Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2005, 09:52 PM   #51
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
when you guys are in a group going to dinner, how do you split the bill?

you put in what you order or split it up evenly among everyone + plus tip?

when i go out with friends, we split the bill evenly among all of us.

It's all about separate checks. Its rare that a waiter/waitress gives us a look when requesting separate checks.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:55 PM   #52
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

damn you fuckers are cheap. i usually take 20% of the bill and round up or down depending on the service. I refuse to leave fucking change on the table as tip, just round the nearest dollar (up or down) and be done with it.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:06 PM   #53
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
Ok, so we have a few people in the industry around here. Anyone want to admit to serving a sneeze-burger to a particularly bad customer?

I've definately made a bad customer some "extra spicy" food before, if they are a known "asshole" when they come in. That just consists of throwing in a shake or two of the midlevel habenero sauces(stuff maybe 1/2 as hot as Dave's Insanity). into something like Chicken Wings that are already spicy. But i wouldnt do anything like sneezing on someones burger, or spitting on their food, that's just uncool.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:08 PM   #54
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I think I'm in the "bad tipper" category. I sell sneakers and never get any tips (nor do I make commission), yet bust my ass to give the best possible service to all of my customers. Waiters have it easy.

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 09-17-2005 at 10:09 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:54 PM   #55
Raiders Army
Coordinator

*This is not meant to start an argument*

For all of you who tip big at the restaurants...

Do you also tip well for other things? The bellboy carrying your bag to your room? The taxicab driver? Your barber? If so, why? If not, why not?

I used to tip my barber over 50%. For an $8 haircut, I'd give him a $5 tip. Why? Because he held a straight razor to my head and neck and did a damn good job. Other than that, I don't find myself in situations where I tip a lot.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:57 PM   #56
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Dola, also I consider a $13 haircut not a bad deal. Meals, however, are pretty expensive anyhow, so a % based tip is not as good of a deal.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:11 PM   #57
Logan
Head Coach

I give my barber a $5 tip on a $10 haircut for a few reasons: 1. He's good. 2. He's a year older than me and is doing this full-time to support himself. 3. He squeezes me in if I don't have an appointment. 4. He's good.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:08 AM   #58
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

I was in Atlanta 2 years ago for Speech Nationals. We had just finished the awards ceremony, it was nearly 11:00 at night, and we wanted to find somewhere for the Arizona delegation to eat together. We found a little 24 hour diner attached to one of our hotels. Granted, we were a group of about 20 people, but we were willing to take over their outside patio, we had no expectation of all sitting at the same table, we wanted to sit and talk, and the place was pretty dead anyway. Service was miserable. One school had to wait 90 minutes for menus; 75% of our group never got drinks; meals were incorrectly prepared. Our server came out to see us twice, and both times just turned around and walked away. We have pictures of coaches drinking out of the water pitcher because they never received glasses. Then, at the end, the waitress brought out the check for Red Mountain High School. She had added a 25% tip onto the bill, and then she told the head coach that she could "leave the additional tip on the table."
Tracy asked her, "What additional tip?"
"The other money that you want to leave me."
"What do you mean? Service was horrible. In fact, I want to see your manager. This 25% is way too much, in my opinion."
The waitress put her hands on her hips and said, "You get charged on the bill, AND you leave me an additional tip. That's how we do things in Atlanta." Then she turned around and left. The manager was nowhere to be found.
Nobody left an additional tip that night...

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com

Last edited by AZSpeechCoach : 09-18-2005 at 12:10 AM.
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:10 AM   #59
Anthony
Banned

barber is the only thing i don't tip based on percentage. my "haircut" (quotes because i shave my head with a buzzer nowadays, that takes as much skill as Izulde in a room full of hot chicks) costs as little as $11 in one place or $13 if i get it done near my job. when i get my hair done for $13 i pay $1 tip, when i get my hair buzzed for $11 i pay $2 tip. there isn't a lot of skill needed to shave someone's head, and technically i should just purchase my own buzzers and do it myself. before when id get an actual haircut i'd still only tip $2.

at really nice restaurants i tip rather well (over 20%) based on percentage, at regular ole eateries i tip the normal 20%.

Last edited by Anthony : 09-18-2005 at 12:12 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:20 AM   #60
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSpeechCoach
I was in Atlanta 2 years ago for Speech Nationals. We had just finished the awards ceremony, it was nearly 11:00 at night, and we wanted to find somewhere for the Arizona delegation to eat together. We found a little 24 hour diner attached to one of our hotels. Granted, we were a group of about 20 people, but we were willing to take over their outside patio, we had no expectation of all sitting at the same table, we wanted to sit and talk, and the place was pretty dead anyway. Service was miserable. One school had to wait 90 minutes for menus; 75% of our group never got drinks; meals were incorrectly prepared. Our server came out to see us twice, and both times just turned around and walked away. We have pictures of coaches drinking out of the water pitcher because they never received glasses. Then, at the end, the waitress brought out the check for Red Mountain High School. She had added a 25% tip onto the bill, and then she told the head coach that she could "leave the additional tip on the table."
"What do you mean? Service was horrible. In fact, I want to see your manager. This 25% is way too much, in my opinion."
The waitress put her hands on her hips and said, "You get charged on the bill, AND you leave me an additional tip. That's how we do things in Atlanta." Then she turned around and left. The manager was nowhere to be found.

if i was the head coach i would have subtracted the additional 25% off the bill and left that amount along with a phone # to my cell phone with instructions that the manager could call me if he wanted to discuss why i did that.

and yeah that might open you up to the cops paying you a visit, but really what's the worst they're going to do over that...make him pay the restraunt that amount? he still lets the waitresses boss know how horrible she was...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:31 AM   #61
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

World's Biggest Tipper

I tip huge. Sometimes 40%. Especially at places I frequent. Its amazing the level of service I get when I come back -- they really do remember.
Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:46 AM   #62
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

VINCE- Are you at the Valley Fair location?

I'm going to come to your section without you knowing and totally stiff you on the tip
Old 09-18-2005, 12:54 AM   #63
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I once left nothing for a waitress. It was after I'd basically gotten into a shouting match with the owner/chef over initially the fact that I didn't show them my "entertainment card" before I was seated. I gave it to the Waitress sometime early during the meal. She said they wouldn't honor it, and pointed to a little sign on the register saying that the Entertainment cards had to be presented before seating. I asked to talk to the manager, and he wouldn't budge. It went down hill pretty quickly...something on the order of....

"You have to tell us about the discount before we seat you."
"What so the service could have been any poorer? Do you realize how long we waited for our meals?....If I had told you our meal was discounted it would have tasted even shitier that it did?"

That last bit was pretty loud, and in full view of a number of people waiting for their food. So I took my discount out of the Waitress's tip, apologized to her and left. Never been back.

Note: I typically double the tax for my tips. oftentimes more, rarely less...I have no aversion to leaving change including pennies on the table as a tip. Of course I don't pull it out of my pocket to do so, but if there is 17 cents in change returned to me...that server is getting that change back as a tip. Oh and I almost always tip in cash...not on the Credit Card.

My aunt had the a great "tip" story. She and a friend had exceptionally poor service, and with exceptionally poor attitude when they complained. She paid the bill and when the change was returned she collected all the bills and left the change. The waiter followed them outside the restaurant, and asked if they had forgotten anything.... My aunt said "Why yes, I believe I left some change on the table." She went back collected it, and left. Later she said she actually wished she had asked him to bring it to her.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:19 AM   #64
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

If you're serious, then you're a fucking asshole.

Waiters only make something like $2.50 an hour or something to that effect.

They don't even make minimum wage because they're expected to get tips. But yeah, go ahead and be a dick like that. Cheap bastard.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:34 AM   #65
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde

They don't even make minimum wage because they're expected to get tips. But yeah, go ahead and be a dick like that. Cheap bastard.

Exactly. One of my best friend's was a waiter, and as a result I always tip fairly well. I tip 15% for below average service, 20% for average to good service, and 25% for excellent service.

Rarely, I'll only tip 10% if service is very bad.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-18-2005 at 01:34 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:43 AM   #66
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Someone needs to rent Reservoir Dogs.

Quote:
Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make shit.
Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.
Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a fucking Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?
Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.
Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?
Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 02:36 AM   #67
WrongWay
Banned

What I hate is being told what I tip. The tip is already on my bill, for a party of 2-4 this is unacceptable. And, it is genreally your middle of the road places, Chillies, the olive Garden, Applebys, TGIFs, you know your chains, that always try and stick me with this. Your low rent Diners and high Scale Restaurants never put a tip on your bill. Why?

I can't believe no one has pointer this out yet; At your Very Expensive places there is a good chance that the Employees are Paying to work there. The Chefs will be on commision, but your servers may actually be "Paying" the Management to work there.

Finally, Don't be afraid to be Rude. You know the old saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". Remember you the customer are totally in controll untill you pay. If something is not acceptable, you can always just leave. This is the one thing I have learned from always being on the road. Never rasie your voice, never argue, just calmly state exactly what you want and add that you are leaving immediatley if you don't get it.

If they want their 18% madatory tip, eventhough the service was terrible, than can haul me into court to get it. In other words, "You will either remove it from my bill or I am leaving". Sometimes you have to be rude and explain to them that you, The Customer, are holding all the cards. Remember, like the spoiled brat with the football, if I don't like it, I can always just take my money and go home.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 02:38 AM   #68
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Someone needs to rent Reservoir Dogs.

Pwned, I am.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 03:13 AM   #69
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I just don't eat out any more. Service has become so bad, on average, that it's better just to get takeout. Less time wasted, less aggravation.

And, believe it or not, there are some places that have become so bad that it's pointless even to get takeout any more. Our local Chili's is run by donkeys. The food is fine, for what it is, but the entire wait staff is made up of surly teenagers who specialize in avoiding eye contact. The place was always packed when it first opened maybe two or three years ago. Now, it's half-full on a typical weekend night - and you still have to wait forever to pick up your phoned-in order.

I don't give a damn about the whole tipping argument. I know waiters depend on it, so I consider it part of the cost of the meal. On the very rare occasions we dine out, unless they drop soup on me or spit in my food, they're getting 15%, 20% if it's a particularly fancy place.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 04:10 AM   #70
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
VINCE- Are you at the Valley Fair location?

I'm going to come to your section without you knowing and totally stiff you on the tip

Roll by Oakridge -- the best I can do you is free (non-alcoholic) drinks, but I'll try to hook you up
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 04:16 AM   #71
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Finally, Don't be afraid to be Rude. You know the old saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". Remember you the customer are totally in controll untill you pay. If something is not acceptable, you can always just leave. This is the one thing I have learned from always being on the road. Never rasie your voice, never argue, just calmly state exactly what you want and add that you are leaving immediatley if you don't get it.

There's a difference between being rude and calmly stating what you want. I have the pleasure of working at CPK, a restaurant that is nearly 100% customer-centric, and I know that the instant anything is wrong, a manager is at the table asking if there is anything they can do (ie comp), fix or change to make their experience better.

I just have such a hard time understanding why people in the food service industry do not treat people with respect. Don't they realize that one bad review turns away more than 10 times the number of people that a good review adds people? I mean think about it -- if you have a terrible experience somewhere, you're bound to tell people about it, if only to warn them away from eating/patronizing the place. If someone makes the mistake of asking you about the place, you'll probably read them the riot act of how bad the place is. While all the company would have had to do is eat a maybe $15 charge to comp your entree, or a little more to comp the meal.

Maybe I've had the pleasure of working with well-trained, intelligent management teams, but each restaurant/food service company I've worked with (CPK, Woodstock's, Restaurant Connection and Max's Opera Cafe) has treated customers the same way.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:52 AM   #72
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Pwned, I am.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:20 AM   #73
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
This is unrelated, but I still think restaurants should put a camera in the light fixture above the table to watch over the table. That way staff can see when they need to clear plates or refill a drink without always hovering.

Like in The War with Mr. Wizzle!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:34 AM   #74
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Screw that. If you don't like it, get another job or do a better job.

Edit--Oh, and don't act like your values are "the standard" and you can look down on me you pompous asshole.

Nice. I didn't say my values are the standard, but everyone knows 15% is. You go below that on a regular basis because you are cheap. That is weak ass shit.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:38 AM   #75
Jets80
High School Varsity

I tip good if the person actualy performs some sort of service other then bringing something from point A to point B.

So as for tips at a restaurant, i'm a 15% tipper. If the servcice is real bad I might put out my normal 15% and then Gerorge Costanza a buck or two off the table.

Pizza guys - I always give a buck. no matter how big the order, how fast, how slow. Pappas Johns charges a 1.50 delivery charge. I would have given that 1.50 to the driver but since the company takes it from me thats less for the driver.

My barber - charges me 11 bucks. I always give him 15 or 16 bucks and throw him a 20 spot around the holidays.

The guy who washs my car : no not the kids at the local car wash who pretend to towel dry it when it comes out of the machine, I mean the guy who comes to my work and spends an hour and a half of hard work washing/waxing my car. He charges me 40 and I give him 50.

When I lived in New Jersey, I would have to tip the garbage man if you wanted to throw out a couch or bed or something. So I would throw them a twenty spot.

I tip bartenders good, becasue they perform an an important service.

I don't tip good at strip clubs - I hardly ever go there, but when I do I dont throw money around becasue I know they are just whores who are using me, so fuck them.

I also tip better to people who I see all the time or deal with on a regular basis. This way they know me and will take care of me. I tip less if its a stranger or a place that I probably will not return to again.
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:41 AM   #76
wade moore
lolzcat

My take on tipping is similar to some others in here..

I walk in the door planning on 20%... If I get normal, everyday service.. that's the tip they get...

If it is not-so-good, they get 15%...

If it is stellar it can be anywhere from 25%-50% depending on a combo of things (how good it is, how good the food was [note - quality of food should never make the tip go DOWN imo], what kind of mood i'm in, etc)...

If it is TERRIBLE... 0%... I see no sense in a 5-10% tip.. if it is THAT bad that you're going below 15%, why bother?

FWIW - I have only done 0% two or three times and I eat out a LOT...

I also have to echo the sentiments of others that cities make a huge difference... In the town I now live in, the people are always very nice and pleasent - I'm shocked when this isn't the case..

When I go visit family where I grew up (DC Area) it's terrible.. I'm lucky to get drinks filled, etc... a smiling face is like a miracle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:53 AM   #77
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
I would be for doing away with "tipping as salary" and just add 18% to the standard menu item. Then tipping can be a "thank you" instead of a "must do."

Who decided it was a "must do" anyway? I don't have an obligation to tip someone. I cannot remember the last time I did not do it, but I certainly don't feel obligated to give them something.

People hate my position on this...so I will share it anyway. My tips range anywhere from 4 cents to 35% of the bill, generally. The worst, which I have not had for years, earn the 4 penny tip. The absolute best cap out at about 35%, generally. If the bill is rather small, but the service was simply astounding (regardless of where we were), we might go out of the "percentage of bill" method.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:47 AM   #78
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
Nice. I didn't say my values are the standard, but everyone knows 15% is. You go below that on a regular basis because you are cheap. That is weak ass shit.
I don't think you want to judge my values, pot.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:52 AM   #79
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Dola, and if you don't get the "pot" reference, it is because your homosexual tendencies are just as indefensible as my cheap tipping.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:55 AM   #80
wade moore
lolzcat

Step Right Up...

I'm taking bids on time until this thread locks... Closest bid gets a prize!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:58 AM   #81
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Step Right Up...

I'm taking bids on time until this thread locks... Closest bid gets a prize!
I'm not being mean. I'm just stating a point. Both are lifestyle choices. I don't agree with his and he doesn't agree with mine...but he called mine indefensible. I disagree. I think it's as defensible a situation as homosexuality is. Both are choices.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:19 AM   #82
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not being mean. I'm just stating a point. Both are lifestyle choices. I don't agree with his and he doesn't agree with mine...but he called mine indefensible. I disagree. I think it's as defensible a situation as homosexuality is. Both are choices.
Thanks for reminding me why I don't much like visiting the forum anymore.

Last edited by sabotai : 09-18-2005 at 10:19 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:20 AM   #83
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets80
I don't tip good at strip clubs - I hardly ever go there, but when I do I dont throw money around becasue I know they are just whores who are using me, so fuck them.

Dude, they're just trying to make money to pay their tuition.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:23 AM   #84
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Thanks for reminding me why I don't much like visiting the forum anymore.
No problem.

Edit--And if you're offended by it, then oh well. I meant no malice. Just making a point about values.

Last edited by Raiders Army : 09-18-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:28 AM   #85
Joe
Pro Starter

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #86
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
What I hate is being told what I tip. The tip is already on my bill, for a party of 2-4 this is unacceptable. And, it is genreally your middle of the road places, Chillies, the olive Garden, Applebys, TGIFs, you know your chains, that always try and stick me with this. Your low rent Diners and high Scale Restaurants never put a tip on your bill. Why

where the hell did you come up with this crap?

Last edited by Lathum : 09-18-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:34 AM   #87
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't really have anything to add to this wonderfull thread that usually pops up about once every six months.

If you get shitty service you should expect a shitty tip. If you get good service and don't tip well then you are an ass and you shoudn't go out to eat. It is that simple.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:35 AM   #88
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola-

been a bartender for 10 years
Old 09-18-2005, 10:43 AM   #89
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Edit--And if you're offended by it, then oh well. I meant no malice. Just making a point about values.

Heh, no, pretty much nothing offends me. It's just that a perfectly good discussion on tipping had to take a dark turn, and now will probably turn into a flame war on if homosexuality is a choice or not. Simply because you decided to be a jackass, a condition that seems to be running rampant among too many members of this forum.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:48 AM   #90
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Heh, no, pretty much nothing offends me. It's just that a perfectly good discussion on tipping had to take a dark turn, and now will probably turn into a flame war on if homosexuality is a choice or not. Simply because you decided to be a jackass, a condition that seems to be running rampant among too many members of this forum.

I agree. It has nothing to do with being offensive. It has to do with ruining a discussion. I'm not sure I understand the relevance of bringing up homosexuality anyway. Life is full of thousands of choices. If he really wanted to bring up 'lifestyle choices', there were a lot of other things to choose from without trying to be controversial.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:02 AM   #91
SackAttack
Head Coach

I don't ever tip less than 15% unless there's a truly compelling reason, and I have only once ever refused to tip entirely.

You do not show up 5 hours late with cold pizza and an incomplete order, having not even done me the courtesy of calling to let me know that the driver blew out a tire and that it will be later than expected as a result.

No.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #92
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Not to bring this up further, but I don't think you read my posts closely enough...or perhaps I didn't write them well enough.

I did not want to turn it into a homosexuality flame war at all. I don't agree with his choices, but I can respect that. I don't see how he can't respect my choice to tip "poorly" () for service I deem less than acceptable. He said my position was indefensible. I took offense with that since that is my choice and my opinion. All I was saying was that my position is no less indefensible than his position on homosexuality.

I will not post any further since you think I'm a jackass about this.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #93
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
You do not show up 5 hours late with cold pizza and an incomplete order, having not even done me the courtesy of calling to let me know that the driver blew out a tire and that it will be later than expected as a result.

Even then, why is it a cold pizza? A business that gives a damn about its customers writes off the original items and remakes the order. If it is going to be 5 hours late, you show up with a fresh order, a bunch of extras, and a coupon book for 5 more free pizzas. Your experience indicates a business that decided they didn't need you as a customer. Too bad they didn't just tell you that from the start so you could've called someone else instead.

Last edited by Tekneek : 09-18-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #94
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Even then, why is it a cold pizza? A business that gives a damn about its customers writes off the original items and remakes the order.

That's what I would've thought, but apparently they only had the one other driver that night, and he had his own deliveries to make before the store closed, etc. No time to go back and have the orders that were beling delivered by the other driver remade, or so the story went.

Quote:
Your experience indicates a business that decided they didn't need you as a customer. Too bad they didn't just tell you that from the start so you could've called someone else instead.

That's what I told him. I haven't ordered from that place since, and it's been two and a half years.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #95
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do you also tip well for other things? The bellboy carrying your bag to your room? The taxicab driver? Your barber? If so, why? If not, why not?

Hadn't really thought about it that much but now that you bring it up, yeah I do.
The one that really jumped out was when you mentioned hair, because that's easily my biggest over-tip category by percentage. The "why" on that is really simple too -- having moved out here to Hooterville from Atlanta, I realize how much money I've saved in the difference in the price of a haircut over the past 10+ years. After routinely paying $40+, I get down here & it's like $7-$12 - basically I feel like they're underpricing their service, so I routinely tip them anywhere from 50% to $100%, which still leaves me saving money on the deal.

Same applies to the guy who does our yard & to the lady who helps keep our house clean, the percentage there isn't as high but there's a higher frequency there too, so the dollars work out pretty well for them.

About the only category where I'd say I don't overtip would be the various hotel staff (beyond the bellhops), I have notoriously poor "hotel luck" & usually find myself as the guy who is pissed off about something that was totally FUBAR, not the guy so happy he's tipping or overtipping.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #96
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
California Pizza Kitchen.

www.cpk.com

Gotcha. I think we have some of those around here but I've never made it to one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Jeeber put cum in my pasta before

But you told me you wanted the Specal Cream Sauce!

And no, I've never done anything dirty or bad to a rude guests food/drink. Trust me, I've been tempted, but I usually just kill them with kindness. Yeah, I'm a sucker...

Quote:

Split the bill so everyone gets their own check. But if you're going to do that be sure to let your server know when you first order. I know at some restaurants servers can split their own checks, but at the OG we have to find a manager or a trainer to do it for us. Stupid OG...

Quote:

Like I said in the other thread, only $2.13 here in Texas...

Quote:
What I hate is being told what I tip. The tip is already on my bill, for a party of 2-4 this is unacceptable. And, it is genreally your middle of the road places, Chillies, the olive Garden, Applebys, TGIFs, you know your chains, that always try and stick me with this. Your low rent Diners and high Scale Restaurants never put a tip on your bill. Why?

Huh? Do mean the gratuity added to large parties? Because that's pretty much standard in the business theses day...even in the smaller, non-chain restaurants.

Quote:

Walking out is bullshit. If you have a problem and the server isn't willing to fix it, get the manager. I don't know about other restaurant chains, but at the OG management is basically required to do something if a guest complains. They'll either take food off the bill, give the guest a gift card for their next visit, or a combination of both. If a guest calls in to corporate and says that a manager didn't help them, the manager is in DEEP shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongway
If they want their 18% madatory tip, eventhough the service was terrible, than can haul me into court to get it. In other words, "You will either remove it from my bill or I am leaving". Sometimes you have to be rude and explain to them that you, The Customer, are holding all the cards. Remember, like the spoiled brat with the football, if I don't like it, I can always just take my money and go home.

At the OG if a guest complains about the grat on their party because they felt service was sub-standard, the manager will take it off. You don't have to be an ass about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSpeechCoach

That's ridiculous, dude. I've never heard of a grat being that high before. 25%? Crazy...I would have been pissed as well. No excuse at all for service that bad. And then demanding money on top of the grat? Ugh...it's bitches like that who give servers a bad rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
I don't really have anything to add to this wonderfull thread that usually pops up about once every six months.

If you get shitty service you should expect a shitty tip. If you get good service and don't tip well then you are an ass and you shoudn't go out to eat. It is that simple.

Preach on, brother!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:44 AM   #97
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

AZSpeechCoach -- just a WAG here, you were somewhere in the heart of downtown ATL weren't you?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:49 AM   #98
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Like in The War with Mr. Wizzle!

of all the places to get a Gordon Korman reference, I never thought it would be here

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:58 AM   #99
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

you put in what you order or split it up evenly among everyone + plus tip?

when i go out with friends, we split the bill evenly among all of us.

usually individual bills, individual tips
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:12 PM   #100
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't think you want to judge my values, pot.

Dola, and if you don't get the "pot" reference, it is because your homosexual tendencies are just as indefensible as my cheap tipping.

That's nice. Really nice. I call your cheapness on tipping "indefensible" and you see that as an excuse to post bigotted crap. Because I have "homosexual tendencies," I shouldn't "want to judge [your] values." I guess I'm too gay to ever offer an opinion on "values." If you can't see the difference between being cheap and being gay, then you are a much bigger fool than I ever imagined.