Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #51
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I guess the best scenario for me would involve Bill Cowher coming in to replace Cameron. Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas would be traded to the Colts so that they'd get a chance to go out as champions. This is all assuming that Huzienga wouldn't sell the team. If he would, that'd be even better.

Cowher is a horrid coach, and the Dolphins would not benefit from him joining them at all. I have been a Dolphins, Steelers, and Lions fan almost my entire life. Cowher did nothing in Pittsburgh to warrant such high praise. He is like Torre with the Yankees, he had good players and a good owner, yet he only won 1 super bowl and only went to 2 of them.

Miami needs to give Cameron another year or 2 to see what he can do as a coach in the NFL. One year is not enough time, especially with the crap he has had to deal with this season. At least they got a 2nd rounder for Chris Chambers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.

RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #52
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Jason Taylor is 34. Doubt they get anything like a 1st or 2nd.

True, but he is an absolute stud at DE. At 34, he is still one of the top 5 DE's in the NFL. A team like the Colts, Chargers, Packers, and even the Steelers could benefit from a player like Taylor. I doubt the Dolphins could get a 1st round pick for him, but a 2nd rounder is feasible.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #53
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'd actually prefer Jon Gruden or Mike Shanahan, but Cowher seems to be the best out of who will realistically be available.

None of the above. Cowher is way overrated, Shanahan is also overrated, Gruden is a jerk. I suppose Gruden would be ok if we can look past his personality. Realistically, Miami should stick with Cameron for another year or 2 at least to see what he can do. One season does not make a coaching career, especially with the garbage he has to deal with this season.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2007, 01:23 PM   #54
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
None of the above. Cowher is way overrated, Shanahan is also overrated, Gruden is a jerk. I suppose Gruden would be ok if we can look past his personality. Realistically, Miami should stick with Cameron for another year or 2 at least to see what he can do. One season does not make a coaching career, especially with the garbage he has to deal with this season.

How many coaches currently in the NFL are better than Cowher? All of them? Half of them? More than one?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #55
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Cowher is a horrid coach, and the Dolphins would not benefit from him joining them at all. I have been a Dolphins, Steelers, and Lions fan almost my entire life. Cowher did nothing in Pittsburgh to warrant such high praise. He is like Torre with the Yankees, he had good players and a good owner, yet he only won 1 super bowl and only went to 2 of them.

Miami needs to give Cameron another year or 2 to see what he can do as a coach in the NFL. One year is not enough time, especially with the crap he has had to deal with this season. At least they got a 2nd rounder for Chris Chambers.

I don't understand all the Angst about Cameron. He's only been here a year, and the team was awful before him. They've got one star on offense (r. Brown) and one or two players on defense who are respectable (and are going to be around when the team is competitive again). This team needs a full rebuild, and swapping coaches every year isnt going to help.

The dolphins got way more than they should have trading Chambers. He's had the lowest catch rate in the nfl for the last 4 years. He's like a WR with 0 avoid drops, 0 adjust to the ball, and 100 route running. Tons of targets, mediocre stats.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #56
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True, but he is an absolute stud at DE. At 34, he is still one of the top 5 DE's in the NFL. A team like the Colts, Chargers, Packers, and even the Steelers could benefit from a player like Taylor. I doubt the Dolphins could get a 1st round pick for him, but a 2nd rounder is feasible.

not to rip on you, but you're out of your mind.

The Raiders got a 4th for Randy Moss. Who is younger, and plays a harder-to-fill position.

given you can counter with "well randy had character issues and concerns." but then i counter with "but he is younger and plays a harder-to-fill with equivelent talent" position.

the fins would have to be satisfied with a 4th for Taylor. MAYBE a third depending on who they draft with. You're dreaming if you think they get a 2nd.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #57
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post

The dolphins got way more than they should have trading Chambers. He's had the lowest catch rate in the nfl for the last 4 years. He's like a WR with 0 avoid drops, 0 adjust to the ball, and 100 route running. Tons of targets, mediocre stats.

HAHAHA...well said
Old 12-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #58
MikeVic
Head Coach

I like Cowher. Great motivator.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #59
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
How many coaches currently in the NFL are better than Cowher? All of them? Half of them? More than one?

I am not sure how many are better, probably not very many. That is more of a reflection on how bad NFL coaching is than on how good Cowher is. Only 2 super bowls with one win in 15 years or something is not that great. Who cares if he won 10 games nearly every year? Super Bowls are what matters, and Cowher did not deliver. With that being said, there probably are not many coaches in the NFL whom are better than him. It is a sad state of affairs:

Tony Dungy - Colts
Bill Belichek - Patriots
Mike Holmgren - Seahawks
Jon Gruden - Buccaneers
Andy Reid - Eagles
Mike McCarthy - Packers
Jeff Fisher - Titans
Jack Del Rio - Jaguars

A few others are decent but unproven (Lane Kiffin - Raiders, Ken Whisenhut - Cardinals, Mike Tomlin - Steelers).

Quote:
Old 12-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #60
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
The Raiders got a 4th for Randy Moss. Who is younger, and plays a harder-to-fill position.

WR is a harder to fill position than DE? Since when?

The NFL obviously disagrees (based on cap numbers)
Old 12-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #61
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

what better?

better
belichick
dungy
del rio
fisher
phillips?
mccarthy
holmgren

push
jauron
tomlin
crennel
kubiak
shannahannamontana
edwards
coughlin
reid
fox
gruden
payton
childress
marinara
whisenhunt

cowher better
cameron
mangina
lewis
bilick
kiffin
turner
gibbs
ghost of petrino
smith
nolan
linehan
Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #62
Kodos
Resident Alien

Look, I suffered through Cameron for years at IU. He needs to be fired NOW from the Dolphins. He is not head coach material.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #63
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I am not sure how many are better, probably not very many. That is more of a reflection on how bad NFL coaching is than on how good Cowher is. Only 2 super bowls with one win in 15 years or something is not that great. Who cares if he won 10 games nearly every year? Super Bowls are what matters, and Cowher did not deliver. With that being said, there probably are not many coaches in the NFL whom are better than him. It is a sad state of affairs:

Tony Dungy - Colts
Bill Belichek - Patriots
Mike Holmgren - Seahawks
Jon Gruden - Buccaneers
Andy Reid - Eagles
Mike McCarthy - Packers
Jeff Fisher - Titans
Jack Del Rio - Jaguars

A few others are decent but unproven (Lane Kiffin - Raiders, Ken Whisenhut - Cardinals, Mike Tomlin - Steelers).

Good luck getting one of these guys as your coach. If all you care about are Super Bowl wins, why are some of those guys even mentioned? And how are Kiffin, Whisenhut, and Tomlin even in the discussion?? You're bat-shit crazy.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #64
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

with an equivelent-caliber player. there are many more "Jason Taylor" -esque players in the league then there are "Randy Moss" -esque players
Old 12-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #65
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
what better?

push
shannahannamontana

I watch that sometimes.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #66
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

I agree. A typical NFL team carries as many as 8 Wide Receivers, but usually only 4, maybe 5 Defensive Ends on the roster.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #67
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Yeah, I think he's going to bust myself and I was prepared to be disgruntled when the Dolphins picked him.

...But when they took Ginn, I went ballistic.

It sucks when disgruntled is a huge step forward doesn't it?
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #68
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
what better?

better
belichick
dungy
del rio
fisher
phillips?
mccarthy
holmgren

push
jauron
tomlin
crennel
kubiak
shannahannamontana
edwards
coughlin
reid
fox
gruden
payton
childress
marinara
whisenhunt

cowher better
cameron
mangina
lewis
bilick
kiffin
turner
gibbs
ghost of petrino
smith
nolan
linehan

LOL - ghost of petrino

Quote:
Old 12-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #69
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree. A typical NFL team carries as many as 8 Wide Receivers, but usually only 4, maybe 5 Defensive Ends on the roster.

i disagree. of those WR's...only 3 will see a decent % of the snaps on MOST teams.

the other 5 are practice team / kickoff team type guys. And of those 3, there's only one #1. Where with DE's you have teams that carry 2 pro-bowl caliber DE's, and teams like the Pats where they have 3-4 starting-caliber guys.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #70
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
with an equivelent-caliber player. there are many more "Jason Taylor" -esque players in the league then there are "Randy Moss" -esque players

Thats because Randy Moss is a singular talent. It has nothing to do with wide receivers as a whole.

And No, there aren't a lot of Jason Tayloresque players arount. Theres pretty much no one like him: as big as a DE, fast and agile enough to be a linebacker. Adalius Thomas is the closest thing, and hes making $8m a year.

Defensive Ends make more money than Wide Receivers. That means they're more valuable.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #71
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thats because Randy Moss is a singular talent. It has nothing to do with wide receivers as a whole.

And No, there aren't a lot of Jason Tayloresque players arount. Theres pretty much no one like him: as big as a DE, fast and agile enough to be a linebacker. Adalius Thomas is the closest thing, and hes making $8m a year.

Defensive Ends make more money than Wide Receivers. That means they're more valuable.

you just argued that randy moss was a singular talent and then basically said that jason taylor was too. correct? so normal "rules" should not necessarily apply to them.

that being said...you think the LOLphins get more for Taylor at 34 years old then the Raiders got for Moss at 30?

I'd take that bet anyday.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-12-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #72
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
i
the other 5 are practice team / kickoff team type guys. And of those 3, there's only one #1. Where with DE's you have teams that carry 2 pro-bowl caliber DE's, and teams like the Pats where they have 3-4 starting-caliber guys.

Teams like the Pats also carry 4-5 starting quality WRs. Teams like the Broncos don't carry a single Starting Quality DE.

A good DE makes more of a difference (and is worth more) than a good WR. Randy Moss is a game changing talent, like Reggie White.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #73
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Good luck getting one of these guys as your coach. If all you care about are Super Bowl wins, why are some of those guys even mentioned? And how are Kiffin, Whisenhut, and Tomlin even in the discussion?? You're bat-shit crazy.

I may be crazy, but I ain't no bat-shit crazy .

Whisenhut has done pretty well with a pathetic, injury riddled Cardinals team. The same with Kiffin, although to a lesser degree. Tomlin has only gone 9-4 in his first season. Yes, the Steelers have talent, but teams don't just win with talent, it takes coaching too. If it didn't, Petrino would be preparing for the playoffs right now instead of jumping ship to Arkansas.

As for the other coaches, I was not looking to get one of them as a coach, I was only listing the ones I feel are better than Cowher.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #74
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
you just argued that randy moss was a singular talent and then basically said that jason taylor was too. correct? so normal "rules" should not necessarily apply to them.

that being said...you think the LOLphins get more for Taylor at 34 years old then the Raiders got for Moss at 30?

That I don't know. Randy is a once in a generation talent. Taylor is an extremely good player, but theres only a handful of teams that could use a 34 year old hybrid DE/OLB... the Steelers and Pats are the only teams I can think of. Nobody else has that same scheme and is close enough to a superbow that they'd trade for a 35 year old player.

Everyone could use a 30 year old WR.

If we were talking a 34 year old Dwight Freeney, I'd take that bet any day of the week.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #75
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If we were talking a 34 year old Dwight Freeney, I'd take that bet any day of the week.

Really?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #76
rkmsuf
Head Coach

57 year old ditka is the one I'd take
Old 12-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #77
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Whisenhut has done pretty well with a pathetic, injury riddled Cardinals team. The same with Kiffin, although to a lesser degree. Tomlin has only gone 9-4 in his first season. Yes, the Steelers have talent, but teams don't just win with talent, it takes coaching too. If it didn't, Petrino would be preparing for the playoffs right now instead of jumping ship to Arkansas.

The falcons aren't in the playoffs because the team has no defense, no quarterback, and an offensive line that is built to zone block and is being asked to man-block.

Its got very little to do with coaching.

The steelers won a superbowl 2 years ago, and went 8-8 last year without their starting QB. I think their record this year has very little to do with coaching, and everything to do with talent.

If you want to say that Tomlin is doing a great job because the steelers are 9-4, then Norv Turner is doing a great job with the Chargers at 8-5. The teams have similar talent, and similar records.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #78
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

The Raiders have proven that they are just as stupid as Miami in regards to personnel moves. Raiders gave up Moss for a 4th round pick, Dolphins essentially let Wes Welker go for nothing. Both of those players are worth way more than the end cost to the Patriots. The same is true for Jason Taylor. He is a top talent at a usually thin position in the NFL. How many DE's in the NFL are better than him, even right now? Not many. Miami can draft a wide receiver in the first few rounds that could be a game-changer, but try doing that with a DE and it just doesn't happen? Who is the last star DE that didn't come in the first 2 rounds of the draft? Randy Moss is a game changing WR, just as Jason Taylor is at DE. Across the board, DE is a harder position to fill than WR.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #79
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

poll posted
Old 12-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #80
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
The falcons aren't in the playoffs because the team has no defense, no quarterback, and an offensive line that is built to zone block and is being asked to man-block.

Its got very little to do with coaching.

The steelers won a superbowl 2 years ago, and went 8-8 last year without their starting QB. I think their record this year has very little to do with coaching, and everything to do with talent.

If you want to say that Tomlin is doing a great job because the steelers are 9-4, then Norv Turner is doing a great job with the Chargers at 8-5. The teams have similar talent, and similar records.

Not true. The Steelers were not expected to be quite as successful as they have been so far this year. The Chargers, on the other hand, went 14-2 last year and were expected to go to the super bowl this year. A Chargers team at 8-5 is a disappointment, while a Steelers team at 9-4 is somewhat of a surprise considering the coaching change and loss of a star LB (Porter), albeit he is on a decline.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #81
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
The Raiders have proven that they are just as stupid as Miami in regards to personnel moves. Raiders gave up Moss for a 4th round pick, Dolphins essentially let Wes Welker go for nothing.

I don't think the Raiders did so badly in that.

Moss said he'd only renegotiate for the Patriots, so they were looking at trading (what appeared to be) a bad receiver with an $11M cap hit. He obviously wasn't going to play for the Raiders, so without the trade to the Pats, chances are he would have been cut.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #82
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Not true. The Steelers were not expected to be quite as successful as they have been so far this year. The Chargers, on the other hand, went 14-2 last year and were expected to go to the super bowl this year. A Chargers team at 8-5 is a disappointment, while a Steelers team at 9-4 is somewhat of a surprise considering the coaching change and loss of a star LB (Porter), albeit he is on a decline.

The Steelers weren't expected to be good this year? By who? They were bad last year for the sole reason that Roethlisburger was hurt the whole year. Anyone who didn't expect them to win a couple more games is ridiculous.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #83
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Steelers weren't expected to be good this year? By who? They were bad last year for the sole reason that Roethlisburger was hurt the whole year. Anyone who didn't expect them to win a couple more games is ridiculous.

Quickest I could find:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/previe...ory?id=2984130

It seems that only 5 out of the 16 ESPN experts thought the Steelers would make the playoffs and all but 1 thought it'd be as the Wild Card.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #84
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Who is a bigger disaster, Cameron or Isiah?

hxxp://sportsyenta.blogspot.com/2007/12/tale-of-tape-cam-vs-zeke.html

Isiah is hands-down, the worst GM of any team, in any league, in history.:o

Quote:
Old 12-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #85
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Quickest I could find:

It seems that only 5 out of the 16 ESPN experts thought the Steelers would make the playoffs and all but 1 thought it'd be as the Wild Card.

You do realize that almost all of the ESPN "experts" picked all of last years division winners to win their divisions this year, right?

Last edited by Synovia : 12-12-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #86
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Quickest I could find:

Thank you for validating my argument. As I stated earlier, most people thought the Steelers were finished because:

1) Ben Roethlesberger was "overrated" (obviously not true)
2) A coaching change would doom the team (obviously not true)
3) Last year's 8-8 record was a sign of things to come (not true)

With a rookie coach, the Steelers will better last year's record even if they lose their remaining 3 games (unlikely).

Quote:
Old 12-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #87
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
With a rookie coach, the Steelers will better last year's record even if they lose their remaining 3 games (unlikely).

With a Rookie coach and a healthy quarterback.

Kind of like the Jets last year. The difference between an good healthy starting QB and a fungible backup is 4 or 5 games a year.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #88
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
With a Rookie coach and a healthy quarterback.

Kind of like the Jets last year. The difference between an good healthy starting QB and a fungible backup is 4 or 5 games a year.

Very true.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #89
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I think most, including the guys at Football Outsiders, had the Steelers as a borderline playoff team.

Pro Football Prospectus had their 2007 Mean Projection at 9.1 wins, Baltimore at 9.0, and Cincinatti at 8.7 so they basically saw the division as a toss up. So I wouldn't say they were expected to be bad, but I wouldn't call that good either. Considering they were coming into the season with a rookie head coach, I can understand the pessimism.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #90
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I think most, including the guys at Football Outsiders, had the Steelers as a borderline playoff team.

Pro Football Prospectus had their 2007 Mean Projection at 9.1 wins, Baltimore at 9.0, and Cincinatti at 8.7 so they basically saw the division as a toss up. So I wouldn't say they were expected to be bad, but I wouldn't call that good either. Considering they were coming into the season with a rookie head coach, I can understand the pessimism.
Ending up as an 11-5 to 12-4 team seems fully within standard deviation of 9.1. The 9.1 was based on the assumption that Baltimore wouldn't lose McNair for almost the entire season, and fall into suck. Two more wins in the division because of that....

FO also doesn't account for Roethlisburger being healthy, and gave them a severe penalty in their predictions for a new coach.

Last edited by Synovia : 12-12-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #91
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Aww man, I saw that this thread had about 40 more posts since lunchtime, I came in expecting that the OP had finally snapped and murdered Wayne Huizenga or that Cam Cameron had resigned or something. Oh well.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #92
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Aww man, I saw that this thread had about 40 more posts since lunchtime, I came in expecting that the OP had finally snapped and murdered Wayne Huizenga or that Cam Cameron had resigned or something. Oh well.

LOL - Huizenga is attempting to murder the Dolphin franchise much like he did to Blockbuster Video. Trade Ricky Williams for a 7th round pick and a song!!!

Quote:

Last edited by RomaGoth : 12-12-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #93
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
LOL - Huizenga is attempting to murder the Dolphin franchise much like he did to Blockbuster Video. Trade Ricky Williams for a 7th round pick and a song!!!

Attempting? He already has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:04 PM   #94
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What do I want to happen this offseason? I want someone to wake me up and tell me that the last 10 years were a nightmare and that Huizenga is stupid but he'd never be stupid enough to hire a sub-.500 college coach to run an NFL team and that Jimmy has just taken Randy Moss in the 1st round.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:21 AM   #95
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

As a Pats fan, I heartily endorse Cam Cameron to remain as Dolphins coach for the next decade.

As for Taylor, one can argue in his favor all you want, but he is too old for any team to pay a high price in picks. Over the years I have noticed that youth as much as talent plays a big role in trade value. Nobody wants to shell out a high pick for a guy that will only contribute maybe for another year or two (but usually want a renegotiated contract well beyond his "sell by" date).
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:32 AM   #96
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:

Tony Dungy - Colts
Bill Belichek - Patriots
Mike Holmgren - Seahawks
Jon Gruden - Buccaneers
Andy Reid - Eagles
Mike McCarthy - Packers
Jeff Fisher - Titans
Jack Del Rio - Jaguars

Ok, you are making 0 sense. You say the point to measure them by is Superbowls.

Yet Andy Reid has only been to 1 and lost.
Mike McCarth has been to zero.
Jeff Fisher has been to one and lost.
Del Rio been to zero.
Dungy has been to one.
Homgren has been to 3 but has lost 2 of them.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:13 AM   #97
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Um, Jeff Fisher stinks. Seriously, what about his record and playoff history makes people think this guy is a decent coach?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #98
Kodos
Resident Alien

He came up a yard short in a Super Bowl?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #99
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
As a Pats fan, I heartily endorse Cam Cameron to remain as Dolphins coach for the next decade.

As for Taylor, one can argue in his favor all you want, but he is too old for any team to pay a high price in picks. Over the years I have noticed that youth as much as talent plays a big role in trade value. Nobody wants to shell out a high pick for a guy that will only contribute maybe for another year or two (but usually want a renegotiated contract well beyond his "sell by" date).

Very good points. I would guess that Taylor has 2-3 years left, and probably 1 or 2 after that where he should have retired already. Either way, if I was close to a super bowl, (i.e. San Diego, Indianapolis, Green Bay), I would consider picking up a guy like Taylor because all you need him for is 2-3 more years. At that point, a guy like Favre will retire anyway (if not sooner) and your window has closed again to win a super bowl.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 09:48 AM   #100
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
Ok, you are making 0 sense. You say the point to measure them by is Superbowls.

Yet Andy Reid has only been to 1 and lost.
Mike McCarth has been to zero.
Jeff Fisher has been to one and lost.
Del Rio been to zero.
Dungy has been to one.
Homgren has been to 3 but has lost 2 of them.

I see your point. Perhaps I should explain it differently. Most of the people whom love Bill Cowher are saying "oh wow, he got us a super bowl win". So what???? For as long as he coached in Pittsburgh, he only won 1 freaking super bowl and lost the other one he went to. Let me compare the other coaches again:

Andy Reid = 1 super bowl (lost) - true, but he is arguably in one of the most difficult cities to coach a sports team in. He has, however, underachieved.

Mike McCarthy = 0 super bowls - true, but he has only been the coach in Green Bay for 2 years (including this one). Considering that, he has done an excellent job so far, especially with little to no running game.

Jeff Fisher = 1 super bowl (lost) - true, but he has done a decent job with a team that is not a major sports market for pro sports.

Jack Del Rio = 0 super bowl - true, he has also done a decent job in a small market area, and he is still pretty young for a coach.

Tony Dungy = 1 super bowl (won) - true, he is a good coach whom does not get the credit he deserves for turning Tampa Bay around. Gruden is a good coach, but Dungy is the reason that Tampa team won the super bowl.

Mike Holmgren = 3 super bowls (1 win, 2 losses) - true, but how many current or recent coaches have been to 3 super bowls? Bill Belichek, and who else?

So, yes you are correct in that I was making no sense. I will place less emphasis on super bowl wins over a shorter career, but more on a longer career and other factors, such as where the team is located, the market size, and the ownership. Bill Cowher underachieved in Pittsburgh. He had some awesome defenses and a decent offense most of the time he was there, yet he barely won 1 super bowl. I guarantee if he goes to Miami he will fail miserably and retire again. Of course, Miami right now is a giant cesspool as a pro franchise. So I digress......

Quote: