Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #51
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Don't blame me that EA can't develop a game that doesn't function correctly.

I'm going to regret getting involved in this, I already know it. If you could complete a single post without bashing EA your posts might be worth reading. I really couldn't care less about the console wars but at this point your posts in EA threads have about the same level of credibility as jbmagic's posts about the raiders, or IMTG's posts bashing Oklahoma, just so incredibly silly and biased that even if you're right its not worth reading.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #52
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm going to regret getting involved in this, I already know it. If you could complete a single post without bashing EA your posts might be worth reading. I really couldn't care less about the console wars but at this point your posts in EA threads have about the same level of credibility as jbmagic's posts about the raiders, or IMTG's posts bashing Oklahoma, just so incredibly silly and biased that even if you're right its not worth reading.

If you think a game that has a game crashing bug on a console is anything other than unacceptable, then we don't have a whole lot to discuss. That's a non-starter IMO.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #53
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Don't blame me that EA can't develop a game that doesn't function correctly.

So every game functions correctly!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:33 AM   #54
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
So every game functions correctly!

Obviously not. If it crashes, it ain't working.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #55
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Obviously not. If it crashes, it ain't working.

But if EA can't develop a game that doesn't function right it must be someone else's fault.

Oh shi. Maybe you made a grammatical error.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #56
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
But if EA can't develop a game that doesn't function right it must be someone else's fault.

Oh shi. Maybe you made a grammatical error.

People in Missouri don't make grammar errors. We speak white-trash English. It's an acquired taste for some.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #57
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I now should avoid posting any news about possible game killers only on the 360 version? I assume that posting a warning if it were for a PS3 game is OK? Good lord, man. I was just trying to let people know that might not be aware. You can be sure I'd want to know if there was a similar problem with the PS3 version. Don't blame me that EA can't develop a game that doesn't function correctly.

EF27 - Thanks for the update.

Let's just say if there was a crash in the ps3 version, you wouldn't spill it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #58
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Let's just say if there was a crash in the ps3 version, you wouldn't spill it.

That's simply not true. If the PS3 version had a major problem, I'd post it just the same. There's nothing that pisses me off more than developers who simply fail to do their job and then charge me $60 with no chance for return. If they want my $60, they better earn it.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #59
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
If you think a game that has a game crashing bug on a console is anything other than unacceptable, then we don't have a whole lot to discuss. That's a non-starter IMO.

I was actually commenting on the fact that you found it necessary to take a dig EA overall for the lack of new features while reporting a crash problem.

I won't be buying this game entirely because of the 'rubber band' logic. It kills the natural character progression that I would want to experience in tournaments. I also miss Links a lot
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #60
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I was actually commenting on the fact that you found it necessary to take a dig EA overall for the lack of new features while reporting a crash problem.

I won't be buying this game entirely because of the 'rubber band' logic. It kills the natural character progression that I would want to experience in tournaments. I also miss Links a lot

I was just restating the reviewer's opinion, though I did make the 'EA trademark' comment. It's obviously something that seems to come up on nearly every EA Sports release at this point.

Links is an excellent game. Played it at a friend's house last year and really had a lot of fun.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #61
spleen1015
Coordinator

I traded SimCity 4 to someone on this board for 18 versions of Links and 743 courses. I don't remember who it was.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #62
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Actually, I think it was the comment about it being EA's trademark that there was little improvement from last year that got him. We get that you don't like EA. Anybody who has played EA games realizes that there is very little improvement in gameplay from year to year. Your point has been made and understood, so taking the frequent pot-shots is no longer necessary.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #63
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
Anyone know what or how many courses are in the PC version?

14 courses in all, Cog Hill, Doral, East Lake Golf Club, Firestone, Harbor Town, St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, The Riviera, The Palmer Course at the K Club, Moonah at the National Golf Club, The Ocean Course at Kiawah, TPC Boston, TPC Sawgrass, and Westchester.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #64
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

So checking out TW08 on the PC, I've already knocked in one 5-wood from about 175 yards for an eagle. I'm hoping this was a fluke and it isn't as easy to do in this game as on the consoles. This feat was accomplished in my first day playing with a golfer having about 10/400 skill points.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #65
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
So checking out TW08 on the PC, I've already knocked in one 5-wood from about 175 yards for an eagle. I'm hoping this was a fluke and it isn't as easy to do in this game as on the consoles. This feat was accomplished in my first day playing with a golfer having about 10/400 skill points.

Welcome to Tiger Woods!
Old 08-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #66
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Welcome to Tiger Woods!

You're actually irritating me now. You're getting to Mizzou B-ball fan levels with regard to the game. Don't like the game? Don't click on the thread.

Last edited by Schmidty : 08-30-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:25 PM   #67
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
You're actually irritating Pumpy's taint now. You're getting to Mizzou B-ball fan levels with regard to the game. Don't like Pumpy's taint? Don't click on the thread.

Thanks Dad. This isn't the "feel good" Tiger Woods thread. If you don't like my opinions, skip over them. (this coming from a guy who once said I say good things about every game? lol)

I honestly wish they would add some challenge to this game. I understand the demo is on rookie, but it just gets boring knocking in these great shots more than it should happen.

Edit: and this "rubber band AI" is a game killer for me.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-30-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:34 PM   #68
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Edit: and this "rubber band AI" is a game killer for me.

Do we know if this exists on the PC as well? I haven't played a tournament yet.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #69
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do we know if this exists on the PC as well? I haven't played a tournament yet.

Ask Schmidty.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #70
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I played the demo a few more times and I will say, even though I'm not sure even at higher levels it will be a challenge, it's fun to play. The controls are definitely improved from previous versions.

I might pick it up used at some point, as it will be fun to play against friends.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:05 PM   #71
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
(this coming from a guy who once said I say good things about every game? lol)

I don't remember saying that, but if you say so.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #72
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I don't remember saying that, but if you say so.

Relax Schmidty.. glad you like it. It has its moments, even a short 3 hole demo, I just wish they had competition like NHL and NBA.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:32 AM   #73
Phototropic
Mascot

I'd be tempted to offer the game for free to anyone who can shoot par on Tour Pro their first time. I still haven't broken 80.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:47 AM   #74
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Relax Schmidty.. glad you like it. It has its moments, even a short 3 hole demo, I just wish they had competition like NHL and NBA.

I'm very relaxed.

I just had a mojito and a horse tranquilizer, while watching "Best of Joy of Painting", so I'm semi-comatose. Fire away.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:06 AM   #75
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
14 courses in all, Cog Hill, Doral, East Lake Golf Club, Firestone, Harbor Town, St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, The Riviera, The Palmer Course at the K Club, Moonah at the National Golf Club, The Ocean Course at Kiawah, TPC Boston, TPC Sawgrass, and Westchester.

Thank you for posting the course list. It's not a bad list.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #76
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Now that I've played the PC version a bit more, I have to say that I think I am a fan. I'm still shooting plenty of pars with my low-skill golfer, but I'm not shooting crazy scores. I like the fact that you can't control the spin while the ball is in the air, and I like the ball physics. I've seen balls come nearly to a stop only to crest a hill and accelerate down the other side. That seems quite different.

One thing I'm not a big fan of is that I can't seem to find a way to get a putting grid to extend beyond about 10 feel from my ball. Without getting a grid for the whole way, there is no way to try to line up the putt. I have to hope that there is a consistent break for the whole length of the putt which is almost never the case.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:16 PM   #77
Capital
High School Varsity

BrianD, if I remember correctly, the grid is removed completely as your golfer progresses. So, that may actually help you get used to it.

If I decide to pick it up, it will definitely be for the PC so I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the game. One question, in the PGA tour mode, is there a way to play 1 round Tourneys? It avoids the RubberAI issue and I can move through seasons faster. I'm actually a fan of 2 rounds - as 4 on the same course somewhat bores me.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:14 PM   #78
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
BrianD, if I remember correctly, the grid is removed completely as your golfer progresses. So, that may actually help you get used to it.

If I decide to pick it up, it will definitely be for the PC so I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the game. One question, in the PGA tour mode, is there a way to play 1 round Tourneys? It avoids the RubberAI issue and I can move through seasons faster. I'm actually a fan of 2 rounds - as 4 on the same course somewhat bores me.

The grid is removed completely? As it there will eventually be no grid? How would a person read a putt then? If they made it so the grid extended and putting skill was gained, I could see that working well. If getting better at putting meant being able to see a bigger grid and read longer putts, I'd give EA huge credit for a very good idea.

I still haven't played a tour match yet. I should really do that soon so I can answer questions about it. I was afraid of hurting my golfer if I jumped into it too soon, but I'll make a test guy to see what it is like.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #79
JS19
College Prospect

Started playing the game a week or so ago. I started a career mode and am about 5 tournaments in. As I'm sure you guys know, after each round the ratings bars are adjusted. My question is, is there a way to gain points in the "potential" portion of the bar. For example, lets say my spin skill is at 10 but the bar is up to 25 in potential(not sure if there are actual numbers used on the screen, just using them as an example), is there a way for me to realize the rest of that potential or do I just keep playing and it eventually fills itself in?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #80
BigDPW
College Prospect

Been awhile but I think once you cross certain thresholds in your career (noted by the lines that go up and down along the ratings screen) you can attain actual ratings above 25-50-75 etc... to fulfill that potential you are earning.

I forget the names of the thresholds but they may be on that screen or at least the 1st one (amateur???)
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #81
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I spent a lot of time at or near the top of the golden tee golf (PC) ladder. Ahhh, those were the days. People finally figured out how to edit the holes and make some crazy slopes on the greens and that finally ruined it for me.