Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2004, 09:26 AM   #51
wig
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
And I was pointing out that, despite the left-leaning bias he's criticizing, I have been very credible.

indeed

wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:29 AM   #52
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Pulitzer Prize or not, that is shoddy work. His information might be good (I guess we'll find out), but the way Hersh went about it here is all wrong, especially considering he then used it as the basis for a lengthy piece that reads like someone desperate to put together a massive conspiracy theory and pulling little bits and facts from anywhere to fit his view.

Without the quotes/information supplied by the unknown Pentagon informant and former intelligence officer, his entire article falls apart like a house of cards. The fact he can't attribute those sources for some reason and that is the basis for the entire article lends me more than a little doubt in my mind to how accurate his take on the situation is.

CR

Actually Chief, this is the same formula that he used to expose My Lai. Quotes from various internal sources and statements from a civilian outside. If Scott Horton A) accountable for those quotes and B) is telling the truth, then if the powers that be want to investigate this, he will have to give the names of the 2 JAGs he had a meeting with which I am sure will be accompanied with documentation of that meeting. And from there the cards will start falling.

This is an classic example of an outline without premature compromising. He has been around the block I think it is safe to say.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:33 AM   #53
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
wasnt it the new yorker that first publicized the Abu Garaib photoe and broke that story? I could be wrong here but...I think it was that publication that did, no? Just wondering.

Yes, IIRC.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:34 AM   #54
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wig
1 more for the wignore list.

I will not accept a wignore.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:35 AM   #55
wig
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog Purple
I will not accept a wignore.

Not you, man!
wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:36 AM   #56
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I know I just wanted to say that.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:39 AM   #57
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Dutch, you've gone off the deep end on this one.

Quote:
1. Yes, we knew there were WMD's 10 years ago. But were they still there 1 year ago when we started the war? Perhaps the UN got most or all of them. Perhaps Saddam sold them for cash. Perhaps he destroyed them and kept quiet so he could continue to appear strong to his neighbors and dissident forces inside Iraq.

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. But all signs pointed to the fact that he had them, including signs created by Clinton, foreign intelligence, CIA, and the UN. After 9/11, we had an obligation to act because of Saddam's entanglement with so many different terror organizations and groups, many linked to Al Qaeda. Failure to act would have been irresponsable after the realization of Al Qaeda's new "global reach" capabilities.

Quote:
Whatever it is, we have found ZERO WMDs in over a year. Right now, all evidence supports that there aren't any. At this juncture, if any popped up, it would look more like we "planted" them than there were really there.

We didn't find Saddam Hussein immediately because he was hidden, we continue to dig up aircraft that they buried in the desert floor that we didn't know were there. Sure, I doubt we will find a big bunker filled with chemical warheaded SCUD missles. But we have found a bunch of components to make these things disassembled and the chemicals needed can be easily buried and remain undetected.

Anyway, what happened to it all? That's not our problem that they hid it or sold it, that was squarely the responsability of Saddam Hussein. He paid the price, all is fair.

Quote:
2. Terrorists? Or patriots fighting a insurgent war aginst an occupying force? There's not much of a difference many times. I refuse to call them terrorists at this point. To me, they're insurgents. Terrorists attack us on our turf. They're defending their turf. Also, were those insurgents there BEFORE we attacked Iraq? Or have we made the civilians there into insurgents? Probaby some of both.

These people are either Sunni Muslims from the Saddam Triangle or Foreign Fighters. The Shia fighters under Al Sadr are the only ones I consider insurgents. The vast majority of the killings have taken place from the terrorists, not Al Sadr's group.

Quote:
Yes, now Al Queda has people on the ground in Iraq. But there is very little evidence to show that Iraq supported Al Queda in any material way or that there were major Al Queda forces in Iraq. Not nearly like they exist in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Saudi and Egypt at the very least. Most evidence supports that Al Queda has become much more of a force since we removed Saddam. So it appears that using "terrorists" as a cause to invade Iraq really isn't accurate. We either created or, at the very least, compounded the problem of terrorism in Iraq.

Or Syria? How does an Al Qaeda operative travel from Egypt to Pakistan. The easiest way is through Syria, into Iraq's northern territory, and then through Iran. Again, if Saddam Hussein was unable to comply with UN resolutions and the 1991 cease-fire to allow himself to control his borders from terror groups and his territory from terror camps, that's not our problem. That was Saddam's responability to not harbor terrorists and he failed to understand that responsability.

Quote:
3. We are a step up from Saddam, no doubt. At least in a global sense. But to the average Iraqi, I'm not sure we're much of an improvement right now. At least they knew the rules and what to watch out for under Saddam. Now, there's so many different factions and agendas in Iraq that it would be very easy to get caught on the "wrong side" with some bad folks. The folks in the middle are being forced to choose up for fear of being caught in the crossfire. And many of those folks aren't choosing our side.

You are wrong. A VAST MAJORITY of Iraqi's have chosen "our side". Somewhere in the neighborhood of 95% have chose to either work with us or remain neutral. We have rebuilt their infrastructure to levels not seen in Iraq in decades. The US Army has built over 500 schools for their children, they have built modern hospitals, put unemployment at it's lowest levels in modern iraqi history, already returned Iraq to pre-war levels of Oil productions and opened a pipeline to Turkey (which was shut down for 15 years).

Iraq is a rich country and their citizens know it. They know that the USA offers them a vastly superior deal than the foreign terrorists or the Sunni Triangle Thugs ever did. Whether or not our media, Al Jazeera, or the Euro media wish to harp on these "Boring" details is besides the fact. The fact is that Iraq is a better place and getting better, and the Iraqi's know it.

Last edited by Dutch : 05-16-2004 at 09:42 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #58
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

If Rumsfeld specifically gave approval to interrogation methods that violated the Geneva Convention, he should resign. Plain and simple. But I continue to find it odd that the media ignored this story when the Pentagon first reported the abuse back in January, and waited until there were sensational pictures to publish before they began covering Abu Ghraib. I myself think that Rumsfeld didn't order or authorize anything illegal, and this will blow over. Heck, even after all this the vast majority of polled Americans don't think Rumsfeld should step down.

Also, just an FYI, there's been a really interesting piece on Iraq and WMD in the conservatively biased Front Page Magazine. I won't link to the piece, and I'll point out the bias in the publication now, but if anybody's still objective enough to read something that doesn't fit their particular view of Iraq, politics, Dubya, etc. you might find it worthwhile.

And BTW, Chubby, you are a troll... plain and simple. NoMyths, JohnGalt, albionmoonlight are all people I can disagree with and still have a rational discussion. You rely far too much on repeated catchphrases and empty rhetoric, adding nothing to the debate but bile and venom.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:45 AM   #59
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
Heck, even after all this the vast majority of polled Americans don't think Rumsfeld should step down.

I would contend that it does not matter what a poll says. I didn't think it mattered when Clinton was the President, and I don't think it matters now. We should not govern by 'polls.'

Last edited by Tekneek : 05-16-2004 at 10:46 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:49 AM   #60
Easy Mac

would the majority of Americans want Rumsfeld to stay if the report in the opening article is true that a directive was ordered from those high up in the administration? I think that changes the circumstances.

That being said, I don't like the man, but as the facts currently stand, I don't think he should have to go... at least until Bush's term runs out next March
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:05 AM   #61
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
(and I just thought I needed to post in this thread so people don't forget about me and so people can call me a crazy liberal.)

Good idea. I'm a crazy liberal too!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:14 AM   #62
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
You are wrong. A VAST MAJORITY of Iraqi's have chosen "our side". Somewhere in the neighborhood of 95% have chose to either work with us or remain neutral. We have rebuilt their infrastructure to levels not seen in Iraq in decades. The US Army has built over 500 schools for their children, they have built modern hospitals, put unemployment at it's lowest levels in modern iraqi history, already returned Iraq to pre-war levels of Oil productions and opened a pipeline to Turkey (which was shut down for 15 years).

Iraq is a rich country and their citizens know it. They know that the USA offers them a vastly superior deal than the foreign terrorists or the Sunni Triangle Thugs ever did. Whether or not our media, Al Jazeera, or the Euro media wish to harp on these "Boring" details is besides the fact. The fact is that Iraq is a better place and getting better, and the Iraqi's know it.

Where exactly do you get this information. Please provide a link or something (and don't provide any thing related to Fox News).

Bush has all but given up looking for WMDs. His intelligence on them was spotty at best and he knew it. Ditto for the Saddam-Osama connection. Bush has admitted there was never any evidence of a connection.

What did the Iraq war have to do with the war on terrorism? Absolutely nothing. Its just been a HUGE diversion of resources. We could've been fixing Afghanistan.

The facts are biased
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:17 AM   #63
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Thumbs down

Quote:
If Rumsfeld specifically gave approval to interrogation methods that violated the Geneva Convention, he should resign. Plain and simple. But I continue to find it odd that the media ignored this story when the Pentagon first reported the abuse back in January, and waited until there were sensational pictures to publish before they began covering Abu Ghraib. I myself think that Rumsfeld didn't order or authorize anything illegal, and this will blow over. Heck, even after all this the vast majority of polled Americans don't think Rumsfeld should step down.

Now come on Cam. When any administration admits a bit of wrongdoing openly, it's almost always a smokescreen. As you should know, it takes time to gather sources and go through red tape.

This is Rumsfeld's 3rd go around. If you honestly believe he doesn't know every nook and cranny of his own department, then I don't know what to say. It's like saying J. Edgar Hoover had no idea what was going on in the FBI. Ironically this sounds exactly like how people defended McNamara.

Rumsfeld spoke a grain of truth in his testimony to Congress. "I am responsible."
Old 05-16-2004, 11:26 AM   #64
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Rumsfeld says he's responsible but he's not taking any responsibility
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:29 AM   #65
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
would the majority of Americans want Rumsfeld to stay if the report in the opening article is true that a directive was ordered from those high up in the administration? I think that changes the circumstances.

Well if true and since perjury to Congress doesn't seem to matter anymore, he probably will get his medals and carry on.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:33 AM   #66
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
If Rumsfeld specifically gave approval to interrogation methods that violated the Geneva Convention, he should resign.

If Rumsfeld gave approval, a resignation does not go far enough, IMO. I think he should be prosecuted for war crimes if this is true.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:35 AM   #67
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo
Where exactly do you get this information. Please provide a link or something (and don't provide any thing related to Fox News).

Bush has all but given up looking for WMDs. His intelligence on them was spotty at best and he knew it. Ditto for the Saddam-Osama connection. Bush has admitted there was never any evidence of a connection.

What did the Iraq war have to do with the war on terrorism? Absolutely nothing. Its just been a HUGE diversion of resources. We could've been fixing Afghanistan.

The facts are biased

You don't believe any of this is true?

Quote:
We have rebuilt their infrastructure to levels not seen in Iraq in decades. The US Army has built over 500 schools for their children, they have built modern hospitals, put unemployment at it's lowest levels in modern iraqi history, already returned Iraq to pre-war levels of Oil productions and opened a pipeline to Turkey (which was shut down for 15 years).

Is it because you choose not to know? Or do you really don't want to believe any of this can be going on? In other words, you just want to hear only the bad parts and none of the good parts. I would then assume that no amount of facts can ever be presented if you only want to hear or know the bad parts.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:38 AM   #68
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl
If Rumsfeld gave approval, a resignation does not go far enough, IMO. I think he should be prosecuted for war crimes if this is true.

Before or after prosecuting Saddam for killing thousands? By the way, have you heard any apologies from Baathists or Sunnis or others yet?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:45 AM   #69
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Before or after prosecuting Saddam for killing thousands? By the way, have you heard any apologies from Baathists or Sunnis or others yet?
Thats like comparing apples to a retarded chimp. No one is saying Saddam shouldn't be tried. Why does it have to be black and white for some people "oh, they have to try Saddam, but that somehow means they can't try RUmsfeld."

Last edited by Easy Mac : 05-16-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:59 AM   #70
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
You don't believe any of this is true?

Is it because you choose not to know? Or do you really don't want to believe any of this can be going on? In other words, you just want to hear only the bad parts and none of the good parts. I would then assume that no amount of facts can ever be presented if you only want to hear or know the bad parts.

He asked for a link. Is that so hard?

Terrorist - For all the crap this administration is trying to drum up, there's been remarkable little evidence to say that Saddam encouraged terrorism to any larger extent than pretty much any Middle Eastern country. In fact, there's much evidence to the contrary.

WMDs - None found. Period, end of story. There may be pink elephants out there too, but we haven't found those either.

Links between Iraq and 9/11 - None. Period, end of story.

Rumsfield - Should the story be proven true, he has broken the Geneva Convention and is a War Criminal - and should be prosecuted as such in Geneva.

I'm out of this thread. It's the same old BS discussion.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 12:01 PM   #71
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

And they are US citizens? And they are members of the Executive branch of our Federal Government? You don't have to answer quickly. You can take some time to consider those differences.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:05 PM   #72
clintl
College Starter

Quote:

The question of whether Saddam is a war criminal (and he should and will be tried) is not even remotely related to the question of whether Rumsfeld is a war criminal. And we should not be justifying our own misdeeds on the basis that others have done worse things. I don't expect to hear Baathists to apologize. I do expect our troops to not do the things we supposedly invaded Iraq to stop the Baathists from doing.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:23 PM   #73
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
The question of whether Saddam is a war criminal (and he should and will be tried) is not even remotely related to the question of whether Rumsfeld is a war criminal. And we should not be justifying our own misdeeds on the basis that others have done worse things. I don't expect to hear Baathists to apologize. I do expect our troops to not do the things we supposedly invaded Iraq to stop the Baathists from doing.

Did I miss the article where our troops were committing mass genocide against a minority group of people?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 12:36 PM   #74
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Did I miss the article where our troops were committing mass genocide against a minority group of people?

This thread is about the mistreatment of prisoners.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:22 PM   #75
Flasch186
Coordinator

So the New Yorker broke one story that turned out to be true and now the REP's say the next breaking story is automatically a lie? Interesting. I would think after the first Truism they would get a little credit whether or not the story is true....Wouldnt after the first true story you say, "interesting. Perhaps this story is true as well. I'd like to wait to see how it plays out before I pass judgement, but it is interesting." Immediately, Dems say its true and Reps say the publication is crap. Partisan garbage at its finest. Ive learned, somepeople will go to death for Bush and some will not (im the latter) but you should be able to "flip flop". Learn from your mistakes and change your judgment....ITs called "Learning".

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 02:48 PM   #76
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My semi-neutral (but generally right-wing leaning) view on this: I want to see some better evidence before I believe the story, but if (big if) this turns out to be accurate you're probably looking at the end of Rumsfield's career and probably Bush's presidency as well. And rightly so.

After only a week, Bush's "you're doing a great job" sound bite is already looking like it will surpass "MIssion Accomplished" and "bring it on" on his greatest hits list.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:52 PM   #77
Dutch
"Dutch"

I doubt it. Politics aside, Donald Rumsfeld, as the Secretary of Defense, has done his job superbly. He has done everything asked of him with great success. I'm not sure how it can be interpreted any other way.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:07 PM   #78
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Politics aside...
It's an election year. There is no "politics aside".
Old 05-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #79
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog Purple
Now come on Cam. When any administration admits a bit of wrongdoing openly, it's almost always a smokescreen. As you should know, it takes time to gather sources and go through red tape.

This is Rumsfeld's 3rd go around. If you honestly believe he doesn't know every nook and cranny of his own department, then I don't know what to say. It's like saying J. Edgar Hoover had no idea what was going on in the FBI. Ironically this sounds exactly like how people defended McNamara.

Rumsfeld spoke a grain of truth in his testimony to Congress. "I am responsible."

Right. Whether he ordered it or not (and I find it hard to believe that something this critical didn't reach as high as Wolfowitz and Rumsfeld), it happened on his watch.

The Republicans are all about "personal responsibility" (or so they claim). It's high time that Rumsfeld fell on his sword. Whether he ordered it or not, he is in charge, he is responsible. Time to go, Rummy.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:00 PM   #80
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I doubt it. Politics aside, Donald Rumsfeld, as the Secretary of Defense, has done his job superbly. He has done everything asked of him with great success. I'm not sure how it can be interpreted any other way.

I disagree strongly with this statement. He sent in a force too small and too lightly armed and armored to win the peace. He conveniently winked at systemic violations of the Geneva convention. He managed to do an admirable job in a few months of helping to undermine a system of alliances that 50+ years worth of Presidents, Republican and Democrat alike, worked to build up, and oh, btw, things have only become worse.

Rumsfeld has bollocksed up just about everything he's touched, and frankly, he should go, the abuse scandals notwithstanding.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:24 PM   #81
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

From the accounts I have read, and I admit I have been a bit too busy to follow this story as well I would like, I would hope he would be prosecuted for war crimes with a small "c". What I mean by that; is that stripping, blindfolding, and forcing prisoners into a "dog pile" is a far cry from rape, interrogation through torture, genocide, or outright murder for that matter. This is by no means an excuse. No one should have decided to trade the honor of this nation for some short term gain. IF it was a policy to humiliate these prisoners as a tactic to loosen their tongues, and IF Rumsfeld signed off on it, then he should be held responsible for it.

The punishment should fit the crime though. When you brandish the phrase War Crimes, you summon up images far worse than the pictures released.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 04:32 PM   #82
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

So it wasn't his idea to GO GO GO now, rather than wait for the divsion that was supposed to deploy through Turkey? It wasn't his plan that had our troops bypassing and isolating hotspots thereby exposing our unprotected support troops to enemy attacks? It wasn't his responsibility to have a game plan in place for what to do when the Saddam's regime was defeated? I think his performance has been a mixed bag.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 04:39 PM   #83
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

I agree with this in one sense. The "shock and awe" tactical bombing was brilliant, though some of the credit goes to Franks for assertation of targets and the technology at our disposal. He also kept Isreal completely out of both with the assistance of Powell and for that I am thankful.

However this particular issue is not a political issue, this is about the human rights of prisoners of war something which we went over there blaring our trumpets that we were going to fix over in Iraq. It's pretty obvious to me anyways that Joe Average in Iraq is thankful for what we have done but for the rest of the world, the trumpets of morality we were blaring in Iraq sound pretty off key now. It puts a sour taste to the democracy and freedom this administration promised.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:40 PM   #84
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

For all this stuff I am reading and hearing on the news why would anyone want to vote for Bush? My goodness I am quite sure the youth will not vote for him because if i could he doesnt have my vote period. I dont want to be drafted to fight for someones personal beef against another country. I don't for all the wars we have had in the past 100 years people still don't learn. Bush most not be re-elected but John Kerry isn't the best choice out there so the lesser of the two evils...
Old 05-16-2004, 04:52 PM   #85
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WussGawd
The Republicans are all about "personal responsibility" (or so they claim). It's high time that Rumsfeld fell on his sword. Whether he ordered it or not, he is in charge, he is responsible. Time to go, Rummy.

That's BS. I showed you an article by your "highly respected" LA Times Editor that printed faked anti-war photos from his field journalists. You don't believe for a second that the LA Times Editor should be fired for the corruption of his employees, just like I don't believe a very valuable member of the Bush Administration should step down because of what some twisted minded soldiers did to prisoners when they were alone with them.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:54 PM   #86
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Yes, the system tells you that only Bush or Kerry can win. So you must limit your choices to those two as you've been programmed, Good Citizen.

Last edited by Tekneek : 05-16-2004 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #87
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
... for all the wars we have had in the past 100 years people still don't learn.
Don't believe the "war is always bad" brigade. Many countries, yours included, have fought very noble and necessary wars in the past century.

Time will tell whether this current war is seen in that category. It doesn't look good now.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:56 PM   #88
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
IF it was a policy to humiliate these prisoners as a tactic to loosen their tongues, and IF Rumsfeld signed off on it, then he should be held responsible for it.
I got the impression from the article (or maybe a different one) that Rumsfeld signed off on a policy of humiliation for high-level Al-Qaida prisoners to be performed by highly trained CIA people. Then he signed off on an expanded program sometime during the Iraq war, and that this spun out of control because it wasn't being done by the specialists. I'm guessing there is some element of truth in this, and it'll come down to Rumsfeld signing off on something less than what happened at Abu Ghraib, but instead of trying to figure out nuance and what exactly he did approve/condone versus what we should approve/condone, both sides will turn it into a partisan, black and white, Rumsfeld approved torture/no he didn't argument.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 04:56 PM   #89
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WussGawd
I disagree strongly with this statement. He sent in a force too small and too lightly armed and armored to win the peace. He conveniently winked at systemic violations of the Geneva convention. He managed to do an admirable job in a few months of helping to undermine a system of alliances that 50+ years worth of Presidents, Republican and Democrat alike, worked to build up, and oh, btw, things have only become worse.

Rumsfeld has bollocksed up just about everything he's touched, and frankly, he should go, the abuse scandals notwithstanding.

The force-size was perfect. We finished major combat operations in less than a month, removed the Baath Party from power and had historically minimal loss of life to both American, enemy, and civilian personnel. Hell, they didn't even get a chance to detonate their oil fields that were all rigged for self-sabotage. The decision to send in special forces to secure those oil fields in one of the main reasons that Iraq is back up to pre-war levels already is on the fast track to it's normal production levels. Once that money starts flowing in, things will only get better. It's not flowing in to Saddam's pocket, but the infrastructure of their economy.

The rest of your argument is pure political fluff. 50+ years of alliances gone? We all know that the French and Germans and Russians had too much at stake financially with Saddam Hussein for anybody to believe that the USA didn't try and try again with regards to the UN. Unless they are force fed anti-American bi-polarism by the news media....

Last edited by Dutch : 05-16-2004 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:01 PM   #90
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
So it wasn't his idea to GO GO GO now, rather than wait for the divsion that was supposed to deploy through Turkey?

The Turks voted in Parliament whether or not to allow us passage. The vote failed by 19 votes. While it passed with a majority, it required 66% to pass.

The ironic part of that is that the "Western Friendly, EU hopeful" party voted almost completely against the passage of US troops (to gain favor with the EU who of course, talked a great talk to Turkey about joining the EU prior to the vote and then snubbed them completely after the vote).

The pro-Islamic party that took office just months before the vote voted almost unanimously on the passage of American troops.

But once the vote was passed, what exactly was our Secretary of State supposed to do? When a democratically elected parliament speaks, it speaks. It's say is final. Or did you have something else in mind, like, invading Turkey to gain that foothold?
Old 05-16-2004, 05:04 PM   #91
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Or did you have something else in mind, like, invading Turkey to gain that foothold?

If we had the same concerns for the Kurds that we said we did, we might have thought about doing such a thing. We forgive Turkey for killing Kurds though, just not Saddam.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #92
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
If we had the same concerns for the Kurds that we said we did, we might have thought about doing such a thing. We forgive Turkey for killing Kurds though, just not Saddam.
This is partly true, but the level of oppression is very different. Also, Kurdistan covers parts of Syria and Iran too, so include them along with Turkey.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #93
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

The Turks lost 35,000, mostly civilians to terror strikes from the Kurds PKK terror organization (which is not defunct because the Turks destroyed it and put it's leader in prison). Excuse me.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:11 PM   #94
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Yes, the system tells you that only Bush or Kerry can win. So you must limit your choices to those two as you've been programmed, Good Citizen.

An I suppose your a free mind not bound to the same rules as everyone else? Sorry bro this is not the matrix with sentials and agents.... nope your not the one, two or three your just like everyone else.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:13 PM   #95
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I'm guessing there is some element of truth in this, and it'll come down to Rumsfeld signing off on something less than what happened at Abu Ghraib, but instead of trying to figure out nuance and what exactly he did approve/condone versus what we should approve/condone, both sides will turn it into a partisan, black and white, Rumsfeld approved torture/no he didn't argument.

Well for what it's worth the 140ish articles of the Geneva Convention regarding prisoners of war are pretty specific in what you cannot do. If Rumsfeld did sign off on anything that breaches any of them he is guilty of war crimes. There is little left to interpretation or grey area in this instance.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:16 PM   #96
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
That's BS. I showed you an article by your "highly respected" LA Times Editor that printed faked anti-war photos from his field journalists. You don't believe for a second that the LA Times Editor should be fired for the corruption of his employees, just like I don't believe a very valuable member of the Bush Administration should step down because of what some twisted minded soldiers did to prisoners when they were alone with them.

Editors have resigned over less. One at the Daily Mirror just did.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:18 PM   #97
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The force-size was perfect. We finished major combat operations in less than a month, removed the Baath Party from power and had historically minimal loss of life to both American, enemy, and civilian personnel. Hell, they didn't even get a chance to detonate their oil fields that were all rigged for self-sabotage. The decision to send in special forces to secure those oil fields in one of the main reasons that Iraq is back up to pre-war levels already is on the fast track to it's normal production levels. Once that money starts flowing in, things will only get better. It's not flowing in to Saddam's pocket, but the infrastructure of their economy.

The rest of your argument is pure political fluff. 50+ years of alliances gone? We all know that the French and Germans and Russians had too much at stake financially with Saddam Hussein for anybody to believe that the USA didn't try and try again with regards to the UN. Unless they are force fed anti-American bi-polarism by the news media....

The force size was right for a blitzkrieg invasion. It wasn't anywhere close to enough to provide security, which might have nipped much of this "insurgency" in the bud.

Any way you slice it, our folks in the field are paying the price for Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz's errors.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:32 PM   #98
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The Turks lost 35,000, mostly civilians to terror strikes from the Kurds PKK terror organization (which is not defunct because the Turks destroyed it and put it's leader in prison). Excuse me.

Terrorist groups operating in Iraq were also based in the Kurdish areas. Go figure.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:36 PM   #99
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
An I suppose your a free mind not bound to the same rules as everyone else? Sorry bro this is not the matrix with sentials and agents.... nope your not the one, two or three your just like everyone else.

I certainly don't buy into the mass-marketed idea that I only have two choices for President, if that is what you are asking. Of course, most people believe what they are told and won't consider anything outside of those two. Media is ran by big business. Big business greases up both parties. There is a lot of money and power banked on keeping us limited to a "two-party system." Refusing to believe you have any other choice means their plan is working.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:50 PM   #100
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

The way I see it if I vote for a third party I am in essence wasting a vote.