Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #51
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
If you mean specs, Reggie said it can do 1080p and that the controller's screen is 6.2 inches. Not much beyond that, yet.

Just to clarify, the TV screen can do 1080p. The handheld 6.2" screen is not HD. It's all a bit odd. The great part about the Wii is the ease of use of the controller. This seems to take it back the other way a bit. The controller looks like a Leapfrog controller to me. Something smaller would have been a better option IMO.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #52
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I'm shocked I am saying this but I thought Nintendo had the best briefing of the three. MiiU looks really cool!!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #53
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Didn't get a chance to chime in on Sony's conference yesterday. I lost a little bodily fluid when they announced the Warhawk sequel. I put over 350 hours into Warhawk and had been hoping for some time that they'd release a second version. I'll put tons of hours in that.

Also was mildly impressed with the new portable. Really like the interactivity between the PS3 and new portable. It seems like it does what most thought the PSP should have done. Double sticks are nice. Touch screen options are so-so. Price point is better than I thought it would be.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So basically Nintendo has a new handheld that you hook to your TV? Welcome to 1980-what.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #55
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So basically Nintendo has a new handheld that you hook to your TV? Welcome to 1980-what.

This is what I thought but apparently it is an actual console.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

Well that'd be a step in the right direction, they haven't made one of those in ages (yes, I'm mocking the Wii).
Old 06-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #57
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

Yes, it's an actual new console. It's the next generation console.

Last edited by MJ4H : 06-07-2011 at 01:30 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #58
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Your Jon-sarcasm detector has had a critical malfunction.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #59
MJ4H
Coordinator

I wasn't responding to sarcasm by Jon, thanks. Here, I'll help. (added quote of what I was responding to)

Last edited by MJ4H : 06-07-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

How cute.

Does it come with a choice of puffy stickers or matchbox cars to fit the target demo? That'd amp up sales considerably (as would a Justin Bieber special edition)
Old 06-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #61
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I've notice a few of the more generic (non-video game) media outlets saying that the new console from Nintendo will put pressure on the others to release a new console. From everything we've seen today, I think the opposite is true. Sony and Microsoft are going to feel very good with their position. They have HD consoles that are at a competitive (and profitable) price point. They can sit tight for at least 3-4 years and make money consistently while Nintendo takes their next big gamble. From the looks of Microsoft's conference, it's pretty obvious that's exactly what they plan to do. Smart move.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #62
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Did they release any specifics on the system itself?

Here is what has been released so far:

Launches: 2012

Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.

New Controller: The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.

Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic Controller™, Classic Controller Pro™ and Wii Balance Board™.

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.

Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.

Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.

Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.

CPU: IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.

Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.

(Taken from the Nintendo E3 2011 Press Release)

Games announced: Smash Brothers, Battlefield 3, Batman: Arkham City, Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon Online, Darksiders II, Dirt, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Metro: Last Night, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden 3, FIFA 12, Madden 12, Driver, Lego City Stories

Other facts: (GTTV interview with Reggie)

* The price point of the system will be competitive to the current prices of the PS3, 360 in terms of value
* The games shown for Wii U at the show were actually PS3 and 360 versions but the Wii U will look the same or better
* No BluRay Support
* Controller's screen is single-touch
* Backwards compatible with the Wii's Games, but no upscaling is done
Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #63
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

One of the Darksiders II developers said that the Wii U (awful name imo) is more powerful than the 360 and PS3 (in this interview) but that is the least I expect considering how long those other two consoles have been out. I want to know exactly how much more powerful. That nature tech demo during their conference was real-time stuff but I can't really draw any conclusions from that.

If anybody here watches Jeopardy! and remembers IBM's Watson that defeated a few famous champions a few months ago, apparently the "same processor technology" that was in that is in the Wii U, haha. Sounds like some marketing thing. (here)

The lack of upscaling for Wii games is disappointing, I've seen some screenshots of Wii and Gamecube games being played on PCs in high resolutions on the Dolphin emulator and some of them look really good.

How much are those new controllers going to cost? They don't look cheap. Even Dualshock3's are ridiculously priced, these are going to be even more expensive in all likelihood.

I wonder how comfortable/usable the new controller will be for games like FIFA with the right analog stick being above the face buttons. For shooters I guess people can just use the IR aiming since that is better than dual analog anyway. And a mouse is better than both of course so shooters will still be best played on PCs.

And the only first party title mentioned for it so far is a new Smash Bros. game which didn't have anything shown. The rest of the footage was of prototypes and concepts.

Nintendo's conference didn't give me a lot of the answers I was looking for.

Last edited by Big Fo : 06-07-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #64
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
One of the Darksiders II developers said that the Wii U (awful name imo) is more powerful than the 360 and PS3 (in this interview) but that is the least I expect considering how long those other two consoles have been out. I want to know exactly how much more powerful. That nature tech demo during their conference was real-time stuff but I can't really draw any conclusions from that.

If anybody here watches Jeopardy! and remembers IBM's Watson that defeated a few famous champions a few months ago, apparently the "same processor technology" that was in that is in the Wii U, haha. Sounds like some marketing thing. (here)

The lack of upscaling for Wii games is disappointing, I've seen some screenshots of Wii and Gamecube games being played on PCs in high resolutions on the Dolphin emulator and some of them look really good.

How much are those new controllers going to cost? They don't look cheap. Even Dualshock3's are ridiculously priced, these are going to be even more expensive in all likelihood.

I wonder how comfortable/usable the new controller will be for games like FIFA with the right analog stick being above the face buttons. For shooters I guess people can just use the IR aiming since that is better than dual analog anyway. And a mouse is better than both of course so shooters will still be best played on PCs.

And the only first party title mentioned for it so far is a new Smash Bros. game which didn't have anything shown. The rest of the footage was of prototypes and concepts.

Nintendo's conference didn't give me a lot of the answers I was looking for.

More or less echo my thought so far as well. Tech demos are really nothing more than marketing and you can't draw any conclusions from them.

I like some of the potential for the controllers, but I'm not sold on them yet. They look kind of bulky to hold and I'd rather have a true analog stick like the PS3 has than the 3DS type of analog. I don't know how well it will work on shooters and games that require similar twitch skills. Price is definitely a concern as well.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #65
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Price is definitely a concern as well.

I'm assuming you mean the price for the avalanche of accessories. I think it's all but a given that it's going to be a minimum of $250 for the console. $299 would be the most likely.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #66
Atocep
Coordinator

Battlefield 3 and Skyrim are the most impressive games I've seen so far.

Vita looks impressive and is priced cheaper than I expected. Now Sony needs to get more devs on board than they've had with the PSP.

I'm also excited about a new Hitman game, Mario Cart 3D, the Layton game that's been in Japan for 2 years, and the new Batman.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #67
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm assuming you mean the price for the avalanche of accessories. I think it's all but a given that it's going to be a minimum of $250 for the console. $299 would be the most likely.

I meant for the controllers. I can't see them costing $50.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #68
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I meant for the controllers. I can't see them costing $50.

Agreed. I can't see anything less than $89.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #69
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I've notice a few of the more generic (non-video game) media outlets saying that the new console from Nintendo will put pressure on the others to release a new console. From everything we've seen today, I think the opposite is true. Sony and Microsoft are going to feel very good with their position. They have HD consoles that are at a competitive (and profitable) price point. They can sit tight for at least 3-4 years and make money consistently while Nintendo takes their next big gamble. From the looks of Microsoft's conference, it's pretty obvious that's exactly what they plan to do. Smart move.

OTOH, I'm pretty sure Sony/Microsoft had similar private derision for the Wii, and that system ate their lunch.

The WiiU is spawning the same 'WTF is this shit' reaction from folks online that the Wii did, but it's all about execution, and that's something Nintendo's historically been pretty good at.

If they can execute their vision with the WiiU...uh, whatever that vision actually IS...then they're in a position to leave Sony and Microsoft with egg on their face.

Backwards compatibility with Wii software and - from the looks of things - Wii accessories (seen some shots where the Wii Remote Plus is being used) could be a solid first step towards customer retention in the new generation.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #70
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
OTOH, I'm pretty sure Sony/Microsoft had similar private derision for the Wii, and that system ate their lunch.

The WiiU is spawning the same 'WTF is this shit' reaction from folks online that the Wii did, but it's all about execution, and that's something Nintendo's historically been pretty good at.

If they can execute their vision with the WiiU...uh, whatever that vision actually IS...then they're in a position to leave Sony and Microsoft with egg on their face.

Backwards compatibility with Wii software and - from the looks of things - Wii accessories (seen some shots where the Wii Remote Plus is being used) could be a solid first step towards customer retention in the new generation.

I think we need to temper the 'Nintendo kicked their ass' enthusiasm here. If there's anything we've learned over the last 15-20 years, it is that the top dog in one generation has rarely pulled out a big win in the next generation.

This industry is a very humbling endeavor. More often than not, the company that has got their ass kicked in the previous generation has been the one to make great advances going forward. Rarely has a company stayed the top dog in two successive systems. Of course, there may be some question whether this is an upgraded Wii or actually a new system. Not really sure this is a 'new' system.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #71
MJ4H
Coordinator

Here is a pretty good look at the controller and what kinds of things it will be used for. It also has a bit more that Zelda in HD stuff we saw earlier.

Nintendo Wii U Hands On: An Entirely Different Way to See Things

Summary: It feels really, nice, it's light, and it works great.

"We haven't even seen the beginning of what this thing is capable of, but one thing's clear today: It works, and it's a hell of a lot of fun."

Last edited by MJ4H : 06-07-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #72
RainMaker
General Manager

People always underestimate Nintendo because they don't cater to your stereotypical gamer. Not everyone is looking to play an endless stream of FPS.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #73
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
People always underestimate Nintendo because they don't cater to your stereotypical gamer. Not everyone is looking to play an endless stream of FPS.

Your comment seems to directly conflict exactly who Nintendo is targeting with their conference. They showed an endless stream of games that will now be possible which were mostly mature FPS and hack-and-slash games.

Let's be honest here. Microsoft and Sony added peripherals to allow for motion control. Nintendo is upgrading their console early to catch up with MS and Sony on the HD front along with adding a SixAxis controller with a 6.2" screen so they don't have to call it SixAxis. The developments over the last year have left us with three very similar systems in the end.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Careful not to confuse "underestimate" with "mocking the hell out of them for what they serve up".

I mean, Idol is a hit TV show but I alternate between LOL'ing at the masses for watching it, being saddened by what passes for entertainment (or music) these days and looking at the numbers & what not about it for detached analysis.

Point being, not everything is analysis, not everything is trying to estimate whether it's good for Nintendo shareholders.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-07-2011 at 06:24 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #75
Atocep
Coordinator

Nintendo is definitely targeting the stereotypical gamer here.

The Wii U's Title Lineup Touts the Console's Hardcore Cred

Quote:
A montage video of third-party video games coming to Wii U left no doubt that this will not be a kid's stuff console. In addition to high definition visuals, titles like Alien: Colonial Marines and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge showed Nintendo's intention to make something with hardcore gamer appeal.

Shown during a video montage at Wii U's E3 unveiling were games such as Ghost Recon Online, Assassin's Creed, Darksiders II and DiRT. Ninja Gaiden 3, pointedly, showed Ryu cleaving foes with his sword, blood spattering everywhere.

Following the montage, Electronic Arts president John Riccitiello took the stage, noting it was the first time the publisher had appeared at Nintendo's E3 keynote. Riccitiello touted Wii U's unique functionality in EA Sports titles such as Madden NFL, saying its controller will reduce a lot of the game's information complexity and make tasks such as playcalling and pre-snap adjustments easier.

Wii U should definitely be a third console for simulation-quality sports publishers to rely on, after years of poor-selling, adapted motion-control titles with lower quality graphics.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #76
digamma
Torchbearer

My wife played the Wii U today. The note she sent me: "I want to make fun of how dorky this is, but it's soooo cool!!"
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #77
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

sounds like it'll be great for stuff like choosing plays in madden, etcetera
Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #78
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It would be nice to have that extra screen in COD if you set up a camera while you're playing an endless stream of FPS games.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #79
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
sounds like it'll be great for stuff like choosing plays in madden, etcetera

Dreamcast on steroids.

Performance Enhancing Controllers!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #80
Radii
Head Coach

Oops?

Nintendo admits its Wii U highlight reel was spiced up with PS3 and Xbox 360 footage -- Engadget
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #81
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Nintendo of America chief Reggie Fils-Aime has confirmed that to be the case in an interview with GameTrailers, where he also points out that the eventual Wii U games will look at least as good as their PS3 / 360 counterparts.

Comments like this one should set off alarm bells. It's well known that cross platform developers always work very hard to ensure the various versions of the game look as identical as possible. Reggie's fooling himself if he thinks those developers are going to do anything otherwise. The Wii U versions of the game are going to look the same as the PS360 games. The only difference in the games is going to be which motion controller they are programming for on that system.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #82
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Marketing speak. "At least as good" = "same".
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #83
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Marketing speak. "At least as good" = "same".

Exactly.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #84
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I know E3 is largely about new technology, but I have absolutely no interest in anything Nintendo related. The last time I played Nintendo was back in 1997-98 when I played a bunch of "Mario Kart" on a N-64 (I believe).

I also have no interest in Microsoft's Kinect.

This has made a bunch of the E3 news so far irrelevant for me.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #85
sabotai
General Manager

Saw a lot of footage for the next Elder Scrolls game on G4 last night. Looks pretty awesome.

http://youtu.be/ic6dKnv3WdU
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #86
flounder
High School Varsity

Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees "Wii U" and thinks "I look just like Buddy Holly".
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #87
MJ4H
Coordinator

hahaha

I pretty consistently think it's the college version of the Wii.

Last edited by MJ4H : 06-08-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #88
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ouch. Nintendo stock dropped 5% in Japanese trading after the Wii U announcement.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #89
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Your comment seems to directly conflict exactly who Nintendo is targeting with their conference. They showed an endless stream of games that will now be possible which were mostly mature FPS and hack-and-slash games.

Let's be honest here. Microsoft and Sony added peripherals to allow for motion control. Nintendo is upgrading their console early to catch up with MS and Sony on the HD front along with adding a SixAxis controller with a 6.2" screen so they don't have to call it SixAxis. The developments over the last year have left us with three very similar systems in the end.

It's a conference that isn't geared toward their core audience. They play to that the best they can. I have no doubt they are trying to expand their reach. But as we see with Nintendo, everyone mocks it, calls it behind the times, questions who will ever buy it, and then a shit ton of people do.

Sony and Microsoft added peripherals to catch up to Nintendo and grab their audience. Nintendo has the market on people who don't read video game sites, don't give a shit about frames per second or what engine it's built on.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #90
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
It's a conference that isn't geared toward their core audience. They play to that the best they can. I have no doubt they are trying to expand their reach. But as we see with Nintendo, everyone mocks it, calls it behind the times, questions who will ever buy it, and then a shit ton of people do.

Sony and Microsoft added peripherals to catch up to Nintendo and grab their audience. Nintendo has the market on people who don't read video game sites, don't give a shit about frames per second or what engine it's built on.

Maybe my perception is off, but my view of the Wii is that it was something that a ton of people bought, people like you described above, but ended up never really using.

If that's the case, then one would have to imagine that the Wii U will not sell very well.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #91
RainMaker
General Manager

They always had games at the top of the sales charts, so someone was using it.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #92
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

As noted before, it's very rare to see a company sustain sales in two straight systems. Nintendo is coming in with more of the same except in HD and additional peripherals (which is where they will attempt to make their profit). The last system (Wii) succeeded because of how innovative it was compared to other systems in regard to control. This system has none of that innovative feel. If anything, it feels like a step back a few years.

People seem to be banking on the fact that critics are wrong again. I'm not sure that will be the case. If anything, I think Nintendo just gave a bunch of people a really good reason to stick with their Wii for another 3-4 years until the next generation of consoles hits the market (which likely will include Nintendo).
Old 06-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #93
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
They always had games at the top of the sales charts, so someone was using it.

They had games at the top of the sales charts before. Nintendo first party games have always had a following, even on some of their lousy systems. They now have decided to create a system that basically matches what the other systems have and try to target the 'core gamer'. Those core gamers aren't going to go out and buy another system that runs the mature games at the same graphics level as their current system. They've compromised the position they had with the last system that made it so successful.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #94
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
As noted before, it's very rare to see a company sustain sales in two straight systems.

NES was #1, SNES was #1

PS1 was #1, PS2 was #1

Wii was #1, Wii U will be #1

Then either Microsoft or Sony will win two generations in a row.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #95
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Might be nothing more than a random blip but I thought this was interesting. Nintendo stock fell 5% after the Wii U reveal, taking the value down to pre-Wii levels.

Wii U Announced, Nintendo Stocks Fall In Wake - G4tv.com
Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #96
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
NES was #1, SNES was #1

PS1 was #1, PS2 was #1

Wii was #1, Wii U will be #1

Then either Microsoft or Sony will win two generations in a row.

I am interested to see how the Wii U success will be measured since we have two systems that will sell over the same period that Nintendo releases two individual systems. We'll also see if releasing what amounts to an upgrade in the middle of a generation is a good idea. The Wii is only as successful as its successor in this case.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #97
Atocep
Coordinator

By jumping the gun this much on a cycle Nintendo loses some of the new console advantages. Developers tend to develop to the least powerful of the system (assuming the consoles are close enough in power to do that) when making multiplatform games. Even if the Wii U has an edge in raw horsepower we're unlikely to see it any difference in the games Nintendo was hyping.

The console will sell very well. Everyone should know by now to not doubt Nintendo and I've seen far more positive reactions to the Wii U than negative so any comparisons to the Wii just don't fit.

I don't see Nintendo winning the next cycle by the margin they did this cycle. A good portion of the people they got to buy the Wii just aren't the type to run out and buy a new console every generation. We're also likely to see what Microsoft and Sony have planned for the next cycle by the time the Wii U is released and both of those machines are likely to be big steps forward in terms of power. If the differences are large enough Nintendo could find itself in the same position it is now where developers pass on Nintendo for many of the crossplatform titles.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #98
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't see Nintendo winning the next cycle by the margin they did this cycle. A good portion of the people they got to buy the Wii just aren't the type to run out and buy a new console every generation. We're also likely to see what Microsoft and Sony have planned for the next cycle by the time the Wii U is released and both of those machines are likely to be big steps forward in terms of power. If the differences are large enough Nintendo could find itself in the same position it is now where developers pass on Nintendo for many of the crossplatform titles.

But what is the next cycle? Sony and Microsoft are going to sit put for another 3-4 years at a minimum. Nintendo has given them the opportunity to sit tight and milk the cash cow since their specs don't exceed what the PS360 has. There's no chance that Microsoft or Sony push out info on a new console any sooner than that.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #99
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I am interested to see how the Wii U success will be measured since we have two systems that will sell over the same period that Nintendo releases two individual systems. We'll also see if releasing what amounts to an upgrade in the middle of a generation is a good idea. The Wii is only as successful as its successor in this case.

The classification thing is a kind of a funny one. I guess it will be compared to the next MS and Sony consoles even if they aren't out until late 2015 (I doubt it will be that long though) since that will still be closer a 2012 launch than 2005/6. The Dreamcast is considered to be in the same generation as the XBox1 and Gamecube despite coming out two years before them (three if you count Dreamcast's much earlier launch in Japan). But either way the grouping won't be fit as well as it did this generation when they all came out within 12 months of each other.

Quote:
Nintendo has given them the opportunity to sit tight and milk the cash cow since their specs don't exceed what the PS360 has.

This has not been proven yet. It remains to be seen whether the Wii U specs are practically even with PS3/360, somewhat better, or significantly better. I'm still hoping for significantly better but am expecting disappointment.

But as you said, Sony and Microsoft will be fine for now either way imo.

Last edited by Big Fo : 06-08-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #100
MJ4H
Coordinator

I don't think Nintendo has even decided what the specs will be, yet. Also, plenty of people have said it appears to be much better than ps3/360 power based on what they are showing now (which there is no indication will be the final product, horsepower-wise--launch is still well over a year away).

Best to just wait and see. Trying to guess on things like this is really kind of silly at this point.