when I was typing that I was predicting it would open at under $50.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:02 AM   #68
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Not on 2188 screens it isn't.

Is it really opening with that few screens? That's about 1,100 under SM3. Your right, no way it could do it with that limited a opening.

Old 09-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #69
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Is it really opening with that few screens? That's about 1,100 under SM3. Your right, no way it could do it with that limited a opening.

http://boxofficemojo.com/counts/char...5&wk=39&p=.htm

Scary Movie 3 opened in a little over 3500 screens and the week before Halloween.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:09 AM   #70
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
History of Violence open yet?

Opens tonight as well. It's received amazing reviews. Looking forward to seeing it.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:10 AM   #71
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Opens tonight as well. It's received amazing reviews. Looking forward to seeing it.
If it wasn't for Serenity, I'd be seeing this tonight. Alas, it will have to wait for now.

Last edited by gi : 09-30-2005 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:13 AM   #72
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
If it wasn't for Serenity, I'd be seeing this tonight. Alas, it will have to wait for now.

Agreed. Though since Lady H_B can't see "History of Violence" (she doesn't like the violence), I will have to schedule this one delicately. But it's tough to pass up a Cronenberg film with Vigo, Maria Bello, and Ed Harris.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:16 AM   #73
WrongWay
Banned

Huh, THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED will only be opeing on a 1,000 and some screens. I thought a feal good movie like that would of done some bigger numbers.

Also, this is week 2 for the history of violence.

Last edited by WrongWay : 09-30-2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:18 AM   #74
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Huh, THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED will only be opeing on a 1,000 and some screens. I thought a feal good movie like that would of done some bigger numbers.

Is The Great Game Ever Played that golf movie? If so, it looks really bad and horribly over directed. That's what I could gather from the trailers. I also fail to find golf to be all that dramatic or important, despite how much I liked "Happy Gilmour" and "Caddyshack" and thought "Tin Cup" was ok.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:19 AM   #75
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Is The Great Game Ever Played that golf movie? If so, it looks really bad and horribly over directed. That's what I could gather from the trailers. I also fail to find golf to be all that dramatic or important, despite how much I liked "Happy Gilmour" and "Caddyshack" and thought "Tin Cup" was ok.

Doom?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:20 AM   #76
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Bigegest for October is what I said. I'll stick to it.
I have a dollar says it doesn't beat the Scuba flick Into the Blue.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:22 AM   #77
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
I think the HBO movie Dead, Solid Perfect is the greatest Golf movie of all time.

I also liked the Bobby Jones Story, put out by the Bobby Jones society. Especially if you watch The Legend of Bagger Vance after it.

Last edited by WrongWay : 09-30-2005 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:35 AM   #78
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
I think the HBO movie Dead, Solid Perfect is the greatest Golf movie of all time.

I also liked the Bobby Jones Story, put out by the Bobby Jones society. Especially if you watch The Legend of Bagger Vance after it.

Even I enjoyed that movie, and I fucking hate golf.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:49 PM   #79
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

ITB is opening on several hundred more screens. I'll still take the bet.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:08 PM   #80
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Well, I saw it this afternoon, and I thought it was pretty good. A couple surprising things happened, but overall, a movie I would definitely recommend to any fan of Firefly.

If you haven't watched the TV show, though, I'd recommend seeing some TV episodes before the movie.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:30 PM   #81
JeffR
High School JV

Saw it today; hadn't watched the series. I enjoyed the movie, but the people putting it in the same category as the first Star Wars are getting a little carried away. The acting didn't really blow me away; the 'Buffy' cast did a much better job handling the lines Whedon wrote for them. In fact, I guess it's sort of the direct opposite of Star Wars - a so-so cast doing a clumsy job with good dialogue vs. a good cast making the most of Lucas's crappy dialogue.

Liked the overall look of the movie much more than the shiny, plastic special effects of Episodes I-III, though.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:32 PM   #82
gi
College Prospect

Just got back from seeing it. Thought it was a great first film by Joss. I thought the acting was above average. I still think the concept works better on TV, but the transition to the big screen has potential too. Hopefully we can see more of this 'verse.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:19 AM   #83
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just got back. I thought it was great. The concept certainly works better as a series, because the characters are just so great that you want to spend time with them. 2 hours every couple of years just will never cut it.

I thought the acting was quite good, in particular, the main bad guy really impressed me. I enjoyed how the kept the complexity with the characters, especially Mal's moral complexity. A well-written movie.

That initial shot with the two fleets going head-to-head was a thing of pure beauty...
Old 10-01-2005, 12:21 AM   #84
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
Saw it today; hadn't watched the series. I enjoyed the movie, but the people putting it in the same category as the first Star Wars are getting a little carried away.

I haven't hear that. That is crazy. This is a much smaller movie. Nowhere near the impact of the original Star Wars trilogy.

As for the second trilogy, Eps 1-3, this move blows them away. Then again, Battle Beyond The Stars was better than those crap-fests.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:50 AM   #85
MikeVic
Head Coach

Saw it tonight too, and loved it. I hope the story is continued somehow.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:05 AM   #86
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
I just got back. I thought it was great. The concept certainly works better as a series, because the characters are just so great that you want to spend time with them. 2 hours every couple of years just will never cut it.

I thought the acting was quite good, in particular, the main bad guy really impressed me. I enjoyed how the kept the complexity with the characters, especially Mal's moral complexity. A well-written movie.

That initial shot with the two fleets going head-to-head was a thing of pure beauty...

I agree, you just want to slowly sip every character until you know them like a brother or sister.

The bad guy kinda reminded me of the bad guy from the last episode. I enjoyed how they protrayed him and with the hints they gave we now know what the Shephard was prior to being a Shephard.

Joss said Mal would be darker and I thought we saw that. Loved it.

I loved the major ship battle...great sights!
Old 10-01-2005, 10:40 AM   #87
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
... Then again, Battle Beyond The Stars was better than those crap-fests.

Ok NOW yer just being bitter.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:43 AM   #88
RendeR
Coordinator

DOLA:

I have to admit, when i saw the episodes I did when teh TV show first came out I thought it was complete crap. There was no backstory, no way to put the characters into any sort of perspective to one another.

HOWEVER, having watched the marathon on Sci-Fi channel this week and catching the Friday night episode, I have to say I'm growing to really care about the characters. Its like the same effect I had with Star Trek, THe Next Generation, teh first two entire seasons were total shit, but after that they really wrote better episodes and made you care about the people on the ship. Firefly is affecting me the same way. As I watch it more and more the episodes make SO much more sense (having now learned the backstory from seeing the episodes in order) and I'm finding the show to be quite entertaining and even a little refreshing from the more hard-core sci-fi shows I normally watch.

I'll keep my eye on this one.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #89
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
DOLA:

I have to admit, when i saw the episodes I did when teh TV show first came out I thought it was complete crap. There was no backstory, no way to put the characters into any sort of perspective to one another.

HOWEVER, having watched the marathon on Sci-Fi channel this week and catching the Friday night episode, I have to say I'm growing to really care about the characters. Its like the same effect I had with Star Trek, THe Next Generation, teh first two entire seasons were total shit, but after that they really wrote better episodes and made you care about the people on the ship. Firefly is affecting me the same way. As I watch it more and more the episodes make SO much more sense (having now learned the backstory from seeing the episodes in order) and I'm finding the show to be quite entertaining and even a little refreshing from the more hard-core sci-fi shows I normally watch.

I'll keep my eye on this one.

I never watched it when it originally aired because I was living in Europe at the time. But a good friend of mine had the exact same reaction. He's big Buffy/Angel fan and said he tried to watch Firefly but it just didn't do anything for him.

So I sat him down and we started watching the show on DVD from the first episode forward. He was blown away. He loved it. The show (and movie) is complete character driven. The action and dialogue are fun, but what makes the show so special are the characters and their inter-relationships. The first episode establishes that and each following episode builds on it. Fox did the show an amazing diservice. It's really incredible just how badly they appeared to go out of their way to fuck it up.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #90
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Ok NOW yer just being bitter.

Yes. I am. I am a bitter, bitter man.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:59 AM   #91
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Oh yes... Despite how much I enjoyed the movie, and without giving any spoilers away, I'd like give a big "F YOU!" to Joss Whedon.

Old 10-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #92
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh yes... Despite how much I enjoyed the movie, and without giving any spoilers away, I'd like give a big "F YOU!" to Joss Whedon.

?????
Old 10-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #93
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
?????

He did something that displeased me greatly, but don't want to give anything away.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:11 PM   #94
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

You're going to owe me a dollar. Early numbers say that Serenity doubled up ITB. It is still going to open at number two, with Flightplan on top by a little. Looked at those per screen numbers, though. They are going to be sorry they didn't open this with more screens.

http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/today.html

Last edited by HomerJSimpson : 10-01-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #95
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looked at those per screen numbers, though. They are going to be sorry they didn't open this with more screens.

Same thing with "History of Violence" which opened on far fewer screens! A $12 million opening (or around that) weekend isn't that bad, but it doesn't look like it'll get over $50 million gross in total. Good showing, but not overwhelming.

Haven't seen it. Will eventually, but my best friend, who I go see movies with, hated the show (doesn't like sci-fi in general actually).

Firefly was a fun show, but not the be all and end all that some fanboi are making it out to be. I'll watch the movie, but maybe a few weeks in.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #96
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
You're going to owe me a dollar. Early numbers say that Serenity doubled up ITB. It is still going to open at number two, with Flightplan on top by a little. Looked at those per screen numbers, though. They are going to be sorry they didn't open this with more screens.

Not great numbers. I guess it's not too surprising. The theater I saw it was pretty well attended (90% capacity or so), but it seemed like that vast majority of those folks were die hard fans. Not sure how many folks outside that group will end up seeing the movie. It's a shame, because it's really quite good. Though I have no idea how someone who is totally unfamiliar with the series would view it.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:02 PM   #97
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Though I have no idea how someone who is totally unfamiliar with the series would view it.

8 people in my group never saw the TV show and 6 out of 8 really enjoyed it. Not too bad.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:05 PM   #98
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Sci-fi is also a niche genre, so sometimes its hard to appeal to people who normally wouldn't do sci-fi. It'd have to have big explosions/special effects or be an Oscar contender or something.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #99
Celeval
Pro Starter

Wife and I went to see it, hadn't seen the show (although considered it, just never fit into our schedule at the time). Both loved it, may go see it again with friends.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #100
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I predict (without knowing what the top gross was) this movie will come close to breaking the top boxoffice gross ever for October.

You might be a little off here dude.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote