Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2005, 02:16 AM   #51
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
Marc, is Winning Eleven sold under another name? I've heard so much about it and would like to see it but I've never come across it in the shops here. Konami doesn't seem to figure very large here (googling Winning 11 says they're the publishers) so I wonder if it's published as something else or perhaps by another publisher.

It's also been known as Pro Evolution Soccer.

TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:33 AM   #52
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
It's also been known as Pro Evolution Soccer.

Thanks TazFTW, I'll scan the shelves for that.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:44 AM   #53
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
Thanks TazFTW, I'll scan the shelves for that.

FYI - I believe Pro Evolution Soccer 4 is the equivalent to WE 8 (i.e. the most recent version).
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:49 AM   #54
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Does Winning 11 have a franchise mode?

Dola,

As Marc said, it does have a pseudo-franchise mode which is light, but suprisingly fun.

You take over a team in a lower division and as you win you earn points ($). You can keep playing year after year as long as you earn enough $ to pay your team's salary. As you gain more money you can go after better players ... but make sure you don't overspend b/c if you don't earn enough money in a season (i.e.. win enough) you'll go broke and your franchise career is over. There's basic contract negotiations (length/salary), and a simple player progression model.

There's promotions to the top league, and some cups (pseudo champions league). You can't entirely replicate a real like league like the Premiership, but you can come close with some downloadable files (if you have AR or something equivalent). It's definitely NOT FM, but it's alot of fun as a console game.

Last edited by moriarty : 07-13-2005 at 07:49 AM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:49 AM   #55
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Winning Eleven doesn't usually get released here, but they sell better in Japan than Madden does here (percentage, not total units). They just started releasing them here a year or two ago, but the PC versions are basically ports of the PS2 version (I remember reading a review for one of them and they were talking about how the PC menu asks you to press the square, triangle, circle, or x buttons for some stuff).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:11 PM   #56
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageofquarrel
ninja gaiden
My friend got me Ninja Gaiden Black for Christmas (he came by today.) I don't usually like fighting games, but I've been playing quite a lot today. Some of the fights are really difficult (the first boss took me 5 times to beat, and even then I only beat him by a lot of hitting and running) but the game looks great and really controls well. I know Pumpy didn't like it, but I think I'm going to enjoy this and will likely add this to the list of recommended games.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:49 PM   #57
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
My friend got me Ninja Gaiden Black for Christmas (he came by today.) I don't usually like fighting games, but I've been playing quite a lot today. Some of the fights are really difficult (the first boss took me 5 times to beat, and even then I only beat him by a lot of hitting and running) but the game looks great and really controls well. I know Pumpy didn't like it, but I think I'm going to enjoy this and will likely add this to the list of recommended games.

Wow, you remembered that I didn't like Ninja Gaiden. Yeah, it just really wasn't my thing. I loved what they tried to do (the different ways to jump around and stuff), but I just hated the execution. I realize that I'm in the minority about that game, though, so it's no biggie. Glad you're enjoying the newer one (Ninja Gaiden Black).
Old 12-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #58
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Can believe I haven't pimped 'Destroy all Humans' in this thread yet .... great game, one of the very few action games I've completed in recent years ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #59
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Can believe I haven't pimped 'Destroy all Humans' in this thread yet .... great game, one of the very few action games I've completed in recent years ...

I am definitely going to give that game a try.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:08 PM   #60
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Wow, you remembered that I didn't like Ninja Gaiden. Yeah, it just really wasn't my thing. I loved what they tried to do (the different ways to jump around and stuff), but I just hated the execution. I realize that I'm in the minority about that game, though, so it's no biggie. Glad you're enjoying the newer one (Ninja Gaiden Black).
I have to confess that my memory isn't that good - I did a search on Ninja Gaiden, and your comments about it as an overrated game were the first thing that popped up.

I decided this thread would be more appropriate to support it. By the way did you play only the original? I understand that they really improved the camera angles in Ninja Gaiden Black along with a few other things that were complained about in the original. I'm actually impressed with how easy it is to do a lot of the jumps with relatively little practice.

My friend has been pushing me to get this game for 2 or 3 months. I'm glad he finally took matters into his own hands and bought it for me as a gift. Mrs. Eaglesfan was out of town today and tomorrow and I ended up playing it today for a lot of hours. The first boss was just so cool, although I was hoping I would get his weapon when I beat him.. Hopefully, I'll get it at some point if he trains me
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 08:09 PM   #61
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Santa brought Radii and Anthony FIFA Soccer '06 for Christmas, and they both are giving it very high reviews Supposedly it's one of the better soccer games for xbox...I don't know, we saw a commercial and radii commented that it would be fun to play with Anthony (who loves soccer), so Santa bought it for them
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 08:16 PM   #62
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
By the way did you play only the original? I understand that they really improved the camera angles in Ninja Gaiden Black along with a few other things that were complained about in the original. I'm actually impressed with how easy it is to do a lot of the jumps with relatively little practice.

Yeah, I only played the original. After being unhappy with that one, I had no desire to play the newer version. I may try it sometime. I have this GameFly subscription that I've been paying for for a year without getting any new games, so I might as well take advantage of it and get some games circulating through here.