Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #51
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I wouldn't have minded what Tiger did on the course if he hadn't himself said he was going to change it.

He's complaining that people are bringing it up after it was him who said he would control his temper. You don't want it to be a story? Don't make a promise you either can't or won't keep. The proper response was "this is a long road to recovery, I will continue to try to control my emotions on the course but I understand it's going to be a work in progress"

That would be an acceptable answer if there were not other behaviors he had also promised to curtail which MUST stop immediately - no "work in progress". His wife is listening to these answers, and will apply everything he says about this promise to the no cheating promise as well.

Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #52
Radii
Head Coach

anyone watching the end of the PGA Championship? This is insane.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #53
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
anyone watching the end of the PGA Championship? This is insane.

Can you imagine if Johnson makes the putt and thinks he won...only to find this out?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #54
frnk55
High School Varsity

Ouch, that sucks.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #55
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Personally I think the Marshalls should've done a better job getting those fans out of the bunker.

I was upset at the ruling until the rules official stated how they stressed about the bunkers and posted info in the locker room.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #56
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I feel like I am watching a live version of Tin Cup.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #57
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Can someone that knows the game well explain to me the purpose of that rule?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #58
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Can someone that knows the game well explain to me the purpose of that rule?

Grounding your club in a hazard (sand trap) can improve your lie. In this case however, Johnson had a brain fart and didn't realize he was in a hazard.

Edit: Also cause he could be testing the hazard.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 08-15-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #59
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Why couldn't that go in
Old 08-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #60
Thomkal
Head Coach

Oh man heartbroken for my man Dustin Johnson-looked like he was going to redeem himself for that last round of the US Open, and then to have this happen. And it would have been even worse if had made that putt on the 18th and "won" the tournament.

I think both sides are at fault here. Dustin and/or his caddy should have made sure he was not in a bunker before he grounded his club in it and he should have read the rules sheet that would have told him that all the bunkers were considered bunkers regardless of where they were on the course.

The PGA was at fault in two ways-there was a rules official walking with them. Given the uniqueness of the situation with the crowd walking through the bunker, in fact some were standing in it as Johnson was hitting his shot, the rules official should have made sure Johnson knew it was a bunker. Second the bunker should have been roped off or marshalls should have been keeping people out of it.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:48 AM   #61
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

You know what really pisses me off about the coverage of this issue? I don't watch golf, I don't play golf, and I don't care about golf, but when something is the lead freaking story in sports, I guess I'm going to have to pay attention enough to ge the gist of what happened. And not a single TV/online report or story written about this even attempted to explain WTF "grounding a club" is. Not one. At one point, I actually started searching for articles about this just to see what I could find about it. No one bothered.

On the flipside, I've never understood it when news articles include a sentence summarizing some obvious point in history to bring some context to the story. Like, say, an article about airport security in 2010 that references 9/11 will invariably contain a sentence summarizing 9/11 - as if anyone who was older than 5 or 6 at the time wouldn't know what 9/11 is. And then we get tons of stories about "grounding the club," and no one bothers to explain it to people who don't play or follow golf.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #62
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

it's the caddies fault. period. caddies have 2 jobs. carry clubs. know rules.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #63
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
You know what really pisses me off about the coverage of this issue? I don't watch golf, I don't play golf, and I don't care about golf, but when something is the lead freaking story in sports, I guess I'm going to have to pay attention enough to ge the gist of what happened. And not a single TV/online report or story written about this even attempted to explain WTF "grounding a club" is. Not one. At one point, I actually started searching for articles about this just to see what I could find about it. No one bothered.

On the flipside, I've never understood it when news articles include a sentence summarizing some obvious point in history to bring some context to the story. Like, say, an article about airport security in 2010 that references 9/11 will invariably contain a sentence summarizing 9/11 - as if anyone who was older than 5 or 6 at the time wouldn't know what 9/11 is. And then we get tons of stories about "grounding the club," and no one bothers to explain it to people who don't play or follow golf.

I undertsand your frustration. But this would be sorta like including what a sacrifice bunt is in baseball, or explaining that 6 fouls foul you out of an NBA game. Kinda stuff the regular fan knows, and it would be immensely annoying to them to have these stories cluttered with things like this. And that's the main audience reading those stories.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #64
Qrusher14242
High School JV

yeah it took me a while to figure it out lol. I watch golf a lot, but dont really play it. Never heard them once talking about grounding a club lol. What a joke that was. The Play-Off was so anticlimactic afterwards. i would of never guessed that was a bunker. So i guess fans are allowed to stand in bunkers now?
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote