Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #51
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
So I played a round on Tuesday...

On a long par 5, I hit a drive down the middle, took out a 4-iron and blasted a shot up next to water (with the green on the other side) and was sitting great. Then I dumped my 3rd shot in the water, penalty (4), rehit and hit the back of the green (5), crazy long 60-70 foot putt (6), then missed an 8 footer, and ended up with an *EIGHT*

GOD I HATE THIS GAME!

Then on the next hole I drop a sliced drive into the woods, I find my ball and don't have a shot at the green, so I play it back to the fairway but overshoot it into the woods on the other side...then from the woods and through trees I chip the ball about 50 yards to about 6 inches from the cup.

PAR.

Now I'm a golf pro again and ready for more.
That sounds like my round I played at Pinehurst last night on Tiger Woods 2010!

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #52
JS19
College Prospect

So, I bought a new set of irons not too long ago, but I'm starting to think I may have made the wrong decision. I went with a set of Nike irons, 4 iron through A wedge, but I am extremely inconsistent hitting my 4 and 5 irons. I've always done much better hitting a 3 or 4 hybrid, instead of the irons. My ego says, you just bought these, man up and learn how to hit them consistently, but my golf game says chalk it up as poor decision making and find some decent hybrids. What do you guys prefer, irons or the hybrids?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #53
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
So, I bought a new set of irons not too long ago, but I'm starting to think I may have made the wrong decision. I went with a set of Nike irons, 4 iron through A wedge, but I am extremely inconsistent hitting my 4 and 5 irons. I've always done much better hitting a 3 or 4 hybrid, instead of the irons. My ego says, you just bought these, man up and learn how to hit them consistently, but my golf game says chalk it up as poor decision making and find some decent hybrids. What do you guys prefer, irons or the hybrids?

I don't know why, but I've always felt like using hybrids was cheating. Granted I know it's not, and I do LOVE the way I hit them, but I've never owned one. It's taken me about 4 years to be able to hit my 3-4 irons, but it feels awesome when I do! And even then, I miss-hit them 1/3 of the time.

The other major factor in me not using hybrids, if my grandfather saw me hitting them, he'd slap me across the head. I'm only 24, so all my buddies hit em, eventually I'll break down I'm sure.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #54
DanGarion
Coordinator

So the 6 iron I got from Pinemeadow seems off. It has a much higher frequency ping when I hit with it and the shots seem to feel off.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #55
JS19
College Prospect

I'm the same way, Sublime. I just don't feel right using hybrids, although I hit them extremely well. It's probably idiotic not to use them and stick with the irons, as I'm sure I can shave a few strokes off my game, but like I said before, I just bought a new set of irons so I'm gonna force myself to hit the 4 and 5 and hope for the best.

Another question for you guys, what golf balls do you use/prefer? My buddy recommended srixon, and I don't know what their "claim to fame" is, but they are working for me. I asked the guy at the golf shop about the pro-v's, and he pretty much told me I'm not good enough to waste my money on them. He said, "yea, they are a great ball and do add a considerable amount of distance, but instead of hitting the ball left and right, you will just hit the ball further left and right". Like he said, I don't consider myself good enough to really worry about what ball I'm using, so long it doesn't explode on impact, I'll usually use whatever.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #56
Dutch
"Dutch"

Better equipment will always make you do better. Of course, it's all relative to your starting point.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #57
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Need some advice. I've been golfing for a few years. I'm terrible. High 90s, and even into the 100's quite a bit. I average about once every couple of weeks though. I want that to change this year. I am thinking about picking up a membership and going every day, weather permitting.

The kicker is that the clubs I use are junk. Probably not even a full set, mixed brands, and just old old old. That, and the inconsistent playing obviously makes for a terrible game.

Is it possible to get a set, with bag, for sub 400? Cheaper then 400 would be awesome as well. I've been browsing the web and I've checked out the PineMeadowGolf site that was posted earlier in this thread. I liked what I saw, but was just wondering if anybody else knew of a good, complete, starter set. The PineMeadow is possible, but it's just slightly more then I am looking to spend. But I'll probably end up going that route anyways...

Outside of that, a couple quick questions. Are there any other sites you guys like to order equipment and what not off of? I am looking at getting some shoes and maybe a couple other items and was just wondering where you guys tend to go. I live in a small town so there's not really a good store locally.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #58
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i wouldn't go starter set. particularly if you plan on playing a lot. i've worked at a couple pro shops and the biggest mistake people make is trying to get everything at once.

the adams stuff is pretty good and inexpensive. i've seen new sets of irons on sale at dick's for 149.

if you're patient you can probably go all brand name, brand new for around 400-500.

irons 150
3&5 wood set 100
driver (used) 100
bag 50
shoes 35
putter 30-50

those are the price points i'd look for in brand name stuff. taylor made, cleveland, cobra, adams, callaway
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #59
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Should I go 10 or 12 degree on the driver?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #60
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

10, 10.5 is pretty standard. 12 is an irregular number and is made for people with hellacious slices. the more loft the less side spin created. if you're hitting it that far sideways just skip the driver and tee off with a 3.

regular flex graphite shaft, 10.5 deg is about perfect for 95% of amateurs.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #61
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Thanks for the advice, Norv.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:01 AM   #62
chesapeake
College Starter

Although a change in equipment can shave a few strokes from your game, don't expect it to be huge change. You should seriously consider getting a lesson or four from a teaching pro if you want to make a big improvement in your game. It isn't nearly as sexy as a hot, new driver, but it will have a much more positive impact on your game over the long term.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #63
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Although a change in equipment can shave a few strokes from your game, don't expect it to be huge change. You should seriously consider getting a lesson or four from a teaching pro if you want to make a big improvement in your game. It isn't nearly as sexy as a hot, new driver, but it will have a much more positive impact on your game over the long term.

That would be my advice, too...and something you should do BEFORE buying new sticks.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #64
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Thought I'd probe the general knowledge of the board before I make the plunge, here's the situation...

I'm about a 22, consistently in the mid-90s. A thoroughly average (or even below average) golfer. I'm right handed, and play very left-to-right; I have a bit of a fade on most of my irons, and a pretty wicked slice on my driver (most likely a timing issue...my hips tend to open up early). I also tend to be very short on almost all my clubs - mostly because I'm trying to control the slice, so I take quite a bit off of my swing with my driver and longer irons. My set right now is actually not my own; mine were stolen from my car, and this is a set that was "liberated" from a car my dad's dealership took on trade. It consists of:
  • 9.5 Degree McHenry TourPure driver. Very small head, looks like a club from the early 90's. It's smaller than most of my friends' fairway woods.
  • Wilson Deep Red Irons, 3 through 9. I actually play these pretty well, but I don't know whether they fit my game or not.
  • Wilson Deep Red Pitching Wedge. No idea of the degree of loft.
  • Tour Design (?) Putter. I average a shade over 2 putts per hole, no need to fix what's not broken.

I've been golfing on a more regular basis now, and am about to join a local men's club to play more often and even enter some local tournaments. This being the case, I'm starting to actively try to improve my golf game, and new clubs seem to be high on the list of things to do.
  • I'd like to do this economically, although I'm not strapped for cash. I want to buy new clubs, but they don't necessarily need to be bleeding edge technology; last year's model (or even a few years ago) is totally fine with me.
  • With only 10 clubs in my bag at the moment, the first order of business is to fill my bag...but with what? I'm thinking at least one fairway wood (there is a significant gap between Driver and 3 Iron) and a Sand or Lob Wedge, but that still leaves me with two other clubs to throw in the bag. I'm thinking a 3 Wood, 5 Wood or Hybrid, a Lob Wedge and a Sand Wedge, but am also open to suggestions.
  • The biggest replacement I want to do is my driver. I could really use a more forgiving clubface than the tiny one I'm using now. My irons I actually don't mind much, but I will eventually want to get some that suit my game better.
  • I have no idea where to go to buy clubs. Golfsmith? A local Pro Shop (seems like an awful idea)?
  • Along the lines of the last point, I'd also like to have these clubs fit to me, but have no idea where to get this done.
  • I've been toying around with the idea of taking lessons; I'd really like to get rid of that slice, and I can't imagine it would be all THAT hard to do with an instructor and some practice. Should I hold off on buying clubs until I've corrected the problem?

I'm open to any and all suggestions!
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #65
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Thread necromancy here...was going to start a new thread, then remembered this one. I had all that typed out before I read the responses to Scoobz's post, which sounds an awful lot like mine. Didn't really feel like making all of that typing wasted though, so there it is

So the consensus seems to be to go out and get some lessons before buying new clubs. You guys know of any good resources to use before picking where I go to get lessons?

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 04-15-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #66
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

your irons are fine. get a used driver off ebay (i checked used at 100 bucks and there's a million options)

maybe grab a 16 or 18 utility for your 3/4/5 wood. and a cheapo sand wedge.

you don't need a full bag. i don't play with one.

lessons aren't always the cure all. you can pick up hogan's five fundamentals in paperback for like 5 bucks most places. cheaper than a lesson and you'll always have it.

go to the range, set up and take a half step forward with your left leg and a half step back with your right. this'll fix your hips and force you to come in at a steeper angle and ultimately close the face on the follow through.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #67
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Just setting up like that and taking a few practice cuts feels really weird. I'll have to try it out though, thanks.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #68
chesapeake
College Starter

Harvey Penick's cure for a slice:
"5. Play ball
Pretend you're at home plate. Aim your body slightly right of second base, but aim your clubface straight at the base. Come down the line on plane and hit a hard fly ball over the shortstop by rotating your left forearm. (Harvey Penick, 1992)"

His "Little Red Book" is also a good thing to have.

However, it didn't cure my slice. My problem was that I wasn't rotating my shoulders very much. A pro id'd my specific problem in about 2 minutes. Hence, I am a fan of lessons Your mileage may vary. Golf Digest usually does a yearly thing where you can get a free 30 minute lesson with a pro. You may want to keep an eye out for that.

I agree with NTO's suggestion to check out ebay for a better driver. Just make sure the shaft isn't too stiff. All of us like to think that we can generate power like the pros do. But the fact is, we can't. Some flex in the shaft can really help.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #69
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

So quick question, can I really expect my game to improve with a new putter? I have an older (8-9 y.o.) Mizuno putter that I've never really had problems with, but it seems like every one of my buddies now has a space ship attached to a shaft. Do these inserts/grooves on the new putters really make a difference?
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #70
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

My opinion is that putting is all about a consistent stroke and confidence. What you have on the end of your putter shaft doesn't make a lot of difference.

If you are comfortable with your 8 or 9 year old putter, no need to drop a hundred bucks a new one.
dwardzala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #71
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I think a lot of the reason I have been reluctant to get lessons to this point is that I've been working on my golf game since I started playing about 15 years ago. I feel like a lesson would more than likely break me down completely and start me over from scratch - which is probably exactly what I need, but frustrating since I'm just now starting to challenge that 90 stroke barrier consistently.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #72
chesapeake
College Starter

From what you've said, you're struggling to control your slice and you have to sacrifice a lot of distance in order to stay playable. Something isn't going right. Are you self-taught, or did you start with lessons when you were 7? If the latter (same as me), you've probably got a fundamentally sound basic swing that just needs some tweaking from time-to-time.

1 other point, then I will let it go: You've been playing for 15 years. You want to play for 60 more. Build a good swing now, and it will be your best friend for a lifetime.

And I agree 100% with dwardzala on putters. If you are confident in the 20 year-old blade putter you used in high school, don't mess with it. If you're not, finding one that you like and can develop a smooth, confident stroke with will help your game a lot.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #73
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Oh, I know. It's a silly reason to not want to get lessons, and I know it is. Just throwing it out there, since I've been playing for 15 years and still haven't had a single lesson

I was self-taught, sort of. Had some "lessons" taught by my father (terrible golfer) and my grandfather (very good golfer), but nothing serious or professional.