Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2005, 08:27 PM   #51
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Having watched tonight's show, it is not the average even late in the game. I'm not sure how they are calculating the bank offers, but am still trying to figure it out. Meanwhile, Mrs. Eaglesfan has decided the show isn't that bad and seemed to enjoy it tonight.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:35 PM   #52
Joe
Pro Starter

they just make up numbers
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:36 PM   #53
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
I just wish there was a way to get more than one contestant per 1 hour show.
The Australian version runs 30 minutes. That seems a little quick. The French version I saw ran for about 40-45 minutes. An hour must really drag on.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:29 AM   #54
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I remember when the Regis Philbin "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" did the same thing. I liked that show for a couple of weeks, and then it was just too often and too slow. I'd like "Deal or No Deal" more if it was just half an hour, even if it was daily. At least then it would move a little faster. I'll enjoy it for now, and maybe I won't get sick and tired of it like I did with "Millionaire" years ago.

Apparently it is on the UK as well, but not seen our version. The Aussie version was half an hour, and I can imagine that if it was longer than this it would be terminally slooooooow.

Edit: OK - what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by AlexB : 12-22-2005 at 03:31 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:19 AM   #55
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z²+
I'm liking the show, but the host's terrible voice overs at random times is making it almost seem like an old Ron Popeil infomercial.
"Makes a great wedding gift too!"

I noticed this too. Mandel must really, really suck if they have to edit the thing that much.

At least they threw us a bone with some hot chicks opening the briefcases. More briefcase opening...less Mandel and you have a deal.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:23 AM   #56
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I noticed this too. Mandel must really, really suck if they have to edit the thing that much.

At least they threw us a bone with some hot chicks opening the briefcases. More briefcase opening...less Mandel and you have a deal.
If they had real money in the briefcases that would be absolutely perfect. Hot chicks opening up suitcases of money. mmmmmmmgood.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:26 AM   #57
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
they just make up numbers

I think so.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:27 AM   #58
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

The Aussie version moved from a one hour weekend spot to a half hour 5-day-a-week-day spot which would indicate the hour long program didn't have a lot of appeal. I've also noticed that the bank offer has reduced as a percentage of the average presumably reflecting the lower advertising income and program time.

It now comes on immediately before the 6pm news and I usually catch the last ten minutes or so as I wait for the news. It's reasonably entertaining like that.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 12-22-2005 at 08:29 AM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:19 AM   #59
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Having watched tonight's show, it is not the average even late in the game. I'm not sure how they are calculating the bank offers, but am still trying to figure it out. Meanwhile, Mrs. Eaglesfan has decided the show isn't that bad and seemed to enjoy it tonight.

Seemed like as it got later and later, the offers were more predictable... as in, with $200k left and 4 cases left, the offer was $50k (1/4 of $50k). With 3 cases left, the offer was $67k (1/3 of $200k). And with 2 cases left, the offer was $99k (1/2 of $200k). I was figuring as they get later and later, the offers would be a lot more predictable like that. Early on, I think they just randomize around a certain set of numbers (between $10k and $30k), depending on how many big money cases have been opened.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:47 PM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
The Aussie version moved from a one hour weekend spot to a half hour 5-day-a-week-day spot which would indicate the hour long program didn't have a lot of appeal. I've also noticed that the bank offer has reduced as a percentage of the average presumably reflecting the lower advertising income and program time.

It now comes on immediately before the 6pm news and I usually catch the last ten minutes or so as I wait for the news. It's reasonably entertaining like that.

Just FWIW, that's sort of the pattern that Millionaire followed here in the States. Although (I think) there's still some primetime airings on occasion, the franchise is now primarily a Mon-Fri half-hour syndicated series.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:54 PM   #61
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Seemed like as it got later and later, the offers were more predictable... as in, with $200k left and 4 cases left, the offer was $50k (1/4 of $50k). With 3 cases left, the offer was $67k (1/3 of $200k). And with 2 cases left, the offer was $99k (1/2 of $200k). I was figuring as they get later and later, the offers would be a lot more predictable like that. Early on, I think they just randomize around a certain set of numbers (between $10k and $30k), depending on how many big money cases have been opened.

They appear to be just under the EV for your case. The exception was the $67K offer, which is just more than the $200K/3--maybe from a straight EV perspective, it's still slightly under, because I think one of the other cases was $5,000, but I don't remember for sure--but for all intents and purposes, those other two cases were zero. It seems he should have taken the $67K deal. Of course, it worked out for him and he got an extra $32K by opening one more case.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:26 PM   #62
Joe
Pro Starter

the ugly chicks always have low numbers in their cases
Old 12-22-2005, 08:00 PM   #63
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Any word on how this baby's doing in the ratings?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:04 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://medialifemagazine.com/artman/...ticle_1999.asp

Dec 21, 2005

NBC definitely has a hit with the new game show “Deal or No Deal.” The next question is, just how big a hit can it become?

In its second episode, the Howie Mandel-hosted “Deal” averaged a 4.6 overnight rating among viewers 18-49 in its 8 p.m. timeslot last night, a 24 percent increase over the 3.7 NBC has averaged in that timeslot this season. “Deal” was up 18 percent over a 3.9 for Monday’s debut.

It was NBC’s second-highest-rated outing of the season in the timeslot, behind only last month’s “Biggest Loser” finale. As it did in its first outing, “Deal” grew throughout the hour, up 19 percent from its first half hour to its second.

“Deal” was the night’s highest-rated show among 18-49s, according to overnights, though it came against little competition. Only ABC’s “Rodney” was an original during the 8 p.m. hour last night.

The real test for NBC and “Deal” will be how the game show performs in its next go-round. NBC is sure to bring it back later this season, perhaps after February’s Olympics, when it can really hype the show.
“Deal” actually compares favorably with “Millionaire,” which debuted in the summer of 1999 and then became a huge hit during the regular season. “Millionaire” averaged a 4.2 rating among 18-49s in its second episode, and “Deal” bettered that by 10 percent.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-22-2005 at 08:06 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:10 PM   #65
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Ah. Thanks Jon.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:12 PM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

No prob RFUS, my wife had asked the same question about 5 minutes before you posted (she's watched the show all week) so I was gonna have to look it up anyway
Old 12-23-2005, 02:58 AM   #67
AlexB
Pro Starter

OK - watched the English version yesterday: a lot of the show obviously has to do with the host! The Aussie guy was good, Noel Edmonds is not. Simple as.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:37 AM   #68
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
OK - watched the English version yesterday: a lot of the show obviously has to do with the host! The Aussie guy was good, Noel Edmonds is not. Simple as.

Noel Edmonds!?!?!?? Say it ain't so.....
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:13 AM   #69
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Watched tonight because of the dearth of regular programming. I'm a big Mandel fan, so that was a plus. Then watching the game play out was pretty interesting. I so would have taken one of the earlier offers in tonight's show...Of course the gal didn't, and made out with over a quarter of a million. So what do I know?

I like it, but I don't think I can watch it if they continue to STRETCH things out until after the next commercial. Too many commercial breaks, not enough show.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:35 AM   #70
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
I'm a big Mandel fan, so that was a plus.

You may as well just say you're the big Mandel fan.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:58 AM   #71
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
You may as well just say you're the big Mandel fan.
LOL. I really dislike the whole segueway to commercial bit that American Idol started. The first time, okay. Any time after that and it gets old fast.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:27 AM   #72
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
LOL. I really dislike the whole segueway to commercial bit that American Idol started. The first time, okay. Any time after that and it gets old fast.

How long before we hear "Mandell.....out!"?
Old 12-23-2005, 07:28 PM   #73
Joe
Pro Starter

Looks like we got a much more boring version of this show than other countries have.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/...nodeal2003.htm
Old 12-23-2005, 07:29 PM   #74
Joe
Pro Starter

Dola. I miss the old howie:

Old 02-27-2006, 10:46 PM   #75
kingfc22
Head Coach

Show was back on tonight.

Found this on nbc's webiste and it's a fun timewaster:

hxxp://www.nbc.com/Deal_or_No_Deal/game/
Old 02-27-2006, 10:48 PM   #76
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I saw it for the first time tonight. Really fun, especially if you get a great contestant (like the guy tonight who won over $300,000).
Old 02-28-2006, 07:01 AM   #77
Joe
Pro Starter

have they changed the format at all to make it actually entertaining like the versions other countries get? Or is it still just a stand there and pick out numbers deal?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:08 PM   #78
Rizon
Pro Starter

I watched it for the first time tonight. I'm easily entertained but this show was boring as all hell. The sound right before the briefcase opened got excruciatingly annoying around the 4th or 5th time I heard it ... after that, I had to mute it because the sound made me honestly feel like I had to puke ... seriously, for some reason that sound made me sick.

And How-E got on my nerves too, when he called the case number his hands were in the EXACT same position each time, spaced apart like he was doing some double karate chop. C'mon, mix it around Bobby.

And lastly, I felt the contestant and his cronies were all actors. They were just far too phony to be real people. Maybe they were just really annoying people, but I won't be watching again to find out if everyone on that show acts the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:57 AM   #79
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
And How-E got on my nerves too, when he called the case number his hands were in the EXACT same position each time, spaced apart like he was doing some double karate chop. C'mon, mix it around Bobby.

There was an article in People magazine a week or two ago about him - he has OCD and can't stand to have people touch him, especially his hands. He washes them constantly and pointed out that you'll never see him shake hands with someone on the show...since I read that when we watch it's kind of humorous to watch him avoid touching people
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #80
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
There was an article in People magazine a week or two ago about him - he has OCD and can't stand to have people touch him, especially his hands. He washes them constantly and pointed out that you'll never see him shake hands with someone on the show...since I read that when we watch it's kind of humorous to watch him avoid touching people

That would have to make it more entertaining than it is now. As it is, it drags on far too long for each contestant. This baby won't make it back to the fall lineup, I think.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #81
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
He did a long interview with Opie and Anthony a few months ago, and he talked about his OCD at great length. He tells a fantastically funny story about taking care of his daughters while his wife is away, and being unable to take them into a restroom at a restaurant. A great great funny story.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #82
rkmsuf
Head Coach

someone should rub the phone under their armpit
Old 03-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #83
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

FWIW, the Howie Mandel interview is on XM 202 right now, as part of an O&A Best Of. Wow, what a coincidence.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #84
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
someone should rub the phone under their armpit

:laugh: :laugh:
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #85
tategter
High School JV

My wife and I are probably too into this show. We bought a car over the weekend, and when the sales guy came back with his second offer, my wife thought about it for a second and then suddenly hit the table and yelled 'NO DEAL!'. The sales guys said we were the second person that day to say that to him.
tategter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #86
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Basically, the Banker uses the average value of the remaining cases as a guide point, and then modifies it up or down on a whim.. For example, if he thinks that it would be good TV to watch you get upset and say no deal, in hope you flame out spectacularly, he'll low ball you, if he thinks that you really were going to take the last deal, and somehow lucked out again, it'll be lower. If you're confident, and it's looking bad for him, he'll try to offer you more, to psyche you out and make you nervous.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:11 PM   #87
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My wife has been watching this regularly and I've managed to catch quite a bit of it. It is rather addicting even though I believe some of the contestants cannot do math in their heads (esp. those that don't take the deal if the only higher one has a 18% or 25% chance of hitting). Anyway, I said something stupid tonight asking my wife if we knew who the host was. She looked at me funny and said that's Howie Mandel. I said, 'get out of town'. He is rather good at this role but I still can't believe that's Howie Mandel knowing that he used to be a stupid, unfunny jerk back in the 80s.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:42 PM   #88
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
My wife has been watching this regularly and I've managed to catch quite a bit of it. It is rather addicting even though I believe some of the contestants cannot do math in their heads (esp. those that don't take the deal if the only higher one has a 18% or 25% chance of hitting). Anyway, I said something stupid tonight asking my wife if we knew who the host was. She looked at me funny and said that's Howie Mandel. I said, 'get out of town'. He is rather good at this role but I still can't believe that's Howie Mandel knowing that he used to be a stupid, unfunny jerk back in the 80s.

I think you have classified his eighties schtick correctly. However somewhere in the nineties he became funny. I remember sitting up one night at 3 AM watching his standup routine in say '99, and damn it was one of the funniest acts I had ever seen.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:04 PM   #89
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I thought tonight's episode was very entertaining. They guy took a $301,000 deal that was 50/50 to be higher (it wasn't). My wife laughs at my impatience of Howie milking everything for its worth.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #90
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I thought tonight's episode was very entertaining. They guy took a $301,000 deal that was 50/50 to be higher (it wasn't). My wife laughs at my impatience of Howie milking everything for its worth.

It wasn't the clown guy, right? I turned it off when he was getting his ass handed to him.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #91
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Did anyone see the SNL sendup this weekend?

"I do not understand what is happening here."
Old 04-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #92
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
It wasn't the clown guy, right? I turned it off when he was getting his ass handed to him.

It was the clown guy (who proposed to his GF on the show as well.) I agree with Bucc, it was an entertaining episode.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #93
JS19
College Prospect

I also agree. Usually I can't stand the amount of commercials during this show so i'll flip around, but this one had me entertained enough to stick with it.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:55 PM   #94
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So, anyone still watching this show, not for the actual show, but because you're nerdy and like to do quick math in a contest with your wife to see who comes closest to guessing the banker's offer, and then when the game gets down to brass tacks, figuring the multiple offers that would still be available if the person opened those cases, in order to determine whether that person should, in fact, take the deal or should open another case?

Uh...me neither.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #95
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

I just wish they would move the game along - like anyone is ever going to take a deal after opening 6 cases - if they would just let them open like 15 cases to start with and then start making the deals it would be better.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #96
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
I just wish they would move the game along - like anyone is ever going to take a deal after opening 6 cases - if they would just let them open like 15 cases to start with and then start making the deals it would be better.

It's useful to set a baseline after the first six, to watch the tension build.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #97
molson
General Manager

I didn't watch it much at the beginning, but it's somewhat enjoyable to see these greedy dumb broads turn down a guaranteed six figures and end up with under $1k. Stupid bitches.

The touchy feely stuff is also a little overdone. The second a constestent said "my mother is in South Africa and I haven't seen her in 10 years" - you immediately know that she's in the audience, and that we'll have to spend 2 full minutes on the "reunion".
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:57 PM   #98
BigDPW
College Prospect

NO DEAL!
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #99
BigDPW
College Prospect

Dola - anyone seen the espanol version of this on telemundo? I flipped by and was stuck watching Vas o No Vas for about 30 mintues the other day... They have some real hot latinas on there with much less on than the US version... And the prize money only goes to 250K I think...

VAS O NO VAS!!!!
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #100
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So, anyone still watching this show, not for the actual show, but because you're nerdy and like to do quick math in a contest with your wife to see who comes closest to guessing the banker's offer, and then when the game gets down to brass tacks, figuring the multiple offers that would still be available if the person opened those cases, in order to determine whether that person should, in fact, take the deal or should open another case?

Uh...me neither.

I watched it last night and was amazed. I think your financial situation has to be considered a big factor. Like $100K means a lot more to some than others. That recently single mother turns down 250K and her stupid pink shirted girlfriend, aka fat, friend is still telling her to go No Deal with only 1 case in 4 having more than $500. I felt bad for the mom and annoyed with her at the same time. 250K puts your kids through Ivy League schools or buys a nice house.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote