Captain Obvious

I will try to setup another match tomorrow night

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:39 PM   #52
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

3 hours for a 4-person match? Is this normal?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #53
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I suck
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:59 PM   #54
Tasan
College Starter

Hey I signed up and used chinaski as the referrer. I'll try to join in some this weekend, my name is tasan on there as well.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:17 PM   #55
JeeberDMack
Mascot

I'll definitely give this a look once I get back into town...
JeeberDMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:27 PM   #56
JHandley
High School Varsity

I am completely lost. I keep going to the practice course, I pay my green fees and then I can't do anything other than hit the same drive off the tee. It's like the game doesn't progress. I hit my drive, it tells me how far it went, and then I go again.

I was able to get to lvl 8 playing on the beginner course, but what happens when I run out of my free admissions? How doI earn other admissions? Do they cost a certain amount of Ng's?

If this is explained in the help, could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:42 PM   #57
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yeah, just play the beginner course a bunch. It costs some amount of cash every time, but you make more during the course of the match.

My chick has one sexy ass.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:03 AM   #58
Raven
College Prospect

Weird things happening for me here.

I played the tutorial just fine. Then I was played out the 3 practice holes with np. Now I am on the grass, and the icons keep flashing on and off. They won't stay up long enough for me to see what to do next, so I finally found how to exit. I'll try again, but I am wondering if this is my video card acting up?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:16 AM   #59
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I installed the thing but there's something that's not right with it. The text is all garbled, as if it only showed the first three letters of every sentences. Like whe I go to connect, if I enter my username in the field, it'll read something like "qcfqcfqcfqcf" in stead of what I'm typing which is "qcfrogman". Also the button on the right, which I assume should read "confirm" reads "conconcon" and tha "cancel" button read "cancancan"...

Anyway, you see what I mean. I'm able to enter my username and password, and the second screen is much of the same, can't read anything... Didn't spend much time troubleshooting it, but I saw some other people reporting it on their forums...

Anybody else had this problem? If so, did you fix it and how?

FM
Old 04-15-2005, 10:01 AM   #60
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
I installed the thing but there's something that's not right with it. The text is all garbled, as if it only showed the first three letters of every sentences. Like whe I go to connect, if I enter my username in the field, it'll read something like "qcfqcfqcfqcf" in stead of what I'm typing which is "qcfrogman". Also the button on the right, which I assume should read "confirm" reads "conconcon" and tha "cancel" button read "cancancan"...

Anyway, you see what I mean. I'm able to enter my username and password, and the second screen is much of the same, can't read anything... Didn't spend much time troubleshooting it, but I saw some other people reporting it on their forums...

Anybody else had this problem? If so, did you fix it and how?

FM

Hey Frogman, I think this might have something to do with your regional settings in windows. Try switching it to somewhere in America (PST or EST)
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:08 AM   #61
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski
Hey Frogman, I think this might have something to do with your regional settings in windows. Try switching it to somewhere in America (PST or EST)

well, unless I screwed up my settings when I installed Windows, it should be in America, Quebec is in America Not picking on you btw...

I read something about an east language package or something like that... I'll have to fool with it tonight. I'm kind of worried that it may be my graphic card, cause I got the kind of crappy thing that came with my Compaq Presario, so...

FM
Old 04-15-2005, 10:13 AM   #62
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHandley
I am completely lost. I keep going to the practice course, I pay my green fees and then I can't do anything other than hit the same drive off the tee. It's like the game doesn't progress. I hit my drive, it tells me how far it went, and then I go again.

I was able to get to lvl 8 playing on the beginner course, but what happens when I run out of my free admissions? How doI earn other admissions? Do they cost a certain amount of Ng's?

If this is explained in the help, could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

The first time you log into the game it goes thru the tutorial and explains the difference between the Beginners Course and the Practice Course, im not sure if there is anymore clarification beyond that. Practice course is just a few different practice scenarios: putting green, chipping green, drive range and the actual single golfer practice course. The practice course has its own FAQ that you can get to when youre on that course, but basically on the practice course you can move the ball anmywhere by right clicking on the minimap where you want to drop the ball, then you just practice your shot. You dont get any XP or NG from putzing around on the practice course, but you do from completing the skill challenges on the putting, chipping and driving ranges.

Sounds like you found the Beginners course ok, which is where all the main action goes down (at least for everyone under LVL 20). The green fee for any match on the Beginners course is 1,000 NG (match, skin, stroke - regardless how many holes.. 3, 6, 9, or 18 = 1,000 NG). If you hit just a couple good shots, youre going to make back your green fee pretty quik. So it seems like the beginners course free admissions you start out with are just to get you going, after you play a 18 or more holes with a group, youre going to have a lot of NG.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-15-2005, 10:13 AM   #63
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I am starting to develope a nice touch on this game now. My handicap is down to 13, but in the last 12 holes I played, I got 10 pars and 2 bogeys. Up to level 11. It takes a bit of time to get a feel for the distances and putting, and playing the same course over and over forces you to learn the best way to play different holes.

I am ready for the FOFC Tour!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:18 AM   #64
JHandley
High School Varsity

I had a problem with text similar to yours, FM. I wasn't gettting the same letters repeating, but about halfway into the sentence, it would...double up. It would print two different lines on top of each other. It wasn't enough to bother me and I could usually figure out what it was trying to say.

I don't imagine it's a problem with your graphic card not being able to handle the load, but it does sound like it might be a driver issue. You might want to reinstall the drivers and see if that clears it up.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:22 AM   #65
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Has anybody spent any of their Ng on equipment yet? I was looking at spikes and gloves and some clubs, but had no idea if I would just be wasting Ng on some of this stuff.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 04-15-2005, 10:22 AM   #66
JHandley
High School Varsity

Chinaski -

Yeah, after I just gave up on the practice course, I was able to get in a few rounds with a couple other people. Seems odd that the beginners course is so cheap to play, having really only played maybe 3-4 rounds, I'm sitting at about 70k. Can't figure out why they have the free admissions. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #67
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I had a problem with text similar to yours, FM. I wasn't gettting the same letters repeating, but about halfway into the sentence, it would...double up. It would print two different lines on top of each other. It wasn't enough to bother me and I could usually figure out what it was trying to say.

I don't imagine it's a problem with your graphic card not being able to handle the load, but it does sound like it might be a driver issue. You might want to reinstall the drivers and see if that clears it up.

I also thought about upgrading the drivers. Might do that tonight, unless FM2005 grabs me and doesn't let go

FM
Old 04-15-2005, 10:26 AM   #68
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
well, unless I screwed up my settings when I installed Windows, it should be in America, Quebec is in America Not picking on you btw...

I read something about an east language package or something like that... I'll have to fool with it tonight. I'm kind of worried that it may be my graphic card, cause I got the kind of crappy thing that came with my Compaq Presario, so...

FM

Aaah, ok. I just know this is a Korean produced game, so i thought maybe they overlooked you Habs

I see some garbled text on my end just rarely, and i think that is just untranslated korean they missed.

I think if you go to hxxp://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
you'll find the eastern language pack install.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:30 AM   #69
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Signed up and downloading. I'm HJSimpson.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:49 AM   #70
JHandley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel
Has anybody spent any of their Ng on equipment yet? I was looking at spikes and gloves and some clubs, but had no idea if I would just be wasting Ng on some of this stuff.

I haven't spent anything because I didn't know how much the green fees for the beginner course was. Now that I do, I may be investing in some clubs, but I haven't been able to figure out what benefits you get from the shoes and gloves. Might be just a cosmetic thing to go along with the RPG portion of the game.

However, I don't get the RPG portion of the game yet at all either. I'm not sure why the designer wanted to make it an RPG instead of simply a great grand golf game. There could have been tours, from expert to beginner. Leagues made up of friends or public leagues. Could have had a wager tour, no prize money, just win whatever you can from the other player.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:11 AM   #71
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
I am starting to develope a nice touch on this game now. My handicap is down to 13, but in the last 12 holes I played, I got 10 pars and 2 bogeys. Up to level 11. It takes a bit of time to get a feel for the distances and putting, and playing the same course over and over forces you to learn the best way to play different holes.

I am ready for the FOFC Tour!

Not yet. Although I did shoot an 81 last night on the beginner course.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:14 AM   #72
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
I haven't spent anything because I didn't know how much the green fees for the beginner course was. Now that I do, I may be investing in some clubs, but I haven't been able to figure out what benefits you get from the shoes and gloves. Might be just a cosmetic thing to go along with the RPG portion of the game.

However, I don't get the RPG portion of the game yet at all either. I'm not sure why the designer wanted to make it an RPG instead of simply a great grand golf game. There could have been tours, from expert to beginner. Leagues made up of friends or public leagues. Could have had a wager tour, no prize money, just win whatever you can from the other player.

Ive been holding on to my NG's till I hit lvl 20, when you can finally buy new clubs. From what ive seen, new clubs run 100k plus.

The RPG portion of the game is just the advancement of your players skill stats, beyond that it looks like they have some sort of quest system - but its not available yet. I imagine that will be used for completing certain skill challenges, unless they want me to go hunt 10 ground hogs?

Handley, there are tours and everything else you mention (maybe not right this second, but all of that is planned from what i understand). I believe you have to be lvl 20+ to compete in the championship series tour. A Skin game is a great way to win money, I won 9k a hole for 9 holes yesterday!
Old 04-15-2005, 11:17 AM   #73
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:

I think everything is just a cosmetic purchase until you hit level 20. Once you hit 20, you can buy all sorts of stuff that has additional stat enhancements (clubs, clothes, balls, drinks)

I havent spent a cent yet, saving up for new woods!
Old 04-15-2005, 11:18 AM   #74
vyshka
Mascot

Just signed up. Vyshka on there too.
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #75
Schmidty
Coordinator

Signed up just now. Schmidty, of course.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:48 AM   #76
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign
I was going to try it but when I click on connect the program just disappears instead of connecting to the server.

weird. did it update itself first? The very first run, it should download 19 small patches.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:38 PM   #77
kingfc22
Head Coach

How do I put backspin on my shots? I still can't firgue it out for the life of me.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:39 PM   #78
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Signed up. DeToxRox. Havent played it yet tho.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:54 PM   #79
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
How do I put backspin on my shots? I still can't firgue it out for the life of me.

From what I can tell there are 2 ways. (1) increase your impact rating and (2) right click on the golf ball (the same one you click to swing), moving the red dot to the bottom of the ball.

I'm a beginner still, so take that advise with a grain of salt.

Old 04-15-2005, 03:02 PM   #80
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
From what I can tell there are 2 ways. (1) increase your impact rating and (2) right click on the golf ball (the same one you click to swing), moving the red dot to the bottom of the ball.

I'm a beginner still, so take that advise with a grain of salt.

Cool, I've been striking the bottom of the ball but it hits the green and just rolls. Of course I'm only a lvl. 3 right now and Woton does not start with any impact skill.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:29 PM   #81
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski
weird. did it update itself first? The very first run, it should download 19 small patches.

It did that. It is after that is done that I click connect and it closes. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it still does the same thing.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:31 PM   #82
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Whoo. Just shot a cool 74.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:43 PM   #83
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Cool, I've been striking the bottom of the ball but it hits the green and just rolls. Of course I'm only a lvl. 3 right now and Woton does not start with any impact skill.

You got the right idea, youre just to low in lvl right now. You really wont be able to put much noticable spin on the ball until you get your impact skill above 10.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #84
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign
It did that. It is after that is done that I click connect and it closes. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it still does the same thing.

The support on the game is pretty sparse right now, the generic answer is to make sure your graphics card drivers and directx are completely up to date. Ive seen a few problems similar to yours get resolved this way, but im not finding anyone with the exact same problem as you :/
Old 04-15-2005, 03:56 PM   #85
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

There is some equipment you can buy that adjusts stats. I believe I was looking at some shoes that added a +6 to power and a -6 to impact, or something like that.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:06 PM   #86
kingfc22
Head Coach

Lvl. 7 with a 20 handicap
Old 04-15-2005, 05:56 PM   #87
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I have started up another Room FOFC pw is trout again

Old 04-15-2005, 06:26 PM   #88
NevStar
High School Varsity

Just got a hole-in-one on the 17th at Alfheim! Woo-hoo!
Old 04-15-2005, 07:22 PM   #89
KWhit
Coordinator

Why don't you all just go buy Tiger Woods 2004 (it's very cheap, since it's last year's version) and we can play some real golf!
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:23 PM   #90
KWhit
Coordinator

Well, "real" as in better fake golf.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:26 PM   #91
Airhog
Captain Obvious

we just got done shooting 9. Looking to get another round going!

Old 04-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #92
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Me and my magic boobs lost the round by 1 stroke. Bah!
Old 04-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #93
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Why don't you all just go buy Tiger Woods 2004 (it's very cheap, since it's last year's version) and we can play some real golf!

I own TW. I like this better.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:43 PM   #94
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Room is Fofc and Password is Trout

Old 04-15-2005, 07:46 PM   #95
Airhog
Captain Obvious

If we dont get a 3 or 4 some by 8:00cst I plan on justing playing alone or with whoever is there

Old 04-15-2005, 08:45 PM   #96
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I got a +14 on the Beginners Course. ph33r me... or something
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:47 PM   #97
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Im in room #905 PW Trout

Old 04-15-2005, 11:03 PM   #98
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
I own TW. I like this better.

You're kidding. Why?
Old 04-16-2005, 12:42 AM   #99
Ramzavail
College Starter

I'm Ramzavail, the greens are AWFULLY fast...

I hit 7 and 8 irons on the green and they skip right off like nobodys business, that just doesnt happen.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:54 AM   #100
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail
I'm Ramzavail, the greens are AWFULLY fast...

I hit 7 and 8 irons on the green and they skip right off like nobodys business, that just doesnt happen.
just keep in mind, this is a RPG'ish golf game. Your not going to be able to put any noticeable backspin on the ball until you get your characters stats up, same applies to draws, fades and putting to a smaller degree.

Last edited by chinaski : 04-16-2005 at 12:58 AM.