Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #51
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
I wonder if Bud Foster (VT's def coordinator & the 2006 Broyles Award winner) is going to get a look from someone. I get the impression that most people think he's not leaving Blacksburg since he's the obvious heir to Beamer, but he's been vocal to the local media in the past week about being open to head coaching offers. I'd hate to see him go since he's been the key to VT's defense over the years, but part of me knows that he's earned the right to see what he can do as a head man.

Someone on one of the ESPN chats yesterday (I think it was Bruce Feldman) asked why Foster was not a HC yet and the simple reason given was that he is not much of a self promoter. Maybe his being vocal to the local media is him trying to get a little notice and put himself out there a little bit.

Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #52
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Someone on one of the ESPN chats yesterday (I think it was Bruce Feldman) asked why Foster was not a HC yet and the simple reason given was that he is not much of a self promoter. Maybe his being vocal to the local media is him trying to get a little notice and put himself out there a little bit.
That could very well be the case...but even with him being a tad bit more vocal now, he still doesn't really seem to go out of his way to campaign for anything.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/blog/index.cfm?uid=82 - VT blog from a Hampton Roads paper

'ON THE HOKIES’ STAFF CONTINUITY: “It’s a combination of things. We work for a great guy. This is a great area to live. I feel like we’ve got the best fans in the country. You know, we’ve created something here that’s very special. You don’t want to see someone else reap the rewards of what you’ve worked so hard for. But there also comes a point in time, too, where it’s time to maybe look some other place. But for me to be an assistant somewhere else … I don’t need that. It would have to be to go and be a head coach somewhere.” '

That's about as much as you can get out of him on the subject.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #53
MJ4H
Coordinator

This article is pretty freaking funny to me:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10502423

That's entertainment! When schools hire and misfire

Nov. 29, 2007
By Gregg Doyel
CBSSports.com National Columnist
Tell Gregg your opinion!

This is the best time of year in college football, because this is when some of the country's biggest programs make some of the dumbest hires. If you're an unbiased observer it's fascinating and even fun to watch, like when you pass a car accident and see a stray shoe with a foot still inside. Gross and unfortunate, but at the end of the day it's someone else's problem. Which makes it kind of cool.
Wow, Ole Miss wasted no time, making a terrible hire in Houston Nutt. (AP)
If you're looking for something gruesome, look at Texas A&M and Ole Miss, the first two schools to hire a new football coach. Texas A&M went with Mike Sherman, also known as Bill Callahan 2.0 -- a fired NFL coach who will fail in the Big 12 job. I love it. Ole Miss picked Houston Nutt, which is gloriously grotesque.
And I like Ole Miss. I was raised in Oxford, Miss., by two Ole Miss employees. The chancellor, Robert Khayat, is a local athletic legend who used to ask me, when I was 8 or 9, if he could have my autograph. Great guy. So is Ole Miss basketball coach Andy Kennedy.
But Ole Miss football coach Houston Nutt? He's a bad guy, and he might even be a bad coach. It's hard to say, because he took turns overachieving and then underachieving at Arkansas, at first from year to year but then more recently from week to week.
What's most baffling about Ole Miss' hiring of Nutt is the speed with which it happened. Nutt resigned from Arkansas on Monday, fleeing from fan pressure, and was hired late that night by Ole Miss. For the Rebels, it was like Urban Meyer or Jim Tressel had become available. Ole Miss wanted to get their guy before someone else snapped him up.
But who would have been that enamored with Houston Nutt? Not the parents of the kids he recruited to Arkansas under shady and even false pretenses. Nutt brought in high school coach Gus Malzahn to get to Malzahn's best prep players, then refused to let Malzahn implement the offense that attracted those players to Arkansas.
Not any respectable BCS program, not so soon after Nutt turned the Arkansas program into a dysfunctional national joke. Maybe in a year or two the stink would have worn off and Nutt could have gotten back into coaching at a place like UTEP. But, no. Within hours he ends up at Ole Miss.
No wonder you're Ole Miss. No disrespect intended, Mr. Khayat. (Nor to you, Andy Kennedy).
As for Texas A&M, it's almost like message boards are running that place. And maybe they are. If you recall, their last school president, Robert Gates, trolled a fan site message board as an anonymous poster. That's a real progressive place, Texas A&M, and believe it or not, I like Texas A&M too. All three of my cousins went there, with the third graduating next month. One of them took care of Reveille for a year. That's a cool school.
But Mike Sherman? That's a bad hire. It makes sense only in the weakest bytes of cyberspace, message boards where fans gather to make their own superficial list of desirable coaching traits -- a former Aggies employee we've all heard of -- and come up with Mike Sherman.
The hire obviously made sense to Texas A&M athletics director Bill Byrne, who said Sherman was the right guy because, among other things, "He understands what the War Hymn means; he understands the spirit of Aggieland."
Really? Mike Sherman was the best A&M could do? Really? (AP)
Sherman knows the words to the school fight song, so the job is his? Terrific. Some day I hope to play poker with Bill Byrne, and I don't like poker. I don't even know how to play.
Sherman knows football, but he doesn't know enough to have this job. He was an offensive line coach at Texas A&M in the 1980s and 1990s? Big deal. He was head coach at Green Bay from 2000-05, and went 57-39? Big deal. Mike Holmgren won a Super Bowl with the Packers. Mike McCarthy could get them there this season. Nobody loses at Green Bay with Brett Favre at quarterback, not even Ray Rhodes -- well, nobody but Mike Sherman, whose 2005 team went 4-12.
Overmatched NFL washout Bill Callahan's spectacular failure at Nebraska doesn't implicitly mean Sherman will do the same at Texas A&M, of course. But it should have scared the people running Texas A&M -- whichever message board they're on -- into looking longer than 48 hours for Dennis Franchione's replacement before giving the job to Mike Sherman.
To Texas A&M's credit, Sherman wasn't the school's first choice. Auburn's Tommy Tuberville was. But when Tuberville decided not to pursue the job, Texas A&M panicked. Kind of like after the 2003 season when Nebraska went after a "name" guy, whiffed, and latched onto Callahan.
If you remember, the name guy Nebraska wanted in 2003 was Houston Nutt.
God help me, I love this time of year.

Last edited by MJ4H : 11-29-2007 at 01:25 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #54
SnDvls
Pro Starter

smart move by Tom Osborn @ Nebraska...he named himself the "interim coach" so he could recruit and try to salvage a class for the Huskers

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3133259
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Brian Billick is pushing Ravens OC Rick Neuheisel for the GT job

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...foot_1130.html
Old 11-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #56
MJ4H
Coordinator

Wow Tubberville to Arkansas rumors are blowing up around here right now with apparently even some radio stations reporting it is a done deal.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:52 PM   #57
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
All I ever see about Ty is he can't recruit, but the team he left Weiss in ND was pretty good and he pulled in good classes at Washington. Yes, he had a losing record, but if the talent wasn't there, that's something that will happen before things turn around. Looking at the Pac-10, it's not like an average team is going to do well with USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St, and Oregon all being very talented.
USC and UCLA, by virtue of location, are always going to be talented. But the UW had more wins in both the '80's and '90's than any other Pac-10 school. During the UW's streak of 27 consecutive seasons without a losing record from '77-'03, they won more games than any other Pac-10 school. Coaching can overcome raw talent.

People look at the streak that the UW has been on since 2004 and assume, based on the records, that the team wasn't all that talented. I would submit to you that the 1-10 season in '04 that got Gilbertson fired, and which ended the 27 consecutive non-losing season streak, should've been an aberration. It wasn't a greatly talented team, but they shouldn't have lost 10 either. And the subsequent 2-9, 5-7 and now 4-8 records posted by Ty don't necessarily confirm that talent at the UW fell precipitously - it may just show that Ty isn't a very good coach either.

By my reckoning, Ty ranks below Pete Carroll, Jeff Tedford, Mike Bellotti, Dennis Erickson and Mike Riley in a list of Pac-10 coaches. You can also argue that Bill Doba (just fired/resigned) ranked ahead of him as well, and perhaps Mike Stoops. Jim Harbaugh also shows a lot of promise after his first season.

Even if you say Ty ranks 6th in a list of Pac-10 coaches, that's not good enough for a school with the resources and history of success (including very recent success) that the UW has.

Former UW QB Hugh Millen scoured NCAA coaching histories recently; he found that of the 1,832 coaching hires that have happened in Division 1-A football, 392 had a winning percentage of 36.0% or below. Ty has a winning percentage of 31.4%, so Millen is being kind to him in this exercise.

Of those 392 only 108 were asked back for their 4th year (27.6%).

Of those 108 only 34 of them were able to have a winning percentage of over 50% in year 4 and 5.

Of those 34 only 13 had a winning percentage at or above Jim Lambright’s career mark (63.6%) in year 4 and 5. Remember, Lambo was fired for that winning percentage.

So history suggests that there's less than a 9% chance that Ty will get to .500 his next 2 seasons, and just above a 3% chance he'll get to the level that got Jim Lambright fired at the UW.

Here's some more info - for those that talk about how well Ty did at Stanford, here's how Ty ranks among Pac-10 coaches since 1978 against teams with winning records:

Code:
COACH YRS W L W% Neuheisel 4 7 4 0.636 James 14 27 21 0.563 Tollner 4 8 7 0.533 Carroll 7 9 8 0.529 Donahue 18 28 29 0.491 Robinson 10 14 16 0.467 Smith 13 16 22 0.421 Tedford 6 7 12 0.368 Stoops 4 5 10 0.333 Bellotti 13 11 23 0.324 Toledo 7 7 15 0.318 Dorrell 5 4 9 0.308 Snyder 14 12 29 0.293 Erickson 7 5 13 0.278 Tomey 14 11 32 0.256 Rogers 5 4 12 0.250 Doba 5 4 13 0.235 Wiggin 4 4 13 0.235 Price 14 10 38 0.208 Brooks 17 12 48 0.200 Elway 5 4 16 0.200 Lambright 6 3 13 0.188 Gilbertson 6 4 18 0.182 Walden 9 6 29 0.171 Walsh 4 2 12 0.143 Marmie 4 2 12 0.143 Riley 7 3 19 0.136 Willingham 10 4 27 0.129 Holmoe 5 2 17 0.105 Koetter 6 2 18 0.100 Kragthorpe 6 2 19 0.095 Pettibone 6 2 20 0.091 Kapp 5 2 21 0.087 Avezzano 5 0 19 0.000

As for recruiting, Ty had a very good recruiting season (#5 by Scout.com) his 2nd class at Notre Dame (2003), the one that included Quinn, Samardzija, Zbikowski, Abiamiri, etc. And that class was a big part of the success Weis had his first 2 seasons. But recruiting dropped off significantly after that (#30 in '04). And he's never had a class ranked higher than #29 at the UW.

As a means of comparison, Ron Zook has outrecruited Ty every season since 2003. Both took over down programs in 2005, but Zook has outrecruited Ty and now, in his 3rd season at Illinois, has them at 9-3 and 2nd in the Big-10. Meanwhile, Ty took over a team that finished last in the Pac-10 the year before he arrived and has since finished tied for last, 2nd to last, and now last in the Pac-10.

What exactly does anyone think a 4th year for Ty at the UW is going to prove?

Last edited by dawgfan : 11-29-2007 at 04:54 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #58
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Brian Billick is pushing Ravens OC Rick Neuheisel for the GT job

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...foot_1130.html

Although I'd want him nowhere near a team I cheered for (unless something drastic needed to happen), I'd like to see how Neuheisel would do given another chance at a college head coaching position.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:12 PM   #59
MJ4H
Coordinator

Just went up another notch. Getting multiple source confirmations now. I'm going to go ahead and call this one. Tommy Tubberville is going to be the next coach of Arkansas. I honestly hope it is true, and it looks like it is.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #60
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Just went up another notch. Getting multiple source confirmations now. I'm going to go ahead and call this one. Tommy Tubberville is going to be the next coach of Arkansas. I honestly hope it is true, and it looks like it is.
Interesting. On the face of things, I'm wondering why Tuberville would want to make what appears to be a lateral move. But I seem to recall some friction between Tuberville and Auburn a few years back - weren't they trying to bring in Petrino to replace Tuberville?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #61
MJ4H
Coordinator

dola: its on the news now, but still listed as "the situation could change"

http://nwahomepage.com/content/fullt...b4478&cid=9240
Old 11-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #62
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I love how the same retread names get rolled out every season. It's a real blast and why I love college football politics so much.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 PM   #63
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Interesting. On the face of things, I'm wondering why Tuberville would want to make what appears to be a lateral move. But I seem to recall some friction between Tuberville and Auburn a few years back - weren't they trying to bring in Petrino to replace Tuberville?

Yes, I had heard earlier this year that he'd take another job in a heartbeat if he were offered one he liked.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #64
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I heard an interesting rumor today. Mike Shula to Duke. Some talking head was on one talk show down here and mentioned that. MJ4H, have you heard anything about Leach getting an interview with Arkansas? I have heard a few mentions of his name with that job.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 PM   #65
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

Tuberville is also from Camden, Arkansas. He pretty much had the Arkansas job ten years ago when Houston Nutt snuck in at the last minute.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:10 PM   #66
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
I heard an interesting rumor today. Mike Shula to Duke. Some talking head was on one talk show down here and mentioned that. MJ4H, have you heard anything about Leach getting an interview with Arkansas? I have heard a few mentions of his name with that job.

Mike Leach has been in a bunch of rumors, but I didn't read anything about an interview except from someone here. I think I was purposely staying away from the Mike Leach talk, if you get my drift. Too scary.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #67
JW
College Prospect

I am reading that it is not a done deal, matt, not yet. But you may hear something by Saturday. Remember the $6 million buyout. I read one thing that said Aub has until Saturday to offer Tubberville. LSU folks keeping a close eye on that one.

The coaching roster in the SEC West next year is going to quite impressive apparently.

As for LSU, no changes, except confirmation Michigan can talk to Miles. Everyone expects this means he is gone, but no one is certain. Rumors continue to fly about LSU's next coach. Nothing certain. And Miles returning is always a possibility.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:27 PM   #68
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
From what I've read/heard, he's only said that he hasn't talked to anyone at WSU. But from what I've read on some of y'alls boards, sounds like a lot of your fans aren't in favor of him coming back.
Jim Sterk, the WSU AD, was on the local radio last night. He said that while he himself hasn't talked with Price, Bill Moos has. Moos, a WSU alum and former WSU AD staffer before his stint at Oregon, has been retained by Sterk to help on the coaching search.

My guess is that Sterk isn't so hot on bringing Price back but is feeling pressure to include him in the search. Dunno if Price himself wants to return, but if he did, I'd assume it would already be a done deal if Sterk wanted him.

WSU probably needs to wrap up this search in the next week or so - they're waaaay behind on recruiting with only 3 guys committed currently according to Scout.com.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:43 PM   #69
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I love how the same retread names get rolled out every season. It's a real blast and why I love college football politics so much.

I kind of see what you are saying and agree to some extent, but I think with college football in particular, there is a huge advantage to having been a head coach in the past.

Nowadays, the job goes so far beyond just coaching football that I think having head coaching experience is almost mandatory if you are hiring at a BCS school. You almost need a CEO to manage gameday preparations, recruiting, managing the coaching staff efficiently (something that is often overlooked, but very important, in regards to time management and what is being taught in position drills), being a fundraiser and a mouthpiece for the program and University, implementing an offense and defense, etc.

If I'm hiring at a big-time school, I'm not considering anyone that has no head coaching experience. I want a guy that has had that experience and made their rookie mistakes already.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #70
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
I am reading that it is not a done deal, matt, not yet. But you may hear something by Saturday. Remember the $6 million buyout. I read one thing that said Aub has until Saturday to offer Tubberville. LSU folks keeping a close eye on that one.

Yes I believe I mentioned above it is not a done deal.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #71
JW
College Prospect

I understand. And here is something else that popped up on the LSU boards. Of course it is always hard to tell what is really going on.

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2007/11/...t_looking.html
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:12 PM   #72
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Jimbo Fisher is going to be named Head Coach - Elect if everything works out with his contract.

Everyone at FSU needs a fancy title.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:09 AM   #73
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
All I ever see about Ty is he can't recruit
I don't know about can't, but I can categorically say that after one season (where the groundwork was laid by Davie's staff, and the team got off to a great though illusory start), at ND he didn't recruit. The 2003 class which was all his and the 2004 class which was basically his responsibility (Weis came in too late to rescue it) were inadequate in both numbers and talent, notwithstanding scattered good players like Darius Walker.

Edit: Er, actually, I probably shouldn't say that the '02 class was started by Davie's staff. I'd guess it was mainly Willingham's work, because Willingham would have been in place from the spring of '02. Fact remains, though, the fast start that helped bring in that class was illusory, and the recruiting did fall off badly in both '03 and '04.

Quote:
but the team he left Weiss [sic] in ND was pretty good
He left the team short at least ten scholarship players this season, given that Weis was unwilling to take players in the '04-'05 class just to make up numbers. Some of that was attrition, but of the attrited, only Brandon Nicolas (now at Colorado) has contributed at the major D1 level. The team that Weis took over had good talent left over from Davie (inadequate coach but a decent recruiter) and Willingham's one good class, but said talent had also been mismanaged, witness Quinn's and Samardzija's emergence.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 11-30-2007 at 03:15 AM.
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:17 AM   #74
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Someone mentioned Butch Davis upthread, and it's interesting to note that in his worst season at Miami, he was operating short about ten scholarships due to NCAA probation. And his performance in that season was very similar to Weis's performance at ND this season, also short ten scholarships (due to lack of recruiting, in ND's case, rather than NCAA sanctions).

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 11-30-2007 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:27 AM   #75
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Well, for better or for worse, Ty just landed a major recruiting doubleplay for UW. Personally, I think this speaks volumes about how attractive the UW program can be in spite of circumstances. I'm sure Locker is a draw, of course, but...damn.

Quote:
LAKEWOOD, Wash. - Lakes TE Kavario Middleton and Lakes WR/S/KR Jermaine Kearse have verbally committed to Washington Wednesday over interest from many schools - including Oregon, California, Arizona State and Miami.

The two will make their thoughts official during a Friday press conference at Lakes High School, but Scout.com has confirmed their decision through a number of sources close to the process.

Middleton is ranked the No. 2 tight end in the country and the No. 1 player overall regardless of position in the northwest by Scout.com, and Kearse is ranked as the No. 26 receiver in the country
Old 11-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #76
miami_fan
Coordinator

Well you can't have it both ways. Either the guy can't recruit or he can. The only other option is the HC position in general does not have the juice that everyone thinks he has when it comes to recruiting. If he is going to be criticized when he is unable to get good players, then he has to get credit when he does.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:28 AM   #77
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

As I said, I don't know Ty's recruiting record outside of ND well enough to say that he can't recruit, I can only say that after his first season here, he didn't recruit.

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 11-30-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #78
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I kind of see what you are saying and agree to some extent, but I think with college football in particular, there is a huge advantage to having been a head coach in the past.

Nowadays, the job goes so far beyond just coaching football that I think having head coaching experience is almost mandatory if you are hiring at a BCS school. You almost need a CEO to manage gameday preparations, recruiting, managing the coaching staff efficiently (something that is often overlooked, but very important, in regards to time management and what is being taught in position drills), being a fundraiser and a mouthpiece for the program and University, implementing an offense and defense, etc.

If I'm hiring at a big-time school, I'm not considering anyone that has no head coaching experience. I want a guy that has had that experience and made their rookie mistakes already.

All good points. The CEO analogy is apt.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #79
larrymcg421
Head Coach

FYI, those two latest recruits to Washington move their recruiting class up to #18 in the nation.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #80
MJ4H
Coordinator

The morning after the Tuberville to Arkansas rumors exploded, things are a lot less clear. Rumor is now that the offer has been made and it is in Tuberville's court. Lots of stupid rumors going around about demands, denials, press conferences, and stuff. So far the only thing that stands out is there nobody's name getting thrown around like Tub's. If this isn't happening, it is either a major failure of negotiations or a smoke-screen like I've never seen.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #81
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
As I said, I don't know Ty's recruiting record outside of ND well enough to say that he can't recruit, I can only say that after his first season here, he didn't recruit.
He did reasonably well at Stanford. I'm not sure what the recruiting rankings were when he was there, but he put a lot of guys into the NFL. That said, recruiting to Stanford is a much different beast than recruiting to most schools - it's almost like they have a completely different set of prospects than everyone else. It's a truism that guys that qualify for Stanford are quite likely to choose Stanford, even if USC or some other big-time school is after them. Stanford's pool is much more limited, but they also have a much higher success rate, and they're able to recruit nationally much more effectively than most schools.

Ty's recruiting his last 2 seasons at Notre Dame were well below expectations there. And his first class at the UW was awful, though to be fair, when he took over in December the UW only had 2 commits and Gilby had basically stopped recruiting in October.

On the other hand, his recruiting results have trended upward his last 2 years at the UW, and with the commits of Middleton and Kearse (and the likely commits of Thompson and Ta'amu, the remaining in-state studs left), he could land the #3 class in-conference and a top-20, maybe top-15 class nationally.

My biggest beef with Ty is not his recruiting - it's what he does with those recruits. I don't see players developing as much as they should under his staff, and I don't often watch them play and think "Ty and his staff are out-coaching the guys on the other sideline".
Old 11-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #82
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
Well, for better or for worse, Ty just landed a major recruiting doubleplay for UW. Personally, I think this speaks volumes about how attractive the UW program can be in spite of circumstances. I'm sure Locker is a draw, of course, but...damn.
Yeah. Multiple factors at play here - the coach at that school is a big believer in Ty in particular and the UW in general. Kearse's dad was a big UW fan, both because of proximity and because he played H.S. football against Ty and Charlie Baggett (Ty's WR coach) in North Carolina, and when he died unexpectedly before the start of this season, it affected Jermaine in a big way (as you'd expect). Jermaine committing to the UW was as much a tribute to his dad as it was affirming his belief in what Ty is doing, the proximity, playing with Locker and being a part of trying to bring the UW back to prominence.

For Middleton, he's apparently been sold on the UW ever since he was first verbally offered a scholarship as a H.S. sophomore, and the proximity, playing with Locker and returning the UW to greatness were factors for him as well.

In past years, it would be pretty much expected the UW would land guys like these. But recent rumblings were that these guys were seriously considering ASU (Middleton) and Cal (Kearse), and had they committed elsewhere would've continued a disturbing trend of the UW whiffing on multiple major in-state studs.

Kudos to Ty and his staff for getting them to buy in, though it sounds like the decision for each one was about more than just Ty.

And yeah - it's things like this that prove to me that the UW enjoys a lot of inherent advantages over their Pacific NW rivals in terms of recruiting.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #83
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
smart move by Tom Osborn @ Nebraska...he named himself the "interim coach" so he could recruit and try to salvage a class for the Huskers

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3133259

I thought he did it because when he retires again, the coaches poll will reward Nebraska with another national championship.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #84
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Thumbs up

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7509634?MSNHPHMA

"Come after me. I'm a man. I'm forty!" gets a 1 year extension to 2013.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #85
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Taz -
what are you hearing about June Jones and the NFL? I read somewhere (can't remember now) that he'd like to get back there one more time...if so sounds like Dick Tomey (from SJSU) would come back to Hawaii....anything to it?
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #86
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
My biggest beef with Ty is not his recruiting - it's what he does with those recruits. I don't see players developing as much as they should under his staff, and I don't often watch them play and think "Ty and his staff are out-coaching the guys on the other sideline".

At ND, there were some obvious issues with player development, in terms of where the players (Quinn and Samardzija, most prominently, Stovall to a lesser extent) went after Ty left. On the other hand, he also provided enough of a fundamental base that Weis was able to come in, overlay scheme on top of that, and have an instant winner.

In terms of coaching, he would win games he shouldn't have, lose games he shouldn't have, and get pantsed by USC every year. Nobody in the ND camp thinks too much of his coordinators, Kent Baer (who's at UW) and Bill Diedrick (dunno if he's at UW or not).

Old 11-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #87
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
In terms of coaching, he would win games he shouldn't have, lose games he shouldn't have, and get pantsed by USC every year. Nobody in the ND camp thinks too much of his coordinators, Kent Baer (who's at UW) and Bill Diedrick (dunno if he's at UW or not).
At the UW, he's lost a number of games he shouldn't have (Stanford last year being the most egregious example) and has rarely beaten teams he shouldn't (Boise State? Cal?).

Even the fans that don't want to can him yet concede that Baer needs to go. This edition of Husky defense will rank as the worst ever in Husky history, eclipsing the 2005 unit (also coached by Baer).

Diedrick did not follow Ty to the UW. Diedrick had a previous stint at the UW as an offensive coordinator under Lambright, and he wasn't viewed favorably. It's been suggested that Ty was strongly encouraged to not bring Diedrick with him. The guy he ended up hiring, Tim Lappano (former OC under Dennis Erickson for a number of years) has been Ty's best hire and strongest assistant.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #88
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Taz -
what are you hearing about June Jones and the NFL? I read somewhere (can't remember now) that he'd like to get back there one more time...if so sounds like Dick Tomey (from SJSU) would come back to Hawaii....anything to it?

He recently made comments that the Patriots are doing a lot of the same things he does with his offense, so it appears that he's considering making the move back to the NFL. With Colt leaving this would certainly be the year for him to move on.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #89
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Taz -

I haven't read anything about going to the NFL. The only rumors I've seen regarding June Jones is that GTech might be interested but those rumors were before Gailey was let go and I haven't seen anything since. Also I read yesterday that if UCLA cans Dorrell then he might be a candidate for that job (also Norm Chow).

His contract runs out this summer but I really don't see him leaving unless the AD screws up the contract negotiations...

aw crap

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #90
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Syracuse has obviously never been a recruiting hotspot,

I take great exception to that statement. One would only say that if you think nothing happened before 10 years ago.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #91
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I take great exception to that statement. One would only say that if you think nothing happened before 10 years ago.

Well no one is counting lacrosse players
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #92
Blade6119
Coordinator

According to ESPN, its Pelini for Nebraska

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3135858
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #93
MJ4H
Coordinator

Getting some confirmation that the ball is in Tuberville's court for Arkansas. Auburn has made a counter-offer to keep TT and the decision should be made tomorrow or Sunday. Meanwhile, Arkansas is still interviewing other candidates. Lots of premature OMG CONFIRM'D crap last night, unfortunately, including from several news stations. Oh well.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #94
timmynausea
College Starter

I hope that one works out. I'd like to see what Tuberville could do at Arkansas.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #95
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Yes, some of us can remember not so far back when Syracuse was a football power.

A little reminder:

http://www.suathletics.com/sports/fo...yrfootball.asp
Old 11-30-2007, 10:32 PM   #96
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
According to ESPN, its Pelini for Nebraska

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3135858

Heard that too. What does LSU do if Miles does bolt?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #97
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Heard that too. What does LSU do if Miles does bolt?

Rumors down here are flying. They include Steve Spurrier, Jimmy Johnson (he's apparently been spotted in town), and a few other names that are escaping my mind right now.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:41 PM   #98
Dave66
n00b

Subject: POSTED ON THE TIGER LAIR TODAY...TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH.....

THIS WAS SENT TO ME...I AM CLUELESS BUT THOUGHT YOU MIGHT WANT TO READ THE EMAIL..CDD

1- Pellini is taking the Nebraska job. It was done in the last 2 days but has been worked on for a few weeks. They did not know about Arkansas meeting with Pellini.
2- Something happened this weekend at LSU. Miles stepped up efforts for the Michigan job and has people rallying others for support. The feeling is mutual with a few big time donors and skip. Both parties are wanting to go separate ways. LSU knows it cannot fire him so they hope he takes the job to Michigan. It is a mutual feeling of hope for separation. BTW, Bertman didn't know about the Pellini interview and blew a gasket internally. It was ugly.

3- My sources have spoken with agents and as of a few days ago, Spurrier was not interested in the LSU job. Now, that can change and change quickly. Right now, Spurrier is not interested no matter what you read. That comes from the agents.

4- Brace yourself and do not shoot the messenger. There are 3 big time donors at LSU and some BOS who want 1 person back at LSU. I have said it and said it. Here is the deal, 3 million per year for 10 years with a 10 million+ buyout. For a man that doesn't do buyouts, that is huge. They verified the wife wanted her house back and they verified the powers that be feel a shock will be felt but a few wins will replace the shock. I will not type his name because some may throw their computer. BTW, this goes with what was posted earlier about money and contracts and my sources have never heard of the lair.

5- Tommy Tubberville wants the Arkansas job. He secretly put feelers out to return to Ole Miss. I kid you not. He wants out of Auburn bad. There is a secret deal at Auburn between Bobby Lowder and Bobby Petrino and Tubberville will not have to pay the buyout if he leaves. The question is does Arkansas want him. He wants the LSU job but doesn't think he can get it. Jimmy is pushing Saban. Stay tuned for this one.

6- Back to Miles. I saved the best for last. If Michigan does not have a coach by Friday, Les Miles will be named their new HC next week. Ferentz is in the picture but it is to help leverage a better long term deal and facility upgrade at Iowa. There are some people at Michigan who are old friends helping him get more out of Iowa. It appears Miles will be the man at Michigan and skip is aware of Mac and Miles stepping up efforts for the job but again, the feelings are mutual.

Now, take this for what it's worth. My 2 sources do not know each other and both confirmed all 6 issues including Tubberville and Ole Miss. They know what is going on behind close doors. Now, I am a messenger here. Out of the 90k that sits in Death Valley, we make up a small % on this board. The powers that be and make the decisions don't really care about us and will do what they want. The feeling is 90% or higher only care about winning and all will be okay with a MNC. With that said, post away.
Dave66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:43 PM   #99
Dave66
n00b

That last post came out this past Tuesday in Baton Rouge
Dave66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:41 PM   #100
JeeberD
General Manager

Washington State has contacted Mike Price, but they haven't talked yet.

Washington State contacts Price, no interviews yet
By Bret Bloomquist / El Paso Times
Article Launched: 11/30/2007 01:42:15 PM MST

Not suprsingly, Washington State's search for a new football coach has reached El Paso.

UTEP coach Mike Price, who led the Cougars to Rose Bowls in 1997 and 2002, indicated he has been contacted by Bill Moos, who leads Washington State's advisory search committee for a new football coach.

Price said no interviews have been set up and there is no timetable for him to get in contact with Washington State athletic director Jim Sterk or any other Washington State officials.

"We didn't get that far," Price said. "It's real preliminary. ... "I work for UTEP. I'll be in California (today) to scout a junior college game."

When asked if he expressed interest in the job, Price said, "We didn't get that far."

Moos, who was Oregon's athletic director from 1994 to 2006, was an associate athletic director at WSU from 1988-90 and was on the search committee that hired Price as coach in 1989.

While Price hasn't talked with Washington State officials other than Moos, he has talked with plenty of alums in the past few days.

"The phone has been ringing off the hook with former players," he said.

One of his most famous former players, former No. 2 NFL draft pick Ryan Leaf, said Price would be perfect for Washington State.

"For Cougar football, it couldn't get better than Coach Price," said Leaf, who is now an offensive assistant at West Texas A&M in Canyon. "There are definitely a ton of people who back coach Price, as well they should. He went to two Rose Bowls in

five years. This may be the toughest place to recruit in the Pac 10 and he knows how to do it. He know how to fund raise. He knows how to wear all those hats, as you know from El Paso."

At the same time, Leaf knows Price's love of El Paso is genuine.

"I want him to be happy whatever he does and he's extremely happy in El Paso," Leaf said. "It will be interesting, but he seems very, very content now."

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote