Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2004, 11:34 PM   #51
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Is there a version of ML somewhere in Calgary?

Well...i guess if someone was to be a true ML clone they would have to live in Edmonton and be a Calgary fan
(Looks up from Kerry Fraser doll with with hair curler stuck in rectum.)

WHAT?

Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:53 PM   #52
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
I prefer to go with the whole leading us to a national championship thing, but whatever works for you.

Now, this is a example of a bandwagon fan.

Were you at the U when "we" won? Go to any games?

Go back and look thru my NCAA Hockey threads from that year, how many posts?
Old 06-06-2004, 12:38 AM   #53
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
Now, this is a example of a bandwagon fan.

Were you at the U when "we" won? Go to any games?

Go back and look thru my NCAA Hockey threads from that year, how many posts?

I've followed the team, though haven't posted as much as you. This is my first year at the U (and yes, I watched the painful defeat to those bastards from up north), but I'm too poor to buy hockey tickets.

I am a big Gopher sports fan, and would not consider myself to be bandwagon at all. If I were I probably wouldn't have tortured myself watching mens basketball games this year.

Bandwagon for Calgary, however, yes.

Last edited by mckerney : 06-06-2004 at 12:41 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:51 AM   #54
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

GOOOO TAMPA!

Sorry
Old 06-06-2004, 01:06 AM   #55
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i find it absolutely amazing that tampa bay has neither won nor lost 2 in a row since game 1 of the eastern conference finals. theyve alternated wins and losses for 13 games. thats gotta be a record.

also, the most games a team can lose in a playoff year and still win the cup is 12. the flames have lost 10 (also must be a record, i think). pretty interesting, to me anyway.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:45 AM   #56
Simms
FOBL Commish

Here's why it matters that the puck was in the air on the "no goal" and why it's impossible to say conclusively that the puck was (or wasn't) in the net:

The "best" camera angle was not straight along the goal line; rather, it was was at a fairly significant angle (40° ?). The angle distorts the perspective so that it's impossible to tell if the vertical space (below the puck) is greater or less than the horizontal space (beyond the goal line).

Here's another example for comparison: The next time you're riding as a passenger in a car (with an analog odometer), look over from your passenger seat and note where the needle *appears* to be. Then ask your driver how fast s/he is actually going. In all likelihood, you will have underestimated the actual speed by 3-5 mph. It looks different to you, the passenger, because the needle is not flush with the face of the odometer, so from your angle, you're also seeing the space between the needle and the face of the instrument itself. Seeing this space distorts the reality of the location of the needle.

Same concept with the goal.

(btw, I know this because my wife would occasionally find reason to complain that I was only going 72 or 73 on the highway. Until I explained that I was actually driving closer to 80.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:07 AM   #57
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
Here's why it matters that the puck was in the air on the "no goal" and why it's impossible to say conclusively that the puck was (or wasn't) in the net:

The "best" camera angle was not straight along the goal line; rather, it was was at a fairly significant angle (40° ?). The angle distorts the perspective so that it's impossible to tell if the vertical space (below the puck) is greater or less than the horizontal space (beyond the goal line).

The announcers did talk about this, but only briefly. And only once did they show an overhead shot, and not in slow-mo freeze-frame to see where the goalie's skate was when it started it's kicking motion. Instead they chose the angle that showed the most controversy so they had something to talk about.

Just goes to show sports announcers are more interested in the sensational angle than the truth, just like the rest of the media

It could have been a goal, it might not have been, but we needed more views, especially from the overhead, to make a judgement.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:01 PM   #58
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
Here's another example for comparison: The next time you're riding as a passenger in a car (with an analog odometer), look over from your passenger seat and note where the needle *appears* to be. Then ask your driver how fast s/he is actually going. In all likelihood, you will have underestimated the actual speed by 3-5 mph. It looks different to you, the passenger, because the needle is not flush with the face of the odometer, so from your angle, you're also seeing the space between the needle and the face of the instrument itself. Seeing this space distorts the reality of the location of the needle.

Same concept with the goal.

(btw, I know this because my wife would occasionally find reason to complain that I was only going 72 or 73 on the highway. Until I explained that I was actually driving closer to 80.

Parallax error

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #59
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
And only once did they show an overhead shot, and not in slow-mo freeze-frame to see where the goalie's skate was when it started it's kicking motion.

That's weird how they could show it just once for you but they played it several times for me.

Last edited by sabotai : 06-06-2004 at 12:30 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:52 PM   #60
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

He's also watching the CBC feed, and may have only shown it once. I read in the paper this morning that Sutter did not believe it was a goal.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:02 PM   #61
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
No, not when the Flames have a player like Jordan Leopold.
I still hold a grudge against Leopold for winning the Hobey Baker.

(My horse in that race was Jim Fahey, who I hold had a more impressive season on the blue line than Leopold. Fahey matched Leopold in scoring [Leopold was the highest-scoring defenseman in the country only because his team won the national championship, playing between five and ten more games than Fahey did], while playing on a team with a lot fewer weapons. Teams knew they could beat Northeastern by shutting Fahey down, while Minnesota was a deep team with a very good offense that would still beat you if you denied Leopold. I got to watch Leopold play in person at the Frozen Four that year, and he did nothing to particularly impress me.)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:06 PM   #62
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Dola, I've seen replays and a picture of it. The replays, it looked like it was in. The picture, however, was not conclusive -- the puck appeared to be on its side, so even though you could see daylight, it was possible that the near side was still over the goal line. I couldn't tell, based on comparison of the picture to my remembrance of the replays, whether that picture was from the point where the puck was at its nearest approach to being in the goal or not.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:11 AM   #63
bbor
Pro Starter

Where is Fahey now?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 01:09 AM   #64
BlingBlingKilla
Banned

How on earth can they play hockey? Its freakin 100% in the shade!
BlingBlingKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 01:23 AM   #65
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
by being a Red Wings fan....Always a disappointment.

Aw, come on now. What about 1997? 1998? 2002? Not much disappointment there. Want "always a disappointment" talk to bbor, Maple Leafs, sterlingice, Primer, and Mizzou... They know that pain.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:25 AM   #66
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Where is Fahey now?
San Jose

Last edited by Karim : 06-07-2004 at 03:27 AM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:10 AM   #67
Karim
College Starter

It's 3:09 a.m. and I can't sleep. I check out the Flames' board and it's as active as ever... we're nervous wrecks and the game is 15 hours away....
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:23 AM   #68
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Where is Fahey now?
As Karim said, he's in San Jose. Last season, he started out in Cleveland, was called up when they ran into injuries halfway through the season, and he put up good numbers staying the rest of the way (his PPG were among the best for rookie defensemen).

This season, he got two more players competing for his job in Erhoff (sp?) and Preissing, plus the veterans were healthy. For whatever reason, he had a lot more trouble finding ice time, yo-yo'd a little between San Jose and Cleveland, and spent most of the end of the regular season and the playoffs as a healthy scratch.

And since I brought this up because of Leopold...
Last season, there was no question Fahey had a better season.
This season, there is no question Leopold had a better season and looks better going forward.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:08 AM   #69
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
I still hold a grudge against Leopold for winning the Hobey Baker.

(My horse in that race was Jim Fahey, who I hold had a more impressive season on the blue line than Leopold. Fahey matched Leopold in scoring [Leopold was the highest-scoring defenseman in the country only because his team won the national championship, playing between five and ten more games than Fahey did], while playing on a team with a lot fewer weapons. Teams knew they could beat Northeastern by shutting Fahey down, while Minnesota was a deep team with a very good offense that would still beat you if you denied Leopold. I got to watch Leopold play in person at the Frozen Four that year, and he did nothing to particularly impress me.)

If you follow College Hockey, you will know that when the vote is taken, many of the people that vote also take into consideration a players 4 year career.

This is from the Hobey Baker site

"Leopold, a two-time First-Team All-American and a finalist for the award last season, is the fourth defenseman to win the Hobey Baker, and the fourth Golden Gopher."

If Leopold didn't impress you at the Frozen 4 I can understand why, the Gophers were loaded that year, but, I attend alot of Gopher hockey games and Leopold was smooth as silk that year.

There were many deserving of the award that year, Leopold, Haydar, Hartigan, Dubielewicz and even Fahey.

Even this year the award winner could be debated, I would say the best player in the country was Parise, but because Lessard had the 4 year career, he got the award.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:11 AM   #70
Fiddler
In The Penalty Box

"how could you not root for calgary tonight?"

Simple dont want the cup going to Canada ... U S A

11 years and counting lets make it 12

Last edited by Fiddler : 06-07-2004 at 08:12 AM.
Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:50 AM   #71
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler
"how could you not root for calgary tonight?"

Simple dont want the cup going to Canada ... U S A

11 years and counting lets make it 12

That's just wrong. Sic 'em Cards
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:55 AM   #72
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I certainly don't understand that thinking, but, from what I'm told here, it's normal!

I don't dislike Tampa, have no problem with the southern team winning, but I'm still hoping that the people in Calgary get a big parade with a huge silver trophy in a couple of days!
Old 06-07-2004, 11:09 AM   #73
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm an American and have been a Calgary fan since I visited in 1988. I fell in love with the city. I was just getting into hockey at the time and needed a team to root for (surprisingly, there is no NHL franchise in Arkansas!) and visiting Calgary sealed it. There was also something about that Flaming C logo that I just loved. To this day I think it is the coolest pro sport logo (any sport). I'm no bandwagon fan, all my friends will tell you I'm a Calgary fan big time. That said, GO FLAMES!
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:25 AM   #74
Kevin
High School JV

I'm hoping for Tampa only because their coach said they will never play the trap system. Having said that, I can't complain much about it going to Calgary either. How's that for fence sitting?
Old 06-07-2004, 11:45 AM   #75
bbor
Pro Starter

I want Calgary to win...but more so i don't want a blow out either way.I would LOVE this series to be decided in OT on a pretty goal,Although i would worry about Klayman and Karims health if this happened

No Regher tonight?....or is Sutter just playing games?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:46 AM   #76
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Aw, come on now. What about 1997? 1998? 2002? Not much disappointment there. Want "always a disappointment" talk to bbor, Maple Leafs, sterlingice, Primer, and Mizzou... They know that pain.

Borshevsky

Old 06-07-2004, 11:49 AM   #77
Fiddler
In The Penalty Box

heard somthing about disappointment up above there... to talk about disappointment.... I was a Hartford Whalers Fan for years had Season tickets to their last season.... No Folks that is real disappointment... Having your team moved to carolina........... probally some pictures of me on an old whaler site somewhere (hey maybe jeff will dig them up he is good at digging up my personal life) use to sit in the goal judge seat down at the whalers end every game during warmups... and i did that shoot to win one time.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:54 AM   #78
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Great article in today's Star about the phantom goal...
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=970081593064
Old 06-07-2004, 11:56 AM   #79
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler
and i did that shoot to win one time.

Did ya score???

Lemme guess...Ron Francis is your favorite player

Old 06-07-2004, 12:02 PM   #80
Fiddler
In The Penalty Box

actually I liked Kevin Dineen

and no i didnt win you get like 30 seconds with 12 pucks.... if u beat the other person shooting against you you get to shoot 5 pucks u score all 5 you win some big prize like some all expense paid trip i think it was... runner up prize for beating the other guy was a 100 dollar gift certificate.... well i tied in the first round... so we shot a 5 puck tie breaker... (unfortunatly my good shooting showed here a bit early) hit all 5 shots... got my shot at the 5 for the big prize hit everyone cept the 3rd. it was cool tho got to watch the last 10 minutes of the 2nd period from where the zamboni comes out.

fond memories from those games...
Old 06-07-2004, 01:18 PM   #81
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I want Calgary to win...but more so i don't want a blow out either way.I would LOVE this series to be decided in OT on a pretty goal,Although i would worry about Klayman and Karims health if this happened

I'll be ok. Don't forget, I'm an Oiler fan so deep down, somewhere in the cockles, maybe even below the cockles, I don't want them to really win anyway. And if they do, we all get to see your wife's boobies. It's win/win for me.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 02:29 PM   #82
kingfc22
Head Coach

Reason 1. They are from Canada
Reason 2. They beat the Sharks
Reason 3. I want to see a guy that has played too many damn games without winning a cup.
Reason 4. There nickname is the Flames

Last edited by kingfc22 : 06-07-2004 at 02:30 PM. Reason: added reason 4
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:02 PM   #83
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've been rooting for TB since the first season, so I want them to win. However, if they don't, I will have absolutely no bad feelings about Calgary winning. Unlike, say, LA winning over Detroit.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote