Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2003, 02:44 PM   #51
RonnieDobbs
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Butter_of_69
Is this ironic sarcasm?

Hehe, no, the peaceniks line was referring to the level of political debate at my college, which I was attempting to compare to the one here. The peaceniks (which does NOT mean anyone against war) make up the bulk of the anti-war movement at my college. The 1-2-3-4 We Don't Want Your Racist War, calls to indict Bush on war crimes, etc. The city I live in has had a sign that said "Welcome to the People's Republic of Cambridge" out front for a while, so I guess that's the root of it. Peaceniks are people without legitmate arguments, but full of imflammatory talk.

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers

RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:07 PM   #52
sabotai
General Manager

"The 1-2-3-4 We Don't Want Your Racist War, calls to indict Bush on war crimes, etc. The city I live in has had a sign that said "Welcome to the People's Republic of Cambridge" out front for a while, so I guess that's the root of it. Peaceniks are people without legitmate arguments, but full of imflammatory talk."

Damn commies....
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:13 PM   #53
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Its obvious that Darkiller has spent too much time hunched over his computer and too little time actually seeing what has been going on in the world. To him and all that side with hime, may I extend a big FUCK YOU. If you dont like this country, then take your wine drinking, cheese eating, contfrontation avoiding ass back to where ever it is you came from. I guess Darkiller supported Hitler,and thought we were terrorists for going to war with Germany.The only thing in his statement I like or agree with is the fact that his worthless pussy ass is gone. Good riddance.

Last edited by Noble_Platypus : 03-20-2003 at 03:17 PM.
Noble_Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:13 PM   #54
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Hey, if you want to leave, leave, no need to write why, kind of chickenshit isn't it?
Old 03-20-2003, 03:18 PM   #55
McSweeny
College Starter

god i hate this "i'm so right and you're so wrong" shit. No need to jump all over the guy because you don't agree with his opinions or his politics
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:24 PM   #56
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by Noble_Platypus
Its obvious that Darkiller has spent too much time hunched over his computer and too little time actually seeing what has been going on in the world. To him adn all that side with hime, may I extend a big FUCK YOU. If you dont like this country, then take your wine drinking, cheese eating, contfrontation avoiding ass back to where ever it is you came from. I guess Darkiller supported Hitler,and thought we were terrorists for going to war with Germany.The only thing in his statement I like or agree with is the fact that his worthless pussy ass is gone. Good riddance.

Because he said he supports Saddam and Hitler is God.
Here's a $1, buy a clue.

Chechnya - a region of Russia, not a country. There have actually been reports by those in the Russian government that the apartment bombings of years ago by the Chechens were actually done by the Russian Secret Service, to give Putin a platform to run on to get in office, and to give a reason to invade. They actually found a van-bomb over there a few years ago set up by the russian government, a live bomb, but they said it was for training purposes. Not saying this is the truth, just stuff that one of my professors (who lived in Russia for 5 years during this time, and who is one the most respected scholars of Russia in America) was told by some in the Russian government.

And I've actually used the "I don't think we should be attacking Iraq because I don't think they weren't an immediate threat to the US. If they had WMDs for the past 12 years and couldn't attack the US, why would they be able to do so now?" and was yelled down by pro-war people on this board. Face it, if you're not in the majority, you're derided until you feel there is no reason for you to respond.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:26 PM   #57
sabotai
General Manager

Well said Easy.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:27 PM   #58
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Face it, if you're not in the majority, you're derided until you feel there is no reason for you to respond.

Too bad you dont feel that way yet.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:30 PM   #59
Easy Mac

well, someone has to respond for the correct side
Old 03-20-2003, 03:32 PM   #60
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Took care of that for you. I got your back.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:33 PM   #61
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Why come out and say you don't agree with something so i am not going to post. Be a man and have a hunger strike.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:34 PM   #62
ctmason
High School JV

SEAT OPEN!
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:35 PM   #63
Easy Mac

Quote:
Took care of that for you. I got your back.

Last time a guy said he got my back, unpleasant things almost happened, you're not the same guy, are you?
Old 03-20-2003, 03:37 PM   #64
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

You wish. Nah, wasnt me. Darkiller left, remember?
Old 03-20-2003, 03:45 PM   #65
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

On another board I frequent, the pro-Bush/war stance is the clear minority (a bunch of musicians - whaddaya expect?). It's so one-sided and chock full of conspiracy theories and such that I stay away, posting the occasional smart-ass remark here and there but never getting into the substance of the debate because it would be useless.

Sounds like DK should have followed the same line here if he really felt that strongly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:56 PM   #66
TroyF
Coordinator

DK,

My first thought when I saw your headline was to be dissapointed and wish you wouldn't go. After reading your post, I wonder why I ever thought that. A terrorist state? 12 years wasn't enough? ALL PEOPLE in France and England are against the war?!?!?!

The last point there is an overgeneralization anyway you want to look at it. In short, it has little place in any debate.

The first point above is insulting. Until you show me the brilliant human rights record of the French and how they ALWAYS do what the UN requests (ie: Nuke tests in the Pacific, Iraqi embargo on oil, etc.), I will not respect you calling my nation a terroristic one.

Be sure to give us a ring the next time France is in trouble. Us terrorists will help bail you out again.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:57 PM   #67
Bee
Pro Starter

My last comment on Chechnya will be just to say, from my understanding they (like many other parts of the former USSR) declared their independence in 1991 during the collapse. Russia (because of OIL) attacked them in 1994 and were defeated in 1996. Despite an independant government, Russia refused to relinquish their demands on the oil..err I mean the lands of Chechnya. For political reasons, other countries wanting to boister the Russians during this time also did not recognize the government of Chechnya despite a great deal of international desire to do so. When the state beside Chechnya (starts with a D..but I don't want to have to go look it up ) tried to declare their independence from Russia (I guess everyone is trying to get away from their piss poor leadership), the "unrecognized country" of Chechnya tried to help them. That turned out to be a mistake because it brought the Russians back into direct conflict with Chechnya. So, they are not "officially" a country...like the Taliban was not "officially" a government. They have an army, a government and everything else and actually defeated the Russian army to break free of their rule in 1996. But yes, the international community has not recognized them as an "official" country.

Of course, this is all completely meaningless to my original point which everyone responding seems to be trying to avoid like the freaking plague.

Easy Mac,

I know that you have made some very good points that were ant-war and I respect your opinion in regards to many of those points. Some things you've said I disagree with, some I agree with. I know there are people on both sides of the war issue that are mindless zombies and attack any comment whether well thought out or not. I think we've all made comments "off the cuff" that were probably uncalled for, but that happens in these situations. Despite the occasional "off the cuff" comments, I think it's pretty easy to figure out who has put thought into the majority of their comments and who has not. That being said, there is no basis for DK's comments that I can see. And I like DK a lot.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 04:00 PM   #68
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

He was obviously upset, and some of obviously are too. Why doesn't everyone just cut each other a little slack here?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 04:04 PM   #69
rexalllsc
Banned

Take ChIraq with you! It's funny that a country, who 5 months ago helped pass a resolution (unanimously, btw) that promised serious consequences if Iraq didn't comply...is not against the war. They didn't comply in the mandated 30 days...

France & the UN = IRRELEVANT
rexalllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 04:06 PM   #70
rexalllsc
Banned

Re: Taking a break ...goodbye.

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkiller

I can't bear the fact that america went bypassing the UN.

BTW, the US DID go to the UN and asked them to BACK UP their own resolution which calls for compliance in 30 days...that was 5 months ago.

Maybe is the UN had a spine, this wouldn't have been necessary.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:08 PM   #71
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by rexalllsc
Take ChIraq with you! It's funny that a country, who 5 months ago helped pass a resolution (unanimously, btw) that promised serious consequences if Iraq didn't comply...is not against the war. They didn't comply in the mandated 30 days...

France & the UN = IRRELEVANT

SO you can call France's leader corrupt and crazy, but he can't reply n kind, makes sense. I think his comments were over the top, but i agree with sach.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:10 PM   #72
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
He was obviously upset, and some of obviously are too. Why doesn't everyone just cut each other a little slack here?

I agree. People need to take a chill. DK was upset at the pro-war slant of the board and was upset enough to leave despite being a long time contributer. Let it be and be sad that he is gone.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:11 PM   #73
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
SO you can call France's leader corrupt and crazy, but he can't reply n kind, makes sense. I think his comments were over the top, but i agree with sach.

Back it up with something. The US aren't the ones who are against a resolution that was passed 5 months ago. France declared their support for the US as late as December. They then said they'd veto ANY new resolution that included war.

The French ARE irrelevant.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:12 PM   #74
Tarkus
High School Varsity

I'd reply here but I'm afraid sabotai will accuse me of turning this thread into another anti-war/pro-war argument.

Tarkus
Old 03-20-2003, 04:14 PM   #75
HornsManiac

Quote:
Originally posted by Cards4ever
Hey, if you want to leave, leave, no need to write why, kind of chickenshit isn't it?

ROTFLMAO

Yep, it kind of reminds of the time TroyF posted that long 17 page explanation about why he was leaving this forum.

He never left.

Isn't it funny how the people who announce their decision to leave this forum never leave and the ones who do leave just bow out gracefully? Can somebody say "hungry for attention?"

HornsManiac
Old 03-20-2003, 04:15 PM   #76
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by John Galt
Let it be and be sad that he is gone.
I can not and will not be sad that he is gone. I suppose, though, that it makes you sad that someone who calls the US a terrorist country is gone.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:17 PM   #77
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Amen skydog
Old 03-20-2003, 04:18 PM   #78
HornsManiac

dola....

I just found out today that Dell was going to send about 200 of their top Sales Reps on an all expenses paid trip to Paris.

Now, they have decided to go to Hawaii. Gotta love that!!!!

Maybe more people will stop going to Paris and like someone else said stop buying their friggin Evian water.

HornsManiac
Old 03-20-2003, 04:21 PM   #79
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
I can not and will not be sad that he is gone. I suppose, though, that it makes you sad that someone who calls the US a terrorist country is gone.

Do you think it's true? Do you think that America is a terrorist country?

Last edited by sachmo71 : 03-20-2003 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:21 PM   #80
John Galt
Pro Starter

Description of Ad Hominem
Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man" or "against the person."

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:

Person A makes claim X.
Person B makes an attack on person A.
Therefore A's claim is false.
The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases) have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made).

Example of Ad Hominem

Bill: "I believe that abortion is morally wrong."
Dave: "Of course you would say that, you're a priest."
Bill: "What about the arguments I gave to support my position?"
Dave: "Those don't count. Like I said, you're a priest, so you have to say that abortion is wrong. Further, you are just a lackey to the Pope, so I can't believe what you say."
Old 03-20-2003, 04:27 PM   #81
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:

DK contributed a lot to this board in dynasties and otherwise. The fact that his politics differ from yours should not be reason to applaud his depature. His rhetoric was strong, but it hardly seems a reason to diminish his overall contributions to the board. And given what has been said about his country here, it hardly seems like his slam on the U.S. was that bad.

DK has contributed much more FOF related content to this board and people seem happy he is gone. Do you really believe FOFCentral, a diverse board with diverse interests would be better if all the anti-war people left?
Old 03-20-2003, 04:28 PM   #82
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Thanks John. Yes DK is wrong simply because he's French. It's that simple.

Tarkus
Old 03-20-2003, 04:29 PM   #83
Ben E Lou

Re: Taking a break ...goodbye.

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkiller
This makes USA a terrorist country...

People in Spain and people in England are ALL against war.

Also, I think we now have the confirmation that G.Bush jr is a psychotic, dangerous man...

...the UN inspectors were clearly doing their jobs and WOULD HAVE taken everything away from S.Hussein and Irak...

...this guy {Bush} is a bastard...

...As for his cock sucking buddy : Donald Rumsfeld, I don't know if I've seen a more hypocryte happy-of-himself kind of politician in years. He's a true dick...
Ad Hominem, huh? Remind me, which one of these was his "quality argument????"
Old 03-20-2003, 04:31 PM   #84
John Galt
Pro Starter

Re: Re: Taking a break ...goodbye.

Quote:
Ad Hominem, huh? Remind me, which one of these was his "quality argument????"

I'm not defending DK's arguments (note my original post where I say I agree in spirit, but not details), but the attacks on him seem to be almost entirely ad hom's. In fact, it seems like lots of the war debates devolve that way. I just thought cutting a definition of an ad hom off the web would be a simple way to point that out. DK was venting - I wouldn't read too much into it and just let it be.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:32 PM   #85
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
DK contributed a lot to this board in dynasties and otherwise. The fact that his politics differ from yours should not be reason to applaud his depature. His rhetoric was strong, but it hardly seems a reason to diminish his overall contributions to the board. And given what has been said about his country here, it hardly seems like his slam on the U.S. was that bad.

DK has contributed much more FOF related content to this board and people seem happy he is gone. Do you really believe FOFCentral, a diverse board with diverse interests would be better if all the anti-war people left?

If he'd just come in and said he was really troubled by the fact that the US had attacked without UN approval I don't think he would have gotten anything close to the response he got. But calling America a terrorist nation he made it personal, and either he's a total idiot, or he was well aware of the response that was going to bring. I myself have responded too strongly at various times, but the vast majority of the time I've had the balls to come back and either edit the original post, or apologize for overreacting. He's done neither. He had to know what he was getting into when he made that first post.

Tarkus

Last edited by Tarkus : 03-20-2003 at 04:34 PM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 04:33 PM   #86
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Skydog,

Do you think it's possible that Darkiller is especially angry because today is the start of the war? Maybe on top of that, he's having a bad day? I would hope that you wouldn't take all of his contributions to this board and throw them out the window because of one poorly thought-out post. All I ask is that you give him the benefit of the doubt before celebrating his departure.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:34 PM   #87
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
But calling America a terrorist nation he made it personal

Hmmmm . . . insulting a nation is personal . . . "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

And of course, all those insults of the French meant nothing?
Old 03-20-2003, 04:34 PM   #88
Ben E Lou

Quote:
DK contributed a lot to this board in dynasties and otherwise.
Agreed.
Quote:
The fact that his politics differ from yours should not be reason to applaud his depature.
Huh. There are several people whose politics differ from mine around here. Read the quotes though. The difference is that he just threw logic out the window and went completely emotion-based, and in so doing, just said some utterly ridiculous things. I'm perfectly fine with anyone that blind to reality leaving.

Quote:
Do you really believe FOFCentral, a diverse board with diverse interests would be better if all the anti-war people left?
If a "pro-war" person used threw such ridiculous stuff around, I'd be glad he was gone too.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:35 PM   #89
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Skydog,

Do you think it's possible that Darkiller is especially angry because today is the start of the war? Maybe on top of that, he's having a bad day? I would hope that you wouldn't take all of his contributions to this board and throw them out the window because of one poorly thought-out post. All I ask is that you give him the benefit of the doubt before celebrating his departure.

At this point he's had enough time to cool down and modify his comments if he'd so desired.

Tarkus
Old 03-20-2003, 04:37 PM   #90
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Skydog,

I've said many times before that I have little/no understanding of a guy letting his emotions take over like that.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:40 PM   #91
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

He has time to think about it. Its not like he is talking to us and it spills out before he can stop himself. He had to think about as he was writing. Plus, Tarkus is right, he has had enough time to think about what he wrote and either edit it or apologize for flying off the handle. The fact that he hasnt proves that it was a momentary thing, he wrote what he really thinks.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:43 PM   #92
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
He has time to think about it. Its not like he is talking to us and it spills out before he can stop himself. He had to think about as he was writing. Plus, Tarkus is right, he has had enough time to think about what he wrote and either edit it or apologize for flying off the handle. The fact that he hasnt proves that it was a momentary thing, he wrote what he really thinks.

So, when you are you editing your rude, angry, emotional posts above?

I guess you are American and you don't have to apologize.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:45 PM   #93
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I am not editing my posts because I wrote what I think.
Am I to take it from what you wrote that you arent an american?
Old 03-20-2003, 04:48 PM   #94
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am not editing my posts because I wrote what I think.
Am I to take it from what you wrote that you arent an american?

I see - DK SHOULD edit because he wrote what he thought. You SHOULDN'T edit yours because you wrote what you thought.

And no, I am an American. I just recognize that Americans seem to apologize for very little lately.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:50 PM   #95
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
I've said many times before that I have little/no understanding of a guy letting his emotions take over like that.

Well, that's pretty harsh. It happens to us humans from time to time. Maybe it's easy for you to control your emotions, but some people aren't so lucky. I guess if we all could, we wouldn't need moderators, right?

Quote:

Maybe you could give him a night to sleep on it? It's still the first day of the war, and everyone is a little out of sorts. Add to the fact the French-bashing that has been going on...well, maybe give him a week?

Really, it doesn't matter. If you guys want to hold these comments as gospel on how Darkiller views life, that's your deal. My purpose was only to try to get people to stop beating a dead horse. Continue flogging, guys.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:50 PM   #96
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I never said that DK should edit it or apologize. I said that he didnt write something in the heat of the moment that he didnt fully think or believe, because if he had he would have either edited it or said he didnt mean it. WTF? Do you even read the post before you get on your high horse and enlighten us on how evil we are?
Old 03-20-2003, 04:52 PM   #97
cmp
Pro Rookie

I still love to hear people say the U.S. has no support in this war when 40+ countries all support what we are doing in Iraq.

I just wish that all the people saying we have no right to start a war with Iraq and get rid of Saddam would go and live in Iraq under Saddam's rule for a year. Let's see what they think about the situation then.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 04:53 PM   #98
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

SHould us "evil americans" apologize for being mean to the al queda? I mean , its not like they hijack planes and fly them into innocent civilians or anything. Umm, wait a minute....
Old 03-20-2003, 04:53 PM   #99
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
I never said that DK should edit it or apologize. I said that he didnt write something in the heat of the moment that he didnt fully think or believe, because if he had he would have either edited it or said he didnt mean it. WTF? Do you even read the post before you get on your high horse and enlighten us on how evil we are?

He's got ya there John.

Tarkus
Old 03-20-2003, 04:55 PM   #100
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Thanks Tarkus. Nice to know that someone is actually reading the posts.