Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #51
Blade6119
Coordinator

He must have watched the Mizzou bowl game thrashing and realized he didnt want to go to that bad of a defense after all.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:02 AM   #52
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Clemson landed a 5* LB for their 9th commitment, 4 of which are top 100....Tommy its time to put up....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #53
Swaggs
Coordinator

The ACC is certainly ripe for the taking.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #54
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Michigan add's another 4 star, this time Illinois OT Michael Scholfield (not from Prison Break). Rumor is he is a package deal with another four star OT Zac Martin, so that would be huge for UM who needs at least 4 kid OL this class.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #55
Logan
Head Coach

Schiano picked up numbers 11 and 12 of the class in the past couple days. Today brought WR/DB Aaron Hayward (4* Scout/3* Rivals). He was one of the best RBs in NJ but will make a position switch at the next level. He held offers from PSU, Pitt, WVU, UNC, Maryland, and UVA.

Yesterday, we landed WR Mark Harrison. The guy somehow just started playing football a year ago despite being 6'4", 220, and running a 4.38 40. Hasn't been heavily recruited but he was apparently among the first wave of guys Schiano offered this year, so I'll trust his judgement that those freakish measurables will translate.

Filling up fast...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #56
Logan
Head Coach

Bump for 4-star (Scout) safety Duron Harmon making Lucky Number 13.

edit: Won't give a real bump but #14 just came in -- a fullback who we're still waiting for more info on.

Last edited by Logan : 06-19-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #57
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Bump for 4-star (Scout) safety Duron Harmon making Lucky Number 13.

edit: Won't give a real bump but #14 just came in -- a fullback who we're still waiting for more info on.

The fullback had offers from Maryland, Pitt, Syracuse, Temple and a couple 1-AAs. Should be a solid pickup.

We could be all full by the beginning of the season.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #58
Logan
Head Coach

Ahem...#15, Malcolm Bush. Really nice TE who Schiano wanted a lot. How bout all full by July 4th?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #59
timmynausea
College Starter

WVU got a couple of quality RB commits over the past week. The tiny and ridiculously fast Daquan Hargett out of Miami with offers from Clemson, USF and Minn, and the 220 pound power back Shawne Alston out of VA with offers from Penn State, Illinois and Maryland.

The Big East recruiting picture is interesting. Rutgers is absolutely killing, and WVU is off to arguably their best start in school history. USF has a couple really nice commits, though just 5 total. (The Florida kids often commit later, so the Bulls class is harder to judge for now.) Meanwhile Pitt has just 2 commits (with one BCS offer between them.) Louisville only has 1. Syracuse has 1. It's really looking like after the ACC raid and ensuing chaos, Rutgers and WVU will emerge as the Eastern powers.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #60
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
WVU got a couple of quality RB commits over the past week. The tiny and ridiculously fast Daquan Hargett out of Miami with offers from Clemson, USF and Minn, and the 220 pound power back Shawne Alston out of VA with offers from Penn State, Illinois and Maryland.

The Big East recruiting picture is interesting. Rutgers is absolutely killing, and WVU is off to arguably their best start in school history. USF has a couple really nice commits, though just 5 total. (The Florida kids often commit later, so the Bulls class is harder to judge for now.) Meanwhile Pitt has just 2 commits (with one BCS offer between them.) Louisville only has 1. Syracuse has 1. It's really looking like after the ACC raid and ensuing chaos, Rutgers and WVU will emerge as the Eastern powers.

I think alot of kids are taking a wait and see with Pitt and Syracuse. Pitt in the past few years got alot of commits early, but I think this year alot of the kids want to be shown, and everyone knows Robinson is in big trouble at Syracuse.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #61
General Mike
Pro Starter

Gerald Hodges (Paulsboro, NJ) to Rutgers. He is rated 4* and the #3 WLB on Scout.com, and 3*, 5.7 #19 Safety on Rivals. According to Rivals he had offers from BC, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, Penn State, Pitt, Syracuse, Tennessee and WVU.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #62
Logan
Head Coach

He was considered a must-get by Schiano. Fantastic. We're killing in South Jersey/PA, which is awesome.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #63
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Arkansas Five Star DB Darius Winston decommits from The Razorbacks today and names Michigan his new leader.

Looks like Coach Rod broke out the ole wizard hat and snake oil once again...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #64
Logan
Head Coach

I will no longer be the best Logan to graduate from Rutgers.

Logan Ryan should be a lock-down corner and becomes our 17th commit. Offers from BC, WVU, UVA, Iowa, MD, Mich St, etc.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #65
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC got their 13th recruit. Torin Harris, a CB from Las Vegas who runs a 4.37 and has a 43 inch vertical.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #66
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

Logan Ryan should be a lock-down corner and becomes our 17th commit. Offers from BC, WVU, UVA, Iowa, MD, Mich St, etc.

Amazing.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #67
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Hargrett looks like he'll be solid. He was one of two runningbacks that Minnesota fans were hoping to land as our 2nd back in this class after Hargrett said a while ago his top 2 were WVU and Minnesota. Great speed, should fit very well in the spread option. Hopefully now RB Eric Stephens will land with the Gophers, who he named as his leader last month.

Still not much activity recently for Minnesota. They did land an instate player who got an offer attending camp that will likely be a fullback or tight end.

I believe QB commit Moses Alipate will be at an Elite 11 tryout tomorrow at UNLV. An ESPN article today named him as a player who has a good chance of being invited to the Elite 11 camp.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #68
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm amazed at how much of a boost one good season can give to football recruiting at a school. Mizzou has all kinds of kids actually calling them because they want to play in Mizzou's spread offense. Before this year, Mizzou would have never had any kids calling them; they had to seek out kids that would play at Mizzou. I can only imagine what kind of players that they'll be able to land if they can repeat the success of last year's team.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #69
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Not really harping on you, but every commit to Rutgers seems to be a star in the making...?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #70
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This week, 3 star LB Jordan Barnes will be committing to Michigan. Kid has sick measurables. His production in HS hasn't matched his athletic ability but let's hope he can pick it up this season.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #71
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, UM commit QB Kevin Newsome is transfering to the Hargrave Military Academy to focus on improving his mechanics and to play against better competition. Should be interesting.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #72
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Not really harping on you, but every commit to Rutgers seems to be a star in the making...?

Understand you're not harping on me, but I looked back and I used "lock down" to describe Ryan (which I believe), and "stud" to describe both Savage and Scott (also believe -- Savage being one of the first 4 QBs invited to Elite 11 and Scott being heavily recruited by SEC country). Everything else I said was nothing more than a statement of star rating, offers, or that the kid was on Schiano's "tier one" list.

This will probably be a top 15 class nationally. I think there will be more than a few stars in it.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #73
hoopsguy
General Manager

In non-Rutgers news, Ohio State is up to 22 recruits right now. They are just cleaning house in the Midwest. Right now, the Big Ten recruiting season is OSU dominating, PSU and Michigan compiling strong classes, and everyone else more or less watching.

My Illini picked up their 3rd commit over the weekend, but I think the best news is that OSU is hoping to have filled their class by July 4th. Once that happens maybe Illinois will be able to get some of their "leftovers", a number who happen to be pretty talented kids. It sounds like Ohio was particularly deep this year.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #74
Logan
Head Coach

I saw OSU picked up their 5th and 6th defensive back commit today.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #75
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Dola, UM commit QB Kevin Newsome is transfering to the Hargrave Military Academy to focus on improving his mechanics and to play against better competition. Should be interesting.

It sounds like some close to him are trying to steer him away from U of M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian Pilot
Newsome's switch from Western Branch to Hargrave, though, might not be his last move. Former Bruins coach Lew Johnston, a close family friend of the Newsomes, said colleges have continued to recruit the talented quarterback even after his Michigan commitment.

Virginia Tech, a team Newsome grew up rooting for, is among those suitors.

"I thought when he picked Michigan, he jumped the gun a little bit, and I was disappointed," Johnston said. "I told him that."

Johnston is not a big fan of Wolverines coach Rich Rodriguez, who told Newsome he was "their guy" and then continued to recruit several other top quarterbacks. Michigan received a second QB commitment just days after Newsome's pledge.

"We're very close, and I've told him I'd like to see him stay closer to home," Johnston said. "I'm not going to push it, but there's something about playing in your home state."

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/06/foot...grave-military

Personally, I think Michigan is a perfect fit for him. He is an insane athlete, but he has a long way to go as a passer. RR would definitely utilize his strengths, and he could be a huge star as a Wolverine, whereas I can imagine him struggling in more balanced offenses.

On the other hand, back when Newsome committed to U of M and Tajh Boyd committed to WVU I said I was shocked that VT let both get out of VA. I'd definitely rather see Newsome flop to VT than lose Boyd.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #76
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
It sounds like some close to him are trying to steer him away from U of M.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/06/foot...grave-military

Personally, I think Michigan is a perfect fit for him. He is an insane athlete, but he has a long way to go as a passer. RR would definitely utilize his strengths, and he could be a huge star as a Wolverine, whereas I can imagine him struggling in more balanced offenses.

On the other hand, back when Newsome committed to U of M and Tajh Boyd committed to WVU I said I was shocked that VT let both get out of VA. I'd definitely rather see Newsome flop to VT than lose Boyd.

I like Newsome, but I am not losing sleep over this one. Tate Foricer wants to go to Michigan. If RichRod says "Here is your offer", Tate will jump in a second. Also, Eugene Smith, a four star out of Florida always has high interest in UM.

I like Newsome most of the three, but there is not much dropoff imo.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:22 AM   #77
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
In non-Rutgers news, Ohio State is up to 22 recruits right now. They are just cleaning house in the Midwest. Right now, the Big Ten recruiting season is OSU dominating, PSU and Michigan compiling strong classes, and everyone else more or less watching.

Michigan State has a strong start to their class, loading up on some solid local prospects and one from Ohio.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #78
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Tate Foricer wants to go to Michigan. If RichRod says "Here is your offer", Tate will jump in a second.

Uhhh, Michigan already has offered Forcier and he didnt jump. And id imagine having an older brother who went to michigan only to transfer back the the west later doesnt exactly bode well. Its entirely possible Tate will end up at michigan, but i would say its its a fair ways away from the lock your chalking it up as.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #79
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I agree 100% with what Blade said.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #80
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

This will probably be a top 15 class nationally. I think there will be more than a few stars in it.

I don't know about that one. This is easily the best recruiting class in Rutgers history, but if you look at what past top 15 classes on Rivals.com have consisted of, it will be hard to achieve.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #81
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Uhhh, Michigan already has offered Forcier and he didnt jump. And id imagine having an older brother who went to michigan only to transfer back the the west later doesnt exactly bode well. Its entirely possible Tate will end up at michigan, but i would say its its a fair ways away from the lock your chalking it up as.

Tate is going to go through with his visits I am sure but his dad is a UM Grad and most insiders say If RichRod called Tate and said "you're our #1 guy", he'd be a lock to Ann Arbor.

I think he's going to wind up at Michigan, Oregon or Florida.

As far as Eugene Smith goes, he is a similiar case by all accounts. He would likely commit to UM if they're serious about letting him compete as the #1 QB.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #82
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, the reason Tate's brother transfered was because he didn't get along with Scott Loefler, the old QB coach. The dad loves Michigan and pushes the kids in that direction, but I know there were problems with Loefler. With him gone now, UM seems free and clear.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #83
DeToxRox
Head Coach

3 star athlete makes Dwayne Peace from Texas joins 3 stat LB Jordan Barnes of Indiana as commits 11 and 12 for Michigan today. Barnes is a kid with great measurables (6'2, 220 lbs, 4.5 forty, 38 inch vert) who is now growing into his body. He picked UM over Bama.

Peace was a commit who was WR MVP of the Nike Texas camp, and was one of the five best at Michigan's camp. Apparently they're looking at him as a DB, but he has the ability to play WR. He chose UM over Kansas and A&M.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #84
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Dola, the reason Tate's brother transfered was because he didn't get along with Scott Loefler, the old QB coach. The dad loves Michigan and pushes the kids in that direction, but I know there were problems with Loefler. With him gone now, UM seems free and clear.

Jason also just really wanted to play. It was obvious he was passed on the depth chart and wasnt going to see much PT barring injuries. The old staff actually helped him find a good fit someplace else. There are no hard feelings by Jason's or the rest of the family.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #85
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

My Illini picked up their 3rd commit over the weekend, but I think the best news is that OSU is hoping to have filled their class by July 4th. Once that happens maybe Illinois will be able to get some of their "leftovers", a number who happen to be pretty talented kids. It sounds like Ohio was particularly deep this year.

Looks like OSU is up to 24 now.

Some Illini related news, punter Dan Orseske was offered by Minnesota and thinks he'll get an Illinois offer soon. He wants to commit this week, could likely be chosing between Minnesota and Illinois if they come through with an offer.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #86
hoopsguy
General Manager

The Illini are up to four recruits now, after picking up a DB out of Washington DC.

I'll be mildly surprised if the Illini are using one of their 18 scholarships (14 remaining) on a punter this year.

You were correct on MSU - hadn't heard much about them lately, but they did snap up some guys earlier.

Oh, and from what I've read lately it doesn't look like either Minnesota or Illinois is going to end up as the winner of the Wingo sweepstakes.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:04 PM   #87
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh, and from what I've read lately it doesn't look like either Minnesota or Illinois is going to end up as the winner of the Wingo sweepstakes.

It's never seemd Minnesota has had a real good shot at Wingo, but at the very least he's said recently he still plans on visiting Minneapolis. It does look like Missouri is the big favorite at this point, I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up there from what I've read. Would be nice to get him, but at least the Gophers have one solid back lined up and they should be able to land another decent one for the other RB they want this class. Last I'd read from Eric Stephens he still has Minnesota in the lead.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #88
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
It's never seemd Minnesota has had a real good shot at Wingo, but at the very least he's said recently he still plans on visiting Minneapolis. It does look like Missouri is the big favorite at this point, I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up there from what I've read. Would be nice to get him, but at least the Gophers have one solid back lined up and they should be able to land another decent one for the other RB they want this class. Last I'd read from Eric Stephens he still has Minnesota in the lead.

I actually dont think Mizzou is that big if any of a favorite for Wingo over OU or Arkansas(his most recent stated favorites, which seems to change daily based on who is asking), i just think Mizzou is the big favorite for his cousin which could have a major effect on where Wingo ends up.
Demotivation
Old 06-25-2008, 01:06 AM   #89
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Looks like OSU is up to 24 now.

Some Illini related news, punter Dan Orseske was offered by Minnesota and thinks he'll get an Illinois offer soon. He wants to commit this week, could likely be chosing between Minnesota and Illinois if they come through with an offer.

I'm sorry for this post, I had committed to calling them University of Ohio State as long as Terrelle Pryor is there. I will do better in the future.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #90
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
That article is making something out of nothing...Newsome isn't coming to VT. He may not go to Michigan, but I seriously doubt he ends up in Blacksburg. Both he and Boyd made it clear that early playing time was an important piece of their decision making process...and that's probably not going to happen at VT since Tyrod has three more years. I'd love to have either of of the two, but we're just not a good fit for them.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #91
Logan
Head Coach

#18 for Rutgers, and don't worry, I won't use any adjectives. WR Shawney Kersey, 6'2", 190, runs a 4.4-4.5. 3* with offers from WVU, UVA, Iowa, Mich St.

After Aaron Hayward committed, he told a South Jersey paper that he was going to get two South Jersey kids to join him, and he got both (Kersey and Hodges).
Old 06-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #92
Logan
Head Coach

Mizzou picked up a dual threat QB, Ashton Glaser, who is a bit under the radar, but has seen his recruitment by big schools pick up lately, according to another board I read.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #93
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Mizzou picked up a dual threat QB, Ashton Glaser, who is a bit under the radar, but has seen his recruitment by big schools pick up lately, according to another board I read.

He was the successor to Mustain at Springdale HS in Arkansas, but i really feel like this was a desperation move to some extent. We just lost both of our underclassman QBs on the roster to transfers, so once Daniel/Patton graduate we would have just no depth behind our two star QB recruits in Gabbert from the last class and Dalton from this one. If im not mistaken, our 2nd QB transfer took place early this week and Glaser got an offer early this week. So read it how you will. Glaser may turn out to actually be pretty talented, but its all a little coincidental to me.

On the lighter side, he is commit #13 for Mizzou, and while that may not keep up with rutgers, its still a massive leap from the same time last year in terms of commits. We landed most of the in-state kids already, so now its the out of staters that we have to work on.
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 06-26-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #94
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Hey USC......Teo is ours......Keep the Booster money out of the equation!

Signed,

A bunch of crazy BYU fans that think we have a shot vs USC........

Honestly, I hope the kid commits to BYU, but how can he when he has USC knocking on the door showing the players they have sent. The only factors I can see him choosing BYU over USC...

1) Family, we just got his cousin from UNLV and have another member looking to walk-on

2) Religion - He truly plans on taking his mission and honestly wants to. If he goes to USC, they will talk him out of it like they have the others.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #95
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Teo isn't a definite USC lock, but all indications are that he is likely to be coming to us.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #96
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Teo isn't a definite USC lock, but all indications are that he is likely to be coming to us.

His decision is actually down between USC and BYU. I don't see how you guys won't get him.

Especially after Kaveinga fiasco last season (He committed to us, told us he would sign, then switched to USC) I have no faith in competing against USC when it comes to recruiting right now.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #97
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of USC recruiting, the recent video of Matt Barkley from USC's Rising Star Camp (that ran yesterday and today) is unfreakingbelievable. He has such a strong arm with amazing accuracy for a high school kid, looks like he would put most college QB's to shame right now. He also made great reads on every single play in 11 on 11 drills. I think he is going to break the mold of USC QB's having to wait their turn, and piss off Mustain in the process.

Also, I don't think this is a secret since the camp is open to the public - Joe Montana was there working with the USC staff. Huge shock considering his ND connection, but apparently he has several friends on the USC staff. Figure star power like that can't hurt recruiting for those undecided players at the camp.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #98
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I have no faith in competing against USC when it comes to recruiting right now.

I dont think any program in the country does...at least not any im aware of.
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 06-26-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #99
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Ben Axon committs to Clemson, turning down USC, FSU, Florida, OSU, and WVU....

I have no idea how we convince a RB to come here with the log jam we have...but a great get none the less.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #100
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
His decision is actually down between USC and BYU. I don't see how you guys won't get him.

Especially after Kaveinga fiasco last season (He committed to us, told us he would sign, then switched to USC) I have no faith in competing against USC when it comes to recruiting right now.

BYU has a few of his relatives on the team/or committed, which works in their favor. That said, Carroll has a way of getting in there last minute and working whatever magic he works.

I think it is 50/50 right now with BYU having the advantage of Teo's whole family behind BYU, while Kavienga's was split. USC's advantage....well they are USC.

With three 4 star commits already locked in for 2009 and 2-3 more likely to sign, Teo would make this BYU's best class ever.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 06-27-2008 at 08:05 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote