Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #51
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Because iTunes is a huge revenue generator, so likely gets more attention than the browser or media player?

Good point, but also why I was looking for specific experience to rather than trying to rely on my past experience with other tools, that's all.

gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #52
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
As for gstelmack, he seems like a prime candidate for a WP7 device. Why is waiting until mid-year not an option? Or moving from Verizon to another carrier for that matter?

A couple of reasons here:

1) My wife and I have had great experiences with Verizon on two separate occasions now (with an interlude down to VirginMobile for a prepaid plan before Verizon's became sane). And Verizon gets good reception at work, where AT&T doesn't (Sprint is okay, T-Mobile I'm unsure of). From my work window I can see a Verizon tower not too far away on one of their development buildings And work cellphone access is critical right now. Also Verizon has recently given me good cell reception at home, something that did not work too long ago and certainly wasn't working with Virgin Mobile and has not worked for anyone with a different carrier, so Verizon leaves open the possibility of dumping the landline without adding one of the network hotspots that translates the cell to VOIP at home.

2) Work-related reasons are forcing me into a smartphone in the relatively short-term (I absolutely cannot go into specifics). Waiting a couple of weeks may be okay, waiting until June or later is likely to be problematic.

3) While I like the IDEA of Windows Mobile 7, I have also been through owning a Dell Axim x51 (and my wife having an older Dell Axim x3), dealing with Microsoft obsoleting the old Mobile OSes as they upped operating systems versions (my wife had to upgrade because hers would not synch with Vista), and I've generally watched Microsoft botch the mobile OS space. I love my Zune, and I'd love to code with XNA for WP7, but I don't know that I trust Microsoft here, much as it pains me to say it.

But if WP7 was available on Verizon in the next few weeks, yes I'd be taking a very hard look, and honestly it would probably win out. I only started looking at the iPhone and Android because reports were Microsoft would not have a CDMA WP7 for Verizon for many months at least.

Last edited by gstelmack : 02-07-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #53
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
A couple of reasons here:

1) My wife and I have had great experiences with Verizon on two separate occasions now (with an interlude down to VirginMobile for a prepaid plan before Verizon's became sane). And Verizon gets good reception at work, where AT&T doesn't (Sprint is okay, T-Mobile I'm unsure of). From my work window I can see a Verizon tower not too far away on one of their development buildings And work cellphone access is critical right now. Also Verizon has recently given me good cell reception at home, something that did not work too long ago and certainly wasn't working with Virgin Mobile and has not worked for anyone with a different carrier, so Verizon leaves open the possibility of dumping the landline without adding one of the network hotspots that translates the cell to VOIP at home.

2) Work-related reasons are forcing me into a smartphone in the relatively short-term (I absolutely cannot go into specifics). Waiting a couple of weeks may be okay, waiting until June or later is likely to be problematic.

3) While I like the IDEA of Windows Mobile 7, I have also been through owning a Dell Axim x51 (and my wife having an older Dell Axim x3), dealing with Microsoft obsoleting the old Mobile OSes as they upped operating systems versions (my wife had to upgrade because hers would not synch with Vista), and I've generally watched Microsoft botch the mobile OS space. I love my Zune, and I'd love to code with XNA for WP7, but I don't know that I trust Microsoft here, much as it pains me to say it.

But if WP7 was available on Verizon in the next few weeks, yes I'd be taking a very hard look, and honestly it would probably win out. I only started looking at the iPhone and Android because reports were Microsoft would not have a CDMA WP7 for Verizon for many months at least.

That sucks about the timing because for things like syncing with Zune and Office I'm not sure how you could beat wp7. You are correct to be wary of MS in the mobile space, though, that is a very fair criticism.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #54
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
That sucks about the timing because for things like syncing with Zune and Office I'm not sure how you could beat wp7. You are correct to be wary of MS in the mobile space, though, that is a very fair criticism.

Agreed, that's why I was hoping to get some first-hand accounts of synching this type of data.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #55
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Doubletwist has a lot of limitations. I don't remember what, but when I tried installing it, I couldn't get it to do everything I wanted it to.

Without knowing specific apps, this was basically my general impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #56
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Without knowing specific apps, this was basically my general impression.

Me neither. I tried it out, and was able to move a playlist (I forget if it was a smart playlist) to my phone. I could change ratings, but I'm not sure if I would have been able to make those ratings get back on to my itunes (which is all I wanted).
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #57
Barkeep49
Coordinator

On Verizion and I got an LG Ally as a 1 year place holder until I could get an iPhone. I now think I will stick with Android. A big part of this is that my work uses Google Aps for its Email, so that comparability is useful. But I also like the fact that my phone has a physical keyboard. I own an iPod Touch and cannot type anywhere near as quickly on it as I can on my Ally.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #58
gstelmack
Pro Starter

FWIW, looks like the final decision here is iPhone for the wife, HTC Thunderbolt for me when it finally hits, if it's before the end of February, otherwise I'll probably snag a Droid X. We'll check them both out over the next year or so and see if either of us needs to switch.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #59
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Apparently the Thunderbolt got pushed back to the 24th... interestingly just right after the 14 day return window for the iPhone expires.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #60
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Apparently the Thunderbolt got pushed back to the 24th... interestingly just right after the 14 day return window for the iPhone expires.

I had heard this speculation a lot over the last week.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #61
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Wait, I need an actual honest-to-goodness MAC if I want to develop for iPhone? I was starting to reconsider with all the Thunderbolt delays, but that knocks the iPhone right out. Guess it really is either a Thunderbolt, or maybe that will take long enough to get out I'll just wait for a Windows Phone 7 phone on Verizon. I've already talked myself out of just going ahead and buying a Droid X or Incredible.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #62
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Hopefully these new rumors of the 3rd or the 4th are correct on the Thunderbolt. The delays are ridiculous. I've read everything from the 4G not being ready to what I believe to be more of the truth in that there was a battery issue. Supposedly demo phones were only getting 3 hours from full to zero. Apparently thats fixed with a firmwire update because it had something to do with the phone constantly looking for the network. I'm not too sure. All speculation.

Hopefully you get it within the next week, gstelmack.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #63
cougarfreak
College Starter

I just got the HTC inspire through ATT for $99, and it was a hell of a buy IMO.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #64
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Just bought my DroidX a couple of hours ago. It wasn't so much the delay on the Thunderbolt as the fact that the price seems to have crept up to $300 based on all the Best Buy flyers, including the one I picked up at a Best Buy Mobile store yesterday. I just don't think the Thunderbolt has $150 worth of improvements over what I'm reading about the Droid X. Might be a mistake, but I'd rather save the money.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #65
stevew
Hall Of Famer

All my friends with the DroidX absolutely love it. My friend has this nifty window mount for it, which enables it to work as a MP3 player, a navigation system and handsfree calling.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #66
gstelmack
Pro Starter

That mount looks cool. Wonder if I can flip it over and attach it to my GPS beanbag mount. I hate actually attaching to the window since that's like a big sign saying "break into my car please!". But having it customize the UI for those items would be awesome.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #67
Logan
Head Coach

I ordered a Droid X a couple days ago too, and that was only after the Thunderbolt delay to the 4th (or 10th...) when it seems like it could even be April at this point. I'm still on an old BB Curve and it is literally dying a slow death and just couldn't wait anymore.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #68
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Music. As mentioned above, I've got my entire CD collection ripped into WMA format, available to Windows Media Player, Media Center, and in Zune and syncs nicely to my current Zune player. I'll want to continue using Media Center to play music on my current PC (2 other PCs also access it, plus my 360 and both Blu-Ray players, so we can listen throughout the house), and I also want to easily synch to the phones. Any experiences here syncing Windows Media files to either Android or iPhone?

Heh, with the Droid X there are apparently several music synch options (Droid has one, Verizon has one, and who knows how many free ones), or I can just copy the whole blasted music directory (or subsets if I really want to) to the card and be done with it. Me likey that last option...

And to give equal time in case anyone else uses this thread for the same reason I did, my wife really likes the way iTunes handles her Outlook synching for her iPhone, better than the various PDAs she's tried in the past. After synching her home contacts, she realised they were out of date, so told iTunes to stop synching contacts from her home PC. iTunes asked if she wanted them cleared off the phone as well, she said yes, and poof they were gone. So she gave the iPhone a big thumbs up for that.

Last edited by gstelmack : 02-27-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #69
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm up for a new phone and not sure who to go with. Hoping to get some help here. I was leaning toward the iPhone simply because I know how to use it and have an iPad that I can sync stuff with. But some of the Android phones look really sweet and more powerful for the same price.

I sort of use iTunes for a lot of stuff simply because it's what I'm used to and convenient to manage songs/podcasts I've purchased. Not sure how that syncs with an Android though.

Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts on choosing an Android over an iPhone? And what phones should I be looking at?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #70
JediKooter
Coordinator

I guess it boils down to what you want it to do and what you need it to do. My iPhone does exactly what I need it to do...make and receive phone calls. All the other stuff is just fluff in my opinion. So if you like pretty bells and whistles, find which phone has the prettiest bells and whistles that you like.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #71
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

The guy in the Apple store told me that he actually had an Android phone when I went in to get my IPad...fwiw.

He expressed the view that Android was a better phone OS than iOS.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #72
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I might get a Galaxy Note this fall when I can upgrade. It's fucking huge(5.3 inches) and has a high res display. Like 1200 by 800 I think.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #73
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

If you decide to go the Android route I'd recommend that you don't really consider anything but the Galaxy Nexus. It has the latest software and will more then likely receive support much longer. One thing with the hardware fragmentation of Android is it is kind of a crapshoot with how long your phone will receive updates.

This is assuming you're on Verizon.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #74
RainMaker
General Manager

Thanks guys. The Nexus is the one I was looking at but open to others. Brother got the Rezound and really likes it. I guess I'm totally new to Android phones and don't know what is considered good.

As for what I'm looking for, a phone where I can check e-mail and do some basic web surfing. But I'd also like to be able to put my music on there and have it somewhat organized. Was worried about this. I don't necessarily love iTunes for organizing, but the cloud and store are so easy to use. Worried about how difficult it would be to use an Android when I purchase a lot of music on iTunes and grab podcasts too.

How do you guys manage music? Are there any kind of things that will sync automatically or will I have to plug in to my computer each time (I want to store music on both)?

Last edited by RainMaker : 02-10-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #75
Groundhog
Coordinator

I love my Galaxy Nexus.

The lack of MicroSD support kinda sucks, but everything else about it is wonderful.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #76
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Tried out the Nexus, went back to the bionic.
Droid 4.0 (ICS) is sweet but Bioninc gets it 2/15.

Here is the best way I can describe it.
The minute you touch and iPhone you will instantly know how to do everything it can do, and it will work as expected every time. The droid platforms, can do many times the number of stuff, but it may take you much longer to figure out how. Oh and every now and then it will do something unexpected and may require a reboot. FOr this reason alone Id never consider the Razr as you cant do a hard reset (battery pull)

For me it would be a nexus or bionic.

IPhone 5 is supposedly 4G/LTE which, if available in your area, is a game changer. I could not go back to 3G. That alone woudl preclude an iPhone purchase from me.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #77
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Thanks guys. The Nexus is the one I was looking at but open to others. Brother got the Rezound and really likes it. I guess I'm totally new to Android phones and don't know what is considered good.

As for what I'm looking for, a phone where I can check e-mail and do some basic web surfing. But I'd also like to be able to put my music on there and have it somewhat organized. Was worried about this. I don't necessarily love iTunes for organizing, but the cloud and store are so easy to use. Worried about how difficult it would be to use an Android when I purchase a lot of music on iTunes and grab podcasts too.

How do you guys manage music? Are there any kind of things that will sync automatically or will I have to plug in to my computer each time (I want to store music on both)?

I'm willing to bet that the iPhone will win hands down if you want to compare the phones as music devices.

But, I use PowerAmp on my Bionic. I purchased it for five dollars, but there are numerous other players, and ICS stock may be great, I don't know. PowerAmp is just what I've used. I purchase off Amazon, download to PC, move to phone (yea, have to plug in) and PowerAmp automatically finds it and adds it to its library. I could probably purchase off Amazon MP3 from my phone and that may be instant, and with it being 4G it would download fast so that shouldn't be a concern. Never tried it.

My phone history was the Original Droid, followed up by the iPhone 4 with Verizon. I sold that on eBay after 3 months or so and bought the Bionic. I mean, I don't know. Yes, the iPhone hardware is nice. The phone feels great, looks great. The software works perfect. Never had hiccups. But, I just didn't like the software even if it did run great. And while the hardware feels nice after having a 4+ inch screen I can't go back to the 3.5 inch iPhone size. It just feels so god damn small. And this is something that bothered me when I had the iPhone. When I'm out and about and have some free time I tend to browse the web on my phone quite a bit and it just feels much better on the larger screen.

Android has it's hiccups, software wise. Hopefully ICS is the ticket, but I'm sure it will not still be iPhone hiccup free. I just like the freedom with it, and I don't even tinker with my phone much anymore. I am probably in the minority when I say I hated the look of the iOS. I love widgets. I love having the weather on one of my screens with a radar, a calender on one, a Evernote there..

I will mention one thing with my Bionic that is absolutely insane and pisses me off. It drops data. A lot. It's a known problem, and while I haven't tried to contact Verizon about it I have read that they won't do anything. I will probably call anyways, though. With 4G being newer it still will cycle in my area occasionally from 4G to 3G. I also use Wifi depending on where I am. I do not know if that going back and forth fucks with it, or what, but it is almost daily that my phone will just lose connection to the internet and the only real way to get it back is a reset. That shit gets old.

Even if that wasn't the case, I would still say go with the Galaxy Nexus. I just think it makes the most sense as a new purchaser to go with the newer software and probably what will be the most supported phone of the current generation. Try it, if you don't like it within the first couple weeks, get the iPhone. I think it would be best to start with Android, and if theres shit that you just can't stand then go with the iPhone. You know the iPhone will be reliable.

tl,dr: I tend to ramble so my thoughts may be kind of disjointed. Basically, it's hard to say. If you're already invested in the iOS ecosystem then hey, get the iPhone. Especially if you will strictly just be an email/basic web guy. It will always work. But, Android does offer something different and I do think it may be worth a look.

CU Tiger, I hope you're right about the Bionic getting ICS soon, but I'd be shocked. Seems like Samsung and Motorola are always dropping the ball with support of phones and timely updates (although they blame Verizon).

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 02-10-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #78
RainMaker
General Manager

So Droid and Bionic are 4G/LTE and much faster than the iPhone? That was a big issue I had as my brother who got the Rezound kept telling me how huge a difference the 4G makes. In Chicago so it's available here.

It's not going to be used much for music, just something I wanted on there when I'm going for walks or whatever. I don't mind plugging it in, just wasn't sure if they had any kind of sync available.

I like everything about the Nexus, but I don't need an actual keyboard. So I feel like it would be a bit bulky for what I need. And isn't the Bionic almost 6 months old now? What about the Razr or Spectrum? I guess the Razr hard reset is a problem (not sure what that would mean) but I sort of liked the HDMI/Mirror mode.

I'm coming from a Blackberry Bold 9650 which is a colassal turd so I feel like anything will feel like heaven. Sort of excited to go with an Android phone though. Thanks for all your help, I'm just totally new to these phones and know absolutely nothing about them.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #79
rjolley
College Starter

I bought AirSync from DoubleTwist during the 10 cent sale in December. It will sync music, videos, and photos wirelessly from a PC or a MAC to an android device and vice versa, I believe. Haven't used it much, but it has worked well the times I've played with it.

Last edited by rjolley : 02-10-2012 at 01:11 AM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #80
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So Droid and Bionic are 4G/LTE and much faster than the iPhone? That was a big issue I had as my brother who got the Rezound kept telling me how huge a difference the 4G makes. In Chicago so it's available here.

It's one of those things. Once you have it, you won't go back. 3G is what.. 1-2 mb/s? I'm not totally sure, just ballparking. I just ran a speedtest on my Bionic with 4G and I got 20 mb/s down and 6mb/s up. Yea, you're not downloading massive files but the speed is very noticeable when browsing the web, downloading apps, opening apps that require data... If my phone drops to 3G and I don't realize it, I instantly realize it when I go to use anything that requires data.

It's not going to be used much for music, just something I wanted on there when I'm going for walks or whatever. I don't mind plugging it in, just wasn't sure if they had any kind of sync available.

There is an app called Doubletwist that I believe offers it. I have no idea how good it is, although I do know it is popular. I could comfortably say it's probably no iCloud, though.

I like everything about the Nexus, but I don't need an actual keyboard. So I feel like it would be a bit bulky for what I need. And isn't the Bionic almost 6 months old now? What about the Razr or Spectrum? I guess the Razr hard reset is a problem (not sure what that would mean) but I sort of liked the HDMI/Mirror mode.

The Galaxy Nexus does not have a keyboard. It's a pretty thin phone. It's no razr, but it's far from bulky. I believe you are thinking of another phone. It doesn't have the heft or solid feel of an iPhone, but you won't get that with Android.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...laxy-Nexus.png

I'm coming from a Blackberry Bold 9650 which is a colassal turd so I feel like anything will feel like heaven. Sort of excited to go with an Android phone though. Thanks for all your help, I'm just totally new to these phones and know absolutely nothing about them.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 02-10-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:17 AM   #81
RainMaker
General Manager

Thanks, I must have gotten the Nexus mixed up with another phone. That seems like the best option for me. Is there anything that the Razr can do that I should be looking at? They seem pretty similar.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #82
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
All my friends with the DroidX absolutely love it. My friend has this nifty window mount for it, which enables it to work as a MP3 player, a navigation system and handsfree calling.

i have something similar, called 'my lap'
Old 02-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #83
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
i have something similar, called 'my lap'

The point is that the interface changes when you plug it into various mounts. Plugging it into that car mount brings up 6 buttons for music, GPS, etc. Plugging it into a desktop mount brings up a different interface with music, alarm clock, etc. It's a pretty cool feature of the Droid X.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #84
lungs
Pro Rookie

I have a Droid X right now, can't wait for my contract to be up in March to get an IPhone. The X was nice at first but is so damn clunky especially when you consider I sometimes have to carry two phones on me (dumb phone for work is always on me).

I've also signed up for ITunes Match so it only makes sense that I go with IPhone.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #85
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lungs-have you considered porting your dumb phone number over to google voice? You can get calls in that number and they'll ring on your current phone. The app is free, but I think it costs $20 to port a number over.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #86
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Google Music is fine for organizing and playing music, and cloud-syncing is great with it. I don't even really bother with my ipad touch much anymore because of how easy it is.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #87
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Lungs-have you considered porting your dumb phone number over to google voice? You can get calls in that number and they'll ring on your current phone. The app is free, but I think it costs $20 to port a number over.

I actually prefer to carry a durable flip phone around the farm. Touch screens and some of the things my hands get covered in (think the picture thread) probably aren't compatible. I'd be replacing screen protectors every other day.

Last edited by lungs : 02-10-2012 at 08:07 PM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #88
RainMaker
General Manager

With the 4G LTE phones, have you guys had battery issues? Seems that's the only negative I've come across in reviews. Seems like I might need to invest in a backup battery and make sure I have a charger in the car.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #89
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
With the 4G LTE phones, have you guys had battery issues? Seems that's the only negative I've come across in reviews. Seems like I might need to invest in a backup battery and make sure I have a charger in the car.

Depends on my usage, but on heavy days I can eat a battery in a half day. If I was still running my business, the Bionic wold not have lasted. The battery would have caused it to fly...but that was a 5000min per month user. FOr my ow usage its great. I ought the spare battery and charger, it charges the phone and an extra battery simultaneously and the bat is super thin. I just throw itin my pocket and if I kill the batt I swap it, takes 2 seconds.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #90
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

That's probably a topic I should have hit, as well.

Android has a history of battery issues. Well, compared to the iPhone. I know with my iPhone I could go well into the next day (I do not know about the 4S, though).

If you do decide on the Nexus, I'd just get it first. I would get a car charger with it, especially if you are in the car a bit. You could see how it goes with just that before worrying about a battery. I'd make sure to reserve judgement until you've had the phone for five or so days as 1) You will be using the hell out of it at first just because and 2) it will probably take a few recharges to fully calibrate. I don't know if this is the case anymore, but one thing I do with my new phone is use it till it dies the first time. Then charge it all the way back up.

If you decide that doesn't work you can 1) buy an extra battery or 2) buy an extended battery. They each have their negatives. The extra means swapping out which can be a pain, and would mean potentially having an extra thing in your pocket. The extended adds size that can bother people. My brother has an extended on his Bionic and it is noticeably big but he is one that could give two shits less about the aesthetics of the phone.

For me, I commute a half hour to school. I leave at 7 am and have it plugged into my car charger the whole way there. When I get out of my truck I am at 100%. When I leave at 5pm, I have usually around 20% or maybe even a little less. I plug it in for the half hour ride home and usually sit around 50-60% which is plenty to get me to bed. This can pose a problem if I forget to plug it in but its become such a habit, and I hate talking on my phone while driving anyways so it just sits on my seat and charges so now by habit I never really forget. I don't know what your job entails, but if you are the office type maybe just bring an extra AC/USB charger to work.

Really, you'll only know by giving it a go for 5-7 days. Maybe with your usage pattern you'll be completely fine. Maybe you will have issues but with your daily routine you are always able to have certain times to give it a half hour boost on the charger. Maybe you don't and you will have to consider an extra/extended battery. Maybe it's just such a pain in the ass for you that you decide to return it. For some people, the possibility of having to plug your phone in at some point, or carry an extra battery, or have an extended battery is a major negative. You'll only know by using it. It is really a hit or miss thing.

I haven't looked at a blackberry in years, but I do recall the battery being pretty nice. Obviously the power draw and screen plays a large role in that, so do prepare for it to not be your blackberry.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 02-10-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #91
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

dola -

If the Galaxy Nexus doesn't fulfill your needs due to battery I'd say look at the Rezound or the Razr MAXX. The Maxx is obviously thicker then the Razr, but it's battery life is pretty god damned good. The Rezound is probably in the middle somewhere. I really can't speak to the Nexus's battery life, though.

Or get an iPhone. Like I said, it just flat out works.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #92
RainMaker
General Manager

Thanks. The battery isn't really a huge issue I guess. My Blackberry actually doesn't do that well and I never use it for web or apps. I have to recharge that thing every night. I'm at a desk most of the day so I don't foresee many situations where I'll be away from a charger for long. I'll just be dillegent with making sure it's plugged in when I'm at my desk and it should be fine. Might pick up a backup battery just in case.

I just wanted to make sure that playing some music or a game on the train wouldn't kill the thing in 30 minutes.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #93
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

I had an original droid for the last two years. Was planning to switch to an iphone when my contract was up because the droid was slower than molasses near the end. I never upgraded beyond the Verizon/Moto official updates, so maybe that was it. My wife thinks I had too many applications, but what's the point of having a smart phone without them? Her droid was never as slow as mine, but she didn't load it up with as much stuff. When my upgrade was due, I switched to the Nexus Galaxy at the end of December. I figured I'd try it for a couple of weeks and switch to the iphone if I didn't like it.

If you want an android phone I wouldn't recommend anything else. The Nexus is lightning fast. I've added even more apps since switching and have had no issues. The battery lasts longer for me than the droid ever did. Usually I let it charge overnight. Battery generally will hold up until about 3-4 pm each day, usually has about 20% left at that point, with some moderate use here and there in the office. Often, I'll plug in the headphones and listen to music for a couple hours during that time. I'll charge it again on the drive home and it's good enough to last until I go to sleep and start the cycle over.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #94
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks. The battery isn't really a huge issue I guess. My Blackberry actually doesn't do that well and I never use it for web or apps. I have to recharge that thing every night. I'm at a desk most of the day so I don't foresee many situations where I'll be away from a charger for long. I'll just be dillegent with making sure it's plugged in when I'm at my desk and it should be fine. Might pick up a backup battery just in case.

I just wanted to make sure that playing some music or a game on the train wouldn't kill the thing in 30 minutes.

Supposedly the Droid Razr Maxx has an awesome battery life, and is eligible for a b1g1 free promotion and double data. Seems like it would be a really good option for a Verizon Android smart phone. It's really hard to go over 4Gigs of data unless you stream a ton of podcasts.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #95
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Hey, CU Tiger, did you get the recent update to your Bionic? It's only been a day or so but on the first charge post-update I think my battery life may almost be double what it was. A full-day today was no issue, at all.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #96
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Watch SNL Make Fun of Verizon 4G LTE Commercials
Old 02-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #97
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Supposedly the Droid Razr Maxx has an awesome battery life, and is eligible for a b1g1 free promotion and double data. Seems like it would be a really good option for a Verizon Android smart phone. It's really hard to go over 4Gigs of data unless you stream a ton of podcasts.

I'm torn between these two phones. Not sure what to go with.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #98
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Galaxy Nexus review | The Verge

Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx review | The Verge
Old 02-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #99
RainMaker
General Manager

Thanks everyone, I went with the Nexus. Should have it tomorrow and will start playing around with the thing. Really looking forward to it since I'm coming from a crappy Blackberry.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #100
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Hey, CU Tiger, did you get the recent update to your Bionic? It's only been a day or so but on the first charge post-update I think my battery life may almost be double what it was. A full-day today was no issue, at all.

I did get the update...got about 4 new bloatware apps I cant delete.
SO far havent noticed any change in battery, but have started having data drop issues again that were corrected last update.

Kinda pissed.
Moto fan boy. But not buying a phone I cant pull a battery and full power down....yes I am that paranoid. If I want to go off grid I want to control that. So razr and razr max not an option.

Nexus I hated.

and iPhone....well maybe eventually if its lte