Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #51
SackAttack
Head Coach

So I just discovered what the mystery package is that arrived in California on Friday. 'Tis from Bethesda.

Josh has to wait a few days for Fallout 3.

Sad Josh is sad.

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #52
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Still torn on whether to get this for 360 or PC.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #53
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm thinking about just getting the console version now, play it on the big screen, and then if mod tools are released down the road and some cool mods come out I can sell it/trade it in and then pick up the PC version which should be less than full price at that point.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #54
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Here's a review with a note on the various platform options at the end. The author (self admittedly) only has extensive experience with the PC version. Take it for what it's worth I guess.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1037

Last edited by pjstp20 : 10-28-2008 at 12:03 AM.
pjstp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:06 AM   #55
pjstp20
High School Varsity

This game is getting pretty good reviews out of the gate. Here's IGN's:

IGN: Fallout 3 Review
pjstp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:38 AM   #56
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Played about an hour. I was exploring a lot of stuff in the vault, but even without that it takes some time. I am not sure if I liked how it begins. It's not a bad way to get you used to the controls but it seemed excessive. I won't spoil much but you see yourself through different ages.

The first "mission" is getting out of the vault. This is where I spent a lot of time because there are some side things you can do, one of which I fucked up on, not that it mattered. I killed someone when I didn't mean to, but she had it coming.

The fighting system is interesting. It is kind of turn based but it isn't. You can throw blows at people, or shoot them or whatever, but if you hit R2 on the PS3 you can focus on a certain body part and do damage. I was destroying guys a baton, and the graphics when you do it are brutal. Loved it.

The graphics are nice. A lot of detail. I'd caution that you should look all over, be it lockers or whatever, and search bodies you see because you can collect some sweet stuff.

Anyway, that is about it so far.

I got Fable 2 last week and Fallout will see a lot of my time. It seems like a lot of fun. I plan on playing a lot more tomorrow when I wake up.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:42 AM   #57
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I won't lie, I also take great joy in being a dick to people in game. It's a blast.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #58
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah... this is going to be fun!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #59
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Still torn on whether to get this for 360 or PC.

PC PC PC PC

I made the mistake of getting Oblivion for the 360, but ultimately got it for the PC later on just because of the modding community. I anticipate the same for fallout and won't make the same mistake twice.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #60
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
PC PC PC PC

I made the mistake of getting Oblivion for the 360, but ultimately got it for the PC later on just because of the modding community. I anticipate the same for fallout and won't make the same mistake twice.

I'm worried about my system specs. I have an Nvidia 8600 GTS which is only 256 mb. They suggest 512.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #61
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
PC PC PC PC

Fear of the ESRB is keeping them from releasing the modding tools at launch, though. They requested that Bethesda rate Oblivion "M" when it was released based on a user mod that retextured some of the women in the game topless.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #62
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Can You RUN It?

Go here, some program on this website will analyze your computer and tell you whether you meet the min. specs, how close you are to recommeded specs, what part is holding you back the most, etc. They added Fallout 3 a few days ago.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #63
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Can You RUN It?

Go here, some program on this website will analyze your computer and tell you whether you meet the min. specs, how close you are to recommeded specs, what part is holding you back the most, etc. They added Fallout 3 a few days ago.

Sounds cool, checking it out now.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #64
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Video RAM: Required - 512 MB , You have - 1008 MB

Haha...no I don't.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #65
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Okay, we'll figure it out. If I need to get a new video card, so be it.

Downloading on D2D right now. Would go get it at the store but there is a fucking monsoon outside.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #66
hawk4669
High School JV

Mine is on a FedEx truck...somewhere....roaming the city while I wait anxiously.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #67
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Mine is sitting in the car waiting for the school day to end. I never buy the strategy guides but for this one, I picked it up. The book is enormous.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #68
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Jesus. I've been playing two hours today and haven't done anything it feels like. I went to the School in the Wasteland. I stockpiled on items there, but be forewarned, don't go in if you're not ready for a lot of battles. I just got to Megaton and there is so much to do.

Amazing stuff.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #69
Atocep
Coordinator

I've been playing about an hour so far and I'm amazed. Character creation is incredibly well done and kind of flows with the tutorial part of the game. It looks like there will be a lot of replay value just based on the potential for different playstyles. Voice acting and dialog are very polished and seem more natural than your typical RPG.

I was worried about combat since Oblivion/Morrowind weren't exactly known for their robust combat engines, but I have to say they nailed combat in this game. The combination of on the fly shooting like a typical FPS and the VATS system is impressive.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #70
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I need some help if anyone can assist:

Spoiler
Old 10-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #71
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I killed someone when I didn't mean to, but she had it coming.

I like the way you think...!

So the PS3 defaults to 720p during play of Fallout 3? No 1080i option at the least?
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #72
hawk4669
High School JV

Just got ours....finally. But now it is time to pick up the kids from school, soccer practice, etc.

Did get to watch my wife play partially through character creation though.

Impressions will have to wait until tonight.

Looks beautiful btw.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #73
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I just made it outside of the vault, I probably took far longer than I should have but it was fun messing around with VATS (which is pretty cool) and looking for items. Now time to see what's going down in Megaton.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #74
BYU 14
Coordinator

Just curious as to how many are using VATS and how many are going with real time combat?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #75
Axxon
Pro Starter

It's installing now. I really wanted to hold off on this one until I'd finished Kings Bounty but I went to lunch with a coworker and when the restaurant was right next to a gamestop I knew I was doomed. *SIGH*

Oh well, tonight is gonna be real fun.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #76
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

From what I've read, it seems I'll be able to run it on Medium on my PC, which is basically on par with X360 graphics, but I do prefer mouse/keyboard and potential mods, so I'm going to try the PC. And if its too slow... well, I guess it isn't too long until some good deals on graphic cards hit for the Christmas season.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #77
Tasan
College Starter

Ugh. I can't wait to play this. Good thing I just got a check today.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #78
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Just curious as to how many are using VATS and how many are going with real time combat?

I use probably a 50/50 mix.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #79
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Can You RUN It?

Great web site, thanks for posting it
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:26 AM   #80
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Played a little last night, I went through the character process twice and didn't feel bored. Just wandered through a very macabre school, but then I wander first before getting around to any main story.

I do love it; however, I miss a feature that was in Dead Space that I think would be quite useful. On the Xbox 360 you can press the right thumbstick down and it gives a line towards your objective, I think that would have been sweet in this game, because once you leave the vault, it's just a sprawl.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #81
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Played a little last night, I went through the character process twice and didn't feel bored. Just wandered through a very macabre school, but then I wander first before getting around to any main story.

I do love it; however, I miss a feature that was in Dead Space that I think would be quite useful. On the Xbox 360 you can press the right thumbstick down and it gives a line towards your objective, I think that would have been sweet in this game, because once you leave the vault, it's just a sprawl.

I believe there are arrows on your compass in the bottom right corner that tells you where your mission objective is.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #82
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I just picked up Fallout 1 from GOG to eventually work my way up to Fallout 3. I'll check back on this thread in 2010.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #83
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

These aren't really spoilers unless you didn't know that war never changes:

As a quick note, the opening movie begins focused on the tubes inside an old radio and slowly zooms out to reveal that the radio is sitting inside a bombed out bus. Having grown up in the DC area, I immediately got a sense of nostalgia in recognizing the distinctive interior layout of a Metrobus. I'm really looking forward to seeing if I recognize anything else (besides the obvious) from my childhood. Of course, Bethesda Softworks had reasonably close access to the source material, I'm guessing.

I also note with some amusement that Vault 101 is located more or less right below my childhood home, if the map is to be trusted.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #84
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
These aren't really spoilers unless you didn't know that war never changes:

As a quick note, the opening movie begins focused on the tubes inside an old radio and slowly zooms out to reveal that the radio is sitting inside a bombed out bus. Having grown up in the DC area, I immediately got a sense of nostalgia in recognizing the distinctive interior layout of a Metrobus. I'm really looking forward to seeing if I recognize anything else (besides the obvious) from my childhood. Of course, Bethesda Softworks had reasonably close access to the source material, I'm guessing.

I also note with some amusement that Vault 101 is located more or less right below my childhood home, if the map is to be trusted.

I lived in DC from when I was 7 until I was 14. I am interested in seeing what is in the spot where my Junior High School is.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #85
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post

At least you won't have far to travel to safety
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #86
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I believe there are arrows on your compass in the bottom right corner that tells you where your mission objective is.

Yeah, but I guess I just like the visual of that Dead Space feature.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #87
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Just played for a few hours last night.. but so far I'm really engrossed.

Hopefully get many hours tonight to play..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #88
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

I prefer the VATS but have gotten some normal kills when I run out of action points. I real-time combat for melee weapons.

I need some more ammunition but the weapons shop in Megaton seems to be locked even in daytime. Weird.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #89
KWhit
Coordinator

I'm loving it so far. I'm having a little trouble finding my way around Megaton - everything looks the same - gray, brown, and more gray and brown.

But it sure is fun.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #90
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I put in four hours of play time yesterday and it's pretty amazing. It addresses a lot of what I had trouble getting into with Oblivion (load times and I'm not big on the sword/magic thing). The outside world is incredibly daunting. One choice I made:

Spoiler
Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #91
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
I prefer the VATS but have gotten some normal kills when I run out of action points. I real-time combat for melee weapons.

I need some more ammunition but the weapons shop in Megaton seems to be locked even in daytime. Weird.

I'm having a similar problem with Moriarty's saloon in Megaton. I've yet to be able to go inside, because it's locked day and night.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #92
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I'm having a similar problem with Moriarty's saloon in Megaton. I've yet to be able to go inside, because it's locked day and night.

There's a side door to the place that's locked and there's also a front door, which should always be open.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #93
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
I put in four hours of play time yesterday and it's pretty amazing. It addresses a lot of what I had trouble getting into with Oblivion (load times and I'm not big on the sword/magic thing). The outside world is incredibly daunting. One choice I made:

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 10-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #94
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #95
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
There's a side door to the place that's locked and there's also a front door, which should always be open.

I've noticed that the front door is sometimes lock at night and early morning. Since I started doing her missions though she has always been open I believe.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #96
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Spoiler

Yep. I shived the shit out of that motherfucker.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #97
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Yep. I shived the shit out of that motherfucker.

I haven't killed him yet but the overseer is no more.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #98
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think this is a spoiler. Was anyone able to get out of the vault WITH the girl? I too killed the overseer but I guess using VAT I could've disabled him and maybe that would've worked.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #99
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't think this is a spoiler. Was anyone able to get out of the vault WITH the girl? I too killed the overseer but I guess using VAT I could've disabled him and maybe that would've worked.

I couldn't.

How far are you Brad?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #100
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Hey DeTox-

Not too far actually, I did a crapload of exploring early. I've reached Megaton, did what I said in the spoiler and went to the grocery store for Moira at the supply shop. I am either going to follow the path to find dad (paid 300 caps for that info, ugh!) or keep screwing around with Moira's missions. How about you?