Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2003, 04:37 PM   #51
tucker342
Pro Starter

Keep it up man, I'm really enjoying the dynasty!!

tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 01:10 PM   #52
JeeberD
General Manager

Alright now, butter, I'm jonesing for some Vandy football. Best get your woman away from the housework and on the X-Box where she belongs...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 03:42 PM   #53
Butter
Coordinator

More updates will be coming soon... sorry about the delay. We have an exciting end to the season, and a very surprising offseason. But, then, women are unpredictable like that. I'll let you imagine what happens.

I would post it all now, but I left my notes at home today. But this dynasty is not dead by a longshot.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:26 AM   #54
Butter
Coordinator

We take on South Carolina and decide to use the Protection cheat (which is supposed to provide you more time to throw). We are up to 7th in the coaches poll, 8th in the media poll, and 7th in the BCS.

Game 9, v. South Carolina (5-2, 2-2)

South Carolina played us tough as usual. However, our defense held strong, and turned back 3 USC drives into our territory, twice stopping them on a 4th down play inside our 30. Our offense did as well as they could, scoring on 2 QB sneaks after long pass plays set us up in business. We beat our new "rival" for the 2nd time in 3 years.

Win, 17-10, up to 9-0, 5-0
Old 03-20-2003, 09:31 AM   #55
Butter
Coordinator

Ranks
Media: 6
Coaches/BCS: 5

Interesting to note this week, that the Bowl matchups have us facing Clemson in the Sugar Bowl.

Game 10, v. Florida (3-5, 2-3)

Seems that the Ron Zook era in EA-land is not going well. We use the Boing cheat anyway, trying to stunt their pass-happy offense in advance.

Florida drives for a FG on their opening kickoff, but their defense has just gone downhill. We ran at will on them, even when Will was not on the field. Lucas had an OK day, but we had absolutely no problems dispatching a poor Florida squad, who desperately need some new leadership.

Win, 31-3, up to 10-0, 6-0

At this point, it has almost become too easy. Only 2 games have even been close, with only Mississippi State pushing us to the point where I was worried we might lose. This is becoming boring to me... but MB is still interested, so I keep going, dropping hints here and there that we need to up the difficulty settings.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:39 AM   #56
Butter
Coordinator

Ranks
Coaches: 4
Media/BCS: 5

Game 11, @ Kentucky (2-7, 1-5)

Our side of the SEC has become the weaker side. Sounds impossible, I know, but look at these patsies. Florida sucks, Kentucky sucks big time, USC is marginal, Georgia is merely OK, and Tennessee is no power. The other side, meanwhile, has 3 teams, Arkansas, LSU, and Auburn fighting for first. We clinch an SEC title berth with a win here, as Tennessee has already lost 2 conference games.

We roll Kentucky, although they do a good job on Kane, and Lucas is off. We still beat them by 18, but what does it say about UK that their entire offense managed only 97 yards? It means Lorenzen is gone, and their backup is WRETCHED. He went something like 4-21 today. They had 3 yards in the whole of the first half. It was a punt fest. I felt like I was at Puntapalooza '04.

Win, 21-3, up to 11-0, 7-0

We're in the SEC title game! Against the winner of the final week Arkansas-LSU battle.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:44 AM   #57
Butter
Coordinator

Ranks
Coaches/BCS: 4
Media: 5

I now start to worry that if we run the table, we won't be in the title game. Oklahoma has 1 loss, but is ahead of us in the BCS thanks to their non-conference schedule which included teams with actual players. We need the Big 12 to dive, as all 3 teams ahead of us are Big 12 (Texas A&M and Texas are the other 2).

Game 12, v. Tennessee (7-3, 4-2)

We use a couple of cheats here, most notable the 1st & 15, which requires them to gain 15 yards on each 1st down. Needless to say, that was quite effective, often proving to be too much to overcome. In fact, it often appeared that the computer was oblivious to this new cheat, running power runs on 3rd & 6 or 7.

Again, we roll to a boring victory, and move into the SEC title game with an unblemished record. MB just calls the same draws and counters and passes over and over now... and why wouldn't she? The computer is impotent to stop us on this difficulty setting with our talent.

Win, 21-0, up to 12-0, 8-0
Old 03-20-2003, 10:06 AM   #58
Butter
Coordinator

Ranks
All 3 polls: #3

Texas A&M went down to Texas, so we move up. Now Texas must lose in the Big 12 title game, to Nebraska, who is unranked. Otherwise, we're shutout of the title race, and it'll be an all-Big 12 Orange Bowl. Go Huskers! (Ew, that makes me shudder)

SEC Championship, v. Arkansas (8-4, 6-2)

Arkansas moves their first drive right down the field, mixing runs and passes beautifully, and giving me faith that maybe this game is more difficult than I expected. Not that I want to LOSE, but I do want a challenge. We answer with a well-orchestrated, long drive that takes us into the 2nd quarter. It's 7-7. MB is clearly nervous and agitated, sighing with every Hog first down and Lucas incompletion. At halftime, we go in up 14-10, but this is clearly going to be a struggle all the way home.

MB's favorite play, the QB draw, is not working. She temporarily gives up running altogether, allowing Arkansas to pressure the QB, and force punts. They then take the ball for 2 long TD drives, and lead 24-14. The dream is dying.

The ticker flashes an early score of 7-3 Nebraska. There is hope.

Then, Chris Lucas decides to take his arm out of mothballs, and we start playing some football. Lucas for 20, 23, 17, 8, and 9 yard passes, and we're in for a 24-21 game early 4th quarter. Arkansas has become predictable, running on 1st down, running a QB draw or option on 2nd down, and throwing on 3rd. We force a 3 and out. We then get a nice return from Terrell to set us up inside the Hog 40. Lucas decides one play should be all we need, and threads a 39 yard needle to David Terrell who stands between 2 Razorbacks in the end zone, and outjumps them both to grab the go-ahead touchdown. 28-24, Vanderbilt!

2:53 remains between us and a possible national championship game. But the Razorbacks hurry-up offense wears us down. They move the ball down the field with precision, but are picked off! We regain possession with 1:03 left. They use all 3 timeouts and force a punt with 0:47. They have the ball at their own 38, and again are able to move it quickly. They penetrate to our 24, with :15 left. Next play is a beautiful short pass, down to the 12, but it leaves just :04 left. MB is on the edge of her seat, cursing me to victory (I suppose). The next play, we play a Dime Zone defense, and I try to rush a lineman off the side. The rush doesn't work, and the pass flies toward the corner... it's a fade!!!! The ball seems to float in slow motion towards the pylon.... NOOOOOOOOOOO......

it's knocked away by Mark Dorsey! We win!!!!!!!

Win, 28-24, up to 13-0

Texas loses to Nebraska, BAD. 42-17. We are in the Orange Bowl!
Old 03-20-2003, 10:12 AM   #59
tucker342
Pro Starter

YES!!!!!!

SOON TO BE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2003, 10:27 AM   #60
JeeberD
General Manager

Sweet!!!

Glad to see this dynasty back up and running...

Old 03-25-2003, 08:40 AM   #61
Butter
Coordinator

Ranks
All 3 polls: #2

National Championship Game, Orange Bowl
v. #1 Oklahoma (11-1)

We take the field in our road whites, and Oklahoma comes out in their home reds. We blew most of our cheats to get to this game, so we break out the minor cheats we have left, Kicker Hex (which causes the wind to be in your favor in FG/XP situations), and Stiffed (which doubles penalty yardage of opponents). These will hopefully keep them from getting any FG's today. Stopping their offense is another matter. They have the #10 rated offense in the nation, AND the #2 (behind us, who play short quarters) defense in the land as well.

Oklahoma receives the opening kickoff and promptly fails to gain a first down. Our opening possession flounders as well, as Oklahoma has scouted us well to prepare for this game, stuffing the QB draw with outside pressure, and beating the counter trap with an 8-man front. Lucas appears shaky as his first pass sails about 10 yards out of bounds and forces a punt.

Oklahoma's 2nd possession gets them on track. An 80 yard drive, they have no difficulty passing on us, mostly post routes and double moves. Their rushing game is used mostly as a change of pace, and an 18 yard TD pass caps the first scoring drive of the game. The XP is no good, thanks to the Hex. 6-0, Sooners.

Our 2nd possession is a big bag o' suck. 3 plays, -7 yards including a sack on 3rd down, and MB is already frustrated.

"Did you not see that guy coming?"
"Honey, I don't question your play calls, so don't start with me."
"No, I'm really curious as to whether you know they're coming before you throw it."
"What do you think, I'm TRYING to get sacked? There is a slight delay between pressing the pass button, and the QB actually winding up and throwing, and sometimes that delay causes a sack. So don't mention it again, please. I'm trying my best."

The snarkiness has already begun, and we're at the end of the first quarter. Oklahoma's 3rd possession results in an interception, and we're in business. We manage a FG, and close the gap to 6-3. Not much happens before the break, and that's the halftime score. We have just 75 offensive yards, mostly thanks to long passes. Lucas is around 30% completion-wise, and our running game is getting nowhere against the speedy Sooners.

Our opening drive in the 2nd half finds MB resolved to cross up the Sooners. 1st down, throw, 2nd down, throw... 3rd down, throw some more. This pass happiness catches Oklahoma off guard, and we penetrate deep into their territory. On the 7th play of the drive, Lucas finds Mr. Warren Terrell on a fade route for a touchdown! Extra point is good, 10-6 Commodores!

Oklahoma sputters, but holds us down, and it is 10-6 entering the 4th quarter. Oklahoma finally puts something together, and a shotgun HB draw puts them in from 9 yards out, and makes it 12-10 after another "wind-blown" extra point. Our ensuing drive goes backwards in a hurry, after not one, but 2 sacks (just imagine the heavy sighing that MB gives me.... I'm sure you can). On 4th and 23 with 2:30 left, we have no choice but to punt from our own 14. All 3 timeouts left, and we must hold. 1st down, 2 yard run, timeout. 2nd down, 3 yard run, timeout... 3rd and 5. 3rd down is an incomplete pass, and we get to save a timeout, and get the ball back with 2:06!

Lucas seems sharp on this drive, completing slants and ins, throwing to the corner for our tight end. We penetrate to the Oklahoma 36, with 1:04 remaining. Next play is an MB favorite, Flood, this time from the left hash, flooding the wide side of the field. Lucas steps back to throw, zeroes in on a target, and lets it go... the ball spirals beautifully downfield....

straight into the hands of an Oklahoma LB who followed the play across the field. Oklahoma has intercepted a pass on our march to victory! Unbelievable. Our 1 TO is no match, and Oklahoma kneels on 3rd down to run out the clock. Our national championship run is halted, 1 minute short.

MB and I spend a few minutes in stunned silence, and quiet cursing before moving on. A rough end to a great season.

Loss, 12-10, finish 13-1, ranked #4
Old 03-25-2003, 09:03 AM   #62
Butter
Coordinator

After much begging, I convince MB not to re-play the game. "We lost, we just have to deal with it... I don't think it's fair, nor do I enjoy 'fixing' the results..." even though it is a game, and we are using cheats... I just have some lines I will not cross. We lost, period.

Season 3 recap

3 bowls in 3 years at Vandy is no disgrace, but my how I'd like that crossing route throw back at the end of the Orange Bowl... I have no doubt in my mind that the INT was totally and thoroughly my fault, although I'll never admit that to my wife.

Passing
QB #12, Chris Lucas - 57/141, 40%, 1,087 yards, 9 TD, 6 INT, 117.7 rating, 90.5 yds/gm

Rushing
RB #22 Sedrick Kane - 179 carries, 1,086 yards, 13 TD, 6.0 yds/carry, 37 yard long, 83.5 yds/gm
QB #12 Chris Lucas - 125 carries, 780 yards, 13 TD, 6.2 yds/carry, 61 yard long, 65.0 yds/gm
FB #49 J.J. Lopez - 30 carries, 152 yards, 2 TD, 5.0 yds/carry, 32 yard long, 12.6 yds/gm

Receiving
WR #81 Warren Terrell - 19 rec., 460 yards, 6 TD, 24.2 yds/catch, 4 drops
WR #87 Lennox Bauer - 17 rec., 397 yards, 3 TD, 20.4 yds/catch, 6 drops
WR #80 - 16 rec., 236 yards, 1 TD, 14.7 yds/catch, 1 drop
TE #88 Jamel Alston - 10 rec., 170 yards, 1 TD, 17.0 yds/catch, 2 drops

Defense
OLB Sam Collins - 40 tackles, 1 sack
SS Nate Lambert - 34 tackles, 3 INT
CB Mark Dorsey - 28 tackles, 6 INT
FS Frank Farley - 28 tackles, 1 INT, 3 sacks

Kicking/punting
K Antoine Ryan - 7-9 FG's, 78%, 41 yard long
P Derek Slater - 20 punts, 39.0 yds/punt, 7 punts inside 20, 65 kickoffs/0 touchbacks
Old 03-25-2003, 01:18 PM   #63
JeeberD
General Manager

Damn, sorry you didn't take OU out. Next year though...

Old 03-25-2003, 04:52 PM   #64
tucker342
Pro Starter

well, at least you got to the NC game! Better luck next year