Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #51
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yeah, the struggles are primarily Polamalu based. I think if you took a top 5(or 10 if you guys want to be that way) defensive player in the league off of any team they'd be hurting. Seriously, I'm a homer but the dude makes plays unlike almost anyone else. They're in trouble until he gets healthy again.

The O-Line is obviously not that good. But what's plauged Steeler football as far as I can remember is the fact that they always seem too content with a 10 point lead. Cowher never lost those games(look it up, his record was rediculous), and Tomlin hasn't been nearly as good. But as a fan I can remember far too many games that were too close cause they were content with a lead.

Then again, if guys make plays(looking at you Santurdio vs. the Bears, and Manos:Hands of Sweed vs the Bengals), the team is 3-0 right now.

I'm not panicking, and actually I really don't care as much as I used to. The titles have me fat with goodwill right now. If they lose to San Diego this week, I'm going to get concerned though.

I kinda feel the same way. I would love to see a killer instinct from this team for a change, rather than the "let's hold onto this 10 point lead without moving the ball on offense the rest of the game" attitude. Just like you, though, I am happy with 2 titles in 5 years, and knowing how difficult it is to repeat, I am not expecting anything more than an average to slightly above average season (anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6 seems realistic to me).

TP is a monster too, they are definitely hurting without him. Too bad he can't play o-line too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.

RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #52
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Jimmy Johnson and Parcells weren't, but that does fit the other four.

The funny thing is, wouldn't you consider Johnson and Parcells the two most successful coaches since Jerry Jones bought the team? (especially Johnson)

They both pretty much left on their own terms, where as the other ones were essentially fired/let go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #53
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Well, the biggest problem with the Cowboys since Johnson left wasn't the coaching, it was GM Jerry, yes man Larry Lacewell, and the horrible drafting they were involved with. They started drafting better I think a year before Parcells arrived and while he had some misses, they had some good picks during that time (although keep in mind there were some misses too, and he wanted to take DE Marcus Spears at #11 in 2005 instead of Ware) and thus far seem to have drafted well since he left after he laid some good groundwork. Some of the recent success also interestingly coincides with his son Stephen Jones getting more influence in the organization, so I'll be interested to see what they decide coaching-wise after this season when Phillips gets fired (barring the Cowboys having a very successful season).
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #54
Radii
Head Coach

I know everyone else is bored today since the Panthers have a bye, but there are other games that could be discussed!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #55
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

this pats team needs to learn to fucking punch the ball in when in the red zone, and play redzone defense or they're going nowhere
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #56
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Bears and Lions in a shootout
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #57
kingfc22
Head Coach

Raiders are so fun to watch because they are AWFUL. Pure comic relief.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #58
kingfc22
Head Coach

Jaminkus is as accurate as always. 4/10 for 32 yards. LOL
Old 10-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #59
hoopsguy
General Manager

Bears punter Maynard has put two coffin corner punts to put the Lions inside the 5. Pretty impressive.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #60
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Pats D is getting great pressure on Flacco, and the offense (other than their first possession) has looked solid, and relatively balanced.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #61
RainMaker
General Manager

Has anyone had trouble getting to ESPN fantasy football today?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #62
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Patriots lineman pushes a Ravens DT into Brady. 15 yard penalty on the Ravens.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #63
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Always nice to see Peyton drive down the field with less than 2 minutes remaining.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #64
Radii
Head Coach

Seriously impressive drive by the lions after getting pinned at the 2 yard line with 4:50 left in the half... 11 play/98 yard drive for a TD led by Stafford, scoring with under 30 seconds left to tie the game up.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #65
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

And he nicked Brady... Brady started pointing at the guy like he was four years old. "He tried hurting me, Mr Referee!"
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #66
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Lets see how the Lions screw up this last second play in the half for the Bears.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #67
samifan24
Pro Starter

I have Comcast here in Connecticut and we have a free preview of the new NFL Red Zone channel today. So far I watched Peyton Manning make an incredible TD pass as time expired, Robert Gathers run a fumble back for a TD and countless scoring plays right as they happen. It's great.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #68
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Seriously impressive drive by the lions after getting pinned at the 2 yard line with 4:50 left in the half... 11 play/98 yard drive for a TD led by Stafford, scoring with under 30 seconds left to tie the game up.

All three of their scoring drives were 9+ plays and 70+ yards, ending in TDs. Big 3rd down pickups ... they look really good.

I'm not sure which of the two QB's has the bigger arm - they both throw the heck out of the ball. But old man Favre probably has the 2nd weakest arm in the division.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #69
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

hey that's the rules...you win some and you lose some. The calls even out over the course of games...the NFL has decided to protect the QB's.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #70
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow, the Titans are getting pole axed by no less the jags 30-3 :o.........Fisher is definitely staring at this being his last season if not sooner being he has a very talented team as most know and his and GM Reinfeldts poor personnell decisions like not signing the second top KR/PR from last season or a veteran replacement instead of a rookie, going thinner at CB, Pacman etc rests on them.

Last edited by Galaril : 10-04-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #71
larrymcg421
Head Coach

How long until Vince Young gets in there?

Old 10-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #72
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Johnny Knox returns the 2nd half opening kickoff 102 yards and the Bears take a 28-21 lead.

Man that kid is fast.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #73
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Johnny Knox returns the 2nd half opening kickoff 102 yards and the Bears take a 28-21 lead.

Man that kid is fast.

Holy crap. Upon my slow mo replay he dropped the ball before he got into the endzone. DeSean Jackson style, except a lot closer to the goal line.

Last edited by mauchow : 10-04-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #74
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Holy crap. Upon my slow mo replay he dropped the ball before he got into the endzone. DeSean Jackson style, except a lot closer to the goal line.

You're absolutely right. It really looks like he did drop it too early.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #75
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
How long until Vince Young gets in there?

They got the Colts at home next week and then on the road at New England definitely losses with this pass defense or lack of. I figure they will keep Collins in to take the beating the Colts and Pats will be handing out. Then they are on a bye week followed by a home game against the Jags. I would bet they are 0-6 going into that one and then we see Young take over for good until the end of the season. Young has a huge pay bump for next season so this would be is last chance to save his job in Tennessee. He looked better this past preseason know that he has something to throw to albiet not much still.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #76
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I still do not understand illegal contact calls. If that got called every time there was contact beyond 5 yards, shouldn't flags be flying on almost every downfield pass?

Old 10-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #77
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Another good starting spot for the Bears. If the Lions don't create a turnover here or hold them to no points it could be time to watch the Pats/Ravens full time.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #78
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
LOL @ the Raiders. Give up a safety, then the Texans return the ensuing free kick for a TD.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #79
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

LMAO
Old 10-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #80
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I've had it up since before the games started and I am not able to reach one of my team's pages-don't know if that's related to your problem or not.

And I kept going back and forth between starting Portis and Kevin Smith since they were both coming off injuries...I did not choose wisely it seems.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #81
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Either the Pats have a really good d-plan going up, or the front seven is no where as near as bad as rumored, even with Mayo out (and he's practicing, so hopefully he'll be back in the next couple weeks.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #82
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dola:FUCK.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #83
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Can't believe nobody's mentioned Tyler Thigpen being traded to the Dolphins for an undisclosed draft pick. While I don't see him unseating Henne at this particular moment, if Henne bombs, at least Thigpen has some experience and shown flashes as a starter for Kansas City last year.
It's difficult for any QB to come in midseason and run an offense, even more so for someone as inexperienced and limited as Thigpen. I say limited because Thigpen is an emergency QB only -- when you're QB goes down for a few weeks, you break the glass and scheme around him with a spread offense, QB runs and a Wildcat-style offense. It's actually a decent fit for the Dolphins but don't expect Thigpen to come in and take a team to the playoffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Thigpen was mentioned, it must have been in last week's thread. The undisclosed pick better have been a 6th or 7th rounder.
My guess is that this might wipe out the undisclosed pick we sent a few weeks ago for the two offensive linemen. Jacksonville offered a 5th for Thigpen preseason and Pioli wanted a 4th. I say it either ends up with a no pick exchanged or a net 7th for the Chiefs.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #84
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Yes, I can't log in at all.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #85
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I've had it up since before the games started and I am not able to reach one of my team's pages-don't know if that's related to your problem or not.

And I kept going back and forth between starting Portis and Kevin Smith since they were both coming off injuries...I did not choose wisely it seems.

Ah got through to that team page and this notice has been posted:

We're currently experiencing issues with our registration system that prevent some users from logging in. We're working to resolve them as quickly as possible and apologize for the inconvenience.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #86
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Eli has a "bruised heel" and is probably out the rest of the game. I put it in quotes because he wasn't hit on the play in question -- Kenny, Moose and Goose think it could be an achilles issue but it also looked like it could have been a strain or a stress injury.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #87
Thomkal
Head Coach

And for the record, I cannot stand Phil Simms as a broadcaster-hardly ever contributes an insightful point, gets penalty calls/replays wrong all the time, basically just agrees with whatever Jim Nantz says...grrrr.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #88
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

LOL - you can tell that on that Pats drive right after the strip-sack TD that Brady said "okay guys...hop on my back and let me just wing it" because they just carved up the Ravens secondary to put the lead back at 10
Old 10-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #89
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Uh oh Stafford just went down holding his right knee.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #90
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I may have ranted about this last week but I have very serious concerns about whether we may look at the hiring of Todd Haley as a Mangenius-esque hire.

The pro for Haley was that he was the offensive coordinator for a high-scoring team that made the Super Bowl.

The cons are pretty high. He was only offensive coordinator for two years and only called plays for one full season. In that full season, he had screaming matches on the sideline with Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald. In that Super Bowl season, they only went 9-7 and happened to catch lighting in a bottle by getting hot at the right time and catching some breaks such as going against a rookie QB and having Jake Delhomme self-implode.

Since he has arrived here Haley has done some of the same things Mangini has done in Cleveland. He refused to talk our only decent offensive lineman Brian Waters and when they finally ran into each other Haley told him he could get 53 guys off the street to win two games (apparently not). He and Piolo have completely ignore the team's legacy and the Chiefs legends who were at the center of the Peterson Era have been shown the door.

Then he fires his offensive coordinator before the season starts and engages in some of the most bizarre play calling I've ever seen. By most accounts, Gailey was fired because he wanted Thigpen to be the backup QB and run more of a spread offense. Haley wanted to be more conservative and go to Brodie Croyle as the backup (Croyle is awful by the way). So far this season the Chiefs offense has been horrific and unimaginative. Down by three scores in the second half against the Eagles, the Chiefs gave up and ran the ball 20 times and threw 8 times in the second half. They have no offensive line yet continue to use seven-step drops and nothing to try and get the ball out to the WRs faster.

I bought into the "fanbole" of Pioli and Haley coming here but so far all of the nagging doubts have been reinforced and none of the upside has been realized. This is a horrible, horrible team.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #91
JediKooter
Coordinator

Nice mohawk Jamarcus Russell. You still suck.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 10-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #92
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Nice mohawk Jamarcus Russell. You still suck.

The Raiders don't have anything on offense, besides maybe a decent TE in Miller and a decent RB in McFadden. The WR's suck, Russell sucks, the OL sucks. Just awful.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #93
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Browns are winning??
Old 10-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #94
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Browns are winning??

Yes, Bengals offense has been crap the 2nd half, but might be finally waking up now.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #95
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Uh oh Stafford just went down holding his right knee.

Looks like it's just a twist. I'd assume he'd be in the back already if not.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #96
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
The Raiders don't have anything on offense, besides maybe a decent TE in Miller and a decent RB in McFadden. The WR's suck, Russell sucks, the OL sucks. Just awful.

You said it. Why any player would want to play on that team is beyond me, other than it beats digging ditches.

Heck, I could throw just as many, if not more incomplete passes as Russell for a tenth of his pay.

Last edited by JediKooter : 10-04-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #97
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Palmer to Ochocinco on 4th and goal for the TD!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #98
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Bengals with a bad snap that leads to the extra point being blocked. Tied at 20.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #99
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Bungles!!!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #100
Radii
Head Coach

Baltimore has two tries to get 1 yard to keep a drive alive and fail miserably.