Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2005, 08:05 AM   #51
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

It would've been better if the person called you over to taste the soup, and insist on you tasting the soup.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:09 AM   #52
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

"How do you like your grits? Regular, or al dente?"
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:13 AM   #53
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Reason #242583 to avoid chain restaurants, I suppose. Sorry to hear that you had a bad night out, though.
Whats reason #181457?
Old 05-26-2005, 08:14 AM   #54
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
The manager came over and said it was impossible to cook the pasta al dente, as it's all cooked ahead of time.

I'm sorry, but that boggles the mind. As someone who has a lot of experience cooking pasta of all types:

1. It doesn't take that long to cook pasta, especially if you have pots of water on the boil all the time (like I would expect a place like the Olive Garden to do).

2. It's the Olive Garden. They are supposed to "specialize" in pasta. WTF? Unbelievable.

Reason #242583 to avoid chain restaurants, I suppose. Sorry to hear that you had a bad night out, though.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:19 AM   #55
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
Whats reason #181457?

Wing nuts.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:34 AM   #56
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm sorry, but that boggles the mind. As someone who has a lot of experience cooking pasta of all types:

1. It doesn't take that long to cook pasta, especially if you have pots of water on the boil all the time (like I would expect a place like the Olive Garden to do).

2. It's the Olive Garden. They are supposed to "specialize" in pasta. WTF? Unbelievable.

Chain restaurants don't specialize in anything. They make food that will be acceptable to most people and then optimize their operations for use in all of the individual restaurants. This way, when you go to an Olive Garden (for example) in Kentucky, you know the food will be exactly the same as it was in Utah. You know exactly what you are getting because it is done the same way everywhere.

If you go to a mom and pop restaurant, they only have to worry about making food that is acceptable in a small region. Because of this, the can adjust for regional and individual tastes.

If you want acceptable food with no surprises, go to a chain. If you are willing to go for the surprise, which may be very good or very bad, go to a mom and pop restaurant.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:34 AM   #57
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Wing nuts.

Don't get too bent out of shape about that... after all, they only exceeded the generally acceptable standard wing nut limit by one. When you put it that way, it doesn't sound all that bad.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-26-2005 at 08:35 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:38 AM   #58
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Don't get too bent out of shape about that... after all, they only exceeded the generally acceptable standard wing nut limit by one. When you put it that way, it doesn't sound all that bad.

True. I'm just trying to be comprehensive.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:24 AM   #59
Loren
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
If I am forced to go to the Olive Garden (entertained by a contractor or outvoted in a group) I only order salad and breadsticks. Keep this in mind next time.

Ive gone ONCE recently during a work related lunch and it was horrible...the service at the local one was beyond poor, the pastas looked crappy so i ordered a plain salad.. which was loaded down with vinegar dressing, they said they didnt have PLAIN salads, and they couldnt comprehend my asking them if they could make me one minus the vinegar
Old 05-26-2005, 09:49 AM   #60
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren
i ordered a plain salad.. which was loaded down with vinegar dressing, they said they didnt have PLAIN salads, and they couldnt comprehend my asking them if they could make me one minus the vinegar

That makes no sense whatsoever. Either the server or the salad maker puts the dressing on the salad. It's easy as hell to make a salad with no dressing.

Oh, and the reason that the salad was loaded with dressing is because everyone LOVES our salad dressing. That's the main reason they come there, or so I always hear. And if you don't put enough on, guests will tear your eyes out to get some more...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:58 AM   #61
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Oh, and the reason that the salad was loaded with dressing is because everyone LOVES our salad dressing. That's the main reason they come there, or so I always hear. And if you don't put enough on, guests will tear your eyes out to get some more...
Just a thought, instead of dumping an entire bottle on the salad, wouldn't it be better just to put a normal amount on, and put the salad dressing on the table as well, so that if people want more they can put it on themselves rather than everyone getting a salad drowned in dressing.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:10 AM   #62
JeeberD
General Manager

I have many time had guests ask me for more salad dressing. I have NEVER had a guest say that there was too much dressing on the salad and they would like one with less. *shrug*

The amount of dressing that is put on each salad is portioned out according to how large the salad is. One ladle of dressing is used per person that the salad is portioned for. However, I usually put a little bit extra (an extra half to full ladle)on there because when I put the "proper" amount on I'm asked for more dressing more often than not.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:10 AM   #63
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting on the salad dressing. I do confess, it's good, though it's always too much for my liking. But then, I'm a weenie when it comes to dressing. Even at home, I put enough on just to taste, not to drown.

Oddly enough I was at an OG here in Columbia (Ellicott City maybe?) on Monday night with my family. I've never had any problems with the food at this particular one. Sure, it might not be quite as good as Carrabas, but it's not bad at all. Anyway, I had the stuffed chicken marsala. It was quite tasty, and I highly recommend it.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:19 AM   #64
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Good Old Columbia, MD where I grew up.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:25 AM   #65
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
I have many time had guests ask me for more salad dressing. I have NEVER had a guest say that there was too much dressing on the salad and they would like one with less. *shrug*

The amount of dressing that is put on each salad is portioned out according to how large the salad is. One ladle of dressing is used per person that the salad is portioned for. However, I usually put a little bit extra (an extra half to full ladle)on there because when I put the "proper" amount on I'm asked for more dressing more often than not.

But the pusher don't care
If you live or if you die
God damn, the pusher
God damn, I say the pusher
I said God damn, God damn the pusher man
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:33 AM   #66
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
But then, I'm a weenie when it comes to dressing.

Then just stopping dressing.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:35 AM   #67
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Anna Ayala's problem was that she went too far. A human finger? Of course that's going to grab a lot of attention.

The wing nut trick works perfectly every time. Especially if you've got a reasonably conscientious server and you keep it cool. Let them offer the free dinner, never make demands, never cause a scene.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:51 AM   #68
bbor
Pro Starter

I heart OG

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:56 AM   #69
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
I heart OG
In Vegas that has a different meaning entirely.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:07 AM   #70
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
Chain restaurants don't specialize in anything. They make food that will be acceptable to most people and then optimize their operations for use in all of the individual restaurants. This way, when you go to an Olive Garden (for example) in Kentucky, you know the food will be exactly the same as it was in Utah. You know exactly what you are getting because it is done the same way everywhere.

If you go to a mom and pop restaurant, they only have to worry about making food that is acceptable in a small region. Because of this, the can adjust for regional and individual tastes.

If you want acceptable food with no surprises, go to a chain. If you are willing to go for the surprise, which may be very good or very bad, go to a mom and pop restaurant.

If you are willing to have a good meal, go to a good restaurant.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #71
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
If you are willing to have a good meal, go to a good restaurant.

That is pretty much what I said. I've had some of the best meals and some of the worst meals at the local restaurants. Over time you learn which places to avoid and which meals to avoid, but there is some training time necessary. I have never had anything other than a very average meal at the chain restaurants.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #72
Desnudo
Coordinator

I read what you were saying as either eat at a hole in the wall, which may or may not be good or a chain restaurant, when most restaurants fall somewhere in-between. And you usually have a good idea of the quality of food ahead of time. I agree that a little experimentation is required, but that's what makes going to restaurants enjoyable in the first place. At least for me.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:24 AM   #73
Tara
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Hey, no input from the Italians on the board? I guess Tara and Emiliano only look at the Hi!!!! thread.

Well, now I'm at home and can write something about pasta....someone here ask for my opinion....

I don't have experience about chain pasta or italian restaurants. There aren't such places in Italy. As you can easly image a great chain distribution here is basically mindless, if you want low price pasta the only thing you have to do is to buy the main ingredients and make it on your own. And in the end good level restaurants are not so expensive (20-25$).

The main problem with pasta 'al dente' is not the cooking time, that's anyway must never exceed 6 minutes for 'spaghetti' or 11-12 minutes for other type of
dry pastas, but how much water you use.
For cooking pasta 'al dente', you need at least of 6 liter of boiling water for 2-3 hg (2 person portion) of raw pasta. That's mean a lot of time to wait before that amount of water start boiling ( more than 15 minutes). Now think about chain restaurant who deal with a lot of clients, who generally wants a fast meal...

BTW I bet that most of Italian-American restaurants do as most of people do outside Italy (that's what i've seen around europe), put pasta and water toghether and let this 'thing' boil...After that, you obviously eat glue!!!!

Moreover restaurants outside italy rarely use the right kind of pasta, and ingredients......so Real Italian restaurant => real italian pasta => too much money....at least outside my country.

If you need to ask something about pasta I'm here...

Last edited by Tara : 05-26-2005 at 11:25 AM.
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:29 AM   #74
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Anna Ayala's problem was that she went too far. A human finger? Of course that's going to grab a lot of attention.

The wing nut trick works perfectly every time. Especially if you've got a reasonably conscientious server and you keep it cool. Let them offer the free dinner, never make demands, never cause a scene.

I'd avoid fecal matter too. It's a bit over the top.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #75
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
Fecal matter is never a bit over the top, unless you speak of "Upper deckers".

"Excuse me waiter. Those aren't breadsticks."
Old 05-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #76
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I'd avoid fecal matter too. It's a bit over the top.
Fecal matter is never a bit over the top, unless you speak of "Upper deckers".
Old 05-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #77
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
If you're lucky enough to have a Maggiano's around you, I'd seriously recommend going there. Outside of a "Mom and Pop" type place, this is the best chain restaurant out there (all food genres).

yup. Reasonably priced (25-30 bucks for 1 person), and good food.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:48 AM   #78
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

You should tell her the wingnut is a prize or just tell her to eat around it.

I hate chain restaurants because whenever i go they are very busy and I have to wait around. I hate that. It makes me feel like a pig waiting to feed at the trough. I have never had a problem with Olive Garden's food compare to other chain restaurants and I like it and would choose is as often as any other chain restaurant.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:26 PM   #79
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Having spent tons of time traveling, I have to agree that the best places to eat are the little hole in the wall restaurants. Some times you will get burned, but by and large they are better than the chain restaurants.

That said, most of the time when I was traveling I would just go to a chain because I did not want to spend all the time trying to find a good mom and pop place.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:28 PM   #80
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
If the pasta is truly fresh (ie, prepared from scratch that day) it makes sense. Five seconds is an exageration, but fresh pasta doesn't take long to cook at all.

Remember this was angle hair pasta which is really thin and fine. Thicker pastas would require much longer to boil but truthfully, I have never been in the back to see a pasta making machine.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:33 PM   #81
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
Having spent tons of time traveling, I have to agree that the best places to eat are the little hole in the wall restaurants. Some times you will get burned, but by and large they are better than the chain restaurants.

That said, most of the time when I was traveling I would just go to a chain because I did not want to spend all the time trying to find a good mom and pop place.

In all of my travels, I have eagerly searched out local diners and restaurants, esp. those specializing in local/regional cuisines. That's probably why my wife and I love to watch many of the shows in Food Network, which do highlight such eateries. But as you said, sometimes convenience forces one into the chains (which Macaroni Grill is one). The places in my travels I have found for finding local foods are the market cafes in rural New England, the hole-in-the-walls of Northern New Mexico and the harborside seafood diners along the West Coast.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:35 PM   #82
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara

I don't have experience about chain pasta or italian restaurants. There aren't such places in Italy.

Wouldn't all restaurants in Italy be Italian restaurants by default?

I'm just being a smart ass Tara.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:56 PM   #83
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter
I'm just being a smart ass Tara.

Is Tara a smart ass?
Old 05-26-2005, 08:07 PM   #84
QuikSand
lolzcat

This is treading into territory that may not translate too well.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:50 PM   #85
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I read what you were saying as either eat at a hole in the wall, which may or may not be good or a chain restaurant, when most restaurants fall somewhere in-between. And you usually have a good idea of the quality of food ahead of time. I agree that a little experimentation is required, but that's what makes going to restaurants enjoyable in the first place. At least for me.

This I agree with totally. I completly enjoy going to a restaurant and ordering something I've never had before. It if is a nice enough restaurant, I might request that the chef make the choice. Sometimes you even end up with meals that aren't on the menu, but it will usually be their speciality. Experimenting with food is a great joy of mine, but lots of people like the old familiar...which is what chains are good at.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:19 PM   #86
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara
BTW I bet that most of Italian-American restaurants do as most of people do outside Italy (that's what i've seen around europe), put pasta and water toghether and let this 'thing' boil...After that, you obviously eat glue!!!!

I think this is going a bit far, I'd say most (not all, there are the culinarily challenged out there) people cooking at home know to boil the water by itself first, let alone most restaurants. Heck, this cooking technique isn't limited to Italian, all you have to do is read a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese!

Last edited by cuervo72 : 05-26-2005 at 10:21 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:25 PM   #87
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Experimenting with food is a great joy of mine, but lots of people like the old familiar...which is what chains are good at.

I think this is the thing. I order one of about two or three things every time I go to Olive Garden and the same with a place like Red Lobster. These are two of my favorite places, but I've never been an adventurous person when it comes to eating. To be honest, I'm a little suprised so many people have a bad opinion of Olive Garden. Most of the people I know really like it.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 05-26-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:44 PM   #88
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
Do you also order your Whopper medium rare?
Excellent question.

The description of how you some of you folks enjoys your pasta baffles me. I cook pasta within an inch of its life. Even when I make fresh pasta in my pasta maker I cook it for at least 5 to 10 minutes in boiling water.

On the grand scale of restaurants, it's hyperbole to say Olive Garden is the worst restaurant in any genre. It's not even the worst Italian restuarant chain -- obviously some of you folks have never been to a Fazoli's.

As for world's worst restaurant, the search begins and ends at Cracker Barrel.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:58 PM   #89
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Experimenting with food is a great joy of mine, but lots of people like the old familiar.

You and this guy both.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:11 PM   #90
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19

You, sir, have NO taste.

Mmm... Cracker Barrel pot pie.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:56 PM   #91
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Well, there is an Olive Garden restaurant in Italy...
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 01:54 AM   #92
Tara
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
I think this is going a bit far, I'd say most (not all, there are the culinarily challenged out there) people cooking at home know to boil the water by itself first, let alone most restaurants. Heck, this cooking technique isn't limited to Italian, all you have to do is read a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese!

I know that man! I was talking about what I've seen around europe. I've been hosted by a lot of family in England and Denmark and is what I've seen.
I've no intention of making a general statement. I thought it was clear....
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:01 AM   #93
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Excellent question.

The description of how you some of you folks enjoys your pasta baffles me. I cook pasta within an inch of its life. Even when I make fresh pasta in my pasta maker I cook it for at least 5 to 10 minutes in boiling water.

On the grand scale of restaurants, it's hyperbole to say Olive Garden is the worst restaurant in any genre. It's not even the worst Italian restuarant chain -- obviously some of you folks have never been to a Fazoli's.

Man, that's not an excellent question. And you cook pasta wrong.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:39 AM   #94
Loren
High School JV

Quote:
That makes no sense whatsoever. Either the server or the salad maker puts the dressing on the salad. It's easy as hell to make a salad with no dressing.

wow, that many ppl like that dressing? i dunno, id ordered just the salad, so i was given a plate and told to get it from the big bowls of salad they brought to the table for everyone else who WAS having a main meal and just getting salad with their meals.. and the salad in those bowls were pretty drenched in the dressing, i had the vinegar taste in my mouth for quite a while, and thats cuz after i was told i couldnt get it without, i had them bring me ranch dressing so i could try to cover up the vineger
and am i the only one who found themselves reading Tara's post with an italian accent? (im not being mean Tara)
Old 05-27-2005, 02:49 AM   #95
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Egads. I don't eat out much, and I had never been to the Olive Garden before today.

I like my pasta 'al dente.' This afternoon at lunch I asked for my pasta dish 'al dente.' It was served to me soggy - so soggy I considered it inedible. I politely asked for another dish, cooked the way I wanted it. The manager came over and said it was impossible to cook the pasta al dente, as it's all cooked ahead of time. Ok, I guess I understand that.

In that case, how hard is it to boil a few quarts of water RIGHT NOW to make my pasta edible??? It takes, what, 5 minutes at most?

Ok, rant over.
Should have went to Hooters.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:49 AM   #96
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Man, that's not an excellent question.

I disagree.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 05:10 AM   #97
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
I disagree.

I disagree with your disagreement.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:53 AM   #98
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I disagree with your disagreement.
I agree with your disagreement with his disagreement.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:02 AM   #99
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Just a few more disagreements and we will need a diagram.

I disagree with your agreement of his disagreement of his disagreement

Last edited by gottimd : 05-27-2005 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:05 AM   #100
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Well, gottimd, I disagree with your disagreement of my agreement of his disagreement of his disagreement. Take that.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote