Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quick snap, long pass to a guy wide ass open down the sideline. First down from the 12 for Clemson.

The crowd sounds like they're growing increasingly restless & if Clemson scores here (as they appear nearly sure to do) and we go three & out again, don't be surprised if the boo birds start to emerge. After the early flurry, this looks a lot like the Gardner-Webb performance.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #52
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Man this is an electric game...I still think its GTs game...but damn I am having fun...

BTW Blackberry is a cool ass invention when I can type from the stands...this is a first for me...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
BTW Blackberry is a cool ass invention when I can type from the stands...this is a first for me...

Didn't realize you were there, that is cool.
I hope you go home unhappy ... but it's still cool
Old 09-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #54
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Tie ball game...
Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nesbitt throws another pick as we inexplicably keep trying to run our one pass play, which consists of him throwing the ball nearly as far as he can and praying that someone runs under it. He's now 1/12 for 20 yds and 2 picks.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #56
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
He's now 1/12 for 20 yds and 2 picks.

Wow. That's some line.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #57
Radii
Head Coach

*sighs*
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #58
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

55 yrd field goal and CLEMSON LEADS!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'd love to say that this is unbelievable ... but it isn't.

We haven't got anything other than Burnett on defense and he's not overcoming the double team apparently.

And FINALLYFINALLY we throw something other than a $^@#$^%@ hail mary.

edit to add: Eh fuck it, I'll just say what I'm thinking: I fully expect a fumble here.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-10-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Why the hell are they talking about the Tech offense being tired? They've barely been on the field on the second half. Their problem isn't respiratory, it's cardiac.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #61
tarcone
Coordinator

ouch. Where are GT D Backs.
Lucky for teh holding

And Nice on eon the cardiac
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #62
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

can anyone at home tell me who the hold was on?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #63
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Why the hell are they talking about the Tech offense being tired? They've barely been on the field on the second half.

I assumed they were just talking about Nesbitt after running the ball on 5 straight plays. Nice line either way though
Old 09-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

How in the FUCK was that a hold? He pancaked the guy.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #65
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

#65 I think, interior lineman, kinda marginal call. this hold on Ga Tech was just as marginal, makeup call I guess!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #66
henry296
College Starter

Quote:

Left guard, I think #65 or #66.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #67
tarcone
Coordinator

payback
Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #68
Radii
Head Coach

holy shit what a time for a big pass completion!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
retracted my answer, I'll bow to the majority answer that was different than mine.
Pretty sure (now) that it was Austin #65 (cause they talked about him being their best lineman)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-10-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #70
tarcone
Coordinator

Will the triple option work against the speed of Miami or FSU?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #71
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Ga Tech ran for about 7500 yards vs Miami last year and about 4500 against UGA's defense, for whatever that's worth.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #72
Radii
Head Coach

dola, looked it up, it was actually 472 vs miami and 409 vs UGA last season.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #73
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

It ain't worked all that well most of the night against Clemson, I don't even want to think what a faster defense will do to it.

Nesbitt needs help and needs it p.d.q. Bohannon was a wideout in college & as far as I know never took a snap. He's in need of a mechanical expert is how it looks to me.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Eh, getting 409 on that UGAy defense isn't all that much to brag about really.
Fun as hell, just not that incredible.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-10-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #75
Radii
Head Coach

whew. Got out of there alive. Gotta improve and fast though.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #76
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Bah, crappy throw to an open Spiller there. Game over.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Too
damn
close

Tough situation for a soph. like Tarrant to have to make that play on Spiller and he delivered.

Now what MUST happen for this to mean anything in the big picture is this team has to come away angry, hurt, and embarrassed about their collapse and knowing that they were lucky to escape. If they come away feeling as though they actually did anything more than that, better teams will eat their fucking lunch.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #78
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Damn had a chance....but didnt deliver

Good game GT..

Have to think what if...
What if not for the funky fake field goal punt
What if not for the fake field goal TD throw.
What if not for the hold that I still havent seen despite 3 replays....

I think the program is in good hands with Dabo.
But we still have work to do.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #79
Logan
Head Coach

I'll help you CU...it wasn't a hold.

Of course, never know what would have happened afterwards, but at worst you lost a chance at the lead.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #80
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

At the Varsity....Cold Beer in hand....what a game.
What heartbreak.

Good game for GT, howeverunlikely, I hope we meet again in Tampa this year.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #81
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'll help you CU...it wasn't a hold.

Other than the whole grabbing his jersey up around his shoulder pad and using it to help propel him to the ground part.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #82
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
It ain't worked all that well most of the night against Clemson, I don't even want to think what a faster defense will do to it.

Pissy situation for me, as I was in the air flying back home FROM Atlanta for most of the game, so didn't get to see it when I was there and didn't get home in time to see it.

It seems to me that the problems we've had running the offense in the last two years (Gardner-Webb excepted, as the problem there was a third-string-QB who couldn't run the option if he was playing NCAA 2009) hasn't been with team speed on defense, but with size and talent on the defensive line. That's something Clemson had in abundance coming in, and it's someplace LSU had a lot of talent as well. It's also something that I wonder if we'll improve on as the offensive line continues to be molded into more of what fits CPJ's system. We're still starting at least one converted TE at tackle, IIRC.

Glad for the win, obviously, but boy... that wasn't a very good performance from what I've been reading. Miami has to think they have a good chance at home.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #83
digamma
Torchbearer

Still coming down from that one. A few random thoughts...

-Clemson's DL is probably the best one GT will face all year. And as bad as it looked at times Tech still rushed for 303 yards.

-The hold call on Clemson was tough, but I think it was a bit of a lifetime achievement award. There were several on Morgan that could have been called.

-I've blasted Spiller a lot in the past for being soft, but he's a hell of a football player. Ford also.

-I'm really scared to see what Parker becomes. Not bad at all for 2 games in.

-Paul Johnson will have fun with this game tape. There were a ton of missed blocks and reads. A few of those hit and it could have been put away early.

-Say what you want about Nesbitt, but the kid is a warrior. He had a rough night and then put the team on his shoulders in the fourth quarter. I wouldn't trade him for anyone. Well maybe Jesus Tebow.

-Jerrard Tarrant!

-Really happy for Scott Blair, who kicked every ball but two punts for Tech last year. To come through 3-3 on FG and have a TD pass. What a night.

Another great Clemson-GT game. Maybe a preview of the ACC title game?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #84
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Pissy situation for me, as I was in the air flying back home FROM Atlanta for most of the game, so didn't get to see it when I was there and didn't get home in time to see it.

It seems to me that the problems we've had running the offense in the last two years (Gardner-Webb excepted, as the problem there was a third-string-QB who couldn't run the option if he was playing NCAA 2009) hasn't been with team speed on defense, but with size and talent on the defensive line. That's something Clemson had in abundance coming in, and it's someplace LSU had a lot of talent as well. It's also something that I wonder if we'll improve on as the offensive line continues to be molded into more of what fits CPJ's system. We're still starting at least one converted TE at tackle, IIRC.

Glad for the win, obviously, but boy... that wasn't a very good performance from what I've been reading. Miami has to think they have a good chance at home.

Their size didn't give us much problem early best I could tell but as they started to penetrate better we & their ends avoided getting taken out completely, oddly, that's when we decided that the offense consisted primarily of two plays: the dive and the fling-it-as-far-as-you-can-Josh-and -we'll-pray-someone-wearing-white-catches-it pass.

I was surprised to come away feeling that we may have some conditioning issues as well, by the late third quarter they looked more tired than sluggish to my eyes.

And I can't begin to describe how utterly lost Nesbitt looked on non-option plays. Not mentally, I think he really does have a better grasp of the offense than a year ago, none of the oh-crap-what-do-I-do moments that popped up occasionally. Instead, he looks physically confused (if that makes any sense), you could almost hear him counting steps on drop backs and then trying to remember how the whole passing thing worked. He's got a freakin' cannon for an arm but that's about it for throwing. Yeah, I know, he had to learn a new offense and how to work under center when he got there but damn, he looked worse tonight than he did a year ago.

The one BIG bright spot of the night, along with Blair's performance, is the goose egg in the fumbles line on the stat sheet. Of all the bets you could make on the game, that's one that should have had the longest odds & it's encouraging to see that it's at least possible.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #85
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
The dive and the fling-it-as-far-as-you-can-Josh-and -we'll-pray-someone-wearing-white-catches-it pass.

Serious question, since I won't see the 360 replay until tomorrow... called dives, or read to the dive out of the triple or the midline?

Quote:
I was surprised to come away feeling that we may have some conditioning issues as well, by the late third quarter they looked more tired than sluggish to my eyes.

Obviously, this goes both ways - but I wonder how much the 5-day game week had to do with this. As much as I like Thursday night games, I hate a Saturday-Thursday combination and think those just shouldn't happen.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #86
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Serious question, since I won't see the 360 replay until tomorrow... called dives, or read to the dive out of the triple or the midline?

Combo of called dives and reads/midline. Clemson really keyed on Dwyer. They are also the first tem I've seen key on him on the delay option wide to the B-back. And it's the first time I've seen Nesbitt make the right read there to keep it (though he missed it the first time).

GT tackles were overmatched tonight, but they flat out missed some blocks tonight too.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #87
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The announcers mentioned that few plays in the GT playbook were for designated runners so maybe they were all being called by Nesbitt but for lack of a better description they "looked" pre-called or else Josh was reading them very quickly because there was little hesitation on them at all.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #88
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Obviously, this goes both ways - but I wonder how much the 5-day game week had to do with this. As much as I like Thursday night games, I hate a Saturday-Thursday combination and think those just shouldn't happen.

This is a concern for me as well. It looked like both sides of the ball were sucking wind.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:05 AM   #89
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Clemson is such a tease. I can't imagine the roller coaster actual fans and alumni have been on the past few years. The team has a lot of talent, but I don't know what's missing. I didn't get to see the game until it was 24-0 GT. Then I saw an inspired Clemson team, but a team that just didn't have enough in a hostile environment against a better than average team.

Congrats to the Ramblin' Wreck.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #90
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Clemson is such a tease. I can't imagine the roller coaster actual fans and alumni have been on the past few years. The team has a lot of talent, but I don't know what's missing. I didn't get to see the game until it was 24-0 GT. Then I saw an inspired Clemson team, but a team that just didn't have enough in a hostile environment against a better than average team.

Congrats to the Ramblin' Wreck.

My wife was convinced it was over at 24-0, but I convinced her that not for some awful coaching moves, they were actually PLAYING very well by halftime.

The pooch punt was stupid, and not calling a timeout when they rush the field with the FG team and then run the fake was also stupid. That's 14 points right there. But the coaching staff got the team back together, and they played GREAT in the final 30 minutes. GT had to scrape to get those 2 field goals together, and Parker showed his youth on the 2 late drives. Hell, he showed it all game, but the boy can run AND has a cannon. It was a fun game to watch, if disappointing as hell to a Clemson alum and her fanatic husband.

Last edited by Butter : 09-11-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #91
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

grrrrr....
Well on a positive, I saw more adjustents last night from this coaching staff than I saw in 9.4 years from Tommy Bowden and staff.

Its still a Loss though
Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #92
Celeval
Pro Starter

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I'm impressed by Clemson's young QB. I can absolutely see Clemson being 5-1 (3-1) heading into Miami.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #93
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
grrrrr....
Well on a positive, I saw more adjustents last night from this coaching staff than I saw in 9.4 years from Tommy Bowden and staff.

Definitely. No reason not to be positive about the team coming out of this game. Hopefully the kids don't get too down on themselves for not pulling it out.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #94
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Toledo absolutely handling Colorado right now. 30-3 in the 3rd quarter.

How much rope are they giving Hawkins over there?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #95
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Cody Hawkins is not good.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #96
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Uh, Toledo better wake up. Colorado about to make it a two poseession game.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #97
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Ouch. On 3rd and 8, Toledo QB runs up the middle for 60 yard TD.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #98
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Gooo Toledoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #99
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Let's do this shit.

sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #100
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Gotta think Hawkins is on the hottest seat in America right now. TroyF must be about ready to pull his hair out...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote