Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #51
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
It's due out this upcoming Tuesday which is perfect for me as a week long vacation starts on Monday. This and Mass Effect will be getting heavy play from me.

Same here man. I always like having a sports game and a story-drive game. It lets me balance out game time, and doesn't have me following two stories at once.

JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #52
rjolley
College Starter

Ok, I'm playing 2K7 on the original XBox and it didn't feel like teams would play to their strengths. Good to hear they will more in the next gen versions.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #53
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post

Coaches have settings for what kind of recruits they look for - athletic, intelligent, etc. They all have setting for tempo and what not as well, these are all editable. One thing that blows is they took out the real coaches, but I suspect the only difference is that they are not named.

For non-conference scheduling you are basically assigned a schedule, you can modify to your liking. I usually just left it as is, they do a pretty good job. In my CMU legacy they've scheduled games against Detroit and Oakland which I thought was pretty cool since I sometimes battle those two for recruits.

Preseason Tournaments are included, there are a lot of them but I'm not sure that they are all included. You are basically just assigned to one, at a realistic level IMO. At CMU we've played in a bunch of mid-level tournaments. This year we are with Gonzaga, Arizona State, and Niagara but I don't remember what the tournament is called. I think ASU is hosting it.

Each coach has settings for their tendencies, which if I remember correctly cover most of what you have asked. They tie into with what the coach is looking for in his recruiting. I'll have to look and see what the settings are again.

For defense, each coach has IIRC 3 sets assigned to them. For example, Boeheim runs 2-3 zone. They also have press settings which are pretty accurate.

I think they do a good job playing to their strengths.

I'm in my 4th year at CMU in recent games that stick out for me, at Michigan State they had good athletic guards but couldn't shoot. They drove to the hole quite often. At Duke they had good shooting gaurds but not overly athletic, they shot more jump shots. Michigan had a couple really good big guys, they both scored double figures. (We beat Duke in OT and MSU )

I remember playing against UNC and they fed Hansbrough quite often.

Amazing........

Does the NBA series do the same thing? Draft/Sign FA's a certain way and play to those players' strengths.

Do college coaches get fired or move to other teams? If so, who fills the openings? Do assistant coaches get head coaching offers?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #54
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Amazing........

Does the NBA series do the same thing? Draft/Sign FA's a certain way and play to those players' strengths.

Do college coaches get fired or move to other teams? If so, who fills the openings? Do assistant coaches get head coaching offers?

The NBA game doesn't have systems for coaches. Coaches in the NBA game just get rated on "offense, defense, and teaching." College Hoops has a much more detailed system where coaches get rated in their favorite systems to run, charisma, discipline, teaching abilities, offense, and defense.

Yes, College coaches get fired, go to better jobs. Assistant coaches get offered head coaching jobs with time. The coach carousel in College Hoops is one of the best done of any console sports game. I always start with a "closed dynasty" mode which limits you to starting as a head coach of one of a bunch of very low prestige teams and you try to work your way up the coaching chain.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #55
Galaxy
Coordinator

It sounds like the college game is always a step ahead of the NBA sister (which sounds like it's one of the best pro games ever). When you get offers, are they only from schools that have openings?

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-15-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #56
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Amazing........

I'm not sure about the NBA, haven't played it much in the past and didn't buy this year's.

In the offseason there is a "coaching carousel," coaches get fired and promoted...for example - Jim Calhoun just retired at UCONN, Mark Few from Gonzaga went to UCONN, I can't remember who took the Gonzaga job but he left a mid-major school and was replaced by an assistant at that mid-major school. I was offered the Gonzaga job but turned it down.

Each coach has a job security rating, it fills and empties rather quickly but seems realistic.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #57
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It sounds like the college game is always a step ahead of the NBA sister (which sounds like it's one of the best pro games ever). When you get offers, are they only from schools that have openings?

In my opinion, every single year, the College Hoops game has been better than the same year's NBA 2k game. The two teams seem to work closely together and College Hoops usually has all of the NBA gameplay additions that are further refined, plus it adds a few more. For example, the create a play this year is an additional feature while it kept all of the NBA's features. The team does a great job with capturing the college feel and atmosphere as well. I have very high hopes for College Hoops this year.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:33 AM   #58
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
When you get offers, are they only from schools that have openings?

Yes.

In the example I gave above. UCONN was open, due to Calhoun retiring. Few took the UCONN spot, opening the Gonzaga job. They way it works is the top jobs are offered first plucking coaches from other schools opening those jobs, but the top schools get the first choice of coaches.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:14 PM   #59
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Ok, I'm playing 2K7 on the original XBox and it didn't feel like teams would play to their strengths. Good to hear they will more in the next gen versions.

2k7 on xbox was more of a roster update to 2k6 from what i understand. 2k7 on the 360/PS3 saw significant improvements that weren't in the Xbox and PS2 versions. i don't know what is expected this year.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #60
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
2k7 on xbox was more of a roster update to 2k6 from what i understand. 2k7 on the 360/PS3 saw significant improvements that weren't in the Xbox and PS2 versions. i don't know what is expected this year.
Yeah, that's what I remember hearing. I'd hate to spend about $400 on just CH2K8 (I don't think there's any other game I'd play a lot right now), but if the reviews make it sound like a must have, I may break down and get a 360 now instead of waiting for the next cycle when the machines will be cheaper.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:48 PM   #61
RainMaker
General Manager

They've added consolation games to the preseason tournaments as well. Someone mentioned these tournaments, and just about all of them are in the game. Some have the real names in it, some are generic names that are very similar to the real version (the Chicago Invitational is called the Windy City Invitational).

I'm a big fan of the scheduling in the game. I like how you can make your own out-of-conference schedule and can have trouble finding big schools to come play you at home. If you are out of a small conference, you'll find it virtually impossible to find a big school to play you on your court.

It also looks like they revamped the weekly show as well as the tournament selection show. I was a huge fan of the tournament selection show. I hope they don't give you the prompt telling you that you made the tournament before the show begins like they did last year. The drama of watching the show unveil the teams is a lot of fun if you're on the bubble.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #62
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Yeah, that's what I remember hearing. I'd hate to spend about $400 on just CH2K8 (I don't think there's any other game I'd play a lot right now), but if the reviews make it sound like a must have, I may break down and get a 360 now instead of waiting for the next cycle when the machines will be cheaper.

That's exactly what I did last year. Even though I ended up semi-disappointed b/c I had issues w/ the game hanging, I've gotten a few other games during the year and am real glad I did buy a 360 finally.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #63
rjolley
College Starter

I'm trying to hold off until the stability issues settle down. My XBox will freeze while playing 2K7, but a reboot fixes it. I'd hate to have to send a 360 in for repairs. (and no, MBBF, I do not want a more stable PS3 )
Old 11-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #64
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

It also looks like they revamped the weekly show as well as the tournament selection show. I was a huge fan of the tournament selection show. I hope they don't give you the prompt telling you that you made the tournament before the show begins like they did last year. The drama of watching the show unveil the teams is a lot of fun if you're on the bubble.

That would be awesome.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #65
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I hope they don't give you the prompt telling you that you made the tournament before the show begins like they did last year.

I never got that before then again every year we've gotten in its been because we won the conference tournament.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #66
Galaxy
Coordinator

Will it have a "Bubble Watch"?
Old 11-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #67
Phototropic
Mascot

Quote:
I'm a big fan of the scheduling in the game. I like how you can make your own out-of-conference schedule and can have trouble finding big schools to come play you at home. If you are out of a small conference, you'll find it virtually impossible to find a big school to play you on your court.
Was this in last year? I guess I never tried to get any good teams to come to my place, but that is awesome.

Last edited by Phototropic : 11-15-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #68
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Man I can't wait to get this.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #69
bhlloy
Coordinator

So, I went to pre-order from go-gamer but even 2 day shipping makes the order over $75 bucks and to get next day makes it close to $100! Am I really going to have any trouble picking this up from Walmart or Target on Tuesday night? Alternatively, does anyone know of a site I can pre-order and not get screwed on shipping?
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #70
Groundhog
Coordinator

I pre-ordered from play-asia.com for the PS3, and with 1-2 days international shipping from Hong Kong it only cost me $80AU.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #71
bhlloy
Coordinator

I should probably add that I definitely want it for the Thanksgiving break, so next day shipping is pretty much a must. I'm not dropping $100 on it though...
Old 11-15-2007, 10:59 PM   #72
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Will it have a "Bubble Watch"?

2k7 did have a bubble watch on the 360 version I played. All it listed was the team, their record & their RPI, but it was something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So, I went to pre-order from go-gamer but even 2 day shipping makes the order over $75 bucks and to get next day makes it close to $100! Am I really going to have any trouble picking this up from Walmart or Target on Tuesday night? Alternatively, does anyone know of a site I can pre-order and not get screwed on shipping?

My local Gamestop said they should have it on Tuesday. No reason why all Gamestops shouldn't have it by Tuesday, or worst case by Wednesday.

Looking forward to only working a 6-hour shift on Wednesday and a 5-hour shift on T-giving. More time for 2k8 and Mass Effect!!!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:32 AM   #73
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
2k7 did have a bubble watch on the 360 version I played. All it listed was the team, their record & their RPI, but it was something.

It is also part of the Weekly Show.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:43 PM   #74
Galaxy
Coordinator

If you sim your games, will your team stick to your offense and defense rotations and style of play (can you set up your defense to play 2-3, or an uptempo offense for simming)?

Do assistant coaches have a type of game as well? Will that have an affect on who you sign and how they impact your team? I take it that they will have that same style if they get hired by a big program?

When hiring and firing, can head coaches go to smaller schools or become assistants? What promotes assistant head coaches to get head coaching jobs?

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-16-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #75
rjolley
College Starter

And speaking of rotations, will I have a SF come in as the SG or even PG before my very capable SG or PG comes in?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #76
Radii
Head Coach

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27600.html?type=wmv
Old 11-17-2007, 01:46 AM   #77
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

I preordered it in videogamesplus.ca as they have an awesome service, specially for us euros. The last game i bought took only 4 days to come to Spain and the prices are way cheaper than the games here with the current Euro<->Dollar exchange rate. I have purcahsed all my PS3 games there, around 10, and never had a problem.

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/product...ducts_id=13371

It's US $59.99 + $7.00us shipping from Canada.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:33 AM   #78
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
If you sim your games, will your team stick to your offense and defense rotations and style of play (can you set up your defense to play 2-3, or an uptempo offense for simming)?

Yes, you set the settings to your liking and they will be used for simmed games.

Quote:
Do assistant coaches have a type of game as well? Will that have an affect on who you sign and how they impact your team? I take it that they will have that same style if they get hired by a big program?

I don't know that they have a style of play, I'm not sure how that works. The assistants are basically there to help develop players and recruit.

Quote:
When hiring and firing, can head coaches go to smaller schools or become assistants? What promotes assistant head coaches to get head coaching jobs?

Yes, when you or the CPU coaches get fired they can get jobs at smaller schools. You cannot become an assistant but I believe CPU Head Coaches can but its not likely.

Here is a picture of the Coaching Carousel Recap.

Here is another article with info on Legacy Mode and All American Challenges.
http://www.vetzballin.com/modules.ph...rder=0&thold=0

Here are a couple videos (right click - save as):
Duke vs. UNC (1st Half)

Duke vs. UNC (2nd Half)
Old 11-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #79
bhlloy
Coordinator

Dammit, I really need to not read anything more about legacy mode before I can actually get the game next week. More geeked about this one than any game since the original Theme Park I think.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #80
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototropic View Post
Was this in last year? I guess I never tried to get any good teams to come to my place, but that is awesome.
Yeah, not sure how in-depth it was. But in a closed legacy I took Eastern Illinois. It would prompt me with "You are not prestigous enough to schedule this game" if you tried to make it a home game. I could play them on the road though. With EIU, I don't think I was able to get any major conference team to come to my campus (I think Northwestern did, not sure though).

When I moved up to Gonzaga, I was able to schedule some good home games with mid-level conferences, but was still near impossible to get a powerhouse to come to your building (or any major conference schools). With the new 6th man advantage, it should make it even tougher for small schools to compete (which is a good thing).

Last edited by RainMaker : 11-17-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #81
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
I never got that before then again every year we've gotten in its been because we won the conference tournament.
It would pop something up like "Congratulations you've been selected to the NCAA tournament" before the selection show would start. First time it did it, it took the suspense out of it. But I would just close my eyes and click to the date. Not a big deal.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #82
Phototropic
Mascot

Quote:
Yeah, not sure how in-depth it was. But in a closed legacy I took Eastern Illinois. It would prompt me with "You are not prestigous enough to schedule this game" if you tried to make it a home game. I could play them on the road though. With EIU, I don't think I was able to get any major conference team to come to my campus (I think Northwestern did, not sure though).

When I moved up to Gonzaga, I was able to schedule some good home games with mid-level conferences, but was still near impossible to get a powerhouse to come to your building (or any major conference schools). With the new 6th man advantage, it should make it even tougher for small schools to compete (which is a good thing).
Thanks. I may get more into this year's game and try to knock out multiple seasons.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:24 PM   #83
Radii
Head Coach

this should be in stores today(Tuesday) correct? I have two days off at home before I have to drive out for Thanksgiving, I may be picking this up early afternoon tomorrow if its available
Old 11-19-2007, 11:31 PM   #84
korme
Go Reds

Well I hope that all the coaches names are in this year. From that screen, it looks like they are all Coach (School), which is too bad, because only a few of them were like that last year, and it wasn't that bad bc you could edit the names.

One of my favorite features last year was that it kept my coaching history- I wonder if they will upgrade to keep every coaches history.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:39 PM   #85
korme
Go Reds

Wow, read the Q &A. I HAD NO IDEA that you could alter the list of "available" closed legacy teams by the way their overall rating is..

"The schools available for the mode are selected based on their overall rating, which are generally teams with a rating of 70 or lower. When you modify the roster and change player ratings, which in turn changes the overall team rating, the list will change. By default, the teams available are:The schools available for the mode are selected based on their overall rating, which are generally teams with a rating of 70 or lower. When you modify the roster and change player ratings, which in turn changes the overall team rating, the list will change. By default, the teams available are:"

Looks like I'm editing Wright State to be even crappier than they are already so I can choose them first.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:02 AM   #86
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Well I hope that all the coaches names are in this year. From that screen, it looks like they are all Coach (School), which is too bad, because only a few of them were like that last year, and it wasn't that bad bc you could edit the names.

One of my favorite features last year was that it kept my coaching history- I wonder if they will upgrade to keep every coaches history.

I read in an article that they didn't renew the coach's license. Though with everything being editable..
Old 11-20-2007, 02:25 AM   #87
Icy
Pro Starter

It will be shipped to me today, hopefully it will be here next Monday. I'll need to suffer reading your first impressions.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:54 AM   #88
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
It will be shipped to me today, hopefully it will be here next Monday. I'll need to suffer reading your first impressions.

Me too.

There hasn't ever been a game I've looked forward to more.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:27 AM   #89
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Wow, read the Q &A. I HAD NO IDEA that you could alter the list of "available" closed legacy teams by the way their overall rating is..

"The schools available for the mode are selected based on their overall rating, which are generally teams with a rating of 70 or lower. When you modify the roster and change player ratings, which in turn changes the overall team rating, the list will change. By default, the teams available are:The schools available for the mode are selected based on their overall rating, which are generally teams with a rating of 70 or lower. When you modify the roster and change player ratings, which in turn changes the overall team rating, the list will change. By default, the teams available are:"

Looks like I'm editing Wright State to be even crappier than they are already so I can choose them first.

Don't waste your time, you can just do Open Legacy - its the same thing except you can start with any school. You can still get promoted to a better job.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:29 AM   #90
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Yea, they didn't renew the coaches contract in order to save money. They did a survey on OS last year and I think it was 80% for not renewing as long as you can edit everything.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:32 AM   #91
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
this should be in stores today(Tuesday) correct? I have two days off at home before I have to drive out for Thanksgiving, I may be picking this up early afternoon tomorrow if its available

Yes it will be. I got my call from Gamespot last night. Mass Effect will be in this morning and College Hoops will be early this afternoon. I guess I can wait a few hours to go get both
Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #92
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Went to the MU/Mich. State game last night. The tournament is sponsored by 2K Sports. At halftime, they had a MSU and MU fan play the game and they showed it on the big screen TV's on the scoreboard. Looked awfully good.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #93
vex
Grizzled Veteran

2k Sports Forum is reporting that the demo is now up on XBL.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #94
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
2k Sports Forum is reporting that the demo is now up on XBL.

The demo for CH2K8 has been out for a while now. I've had it for at least a week or two.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #95
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Part of me wants to just jump right in and play tonight. The thing is, I know people will be hard at work on renaming all of the players. One year, I just renamed the players on my team and left all the others with the game-generated names. Last year, I waited for the roster guys to rename all the players, though, and it made me feel a little more in touch with the real college basketball season.

I guess the realistic options for me are:
1) Rename my own guys and leave the others alone
2) Rename my entire conference and leave the others alone
3) Wait for someone to update all the teams

There's no way I'm renaming all the players myself, even though I have a keypad. I am not going to research all 300+ teams and figure out who's who. I definitely want to have my dynasty started by the end of the day on Thursday, though, so I'll need to make a decision soon.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #96
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Part of me wants to just jump right in and play tonight. The thing is, I know people will be hard at work on renaming all of the players. One year, I just renamed the players on my team and left all the others with the game-generated names. Last year, I waited for the roster guys to rename all the players, though, and it made me feel a little more in touch with the real college basketball season.

I guess the realistic options for me are:
1) Rename my own guys and leave the others alone
2) Rename my entire conference and leave the others alone
3) Wait for someone to update all the teams

There's no way I'm renaming all the players myself, even though I have a keypad. I am not going to research all 300+ teams and figure out who's who. I definitely want to have my dynasty started by the end of the day on Thursday, though, so I'll need to make a decision soon.

I'm in the same boat. Since my NBA dynasty is in year 2 and won't use college players until the 3rd year, I'm thinking about just going the fictional name route. Or if Mass Effect is extremely absorbing, that might keep me busy until someone has a named roster out.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #97
rjolley
College Starter

I usually play without a roster with real players. Since I don't export to the pros until I have players who are going to be drafted, and it takes me a few years to get those, I never have real players going to the pros most times anyway.

Well, unless I decide I really want the current college stars to be draft classes for my pro league. But most times, I enjoy seeing only my players in the pros.

Last edited by rjolley : 11-20-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #98
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I just played my first game Memphis (me) vs. UCLA. I couldn't do much offensively and lost 72-59. The game plays a lot like last year, which is good. The 6th man doesn't seem overdone, the only time I maxed it out was when I was down by six when Anderson hit a 3 and then stole the ball from Shipp and threw an alley oop to Rose.

Offensive rebounds and blocked shots need turned way down,

The play creator is awesome! I've created a couple plays that I can't wait to check out.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:17 PM   #99
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, there are a bunch of users on OS cooperating on a group roster. If they keep up their current pace, there should be named rosters out by tomorrow or Thursday. Of course, with so many people working on them, there might be errors. Fairdale Kings has also started working on his set.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-20-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #100
Radii
Head Coach

I'm playing my first exhibition game, UNC vs NC State, default settings, losing early on, the only comment I have so far is that the play diagrams on the court are beautifully done and are a HUGE addition. Now, to open the rule book and figure out WTF is going on