Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2004, 06:09 PM   #51
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Keeping in mind 2 in that group can and will leave the second they get the chance. Hopefully Belicheck is as good as reputation and the team isn't winning because of Weis and Crennel.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:14 PM   #52
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Yeah, but I doubt both will leave after next season, maybe not even one. Crennel is an unknown because a lot of the credit goes to Belichick (deserved or not) and he doesn't seem to inspire people in interviews. Weis has been questionable at times with his playcalling, and I'm not sure how much we'd miss him (especially because we're grooming someone to use the same schemes.) The first 3 are the most important.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:32 PM   #53
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
What he is saying is that if you took your 2 points and put 'Delhomme' in every time you said 'Brady', it would make no difference. The same can be said for Delhomme, basically (especially point 2).

except that I wasn't talking about just one game.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:45 PM   #54
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjstp20
Well among active QBs I think he is amoung the top 3 right now. I may be biased but I do understand that Brady could be on his way to greatness, and it should make the AFC East interesting for the next few years. It just seems ridiculous that a sign of a QBs greatness are his Super Bowl rings when in fact that is a team effort. Marino never had the supporting cast yet in the mid 80s he carried the Dolphins, same with John Elway. I do think that Brady is more in line with Joe Montana because he does have the supporting cast and he has a coach who understands his limitations and implements a system where he can succede, without the raw skills of a John Elway or a Dan Marino.

Actually, the Super Bowl victories are way, way down on my list of reason to start mentioning him with Montana. Lots of really, really good QB's aren't walking around today wearing garish rings, while more than a couple mediocre ones have them. It's more about the way he has performed consistently in close games, playoffs and regular season.

It all boils down to this - never in the game did I have any doubt that the Pats would win. When the Panthers pulled ahead with a minute left, there was no question at all to me that Brady would march them down the field. There's not a lot of other quarterbacks I would have felt that way about. I could only think of 2, and I named them - Montana and Elway.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:25 PM   #55
RendeR
Coordinator

Again, no-one is saying Brady is a bad QB or even one we wouldn't want to have on our fields for us, the comment that was made was that he was one of the best ever, and frankly, thats a load of Panther piss. no pun intended.....

Brady for one thing has an amazing defense working to his advantage. it regularly gives him the ball with great field position. Montana never had more than a second teir defense on hsi teams,a nd we won't even go near Denver's.

Brady has had some great comebacks, tru, but again, in many of those occasions other players set up those great plays. The miaami overtime game, Brown was supposed to even run that route, he broke it off and sped downfield when Brady scrambled. Without Brown's heads up play, thats a loss and who knows where your season goes from there?

I like Brady, but for god's sake try and be a little realistic here, he's not a hall of fame calibur QB and I seriously doubt he ever will be.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:29 PM   #56
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
except that I wasn't talking about just one game.

I wasn't either .
Old 02-02-2004, 07:34 PM   #57
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
I like Brady, but for god's sake try and be a little realistic here, he's not a hall of fame calibur QB and I seriously doubt he ever will be.

can we sticky this thread for about 15 years?
Old 02-02-2004, 08:11 PM   #58
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
John Kasay will be getting a check in the mail in the next few days signed by Bob Kraft.

oh give me a break... Kasay didn't lose the game for the Panthers... was he out there on defense when they let the Patriots drive down the field? NO!

It was'nt Kasay's fault that the defense couldn't stop them!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:13 PM   #59
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
I don't think Brady continuing on a path to greatness will be make the AFC East interesting these next few years. The Jets are rebuilding around Pennington, the Bills with Bledsoe will fall apart late every year and if the Dolphins get a young QB he'll be ready to step in right about when Ricky Williams goes on to the Eddie George-esque 2.9 YPC years, if he doesn't have an Earl Campbell-like early retirement.

As long as Belichick/Pioli/Brady/Crennel/Weis are together Miami will be lucky to win the division.
Typical arrogant Chowd comment, you probably thought the same thing when Tony Eason was going to the Super Bowl in 85. If you think you will have a "dynasty" year in and year out what happened last year? What? This great coaching staff that can win the AFC East at will decided just to take the year off???????? Wake up buddy, every year is different and everyone has a chance every year, and if we get a young QB to step in just in time for Ricky Williams to average 2.9 a carry I guess then we'll have your offense.

Last edited by pjstp20 : 02-02-2004 at 10:18 PM.
pjstp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:34 PM   #60
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

pjstp is very astute on his football knowledge, especially about anything Patriots. See previous thread.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/f...6&page=2&pp=30

See post #32, #95, #102.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 02-02-2004 at 10:37 PM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:36 PM   #61
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

pjstp is just a priceless guy. Its been very hard not to take his troll bait the last couple days .
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:38 PM   #62
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Still doesnt answer the question at hand, plus I later admited I made those comments in the moment. God this is gonna be a long offseason.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:38 PM   #63
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

How can you not. This is way too much fun!!
Old 02-02-2004, 10:45 PM   #64
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Brady for one thing has an amazing defense working to his advantage. it regularly gives him the ball with great field position. Montana never had more than a second teir defense on hsi teams,a nd we won't even go near Denver's.

If you're going to compare supporting casts, any gain from the defense is offset by the huge gap in offensive talent. Other than maybe an O-Lineman or two, no other Patriot would start on offense for either SF when Montana/Young led them or Denver when Elway led them.

Quote:
Brady has had some great comebacks, tru, but again, in many of those occasions other players set up those great plays. The miaami overtime game, Brown was supposed to even run that route, he broke it off and sped downfield when Brady scrambled. Without Brown's heads up play, thats a loss and who knows where your season goes from there?

So, while evading the rush, Brady realizes his WR has changed his route, adjusts and throws a ball that hits the WR in stride for a TD and all the credit goes to the receiver? Also, it wouldn't have necessarily been a loss, considering we still would have had the ball.

Quote:
Typical arrogant Chowd comment,

To be honest, half that was just to annoy you a little. Besides, it ain't braggin' if you can back it up.

Quote:
you probably thought the same thing when Tony Eason was going to the Super Bowl in 85.

Can't say that I did, since I was born in '85.

Quote:
If you think you will have a "dynasty" year in and year out what happened last year?

There is a difference between a dynasty and winning the AFC East. The 2001 team was lucky to win the Super Bowl. Last year, they were unlucky to miss the playoffs (but we did keep Miami out, so that helps a little)

Quote:
Wake up buddy, every year is different and everyone has a chance every year, and if we get a young QB to step in just in time for Ricky Williams to average 2.9 a carry I guess then we'll have your offense.

Now, if you get a QB as good as Brady, our defense and our coaching, you'll be on to something. Have fun next year with Wannstedt and whichever middle of the road QB you end up choosing.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:45 PM   #65
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Still doesnt answer the question at hand, plus I later admited I made those comments in the moment. God this is gonna be a long offseason.

You still made them and so you got to live on your track record.

I hate to say it again, but you will never understand the greatness of Brady by watching Sportscenter highlights. I've seen every game on Sunday Ticket for 3 years, now; and when you do that, his greatness is obvious.

You would also notice that when the defense plays good, he manages the game and does enough to win. When the defense is playing crummy (see 1st Titans game and SB), he picks it up and does enough to win.

Now, is he as great as Montana now? Of course not, Montana has numerous seasons under his belt. But at this stage in Brady's career, he is as good.

Why don't we just take it from a few people who would know. Bill Walsh and Joe Montana himself. In interviews, both of the say he has the look of greatness.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:46 PM   #66
pjstp20
High School Varsity

I'll tell you Patsies this right now!!! I will be at Pro Player for the Pats Dolphins game next season, I will have a thread stating that I'm going to said game, and when we win, your arogance will be child's play compared to the wrath I'll lay upon you.

(insert evil laughter)

Last edited by pjstp20 : 02-02-2004 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:48 PM   #67
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
I'll tell you Patsies this right now!!! I will be at Pro Player for the Pats Dolphins game next season, I will have a thread stating that I'm going to said game, and when we win, your arogance will be child's play compared to the wrath I'll lay upon you.

Of course, you'd pick a home game to make that prediction. Why not wait until we see who wins the AFC East next year.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:48 PM   #68
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

Assuming they do win, which is possible, when do we get to start the thread about the Dolphins losing at Gillette and missing the playoffs?
Old 02-02-2004, 10:53 PM   #69
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Assuming they do win, which is possible, when do we get to start the thread about the Dolphins losing at Gillette and missing the playoffs?

I believe the Dolphins missing the playoffs threads usually start around December 1st.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:55 PM   #70
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Im hoping the home game victory will be in December, completing the sweep of the Patriots, and clinching the division.

(Please God, you've given so much to the Chowder Heads in the past few seasons, why not throw us Dolphin fans a bone? Please let this happen, Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!!!!!!)
Old 02-02-2004, 11:04 PM   #71
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
(Please God, you've given so much to the Chowder Heads in the past few seasons, why not throw us Dolphin fans a bone? Please let this happen, Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!!!!!!)

Because, as one journalist pointed out, it's God's punishment on the two cities. New England cares the most about the Red Sox and yet the Pats win Super Bowls, while Miami cares about football and the Marlins win World Series.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:14 PM   #72
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Typical arrogant Chowd comment, you probably thought the same thing when Tony Eason was going to the Super Bowl in 85.
In '85, Eason was going to his first Super Bowl (and I remember Grogan having a good bit to do with it himself, although I was rather younger at the time and my memory isn't all that reliable). Brady's been to two and won both, and the next one Eason wins will be his first. No comparison, none.
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 11:22 PM   #73
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Because, as one journalist pointed out, it's God's punishment on the two cities. New England cares the most about the Red Sox and yet the Pats win Super Bowls, while Miami cares about football and the Marlins win World Series.

Hmmmmm I never thought about that but what an irony it is. In refrence to Mr.Wednesday I wasnt attempting to compare Brady to Eason, I was just illustarating the Chowds mindset of jumping the gun.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:36 PM   #74
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
New England cares the most about the Red Sox and yet the Pats win Super Bowls,

Heh my coworker with is a big Boston fan in all sports constantly complains about this. He constantly says things like "I'd give up the Pats Super Bowl (now 2) win for a Red Sox World Series in a heartbeat, they're the REAL Boston team."
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote