Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2007, 09:17 PM   #51
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
It wasn't so much the "rivalry" as it was picking the good program in football and basketball in the same state. Had a frontrunner feel to it, and I was surprised by this as I had you pegged as a hardcore ND fan like Mr. Wednesday.

Ya, except i havent seen either team ever win anything. I am definatly a hardcore ND football fan. Although i was cheering for Indiana basketball before I knew Notre Dame existed!!! Calbert Cheaney is my alltime favourite basketball player, followed by AJ Guyton, and Tom Coverdale.

Next to the NHL, college basketball is my favourite of all sports, hands down.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #52
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Wow! Gardner Webb blows UK out of the water 84-68. Didn't see that one coming.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:29 AM   #53
MrBug708
Head Coach

Eh, Tubby Smith left Kentucky a mess. Think Bob Davie mess
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:31 AM   #54
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
Wow! Gardner Webb blows UK out of the water 84-68. Didn't see that one coming.
Wow. Just wow.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:37 AM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heh.

Snippet from the Andy Katz article about Gardner-Webb's coach
This is from a man who sent Dick Vitale cupcakes a few years ago after Vitale called out Colorado State's schedule for playing a "cupcake" like Gardner-Webb. Now, Vitale is scheduled to call a Gardner-Webb game next week at Madison Square Garden.

"I may bring him more cupcakes," Scruggs said. "He seemed to like them."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/column...ndy&id=3086328
Old 11-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #56
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Wonder if Gillespie is having any second thoughts about taking the job...

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #57
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

The beauty of college basketball is that they can still win a national championship. It's obvoiusly a terribly embarrassing loss, but they have plenty of games in front of them to improve.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #58
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

I almost get the feeling Gillespie was using this game to send a message. He never made any in-game adjustments and was playing freshman walk-ons in the second half when there was still time to make a comeback. I'm not ready to freak out about this game just yet.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #59
Atocep
Coordinator

Gillespie is a great coach and as Bug pointed out, Tubby left Kentucky in horrible shape. Probably going to be more bumps along the way this year, but they're in good shape for the future now, which is more than could be said under Tubby.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:52 AM   #60
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I would agree that. Tubby left the roster in shambles. We have two me-first seniors that really haven't improved since the day they arrived on campus. No juniors (that's right, zero). The sophomore class comprises half of the team and the only real player in that group is Jodie Meeks. Last night two freshmen that Gillespie brought in (Patrick Patterson and Alex Legion) looked like the best players on our team.

Still you would think there's more talent here that Gardner-Webb.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #61
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
Still you would think there's more talent here that Gardner-Webb.

I'm guessing that getting the players' attention in practice won't be a problem for the next few weeks.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #62
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Serves Gillespie right for backing out of the return trip to UMass.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #63
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

After reneging on the UMass game and coaching his way out of a trip to New York, maybe it can be concluded that Gillespie just doesn't like the Northeast.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Georgia Tech loses home opener to UNC-Greensboro 83-74.

First season opening loss for GT since 1993, first home opener since 1980.
To put that in some perspective, that led to a 4-23 season that ended the tenure of Dwayne Morrison and prompted the hiring of Bobby Cremins.

For UNC-G, it's their first win over an ACC team after 24 losses.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #65
MrBug708
Head Coach

The loss was not a good one for GT. Of course, I've never liked Paul Hewitt as a coach. Seems to go big or miss completely on recruiting
Old 11-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, today it's time to meet the Mercer Bears, from Macon, GA.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- James Florence scored 30 points and tiny Mercer stunned No. 18 Southern California 96-81 Saturday, spoiling the college debut of O.J. Mayo.

Mayo, one of the nation's most prized recruits, led the Trojans with 32 points, but he couldn't help them overcome 19 turnovers and going 18-of-32 from the line.

The small-school Bears from Macon, Ga., had the Trojans in trouble early. Mercer shot 59 percent in the first half, when it led by 21 points.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=273140030
Old 11-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #67
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Floyd's decision making with respect to scheduling is almost Dorrell-esque.

He doesn't schedule any exhibition games before going for real. And the one exhibition game he schedules? December 8. December 8? You mean, like a month into the season?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #68
MrBug708
Head Coach

Not exactly an earth shattering surprise. Apparently Floyd is going to let Mayo play and shoot as much as he pleases. Who is the coach here Mayo or Floyd? 40 minutes, 32 points, 12-27 FG's, 4-11 3FG's, 7 REB, 4 AST, 8 TO's, and most importantly a loss to Mercer.

It's going to be a fun basketball season
Old 11-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #69
SFL Cat
College Starter

Embarrassing loss for UK, but as others have said, nothing like getting a cold slap across your face to make you focus on the situation.

They'll still be a good team...and if they stay focused and build on this loss...perhaps a great one.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #70
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Not exactly an earth shattering surprise. Apparently Floyd is going to let Mayo play and shoot as much as he pleases. Who is the coach here Mayo or Floyd? 40 minutes, 32 points, 12-27 FG's, 4-11 3FG's, 7 REB, 4 AST, 8 TO's, and most importantly a loss to Mercer.

It's going to be a fun basketball season

Floyd is an outstanding coach when he has complete control over who is on his roster. But he has never been able to handle the supertalented athlete. OJ Mayo/Baron Davis types walk all over him. In the NBA, the roster is chosen by the front office. Here, Mayo invited himself onto the roster. In both situations, Tim Floyd has and will struggle. Mayo is obviously masturbating all over the program and we're not even to mid-November yet. One 27-shot outburst and one punched teammate so far. I still believe he will be a net positive in terms of exposure and future recruiting, but this season itself is going to be disappointing.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #71
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Then again, Mayo shooting might be the best thing for them (at least today)
Mayo 12-27 44.4% vs Rest of team 16-43 37.2%
He also led them in assists with 4.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #72
Atocep
Coordinator

The guy took 27 shots (shooting the 2nd highest percentage on the team) on a team that has 2, maybe 3 other players that are D-1 talent and that is somehow confirmation that he's masturbating all over the program?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:50 AM   #73
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The guy took 27 shots (shooting the 2nd highest percentage on the team) on a team that has 2, maybe 3 other players that are D-1 talent and that is somehow confirmation that he's masturbating all over the program?

You really think USC is that bereft of talent? Floyd's recruited very well since he got there. That's absurd.

Tim's offense is a very motion-intense, team oriented system. I don't think it's really designed to run through one guy all the time, especially when that guy is turning the ball over with regularity as Mayo did in this game. And again, he evidently punched Daniel Hackett in a practice a couple weeks ago. So yeah, I think it's going pretty badly so far for USC, though I think it's going fine for OJ Mayo's stats.

Regardless, this is a bit off point, as 81 points should be enough to win anyway. A Tim Floyd defense giving up 59% to Mercer is extraordinary. I'd love to know what was going on there.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:12 AM   #74
LloydLungs
College Prospect

dola

I will say I didn't realize how many people USC was missing today (although one of them was obviously Hackett). Still doesn't excuse a loss to Mercer but does help explain why Mayo was taking so many shots.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:20 AM   #75
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
You really think USC is that bereft of talent? Floyd's recruited very well since he got there. That's absurd.

Tim's offense is a very motion-intense, team oriented system. I don't think it's really designed to run through one guy all the time, especially when that guy is turning the ball over with regularity as Mayo did in this game. And again, he evidently punched Daniel Hackett in a practice a couple weeks ago. So yeah, I think it's going pretty badly so far for USC, though I think it's going fine for OJ Mayo's stats.

Regardless, this is a bit off point, as 81 points should be enough to win anyway. A Tim Floyd defense giving up 59% to Mercer is extraordinary. I'd love to know what was going on there.

Everything I've read and know about Mayo (which is admittedly 2nd hand from people I know in the Charleston/Huntington area which is where I'm originally from) is he's immature, but very coachable. If Floyd lets Mayo walk all over him off the court, then thats on him, but on the court Mayo is pretty responsive to what he's told.

The "punch" from everything that's come from USC is that it was an unintentional elbow. Thats from Hackett, Mayo, and Floyd.

I just don't see the reason to condemn a kid based on his first college game. Turnovers happen for young point guards. Mayo is no different.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:03 AM   #76
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Wow, you really think USC only has 2-3 other D1 level players? You need to study up. Hackett and Gibson just off of last year's team alone, form two not only D1, but high quality D1 players, much less Angelo Johnson and Davon Jefferson coming in with Mayo on one of the best recruiting classes in the nation.

USC has a lot of talent. Not sure if it will coalesce into a team, but you should look closer at that roster before shooting off. And this is coming from a UCLA fan.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #77
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
The "punch" from everything that's come from USC is that it was an unintentional elbow. Thats from Hackett, Mayo, and Floyd.

Maybe, but I wouldn't think any of them would admit it publically if it was a punch. It would be a media circus.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #78
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wow, you really think USC only has 2-3 other D1 level players? You need to study up. Hackett and Gibson just off of last year's team alone, form two not only D1, but high quality D1 players, much less Angelo Johnson and Davon Jefferson coming in with Mayo on one of the best recruiting classes in the nation.

USC has a lot of talent. Not sure if it will coalesce into a team, but you should look closer at that roster before shooting off. And this is coming from a UCLA fan.

Of the guys playing yesterday, there were 2-3 D1 talents and I was mainly talking about the holdovers from last year's team, which consists of Gibson and Hackett and maybe Dwight Lewis. Thats about it.

Johnson didn't play yesterday, Hackett didn't play yesterday, and Mayo gets ripped for taking 27 shots.

I'm not an OJ Mayo fan, but making him out to be everything thats wrong with college basketball after 1 game is a bit too much.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #79
MrBug708
Head Coach

DOnt worry, Lil Romeo is coming soon enough!
Old 11-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #80
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Everything I've read and know about Mayo (which is admittedly 2nd hand from people I know in the Charleston/Huntington area which is where I'm originally from) is he's immature, but very coachable. If Floyd lets Mayo walk all over him off the court, then thats on him, but on the court Mayo is pretty responsive to what he's told.

I just don't see the reason to condemn a kid based on his first college game. Turnovers happen for young point guards. Mayo is no different.

Actually there have been more then a few places that have said that it's an elbow to basically keep some sort of order but there have been plenty of reports that it was a fist, not an elbow.

Either way, the more media USC attracts the better for UCLA it becomes. I just hope LSU doesn't can Brady anytime soon....
Old 11-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #81
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Of the guys playing yesterday, there were 2-3 D1 talents and I was mainly talking about the holdovers from last year's team, which consists of Gibson and Hackett and maybe Dwight Lewis. Thats about it.

Johnson didn't play yesterday, Hackett didn't play yesterday, and Mayo gets ripped for taking 27 shots.

I'm not an OJ Mayo fan, but making him out to be everything thats wrong with college basketball after 1 game is a bit too much.

I agree with your thinking on Mayo, and you should have been more clear about what you meant (players playing yesterday, for instance) before you denigrate the whole team. That said, there is more talent there than you suggest, or hundreds of basketball experts are seemingly wrong while you're right.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #82
JeeberD
General Manager

Big early season test for the Miners tomorrow when they take on 15th ranked Texas A$M in College Station in the second round of the Preseason NIT.. The Miners have looked solid so far, but we have troubles down low (gave up 30 points to A&M-CC's center tonight and got outrebounded) and A$M has some size in Joseph Jones and DeAndre Jordan. If our guards can force some turnover and hit their shots jumpers, we have a shot at going to Madison Square Garden. It almost has to be a perfect game for us, though...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 11-13-2007 at 11:38 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:03 AM   #83
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA goes to 3-0 on the season and has been playing without Darren Collison. Hopefully he can make it back for the game on Friday. UCLA is also missing a key reserve in Mike Roll so far but Kevin Love has been as good as advertised
Old 11-14-2007, 12:38 AM   #84
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
UCLA goes to 3-0 on the season and has been playing without Darren Collison. Hopefully he can make it back for the game on Friday. UCLA is also missing a key reserve in Mike Roll so far but Kevin Love has been as good as advertised

Man, no love for Keefe?

Old 11-14-2007, 12:40 AM   #85
MrBug708
Head Coach

Keefe hasn't shown me much yet and it's sad that he's hurt because these games are the ones he'd be playing a lot in. But no one that is playing is behind Keefe on the depth chart
Old 11-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #86
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Keefe hasn't shown me much yet and it's sad that he's hurt because these games are the ones he'd be playing a lot in. But no one that is playing is behind Keefe on the depth chart

Actually, he was playing much more strongly at the end of the year last year. He's clearly in the four big man rotation, and with Aboya will spell Mata and Love. And we'll need four big men against the bigger teams. His presence has also allowed Coach Howland to move Luc to the 3 more permanently. I'm not quite ready to toss a McDonald's American aside just because he didn't get much playing time last year on a deep Final Four team.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #87
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mizzou and UCLA took care of business last night and are heading to KC along with Maryland. Assuming Michigan State wins their next game, we should have a great set of 4 teams playing in KC next week.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #88
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Actually, he was playing much more strongly at the end of the year last year. He's clearly in the four big man rotation, and with Aboya will spell Mata and Love. And we'll need four big men against the bigger teams. His presence has also allowed Coach Howland to move Luc to the 3 more permanently. I'm not quite ready to toss a McDonald's American aside just because he didn't get much playing time last year on a deep Final Four team.

Maybe so, but I'd much rather see Luc get time at the four and only play at the three when Howland is going with a big lineup
Old 11-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #89
Swaggs
Coordinator

If I am not mistaken, today is the first day of the early signing period for college hoops.

Bobby Huggins appears to have pulled together the best class (as far as ratings go) in WVU history, dipping into New York for two pretty highly touted kids and grabbing a 4-star PF, as well.

Exciting time to be a Mountaineer, with two successful alums heading the football and basketball teams.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:35 PM   #90
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
If I am not mistaken, today is the first day of the early signing period for college hoops.

Bobby Huggins appears to have pulled together the best class (as far as ratings go) in WVU history, dipping into New York for two pretty highly touted kids and grabbing a 4-star PF, as well.

Exciting time to be a Mountaineer, with two successful alums heading the football and basketball teams.

You are correct. It is signing day. Mizzou's class is pretty interesting as all of them are 3-star players, but they all are athletic freaks. Coach Anderson loves to run the '40 minutes of hell' style and we're obviously lacking the speed on our current roster to run it well. This class (7 players total) should help our team speed quite a bit.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #91
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You are correct. It is signing day. Mizzou's class is pretty interesting as all of them are 3-star players, but they all are athletic freaks. Coach Anderson loves to run the '40 minutes of hell' style and we're obviously lacking the speed on our current roster to run it well. This class (7 players total) should help our team speed quite a bit.

I have a good friend that is a UAB fanatic and I got to see Anderson quite a bit over the past few years. I think he will be a good fit there at Mizzou, once he gets those guys conditioned for his style of defense (which, I'd imagine will be this season). With Big 12 calibre of athletes, I think you all should be pretty successful.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #92
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I have a good friend that is a UAB fanatic and I got to see Anderson quite a bit over the past few years. I think he will be a good fit there at Mizzou, once he gets those guys conditioned for his style of defense (which, I'd imagine will be this season). With Big 12 calibre of athletes, I think you all should be pretty successful.

Watching the team now under Coach Anderson is like night and day compared to Quin Snyder's teams. The team now flies all over the court and you can see the opposing guards getting more and more flustered as the game goes along. The effort expended is unbelievable. They still make some mistakes, but even the mistakes are mostly effort mistakes at this point. I'm not sure how we even put up with the sloppy play of previous teams. Watching these guys play the game at a high pace with discipline is a load of fun as a fan.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #93
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA pulled in a great haul today with kids as well. Brought in two 5 stars and two 4 stars and didn't leave California to do it.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:09 AM   #94
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

I heard he gave Kevin Jones' parents a house.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:48 AM   #95
Radii
Head Coach

I didn't get to see the game, but I guess i should be happy that UNC avoided the upset, I know Davidson isn't a bad team by any stretch. UNC's standards need to be much, much higher than they were tonight though if they want to be #1.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:10 AM   #96
miami_fan
Coordinator

Lawson really struggled yesterday. Not just by the numbers, but in the second half he could not get the team to run any sort of half court offense.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:18 AM   #97
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Big early season test for the Miners tomorrow when they take on 15th ranked Texas A$M in College Station in the second round of the Preseason NIT.. The Miners have looked solid so far, but we have troubles down low (gave up 30 points to A&M-CC's center tonight and got outrebounded) and A$M has some size in Joseph Jones and DeAndre Jordan. If our guards can force some turnover and hit their shots jumpers, we have a shot at going to Madison Square Garden. It almost has to be a perfect game for us, though...

Dammit, we gave A$M all they could handle but couldn't finish it off. We led probably 80% of the game and were up by as much as ten points in the second half, but our big men (who were surprisingly doing a decent job on defense) got in foul trouble which made our defense start to have to sag down low a bit more, and A$M started making their threes.

Overall, I was really impressed with how the Miners played. A bit three pointer happy, but after starting out on fire I can see how they fell in love with the shot. If we can get better on the boards I think we have a shot of being a top three team in CUSA...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 11-15-2007 at 06:20 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:18 AM   #98
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Sedems like UNC is really going to struggle if Ellington is off from outside against a good team.

(Then again, Davidson is a good team.)
Old 11-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #99
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow, a few embarrasing results for the B12 last night.

--OSU loses to North Texas.
--Iowa State loses to Bradley.
--Texas Tech loses to Sam Houston State.

Not that I thought any of these teams would be any better than bottom half of the conference, but it's still not good. Makes me feel more confident about MU's chances in the league.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #100
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Wow, a few embarrasing results for the B12 last night.

--OSU loses to North Texas.
--Iowa State loses to Bradley.
--Texas Tech loses to Sam Houston State.

Not that I thought any of these teams would be any better than bottom half of the conference, but it's still not good. Makes me feel more confident about MU's chances in the league.

Is the Bradley-Iowa State game that embarrassing? Bradley have been in the tourney the last three years and had a pretty good recruiting class last year. If the Cyclones are not supposed to be any than the bottom of the conference, it may have been embarrassing if ISU won.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote