Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #51
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I feel sorry for the servers there. How many people felt they didn't need to tip on their free food?

No kidding

I know this wouldn't have played well, but I wish someone would have been at the door and there was a sign saying something to the effect of:

"Thank You for coming to Denny's
*Please try to eat in a timely manner so everyone can take advantage of the offer
*And, as with any food promotion, please tip based on the theoretical full price of the food"

Your server would point these things out and only once you agreed would you be seated. Now, you could lie and say yes to both, leave no tip, and be one of those jackasses who I'm sure sat there for 2 hours, thinking things like "this is America, I have the freedom to do what I want". But I think that would have at least made some people more conscious of their surroundings. Then again, it always amazes me how many people interpret that "I have freedom" so incorrectly and can't see past the nose on their face.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #52
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would have called in sick.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #53
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I read about one person going on another forum. They said they spent about $5 in drinks (for a family of four) and $5 on the tip, but I'm guessing most tipped nothing.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 02-04-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #54
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Local newspaper posted some video from this morning at the downtown KC location:

Serving free Grand Slam breakfasts at Denny's

Ugh, that looks horrible.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #55
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
No kidding

I know this wouldn't have played well, but I wish someone would have been at the door and there was a sign saying something to the effect of:

*Please try to eat in a timely manner so everyone can take advantage of the offer
*And, as with any food promotion, please tip based on the theoretical full price of the food"

Your server would point these things out and only once you agreed would you be seated. Now, you could lie and say yes to both, leave no tip, and be one of those jackasses who I'm sure sat there for 2 hours, thinking things like "this is America, I have the freedom to do what I want". But I think that would have at least made some people more conscious of their surroundings. Then again, it always amazes me how many people interpret that "I have freedom" so incorrectly and can't see past the nose on their face.

SI

When someone (Quiksand, I think) posted the link to those restaurant.com gift certificates, I remember the certificates having something saying "Please remember to tip based on the full value of the meal."

Not that I needed the reminder, but I certainly know plenty of people who would.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 02-04-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #56
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if they dreamt up this promo in some part to try to make as many of their overpaid lifer type cooks and such walk out and quit. I worked as a line cook for nearly 10 years and can't imagine how horrible this was for the cooks.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #57
Logan
Head Coach

Denny's really has "overpaid" anythings?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #58
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Denny's really has "overpaid" anythings?

Grease...lots and lost of grease
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #59
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
No kidding

SI

Wow, I always tip half the price of what's comped. I guess that's a stupid idea. Of course, I only really eat at places I'd have eaten without the free food anyway and I do tend to get good service.