Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #51
hyde4us11
Coordinator

I'd love a FOOL OOTPX league. Alan let me state it here right now, I can't afford to pay for a site but I'd be very interested in running the sims at the very least to help you out.

hyde4us11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #52
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

I'm all for a fast paced X league similar to this one.
Montreal_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #53
allpro10050
Mascot

just ordered it
allpro10050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:20 PM   #54
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

I will purchase 10 and will run both versions.

If we want to switch im in...if we want to stay, i'm in

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #55
buckinbranco
High School Varsity

Financially I am not able to purchase the game right now. Hopefully my cash flow will improve in the coming months, at which point I will most likely purchase 10.
buckinbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:07 AM   #56
TheMeat
n00b

I've been peeking around in here since the FOOL was mentioned in the FOWL forums and I've been thinking a lot about playing. Since I don't own OOTP I'd like to join a OOTPX league.

My Question at this point is... Could a vet (20+ years playing sports sims) just jump right in with a willingness to read and figure things out quickly enough to not run his team into the ground?
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:18 AM   #57
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeat View Post
I've been peeking around in here since the FOOL was mentioned in the FOWL forums and I've been thinking a lot about playing. Since I don't own OOTP I'd like to join a OOTPX league.

My Question at this point is... Could a vet (20+ years playing sports sims) just jump right in with a willingness to read and figure things out quickly enough to not run his team into the ground?

It probably depends on the league honestly and who you are competing against. OOTP is very heavily strategy dependent on some things, while getting the best players in your lineup daily is still the name of the game, some experienced players can likely take a team of nobodies and challenge to win the division if they have a strong strategy.

From your comments before, it sounded like you know baseball strategy and had experience playing Earl Weaver baseball if not other baseball games. To be honest, I've had a good deal of success in OOTP leagues and for the most part I use the same "baseball" strategy that I used in games like Earl Weaver or Tony Larussa Baseball, just modified slightly for how OOTP handles things.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #58
hyde4us11
Coordinator

Quote:

We all started somewhere honestly. If you have the time to study and play around in the game with the solo leagues as well you will be fine. We all were the same as you at one point. Let me add a personal thought as well here. I havent been in this league but for month or 2 at most, and you cant find a better group of guys to learn from. You wont have to worry about being fleeced either. They wont take advantage of you. Class acts everyone of them.

Last edited by hyde4us11 : 05-28-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #59
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Wait, not running your team into the ground is a requirement here? Crap!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #60
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:

I hadn't played OOTP online ever, and hadn't really messed around with the game in a couple of years before buying 9, playing with it for a little while, then joining this league. I think you'll do alright once you get used to the flow of the game.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #61
buckinbranco
High School Varsity

When I joined FOOL I had OOTP for a month or two and had never played any other baseball games. While I've still yet to win a classic, I've made it to the playoffs several times and have been relatively successful so far. So imo if you know a little bit about baseball and you take the time to learn as you go you should be fine. I think FOOL is actually a really good way to learn the game because if you have a bad year or make a mistake you can just fix it next week!

Plus you have an awesome name that would give us an excuse to say cool baseball things like, "Grab some pine Meat!"

Last edited by buckinbranco : 05-28-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #62
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

Everything already said sums up my feelings exactly. Plenty of help offered around here if you need it.

Additionally, this is a great league to tinker with strategy settings and different ideas you might come up with as you get feedback on a weekly basis.

There are many different types of leagues to join, historic, modern day MLB model, fictional, financials on/off, 12 teams, 30+ teams, slow paced, but I've found this setup to be the most enjoyable by far.

Perhaps you should stop by OOTP Developments and download the free OOTP 9 demo. I think you can play through one whole season (multiple times) for a period of a week. Many parts of the game will be similar if not the same as what X is going to offer so it would be a great way to get used to how the game works.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #63
buckinbranco
High School Varsity

Montreal brings up a good point, FOOL is my favorite way to play OOTP. In fact it's the only way I play it. I tried several other online leagues and they just didn't hold my interest. But the crazy helter skelter madness that is FOOL always keeps me coming back DC is a genius!
Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 PM   #64
TheMeat
n00b

Well I pre-purchased OOTPX, and tried last night to DL the demo for 9, but it won't load up. Running it on vista so of course I knew to Run As Administrator but nothing...

Once I get that little hiccup sorted I'll be learning at light speed. So do you have any plans to fire up a OOTPX league soon or do we have enough interest? I'm definitely a fan of the sim-a-season-in-one-day type league, FOWL is by far my favorite FOF league.
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #65
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well I pre-purchased OOTPX, and tried last night to DL the demo for 9, but it won't load up. Running it on vista so of course I knew to Run As Administrator but nothing...

Once I get that little hiccup sorted I'll be learning at light speed. So do you have any plans to fire up a OOTPX league soon or do we have enough interest? I'm definitely a fan of the sim-a-season-in-one-day type league, FOWL is by far my favorite FOF league.

There has been enough interest from people in FOOL for a sister league running OOTPX to be started up, so I am planning on doing so. First teams would obviously go to people who currently are in FOOL, but since we are fictional there shouldn't be a problem getting anyone interested into the league.

I likely will focus most of my writing and articles still on FOOL (ootp9) though so am hopeful others interested in the ootpX version will be interested in picking that up some.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #66
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

So now that the game is released, a little bit of an update from me on some of our favorite ootp9 bugs and their status in ootp10. As most of you know, I tried to write down every single bug that people in this league experienced in ootp9 and personally make sure that they were logged and fixed in ootp10. I have some good news and bad news now as a result...

Of the bugs people mentioned in this thread:
- Player ratings rollover bug: After it was claimed to be fixed, I tested a ton and never was able to replicate this bug any longer. So I am assuming it is fixed in ootp 10. This is not as big of a deal to us anymore since we redid all of the ratings back in 2011, but I figured people would love to relive the memory of Steven Harmon one more time.

- Green highlighting bug on draft lists: I was able to verify that this got fixed during the ootp10 beta. When you add people to your draft list, they stay highlighted green now so you can remember who was and was not already chosen.

- Pressing button to have AI auto adjust your organization/minor leagues: This no longer appears to randomly release players. In all of the various testing during beta, this appears to be fixed.

- Draft list player names being deleted: This one reportedly is improved but is still being worked on. The problem here is as you all are aware, I really had a hard time ever reproducing this issue. I know several of you said that it happened to you all of the time, but it only happened to me maybe 3 times total ever. So I wasn't as much help on this bug. We found someone else in beta who experienced this bug fairly regularly however, and he was able to provide more comments to Markus to try to get it fixed. Since Markus never had this problem when he tried to reproduce it (similar to me), it was hard at times to work on. Reportedly according to other beta testers, it appears to be improved from ootp9, but Markus is still working on it.

There were tons of other bugs I reported, but most were due to new things in ootp10, so I think these were the main ones that you all brought up as problems in ootp9. I figured you would want an update on if they were fixed or not in ootp10.

Overall my personal thoughts or suggestions for people who are deciding if they want to buy ootp10 or not still is that I'm not going to say you absolutely should buy it, but I'm also not going to say it is junk. As you all know, even though I did serve on the beta team again I am the furthest thing from a fanboy as possible so am trying to be realistic here as well with you. I think if you liked OOTP9 or OOTP8 or any other version, then you'll like OOTP10 as well and probably would be happy buying it. If you hated ootp8, ootp9 and such you'll likely hate this one too. For people on the fence, it really is a tougher question I guess. The bugs that annoyed me the most appear to be fixed and is going to hopefully make my life alot easier. Of course there are new features which means there probably will be new bugs that for whatever reason hadn't been found yet.

The biggest changes in OOTP10 for online play is all behind the scenes to make it more secure and thus something that would possibly cause new bugs without much visible gain on your part. (It was a necessary change however so it was worth their changing). Otherwise the biggest change was the revamp of the pitching system. I'm still undecided on how I feel about it right now. I think it is a step in the right direction, I think the idea is better than what was previously in OOTP, but I'm guessing it is still a year away from really being what Markus wants to make it. I don't think that change makes ootp10 a worse game from ootp9, but it will make it different in trying to interpret what pitchers are good or bad.

Anyways, for those still on the fence about getting it or not, I'd just try to weed through the various posts people make on FOFC as well as the OOTP forums and take everything with a grain of salt. There will be those who say anything is the best thing ever regardless of how bad it is, and others who say it is garbage without even likely trying it. Try to find the happy middle ground and look for changes in things that specifically annoyed you. If those are improved then you might like this better. if not, then you likely will remain annoyed

Old 06-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #67
hyde4us11
Coordinator

I too served on the BETA team. I'm not as technical as Alan so i cant explain stuff the way he does. So ill just say I agree 100% with Alan's opinion. I served on the same team Alan did (online leagues) and must say Alan was one of the most active of testers. As you all know Alan is good at describing things so he got alot done. Now i must also say that Im so glad i ran across him because of this league. As long as you guys want me around ill be a FOOL lifer.

Last edited by hyde4us11 : 06-03-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #68
muns
Pro Starter

Thanks for sharing your thoughts fellas
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #69
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Sounds like I need to start doing one of those screen capture utilities when I build my draft list to help repro it (assuming it comes up again in OOTPX). It's probably related to switching filters and dragging guys onto the page and changing sorts and who knows what.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #70
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

I got my freaking email but can't download and play the game because I don't have my computer. Ahhhh!!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #71
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

Was just thinking about how I prefer a 1-10 ratings scale. I know the vote was close for moving to this for 9, so perhaps another vote is in order, or even better, an executive decision.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #72
hyde4us11
Coordinator

I too like 1-10 ratings. I know i wasnt here for that last vote. Maybe my vote helps that swing it.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #73
buckinbranco
High School Varsity

So I have enough money to buy OOTP X if I wanted to right now. What do you guys in FOOL-X think of the game now that you've played with it for a little while? Is it worth $40? Is it less buggy than OOTP 9?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #74
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckinbranco View Post
So I have enough money to buy OOTP X if I wanted to right now. What do you guys in FOOL-X think of the game now that you've played with it for a little while? Is it worth $40? Is it less buggy than OOTP 9?

There are things about OOTP9 that I miss. I still play in FOBL which uses OOTP9 and I use X for other things, so I dunno. I think that both have their uses.

I'd encourage you to wait for the price to go down, to be completely honest. If I hadn't gotten it for $10 off, no way I'd have bought it when I did.

But I know other folks have more informed ideas on it and the upgrades, etc., to the game that make it worthwhile. But I think 9 is a solid product.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-24-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #75
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I liked it enough to abandon OOTP 9. I think it is less buggy than 9, although it still has warts and issues (like Alan having to manually check for Super-2 arb cases that get dropped into FA without the owner having a chance to do anything about it, and some issues with it dropping compensatory picks if you try to do your draft in the offseason due to the draft order changing after it decided what the compensation should be).

Mostly I like the gameplay changes that compensation and the improved arbitration process bring to the table.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #76
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I like the new things that ootpx added in some cases. There are more bugs in it than ootp9 though in my opinion simply because we are not done with the ootpx patches yet (really only 1 patch has been put out for it so far).

Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #77
buckinbranco
High School Varsity

Any idea when the price will go down on OOTP X? Perhaps after the World Series or something like that?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #78
hyde4us11
Coordinator

There is a demo, give it a try first. I like ootpx more then ootp9 as well. Its the same as above in the added gameplay. I love compensation and the new arbitration features.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #79
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think my perspective is different because I feel with ootp9, it finally has gotten to a point where I just play it and don't worry about the bugs. With OOTPX, every single thing that doesn't go as I expect, I feel I constantly am trying to dissect why it is doing things a certain way.

Out of every 10 hours with OOTPX, I spend like 8 hours of it troubleshooting

Old 08-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #80
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckinbranco View Post
Any idea when the price will go down on OOTP X? Perhaps after the World Series or something like that?

I don't think Markus lowers prices.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #81
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I hated OOTP9 just for the draft list issues. I still don't like the draft list UI, but at least it's not losing guys all over the place like 9 did.

But since I don't commish I probably don't see near the bugs that guys like Alan or DC do.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #82
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I don't think Markus lowers prices.

He does eventually, but not until later in the year.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #83
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
He does eventually, but not until later in the year.

Since I like to split hairs....

OOTP9 is still $39.99.

OOTPX will not be any cheaper until OOTP12 or 13 is here.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #84
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Since I like to split hairs....

OOTP9 is still $39.99.

OOTPX will not be any cheaper until OOTP12 or 13 is here.

They've done sales before, but they don't last long.